BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

30 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Playing hypothetical, assuming TM has approx 1.5m to play with, which is not an unreasonable guess. 

If he needs say minimum of 2 players, ie a lb and either keeper back up or Travis cover, a signing on fee of £200,000 - £250,000  per player should leave enough for salaries of around £10,000 pw which again is probably about where Rovers are. 

Or is that too simplistic? 

Who comes in for £200,000-250,000 that's good enough to be a squad player? You could maybe pick up a Marcus Maddison on a freebie to come and sit on the bench, but I can't see him enjoying that. Not many cheap/free players around that actually add any real quality to our squad.

Edited by JoeH

23 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Thing is Gregg, there can be no begging bowl next summer. Our three year FFP cycle will be up and we will either have broken our budget for it or be very close.

I'm not sure on the specifics of the rules, but maybe you could argue that if we are just about inside it, we wouldn't get judged on it again for another season, meaning we could in theory have one last splurge and charge? But even assuming it works that way, can anybody really see the club, nevermind Venkys, taking that risk and massively over shooting the rules the next summer, getting sanctions for sure?

No point anybody mentioning the potential loopholes around it either, we are late enough into these processes to know that Venkys have no stomach for that. It would take them years to arrange at their pace too.

In essence, the league's rules will be dictating our budget from next summer on. That may even be the real source of limitation this summer too. It's not like we won't be aware of how close we are to it even before covid came along.

Really, it's this season or practically start all over again and sell to buy from then on. This is the last time we could really roll the dice on spending to go up. We clearly aren't. 

Well this helps my arguement that if the taps are turned off we need to give as many of the youth lads ( that are good enough) minutes in a season we won’t get promoted to find out who is good enough and get them as much experience as possible Ready for next to give us the best chance of survival, raising the price of our assets and going into a season as relatively prepared as possible in any scenario 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I dont agree. I think we can be mid table IF we avoid any more injuries and IF our key men do the business.

However if we continue to sustain injuries or key men lose form our lack of depth and options is alarming and will probably see us struggle.

Even if we were in with a chance of the play offs, should we really be relying on luck to potentially 'sneak into' the play offs? Or should we be aiming higher and trying to take luck out of the equation as much as possible?

So you think the loss of Downing ,Tosin and Walton will make us relegation candidates if we lose any through injury?

The rest of the departures hardly played.

Rankin Costello seems to have taken to championship football, Buckley improving with every game, Improvement with Brereton, the emergence of Dolan.Dack, Evans and Gallagher to  to come back from injury.

I agree we are a few short of a sustained promotion challenge but the squad as it is will finish in the top half 

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

So you think the loss of Downing ,Tosin and Walton will make us relegation candidates if we lose any through injury?

The rest of the departures hardly played.

Rankin Costello seems to have taken to championship football, Buckley improving with every game, Improvement with Brereton, the emergence of Dolan.Dack, Evans and Gallagher to  to come back from injury.

I agree we are a few short of a sustained promotion challenge but the squad as it is will finish in the top half 

Potentially yes. We are a side that goes from one extreme to the other. At times we can test anyone and outplay sides with great football. We can have runs of 4 or 5 games where we produce good results but we can just as easily go 5 games without a win and struggle by leaking goals.

We aren't a side that will grind out 0-0s or narrow 1-0 wins. Mowbray just doesn't have that approach in his locker. It will be all about trying to outplay and outscore opposition teams. I think sides like the Millwalls, Birminghams etc. with managers used to absorbing pressure will relish playing us.

I think it is too early to talk about relying on Dolan or Brereton. Whilst the signs may be positive so far it is very early days. The Championship is a long hard season usually for the tried and tested.

If we continue as we are i think we are likely to be anywhere between 12th and 18th. Lose a few to injury or sales and that could very easily drop to lower than 18th. It doesn't take much to happen in this league.

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We aren't a side that will grind out 0-0s or narrow 1-0 wins. Mowbray just doesn't have that approach in his locker. It will be all about trying to outplay and outscore opposition teams. I think sides like the Millwalls, Birminghams etc. with managers used to absorbing pressure will relish playing us.

