BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I've had dealings across football clubs (and you would be surprised about some of the people I've come across / dealt with), rugby clubs (both codes) and cricket clubs.

I can tell you I've found Executive Directors / Senior Managers (across the four sports) to have a very wide range of competence and nothing surprises me at all.  

So the answer was no then? 

Can you tell us any names of these executive director you found?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think that is a tragedy, with the recruitment of a half decent left back who is able to defend properly and who will balance the team, I honestly believe we can make a challenge.  Sure we will need luck on the injury front but any team promoted does.

This coming year with what has happened and money being scarce for every club, then now is the time to risk a gamble and go for it.  In any walk of life, successful companies have always taken a punt at the correct time, and while others struggle then I believe now is that time.  Have our owners and management got the balls to do it?

• Like 2

Just now, 4000Holes said:

I think that is a tragedy, with the recruitment of a half decent left back who is able to defend properly and who will balance the team, I honestly believe we can make a challenge.  Sure we will need luck on the injury front but any team promoted does.

This coming year with what has happened and money being scarce for every club, then now is the time to risk a gamble and go for it.  In any walk of life, successful companies have always taken a punt at the correct time, and while others struggle then I believe now is that time.  Have our owners and management got the balls to do it?

Get Manning in as left back and we can challenge 

• Like 1

It’s such a shame to see some of the messages on here. We’ve had 3 years of stability and gradual progress. Look at what came before that. After all the nonsense we’ve been through we finally have some calm in the club and a reasonably decent team.

Of course it can be better, but look where we were in early 2017 compared to now. Read the team sheets. Is it REALLY going that badly at the moment? Slamming every decision the club or Mowbray makes just feels unnecessary. There’s a strong chance that we’ll be wishing for times like these in the not too distant future.

For context, Bolton kicked off the new season in League 2. 

• Like 6

Hart was signed for a undisclosed fee and it took the management 3 long years and a few loan returns from clubs not interested in him to figure out he's not up to the standard .....

Its amazing what goes on  these so called recruitment meetings ... still doesn’t beat J Lowe Story ......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Marginal gains, very welcome after relegation but  now is the time to put the foot on the gas a bit more to show significant improvement because as we well know it can go backwards very quickly.

Marginal last season yes, perhaps, but that's in the context of suffering several long term injuries to key players at key moments. That's not the only reason we missed out on the 7/8 points needed for the playoffs granted, but in my mind it was surely the most significant.

1 minute ago, unleaded said:

Hart was signed for a undisclosed fee and it took the management 3 long years and a few loan returns from clubs not interested in him to figure out he's not up to the standard .....

Its amazing what goes on  these so called recruitment meetings ... still doesn’t beat J Lowe Story ......

What's the story ?

Imo not much problem with the Hart thing although giving him another contract to loan him out again when it was clear he wasn't up to it is a bit odd. However i'm presuming he didn't cost much so if they were giving him every chance and it just didn't work out that can't be that unusual in football. 

Anyway what was the Jlowe story /

9 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Taken from that article..

This is why we'll never progress with Mowbray, if you're signing players for any other reason than improving the first 11 then what's the point?

We have enough squad fillers as it is.

Exactly. If we aren't going to sign players who are better than what we have we are just throwing good money after bad. The Hart signing was a classic example, what exactly did he bring to the party ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Marginal last season yes, perhaps, but that's in the context of suffering several long term injuries to key players at key moments. That's not the only reason we missed out on the 7/8 points needed for the playoffs granted, but in my mind it was surely the most significant.

Hmmm but if the big money signings had done what they were signed for and stepped up it should have balanced out. Not sure we could hang our hat on being in the play offs off the back of Dack alone, fit or not.

The main issue for me is when we had chance to just go for it with sod all to lose after lockdown we simply didn't. That's how he works and there is no reason to think this time would be any different so that's why i'd just like to see a fresh approach. We are bustling with youth now and with Dack to come back, a new keeper, possibly the solid centre half we've craved and Brereton another year on there's no reason not to have a go.

It's not shit or bust there isn't that kind of pressure but there should be a little bit applied from above now with the backing he's had.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

£320k pa isnt a ‘big salary’ for the CEO of an organisation turning over £15-20m a year. The expectation of that role and scale more than justifies the number.

Think you are way off the mark.

You would be surprised at relative salary levels (to Waggott's) for CEO's in 'large' companies and Rovers would not fall into that category.

The big bucks come in terms of what is known as 'executive compensation' comprising share options (typically 3 to 5 times salary levels), long term incentive plans (typically shares given to CEO's if their companies perform and meet their KPI's over a number of years - 1 to 2 times salary levels) and annual bonus (again performance related and typically 50% to 100% of base salary).

IMO, based on experience, Waggott's base salary is at least twice as much as it needs to be.  If I was calling the shots, he would be heavily incentivised to deliver on strategic objectives.

For perspective, our PM runs the UK and his salary is about £150k.  Waggott, IMO, is ridiculously overpaid.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So the answer was no then? 

Can you tell us any names of these executive director you found?

The answer is not no - are you unable to read and understand?

I will not reveal any names of people I've dealt with on a professional basis.

