BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

35 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Davenport would be the one I'd move on.

Evans reads the game well and good at tackling.

Johnson good at shooting and good in the air.

I think Johnson and Gallagher are good to bring on in the last 15 minutes if we are winning to defend against ariel bombardments.

Think i'd look to loan Davenport if they aren't going to use him, wouldn't close the door completely yet.

Evans is Evans he merits a place in the squad but given his injuries, his international commitments and wages i think i'd take the chance to move him on if there was a good offer. Only if we were replacing him with something good though like Whiteman otherwise i'd get rid of Johnson and look to phase Evans out this season unless he proves otherwise.

Rovers transfer update 17/9/20

Giddy with success of actually signing a defender TM and Rovers fans alike are talking about bringing in a left back. In fact the only person connected with Rovers not talking about or excited about a possible left back is a certain Mr Bell. 

With Travis's injury there is debate as to whether the midfield can manage without a replacement. Discussion on the quality of our current midfielders is really a tallest dwarf situation and rather depressing given the candidates are: talented but unfit and injury prone (Holtby) highly injury prone and holder of the Vince Grella most time out award (Evans) unfit and untalented (Johnson) and marginalised and unknown  (Davenport).

It does however start another debate about Rothwell. "He's not played there much but looks really promising when he has, why doesn't TM play him there more." I'm sure we've had this conversation before. 

In a bid to defend Rovers new formation and the lack of a role for Dack within it, certain posters suggest that Dack won't be ready for first team football until January 2023 and even then might come back as the reincarnation of Chris Brown. 

One poster raises the question of who will score the goals should Armstrong go/be injured as none of the others look like breaking double figures. Or high single figures for that matter. Another points out our problem is actually  keeping goals out. Sadly the two statements are not mutually exclusive suggesting there's still plenty of work to do in the transfer window. 

There's no new signings today but we've had one this week. Two seems a little greedy for Rovers fans even the squad is still in need of desperate reinforcements. Besides where's the fun (and debate) if we actually had a fully functioning squad? 

• Like 4

I don't know what they're paying at QPR, but I wonder if there's any chance we could nab Ryan Manning off them. 

I know he's been linked with some PL and Championship clubs, but there's been no movement yet. 

He's been frozen out at QPR, due to the contract stand off. Best as a left back and also decent playing left midfield. 

Edited by Traviscon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Traviscon said:

I don't know what they're paying at QPR, but I wonder if there's any chance we could nab Ryan Manning off them. 

I know he's been linked with some PL and Championship clubs, but there's been no movement yet. 

He's been frozen out at QPR, due to the contract stand off. Best as a left back and also decent playing left midfield. 

Would be a very good shout. With a year left on his contract I doubt he would break the bank, however still more than I would expect us to be spending.

• Like 1

As much as Johnson isn't hitting the standard we hope for, he adds a bite to the midfield that others don't, particularly with battles for headers. 

Take that, Travs energy, Holtbys passing and vision, Evans positioning and Rothwells dribbling, we could create one very good midfielder. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, alex l said:

As much as Johnson isn't hitting the standard we hope for, he adds a bite to the midfield that others don't, particularly with battles for headers. 

Take that, Travs energy, Holtbys passing and vision, Evans positioning and Rothwells dribbling, we could create one very good midfielder. 

Sounds more like we’d have a midfielder that runs sideways across the pitch and gets injured every week ?

Struggling to understand writing Davenport off when we have Evans stealing a living for years constantly injured and getting older , The epitome of stagnation , Johnson who is in his 30s and couldn’t catch a bus without blowing out his arse an Then there is Davenport a young lad who has had an exceptional apprenticeship at Man City where he captained a very good young side, rave reviews at burton and done nothing wrong when played in our first 11 even man of the match on my opinion on his debut. 

people are write we do need to sign someone and move people out , but it certainly shouldn’t be davenport

he should start along side travis and be the anchor to let travis express himself abit more and make use of his engine 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Struggling to understand writing Davenport off when we have Evans stealing a living for years constantly injured and getting older , The epitome of stagnation , Johnson who is in his 30s and couldn’t catch a bus without blowing out his arse an Then there is Davenport a young lad who has had an exceptional apprenticeship at Man City where he captained a very good young side, rave reviews at burton and done nothing wrong when played in our first 11 even man of the match on my opinion on his debut. 

people are write we do need to sign someone and move people out , but it certainly shouldn’t be davenport

he should start along side travis and be the anchor to let travis express himself abit more and make use of his engine 

Watched him a lot of times and have never once been impressed. Evans is an international player and part of the side that won 6 out of 7.

Saying that I would like to see us sign a tough tacking midfielder, or bring back Tosin to play there when Ayala and Lenihan are both fit.

• Moderation Lead
14 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I’ve legit seen him play for about ten minutes at the end of one season in the final game. 
He looked decent tbh, but, I’ve no idea of his qualities, but now would be the time for him to make his mark if Travis is out, surely?

As an aside, I think a lot of the criticism of Johnson is over the top. He’s inconsistent, but he does contribute overall, IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

As an aside, I think a lot of the criticism of Johnson is over the top. He’s inconsistent, but he does contribute overall, IMO.

He has good games. He is known to sometimes be unplayable for half a match. He contributes sometimes. But when he isn't doing, he's a serious liability. That, his lack of fitness and his high wage are why he gets a lot of flak, but I agree some people are OTT with it. He was described as having no talent and that's not true.

