BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

3 signings absolute minimum needed, assuming we have given over trying to shift Williams out and the manager starts speaking as though he is part of our plans moving forward.

Realistically it is 4 or 5 required to add the necessary depth to the squad given the outgoings.

The manager knows this, he said as much recently. Any subsequent scaling back is purely revising expectations off the back of repeated failures to secure targets.

You would hope comprehensive review of our recruitment strategy and operation would be conducted with changes then made given the number of targets we have publicly missed, rather than just leave it all to Tony and his mates to run like its 1975.

As I've said before you don't get points, credit or prizes for trying and failing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

3 signings absolute minimum needed, assuming we have given over trying to shift Williams out and the manager starts speaking as though he is part of our plans moving forward.

Realistically it is 4 or 5 required to add the necessary depth to the squad given the outgoings.

The manager knows this, he said as much recently. Any subsequent scaling back is purely revising expectations off the back of repeated failures to secure targets.

You would hope comprehensive review of our recruitment strategy and operation would be conducted with changes then made given the number of targets we have publicly missed, rather than just leave it all to Tony and his mates to run like its 1975.

As I've said before you don't get points, credit or prizes for trying and failing.

100% certainty you will be disappointed.

We are a long way off our window closing and the reality of playing the season without crowds could well be confirmed before it closes causing panic in numerous clubs.

Relatively, speaking this will benefit Rovers so whilst this week could be frustrating, being in position to be able to do deadline day business could well be our best tactic.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

The goalposts move again. Now one permanent signing "supplemented" by loans. Not one or the other.

Pears on perm Barry Douglas on loan ... I could cope with that give me Herbie Kane on loan as well and I will be ecstatic

Edited by AJW
  • Like 1

I feel like this is an impossible transfer window. I feel like the football world hasn't fully woken up to the aspect that COVID will have on each and every club up and down the sports world. With the main source of revenue withheld, clubs must now find the balance of spending cash to keep the fan interested, but with no future visibility as to what extent fans will be allowed back.  Rightfully, I feel the conversative approach will pay off, while frustrating things are falling in place and the impatient fan must unfortunately now more than ever be patient. On the positive i still feel like our hand may change because i feel a club will do us a favour! In favour i mean grab Raya and/or King. Get them both out we may be looking at 3-4m to spend which would allow us to get Whiteman, Manning, Pears. However, we do no need to get Mulgrew out his wages would help us so much to re-invest elsewhere. i feel unless the right loan player comes along then there is no need. I do believe in building and i am very much proud of the squad we have today. All players who i back passionately. Time will tell as to the outcome of this window, but I do think that good things come to those who wait.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Can’t listen at work but a brief summary would be appreciated or a link to listen later 

Not much said, more of a general chatter about all the sport. Thought with Rich in attendance there'd be more transfer disucssion. Rich reckons we'll see three in, one permanent and two loans.

I dont think that any sell on would just be added onto the transfer budget, although I may be wrong. Certainly not leading to us spending a few million on players in this window. I also dont think shifting Mulgrew would make much difference because we are going to have to pay the majority of his wage (or pay him off) either way.

Mowbray really seems to be struggling to get deals over the line, this unnamed left back, Garner on loan who it said we had an agreement for, Kipre, and initially Ayala, although in that instance, getting Ayala was a very good signing and whilst he lacks the longevity that Kipre would have given us as an asset, Ayala's experience and leadership is key.

Cunningham is again mentioned in that article but it reads as very much speculation on Rich Sharpe's behalf who said no approach has been made. He would be as good as we could hope for really assuming he stays fit, a very good left back at this level, although with a year left, I cant see Cardiff loaning him to us.

Unsure what the criteria would be in terms of a midfielder. I suspect that we could do with one who gives us maybe some energy and tenacity in there. I think that the midfield 3 did well on Saturday but maybe in more difficult games, maybe having Johnson or Evans, Holtby and then a third player (obviously in an ideal world Travis) would be a good mix, and then Rothwell can be an option from the left of the front 3.

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think that any sell on would just be added onto the transfer budget, although I may be wrong. Certainly not leading to us spending a few million on players in this window. I also dont think shifting Mulgrew would make much difference because we are going to have to pay the majority of his wage (or pay him off) either way.

Mowbray really seems to be struggling to get deals over the line, this unnamed left back, Garner on loan who it said we had an agreement for, Kipre, and initially Ayala, although in that instance, getting Ayala was a very good signing and whilst he lacks the longevity that Kipre would have given us as an asset, Ayala's experience and leadership is key.

Cunningham is again mentioned in that article but it reads as very much speculation on Rich Sharpe's behalf who said no approach has been made. He would be as good as we could hope for really assuming he stays fit, a very good left back at this level, although with a year left, I cant see Cardiff loaning him to us.

Unsure what the criteria would be in terms of a midfielder. I suspect that we could do with one who gives us maybe some energy and tenacity in there. I think that the midfield 3 did well on Saturday but maybe in more difficult games, maybe having Johnson or Evans, Holtby and then a third player (obviously in an ideal world Travis) would be a good mix, and then Rothwell can be an option from the left of the front 3.

I don't think we ever had an agreement on Garner. It was reported that we were one of several clubs interested. Whether Watford used their parachuts money and gave United the best deal, or the player preferred the move, we don't know.

Regarding the budget there seemed to be very mixed messages. From having more than one bid in on players, to now seemingly only be being able to afford one permanent. Obviously left-back should be the highest priority. At this point I don't care if it is a loan.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Arsenal have signed a new GK. Probably spells the end of any Raya pursuit.

Not guaranteed at all yet. There have been rumours that Arsenal will offer to loan Raya back to Brentford for the first season. If that's their plan then it makes sense to get another keeper as backup in the meantime. This one cost less than 2 mill, so nothing to a Prem club and considerably less than the Raya price. They might still have intent there.

