BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

A bit off topic regarding transfers, but in my era regarding legends (90s onwards and players only obviously)

Legendary

Shearer 
Tugay

2nd Tier

Friedel
Dunn 
Jansen 
Flowers, Hendry, Wilcox and pretty much the whole 95 team

3rd Tier

Nelson 
Duff 
Pedersen

Graham, Samba etc are all outside of this for me.

Dack fires us up to the PL then he‘s there

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you're not 100% regarding Downing that should really be enough to tell you maybe it's time to part company. 

He’s not sure because Downing hasn’t gone yet.

If Mowbray keeps him on it will be the right decision. If Mowbray lets him go it will be the right decision.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He’s not sure because Downing hasn’t gone yet.

If Mowbray keeps him on it will be the right decision. If Mowbray lets him go it will be the right decision.

Already explained why I'm unsure. Good performances before the lockdown. Poor pre lockdown. 

I will still be unsure on him cos we need to see how he performs next season. 

16 minutes ago, superniko said:

A bit off topic regarding transfers, but in my era regarding legends (90s onwards and players only obviously)

Legendary

Shearer 
Tugay

2nd Tier

Friedel
Dunn 
Jansen 

3rd Tier

Nelson 
Duff 
Pedersen

Don’t disagree with that but it’s strange how us fans determine the rules for being a legend take Tugay for example , nobody would argue his legendary status but (without double checking the facts) my guess is Sherwood played more , scored more goals and Captained the championship winning team but is not considered a legend presumably because of the way he left

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Already explained why I'm unsure. Good performances before the lockdown. Poor pre lockdown. 

I will still be unsure on him cos we need to see how he performs next season. 

Best get your crystal ball out then because we’ll have to decide before he pull on a Rovers shirt again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd like to think those days are gone. We can't afford to have players just hanging around on big bucks. I thought we did well to get what we did out of him. Let's not push our luck. I think the " wall " came knocking on his door during the shut down

It depends on how he is used. I think he adds value to the team if brought on at certain times. It's a young team. 

11 minutes ago, AJW said:

Don’t disagree with that but it’s strange how us fans determine the rules for being a legend take Tugay for example , nobody would argue his legendary status but (without double checking the facts) my guess is Sherwood played more , scored more goals and Captained the championship winning team but is not considered a legend presumably because of the way he left

I go back further than you guys, so got me thinking who my legendary team would include?

came up with this:

Goal - Friedel, Jones,

Defence - Newton, Hendry, England, Nelson, Le Saux, Clayton

mid - Tugay, Douglas, Ripley, Duff, Wilcox, Sherwood, Vernon

forward - Shearer, Sutton, Pickering, McEvoy

Nb.  I know Ripley and Wilcox will not be many people’s choice but I thought they where superb as they supplied the outlet.

probably some obvious ones I have missed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, superniko said:

Legendary

Shearer 
Tugay

2nd Tier

Friedel
Dunn 
Jansen 

3rd Tier

Nelson 
Duff 
Pedersen

I'd have hendry in the legendary bracket. I absolutely loved watching him in a rovers shirt 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

I go back further than you guys, so got me thinking who my legendary team would include?

came up with this:

Goal - Friedel, Jones,

Nb.  I know Ripley and Wilcox will not be many people’s choice but I thought they where superb as they supplied the outlet.

No Garner ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

came up with this:

Goal - Friedel, Jones,

I'll be hated for this but I think hendry was massively overrated. Sure he stuck his head in where it hurts but only to rectify his own mistakes a lot of the time. Now Berg, he was a legend!!!

2 hours ago, Bohinen 22 said:

From my time following Rovers, Shearer, Brad and Tugay would be legends. You could argue also any of the title winning squad just for the achievement. No one else.

Agree with this. To not have Brad on the list would be daft as he was immense for us for many years and a model pro. 

Don't begrudge him leaving for financial difficulties or dislike of Ince as he didn't move prior to this and gave many years good service. 

The second tier list is a more interesting conundrum. What would any modern player have to do to get it? Unlikely to be trophys anytime soon or good players giving us lengthy service. 

Hughes would perhaps get on the second list for me albeit more for his management of us. Think had Berg done better as a manager he would have been definite on the list - involved in both our successful periods as a player, and a decent run as manager may have been enough to make him a legend rather than soured his legacy. 

9 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

I'll be hated for this but I think hendry was massively overrated. Sure he stuck his head in where it hurts but only to rectify his own mistakes a lot of the time. Now Berg, he was a legend!!!

Hated no ...disagree with certainly Hendry was not particularly quick but even up against the quicker strikers in the league such as Wright Cole Ferdinand etc was rarely done for pace and if you wanted to mix it with him he was as strong as on ox and the times I’ve seen him throw his body on the line was usually down to somebody else’s mistakes

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Noel was my first memory hero, plus he used to come to junior rovers presentation evenings all the time....what a lad, played in the 82 world cup and could go past a man either way. 

His breakaway 1-on-1 to put us 3-0 up in the first half at the Turd on Boxing Day ‘77 is one of my favourite all-time Rovers moments.

14 minutes ago, AJW said:

Hated no ...disagree with certainly Hendry was not particularly quick but even up against the quicker strikers in the league such as Wright Cole Ferdinand etc was rarely done for pace and if you wanted to mix it with him he was as strong as on ox and the times I’ve seen him throw his body on the line was usually down to somebody else’s mistakes

The trouble with Hendry was that he left to go to City, thought the grass was greener.  I know a lot of the squad at the time weren't happy with him.

10 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

His breakaway 1-on-1 to put us 3-0 up in the first half at the Turd on Boxing Day ‘77 is one of my favourite all-time Rovers moments.

I'm a bit young to remember that, mine was his cracker v Chelsea in the 3rd round of the cup at ewood....around 1980/81

41 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

That's your opinion. But I think it's way off the mark. Lol berg was good. Took him a while to settle if I remember correctly, but he always had a mistake in him. Personally I'd have Nelson and samba before berg

11 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If Warren Lucy is reading then he has had his first history lesson into Blackburn Rovers and with any luck won't be calling Elliott Bennett a club legend when he leaves on a free in 12 months time.

Warren doesn’t run the socials. He’s website and editorial/ a bit of commentary too. I think it’s a lad called Tom Jarvis who posts the social media accounts these days.

Shame we lost Ryan Grant though, sure he had the benefit of a promotion season but the content that year was top notch.

9 hours ago, m1st said:

We haven't had a "Rovers' legend", since the 1990s, imo.

Could be deemed harsh on David Dunn, maybe even harsh on Tugay. But yes, the word legend is banded around too easily. My definition of legend is more related to how remembered somebody will be in let’s say 20 years time. For me, the likes of Tugay and Dunn (post 90’s) will be remembered. 

Obviously the likes of Danny Graham will not be discussed in 20 years time. 

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Warren doesn’t run the socials. He’s website and editorial/ a bit of commentary too. I think it’s a lad called Tom Jarvis who posts the social media accounts these days.

Shame we lost Ryan Grant though, sure he had the benefit of a promotion season but the content that year was top notch.

Was it? It has always seemed the same to me but then again, im not one for the over the top social media, the new player videos, the emojis, maybe I am old beyond my time though.

I am just wondering what sort of things people want/expect/enjoy on social media. Main reason I look at it is when teams are announced to be honest. I always found it odd when people gave so much praise to the twitter guy during the promotion season.

Edited by roversfan99

4 hours ago, AJW said:

Sherwood is absolutely on the list, in fact the whole bloody 94/95 squad are.

• Like 3