But I'd look to get rid if possible and certainly hope we don't extend his deal or rely on him a lot this year.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I’ve legit seen him play for about ten minutes at the end of one season in the final game. 
He looked decent tbh, but, I’ve no idea of his qualities, but now would be the time for him to make his mark if Travis is out, surely?

You would like to think he now would be the perfect time to give him chance but we have all seen with chapman that travis injury means nothing when Tony doesn’t fancy a player .

His style of play is like Michael carrick (obv not at his level or quality) . Reads the game well, recycles the ball, got a tackle in him and protect the back four

20 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Watched him a lot of times and have never once been impressed. Evans is an international player and part of the side that won 6 out of 7.

Saying that I would like to see us sign a tough tacking midfielder, or bring back Tosin to play there when Ayala and Lenihan are both fit.

I’ve watched him enough to know he is the best of the rest after travis and has the potential to improve his game, the team and his resale value. I know travis game would Improve if he played at the side of him as an anchor.  I also know Evans is an international. He prioritises his country over club every year. He is an ageing crock who had been at the club far to long and has contributed so little and is only going to get worse . It’s time he was moved on and a fresh edge brought to the team. 

• Like 4

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-loan-market-transfers-18950336

I'm annoyed by a couple of things in this interview. One being Mowbray's insistence on being honest that players won't be automatic picks. Sure, they shouldn't be, but just blag it like every other club who pretends they'll give them guaranteed starts and then doesn't if they're not up to it, you're hampering us here. Different if the club wants financial penalties for not playing them obviously.

Also, he told Reece James, who recently started and scored for Chelsea, that he would have to get the shirt off Nyambe. Whilst the standard of competition is higher in this case as Nyambe is a good player, it's very reminiscent of when he told Reed he needed to learn from Smallwood and Evans, and told Bauer he would have to compete with Del and Mulgrew. Players don't want to hear that shit, especially when they're really good or need game time.

You can be honest and still present it positively. "I do see you as being first pick in this position because I really rate you as a player and I'm excited to bring you in. You'll definitely get a proper chance to make the shirt your own. Just remember we have very high standards here and you'll have to maintain them to stay in the side."  Versus "Well if you work really hard in training I'll give you a chance after a month or so." I definitely get the impression these meetings with Tony are closer to the latter than the former.

One more thing actually, he said players have to prove themselves on the training ground first, 'especially' young players. No Tony, not especially young players, it should be all players the same. If anything, especially older players, because they're probably not going to improve whereas young players need games to do so. He isn't resistant to playing youngsters of course, we have quite a few in the side, but I definitely think this attitude towards them has held him back at times. Senior players get easy street comparatively.

• Like 6

Like i said originally the min we are in for an ex Boro lad we land them but seem to miss everything else. He's more or less confirming in that that it isn't always down to money he isn't doing the convincing selling job on them.

Comments also on good young players on 1.5 mill per year but no way on earth are they all on that. He only seems to look at City/Chelsea and Liverpools good youngsters so i don't know what they expect. There are lots of others out there and other clubs manage it yet again it's like Rovers are unique in this situation. Out of all the top club young loanees we've had only really one was really looking like he warranted the hype.

Think outside the box a bit and look a bit deeper than the fanciful stuff.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Like i said originally the min we are in for an ex Boro lad we land them but seem to miss everything else. He's more or less confirming in that that it isn't always down to money he isn't doing the convincing selling job on them.

Comments also on good young players on 1.5 mill per year but no way on earth are they all on that. He only seems to look at City/Chelsea and Liverpools good youngsters so i don't know what they expect. There are lots of others out there and other clubs manage it yet again it's like Rovers are unique in this situation. Out of all the top club young loanees we've had only really one was really looking like he warranted the hype.

Think outside the box a bit and look a bit deeper than the fanciful stuff.

In fairness though, under TM we have only had one loan from a top club that I can remember, so that's a 100 percent hit rate when loaning them. Other loanees have been from lesser Prem sides and one Championship side. Reed, great success from Southampton, Cunningham, success until injured, Walton, dogshit from Brighton, Harper from WBA who was dogshit, Antonsson from Leeds who did an alright job, Payne from Hudds who we didn't really need but was ok, and Armstrong who was a success and made perm.

So the notion that we only really try from the top top clubs doesn't really add up. Also, with a small sample of one player from a big club who did well, the results have been better, although that's a very limited sample to go off! But our non top club loans have been a mixed bag. I might be forgetting some. We had some other lad on loan from Manure I think, years ago, was shit but the name escapes me. Think it was just before TM though.

Edited by bluebruce

3 hours ago, Traviscon said:

He would be very good signing for us would Manning. Good player. The type of left back we need

• Like 1

That article seems to corroborate several posters thoughts about loans over permanent signings.  Pointless paying million pound loan fees if they aren't going to get you up.  Has to be the final piece in a jigsaw or no point.  Buy and develop your own.

No idea of his value but the lad Pickering at Crewe looks a decent shout.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 2

Sky are reporting that Arsenal and Brentford are still talking about Raya.Brentford are open to selling him to Arsenal but only on the condition that Arsenal loan him back for the season 

'Arsenal target Raya but Brentford demand loan back'

https://www.skysports.com/share/12074492

Edited by islander200

Manning would be a great addition for left-back. Lovely ripe age of 24, highly rated as both a defensive and attacking player. Last year of contract so cheaper than normal, and not on silly Premier League wages. 

Ayala and Manning, with Kaminski too, would be Mowbray best window at the club to date.