17 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

It’s such a shame to see some of the messages on here. We’ve had 3 years of stability and gradual progress. Look at what came before that. After all the nonsense we’ve been through we finally have some calm in the club and a reasonably decent team.

Of course it can be better, but look where we were in early 2017 compared to now. Read the team sheets. Is it REALLY going that badly at the moment? Slamming every decision the club or Mowbray makes just feels unnecessary. There’s a strong chance that we’ll be wishing for times like these in the not too distant future.

For context, Bolton kicked off the new season in League 2. 

Everything is relative. There is plenty of positivity too, some maybe over the top but understandable, but it isnt 100% doom as some portray, but we shouldnt just be content and not harbour expectations and judgements just on the basis that we arent a Bolton or as much of an instable mess as we have been in the past 10 years. If you are grateful for that then surely the results are immaterial as long as everything remains calm. Its good that we are at least desperate to push on.

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

Hmmm but if the big money signings had done what they were signed for and stepped up it should have balanced out. Not sure we could hang our hat on being in the play offs off the back of Dack alone, fit or not.

The main issue for me is when we had chance to just go for it with sod all to lose after lockdown we simply didn't. That's how he works and there is no reason to think this time would be any different so that's why i'd just like to see a fresh approach. We are bustling with youth now and with Dack to come back, a new keeper, possibly the solid centre half we've craved and Brereton another year on there's no reason not to have a go.

It's not shit or bust there isn't that kind of pressure but there should be a little bit applied from above now with the backing he's had.

Agree to a point, but it wasn't just Dack was it? I'd argue that Cunningham was as important a loss, given that in his absence we had Bell and then, when he was injured along with Del, right-footed Bennett or JRC.

Left back is the 1 position we still all crave to be improved on now.

We also lost Evans & Holtby at similar times too remember 

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You would be surprised at relative salary levels (to Waggott's) for CEO's in 'large' companies and Rovers would not fall into that category.

The big bucks come in terms of what is known as 'executive compensation' comprising share options (typically 3 to 5 times salary levels), long term incentive plans (typically shares given to CEO's if their companies perform and meet their KPI's over a number of years - 1 to 2 times salary levels) and annual bonus (again performance related and typically 50% to 100% of base salary).

IMO, based on experience, Waggott's base salary is at least twice as much as it needs to be.  If I was calling the shots, he would be heavily incentivised to deliver on strategic objectives.

For perspective, our PM runs the UK and his salary is about £150k.  Waggott, IMO, is ridiculously overpaid.

Place where I work turns over in excess of 200 million p/a, our CEO is on far less than Waggott.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Comparisons to politicians' pay is ridiculous.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I've had dealings across football clubs (and you would be surprised about some of the people I've come across / dealt with), rugby clubs (both codes) and cricket clubs.

I can tell you I've found Executive Directors / Senior Managers (across the four sports) to have a very wide range of competence and nothing surprises me at all.  

Watching Sunderland Till I Die is enough to confirm this...

22 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Agree to a point, but it wasn't just Dack was it? I'd argue that Cunningham was as important a loss, given that in his absence we had Bell and then, when he was injured along with Del, right-footed Bennett or JRC.

Left back is the 1 position we still all crave to be improved on now.

We also lost Evans & Holtby at similar times too remember 

To me he's the only one who might have made a significant difference.

It's all assumption though and I agree all of them fit and we'd have been a few points better off. Still don't think we'd have made it though because at the end of the day we still had a crap keeper and defence that leaked too easy. Cunningham would have given balance to it but the centre was still flawed. We still lost gam s with all those guys in early on.

Agree the left back could and should be strengthened. If he doesn't it will bite his ass again.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mercer said:

BC0CBE53-3B0F-4CC1-9802-CF0BC0A394F1.jpeg

1 hour ago, unleaded said:

But hardly the end of the world given how much he actually cost us?

11 minutes ago, skous18 said:

12 months ago Mowbray signed Cunningham on loan because Bell was not good enough. I just cant think of a scenario in which he leaves us with only Bell for this season.

The Only question in my head is who is Mowbray going to sign (and when)

Cunningham is absolutely better than Bell, I'm stating that first before anyone jumps onto this one, but genuinely I think Greg Cunningham would be fairly below average in Mowbray's current system. Our attacking full backs need pace to get up and down and Greg is a much more traditional defensive full back. He'd be better than Amari'i, sure, but not a million miles better under the current tactical system

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

But hardly the end of the world given how much he actually cost us?

But if you believe the guilt tripping of supporters from Waggott then the decision to give him an extended contract when he was never going to play could help to play a part in ending the club.

Edited by Ewood Ace

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

£320k pa isnt a ‘big salary’ for the CEO of an organisation turning over £15-20m a year. The expectation of that role and scale more than justifies the number.

This is incorrect.
Rovers really are not a big ‘company’ in terms of turnover (perhaps in terms of the public eye they are) and £320k is a large CEO base salary.

Mercer hit the nail on the head regards dividends, shares, bonuses etc. This is how most CEOs contracts are structured. Some incentive to improving performance  

Lets be frank, he is grossly overpaid and it is not justified at all. 

• Like 5