Hang on. Are you saying Mr Cautious has been converted between seasons and has emerged as Mr Positive (or Mr Reckless if you prefer).

Doesn't compute with me, against everything he's done since he's been here. Mowbray would love it if we won games 1-0, he's just not able to achieve it.

47 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Agreed. We have a Category One youth system, proficient Under 23's team and superb training facilities so that new and improved players come through our ranks to replace those lost. Preston simply don't have this luxury. It's why we'll succeed over them in the future in my opinion.

We have no reason not to have a slight advantage over Preston long term, we have better infrastructure and a bit more money, so cant argue with that.

Preston were slightly ahead of us last season as the league table proved, and we lost much more in the summer, we had no keeper, Adarabioyo went back, Downing and Graham left. Our academy prospects havent really changed in terms of emergence solely this summer, Lenihan and Nyambe a key role, as does Travis although his injury is a blow, Rankin Costello is a squad filler for me, Buckley on the fringes too. Then again, we have signed a keeper, although we dont really know how good he is yet. We have signed a proven centre back. Plus a raw talent as a bonus wildcard. And of course, Preston seem likely to be vulnerable to losing players. Not that it really matters as a direct comparison unless we are directly competing for a top 6 place.

My point was more about our current squad situation in terms of contracts, and it going against the idea of a slow build. Most people seem to feel that we are destined for mid table, me included. I fear that we might have to do a bit of a restart if we dont go up this season however. If we get to the end of the season, we dont go up and Armstrong, Dack, Lenihan and Nyambe havent signed new deals, we might have to sell the first 3 (and potentially take a tribunal fee for the last) then it may be the start of a reset, and probably time for a new manager to go again. I just hope we can at least get some of them signed up, and/or of course get promoted!

15 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Kevin McDonald available on a free transfer from Fulham. Would be all over that if the wages arnt too much. Can play in central midfield and at CB and has two promotions in 3 seasons with Fulham. 

Looks like he's hardly played the past couple of seasons, has he been injured?. A no for me regardless, don't need another B. Johnson with no re-sale value and legs half gone.

I think earlier posts suggesting that Manning and other money signings depend on Raya/King deals getting over the line are spot on. It could potentially drag on until the end of the window but hopefully there's good news coming. We have a good mix of youth and experience in our current squad, and are only missing one or two pieces to the puzzle in order to challenge for promotion.

1 hour ago, TruRover said:

Kevin McDonald available on a free transfer from Fulham. Would be all over that if the wages arnt too much. Can play in central midfield and at CB and has two promotions in 3 seasons with Fulham. 

All over that. Fantastic player at this level.

5 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

The EFL are nuts and not fit for purpose. Just wait until the EFL begging bowl is out to the Premier League.

I do wonder if they're delaying changing it until the window shuts though, to keep clubs from overspending, then will decide on how it's going to change.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I do wonder if they're delaying changing it until the window shuts though, to keep clubs from overspending, then will decide on how it's going to change.

The whole point of FFP was an attempt to stop clubs spending beyond their means. Now every pound spent is above every clubs means beyond covering overheads.

The EFL, Premier League, UEFA and FIFA must all have their collective heads up their backsides if they don't come out and change policy and how money is distributed. It's crisis time but not one of the ruling bodies have come out with a strategy.

I think a back up GK is probably more pressing than a LB. If Kaminski gets injured then we are left with Fisher who is nowhere near ready for 1st team football. He would cost us so many points. Bell is shocking though, so we simply have to bring in a LB even if it is on loan. 

Personally I think TM is holding out for some money from the sale of King and possibly Raya. If that doesn't materialise, then I think he'll dip into the loan market. 

The nearly men. It’s surely our sh*t show of a set up off the pitch which leads to all of these near misses. The loons not answering the phone in Pune, their man on the ground Suhail having about as much football knowledge as my missus, Venus our assistant manager by day and chief scout/negotiator come night. No wonder so much doesn’t come off! 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

First choice left back needed, I repeat first choice left back needed.

If he really wants to move us forwards it's a must. Loan or otherwise.

Pretty much, yep. 

It's the weakest area in our starting 11 by some distance.

Doesn't seem like we have any younger players pushing for that place either.

• Like 1