BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's Smallwood type talk imo.

"Give him another 12 months because he's a good old boy around the place."

Downing did a lot better than I expected he would when he signed but he hasn't been earth shattering. Time to let him move on with our good wishes. We need better if we're to challenge.

Its clearly nothing like Smallwood. Downing has played for England and at the top level of club football. Clearly that's a good role model to have around the training ground. Plus he clearly contributes more on the field than Smallwood. 

• Backroom

Danny Graham isn't a legend, but he's made a massive and positive contribution to our club.

Same league as Hignett, Short, Rhodes, Mimms, Samba, McCarthy, Todd, Warnock, Thompson, Gallacher etc

• Like 9

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Its clearly nothing like Smallwood. Downing has played for England and at the top level of club football. Clearly that's a good role model to have around the training ground. Plus he clearly contributes more on the field than Smallwood. 

I know what he's done in the past and on the basis of what I saw last season if we were bringing in a 29 year old Downing it'd be a good move.

He's not good enough now if we want to challenge imo.

Just now, Mike E said:

Danny Graham isn't a legend, but he's made a massive and positive contribution to our club.

Same league as Hignett, Short, Rhodes, Mimms, Samba, McCarthy, Todd, Warnock, Thompson, Gallacher etc

Graham's done all right at times and not so well at others such as the season we went down and the first part of the season inLeague 1.

No where near in the same bracket as Rhodes imo and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as a player of the quality of Samba.

• Like 3

Graham has been decent for us and I love the guy but certainly isn't a club legend - and let's be honest he's been made to look a lot better than he is by being about 3 levels above any other striker we've had apart from Arma in his time here. 

One thing I will say is that he offers us something no one else at the club has - the ability to hold the ball up in the opposition half. I can only assume we couldn't really afford to keep him (as a bench player at least) but I can't say I'm not concerned at the prospect of not having a real alternative unless Gallagher/Brereton turn into different players over the next 2 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Seems Tony has, promoting young chorley man to the bench ahead of them.

I was speaking to a relative of Jordan's the other night & apparently, when he signed his contract a couple of weeks ago, he was told that he'd be 'involved next season.

Make of that what you will, but I see that as we might only be looking for a number 1!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Samba diminished it by refusing to play, prtotesting twice to get moves. Moving outside the window when we couldn’t get anyone else. He’s a dick

• Like 3

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Samba diminished it by refusing to play, prtotesting twice to get moves. Moving outside the window when we couldn’t get anyone else. He’s a dick

I’d agree with you completely in normal circumstances, but at the time Venky’s, Kean and Anderson were at the height of their demolition job on the club. So the circumstances were as far as possible from normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I know what he's done in the past and on the basis of what I saw last season if we were bringing in a 29 year old Downing it'd be a good move.

He's not good enough now if we want to challenge imo.

Depends on the terms really. I think young lads could learn a lot from him. More than they would from Smallwood anyway, no disrespect to the lad. 

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

I’d agree with you completely in normal circumstances, but at the time Venky’s, Kean and Anderson were at the height of their demolition job on the club. So the circumstances were as far as possible from normal.

So not a legend then? I know what your saying but he fucked his teammates of and the fans. That is not a making of any legend really imo.

Tugay in my era but I remember meeting Bryan Douglas at his stadium naming the room was in awe of him amongst the older generation so that kinda gives you a yardstick on how to measure “legendary” status for me.

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

At that time I really wouldn't blame anyone for wanting out. 

I had almost given up! Well not really,but if I was a player, feck that I would be gone. Shite manager ,toxic atmosphere and no end in sight. 

Is he a legend though,nah, probably below that level. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

18 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

So not a legend then? I know what your saying but he fucked his teammates of and the fans. That is not a making of any legend really imo.

Tugay in my era but I remember meeting Bryan Douglas at his stadium naming the room was in awe of him amongst the older generation so that kinda gives you a yardstick on how to measure “legendary” status for me.

Douglas was Tugay with added pace. The nearest to him playing now - Eden Hazard on a good day.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

We still lost our most bankable players from time to time. Duff and Dunn in one summer, and later, even still being in and around those European nights, Bentley, Friedel, Warnock, Roque, Bellamy....

I agree, much as I liked Matty as a player,  with the form he was in he would have been off before too long.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

For his experience alone I would keep him around. Not as a starter though. 

I'd like to think those days are gone. We can't afford to have players just hanging around on big bucks. I thought we did well to get what we did out of him. Let's not push our luck. I think the " wall " came knocking on his door during the shut down

Samba was a good player and we made his career but he is not a club legend. Matty isnt either but could have been if it wasnt for that accident. Tugay and Freidal are the most recent club legends in my book. 

• Like 2

I think some are being a bit harsh on Downing, has he not been one of our better players this season? I agree his form dropped off after the lockdown but not to the extent that he was suddenly appalling. Pre-lockdown he was firmly in the running for player of the season. 

You also have to remember that in true TM style he was shunted all over the place (although I always thought it was a good idea to have him at LB over the other dross we have there). I think, at the right price, he is worth keeping for a season certainly over the likes of Bennett, Smallwood etc). 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Would surely a be a number 2 - especially considering that article says he would be number two at Ipswich. 

It’s just hard for me to believe we target Cornell, a career League 2 guy. 

Edited by WacoRover

For me this summer we obviously have some hefty work to do. But I would still like to see a couple of departures.

Have obviously read people's views over the last week or two and bit my tongue waiting on the final list of confirmed departures through expired contracts.

My thoughts are:

Sell/Release:

• Derrick Williams (injury prone / inconsistent / wages)
  • Charlie Mulgrew (injury prone / inconsistent / wages)
  • Elliott Bennett (wages / inconsistent / poor in natural posion + worse in other)

Players some want to depart, but I think would be a mistake:

• Bradley Johnson (experience needed)
  • Harry Chapman (can come good)
  • Sam Gallagher (tall option)
  • Ben Brereton (ball play option)

Players I want retained:

•     Stewart Downing (experience / leader)
Edited by RovingRover
  • Like 1

Agree on the first 3 but it's all about the takers and who is going to pay then what they are on here ?  Nobody is the blunt answer plus Mowbray worships Bennett and seems to rate Derek.

Mulgrew i wouldn't be surprised to see them waste a hefty lump on paying him off, we are nice like that.  Personally i'd loan him out i'm sure he's enough good rep to get a gig somewhere.  THen he can go for nothing eventually.

45 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Samba was a good player and we made his career but he is not a club legend. Matty isnt either but could have been if it wasnt for that accident. Tugay and Freidal are the most recent club legends in my book. 

Even friedel who for me is the best keeper the PL saw when he was at Blackburn. He destroyed it in the end handing a transfer request to Ince as Villa dangled a huge signing on fee and wages whilst his business of academies was on the edge.

Forget Ronaldo, Tugay is up there with Petit for me of players I’ve seen live who were amazing.

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 2