12 hours ago, JHRover said:

One permanent or two loans matters not. It isnt enough either way.

Mowbray has admitted this earlier this summer, which is why he wanted two CBs, another goalkeeper, a LB and ideally a CM and RB. Since then we've added Ayala (good signing but doesn't cover two slots at once) and lost Travis probably until January (making a CM addition more important, though a loan in that position would be sensible rather than a permanent until Travis returns).

So it seems our shopping list has been revised down from another 5 players to one or maybe two (on loan).

Not good enough.

wasn't 2 centre backs on the basis that Williams would move on? 

A right back would be ideal but not a priority at this time. 

I don't see why we need a centre midfield when we still got 6 or 7 options for the centre midfield roles

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I wouldn't be trying to move Williams on. His performances have good enough. Does he want to leave for regular first team football? Are Swansea or Cardiff still interested in him? 

I think signing a back up keeper and left back I would be happy with this summer business. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbray really seems to be struggling to get deals over the line, this unnamed left back, Garner on loan who it said we had an agreement for, 

Well its depends what actually gone on with the left back signing. Did the selling club put the price up at the last minute or player's agent demand more money. who knows. But Mowbray's comments about QPR aren't just going to give him away was maybe a sign that the price or terms had change last minute. But something happened given thats from people comments on here and social media he was set to sign here. 

Also when did we have a agreement to sign Garner on loan? did it get that far? do you know we had agreement from someone you know at the club? 

on the midfielder, a few posters have suggested Herbie Kane as a suggestion. Would he fit the type of player we want? I don't know much about him so can't comment, but I would rather use the remaining funds for a left back and back up keeper who I hope are both permanent signings 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Not much said, more of a general chatter about all the sport. Thought with Rich in attendance there'd be more transfer disucssion. Rich reckons we'll see three in, one permanent and two loans.

Thanks Joe for the update. I would much prefer a permanent left back and back up keeper signings. I wouldn't be looking for a loan midfielder myself as I would be happy with the options we have there. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

Any Raya and or King income will just be a welcome contribution to the running costs I expect.

That's what usually happens to these add on installments. They just get quickly swallowed up. It'll cover the lack of match tickets.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

@chaddyrovers nope certainly not ITK nor have any desire to be! I got the Garner information from the Lancashire Telegraph:

"Mowbray has spoken about the financial difficulties of doing loan deals for Premier League prospects, but Rovers were understood to have reached an agreement with Manchester United for teenage midfielder James Garner."

I agree that left back is the key signing and we do need a back up keeper. Mowbrays comments about Bell and LB not being the priority are a concern. Also a shame that another target who we were close to (and dont know the identity of) got away at the last minute as others have done.

I think the Manning rumours were just a perfect example of transfer rumour chaos! Wed been linked with him prior, it snowballed into Rich Sharpe reporting simply historic interest, some people had wrong information that a deal had been done and it all snowballed to the point that our fans were mocking QPR fans on twitter!

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Any Raya and or King income will just be a welcome contribution to the running costs I expect.

That's what usually happens to these add on installments. They just get quickly swallowed up. It'll cover the lack of match tickets.

Very much so. Any hopes of a late transfer splurge based on sales of King and Raya seem fanciful in the extreme.

• Like 3

I dont think he is in the know at all chaddy, he was adamant that we wanted and had bid for Phillips at Charlton for ages (which all stemmed from that phoney "twitter journalist) he seemed sure that we were about to sign that Maghoma from Poland and on Friday he had to backtrack after implying that Manning was about to sign, admitting no insider knowledge at that point on a rumour that stemmed from Rich Sharpe claiming historical interest in previous transfer windows.

I think its just a junior journalist, not at the direct local newspaper of the club, who does get to attend press conferences but otherwise is very much summarising and pulling together what he can from the public domain and being as vague as possible.

Rich Sharpe is very slow to get news but he does at least seem to have a direct line to the club in terms of being able to dismiss stories that arent true. The left back story came from him that we were going to get an answer within 24 hours, whether people on here got their indications from him or vice versa, it seems that the left back was never as close as they said.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

@chaddyrovers nope certainly not ITK nor have any desire to be! I got the Garner information from the Lancashire Telegraph:

"Mowbray has spoken about the financial difficulties of doing loan deals for Premier League prospects, but Rovers were understood to have reached an agreement with Manchester United for teenage midfielder James Garner."

I agree that left back is the key signing and we do need a back up keeper. Mowbrays comments about Bell and LB not being the priority are a concern. Also a shame that another target who we were close to (and dont know the identity of) got away at the last minute as others have done.

I think the Manning rumours were just a perfect example of transfer rumour chaos! Wed been linked with him prior, it snowballed into Rich Sharpe reporting simply historic interest, some people had wrong information that a deal had been done and it all snowballed to the point that our fans were mocking QPR fans on twitter!

Quite often young players will have 4 or 5 clubs to speak after their agree a deal with the club. So I was never hopeful he would come here. 

Mowbray's comments post match on Saturday were baffling and he said we had no money then we do but only for 1 permanent signings or 2 loans then he knows actually how much we got to spend. Bayes and Sharpe also said his comments were baffling. Is he asking for more money from the club or owners, was he annoyed that the left back went elsewhere for some reason. 

If you look at the tweet I posted from Jaquob Crooke it is no wonder fans got excited to be honest. 

Manning still be the left back I would want in. Good player, Looks like he won't sign a new contract, so depends how much their want for him? I hoping the club can make the deal happen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Nah, 1 signing needed at an absolute minimum, a LB.

I'm happy to rely on the Academy for squad depth. Keep the door open for the youth players to prove themselves. 

• Like 6