Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

22 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Anything happening on the transfer front? 🥴

Bugger all it would seem. Other than we're hoping to loan out Magloire, Carter and one or two other youngsters before the deadline.

Clubs losing 150k a week due to playing behind closed doors with no income and poor ST sales, i wouldnt expect to see much more from the club

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I'm amazed you believe this. 

The manager has to wait weeks to get answers on his budget and approval to do business but you think the owners spend their time on our messageboards?

They couldn't give a stuff. 

As for Covid maybe it has caused them difficulties. Maybe it hasn't. We don't actually know. People can put share price graphs up but I thought the club was funded personally by the owners, not by the company.

One thing I do know is that other clubs with bigger crowds and overheads than Rovers will be losing more money and have to find more to keep meeting wages etc.

What are you trying to argue here that the owners don't give a crap about us?I think that obvious to most.

They don't care, we are just one of a number of businesses that they have.

At the same time I can't understand why you expected us to go on a spending spree this summer?The reality is the club has hardly any income so it isn't a case of our incomings being covered by the outgoings.

We have hardly any income coming into the club, other clubs in this division who have done any significant business have sold players to fund it.

You bang on about promotion being the only thing that matters yet you are dead against the loan market? Seemingly wanting us to buy permanent squad fillers to replace Smallwood,Hart, Samuel etc instead of using what little money we have to improve the first 11.

You don't take into account our youth and their development as your posts read like you are nearly crying when it turns out we were never interested in players like Naby Sarr who got relegated last season.

On one hand you moan about Mowbray and the club's terrible recruitment but on the other readily accept Venkys are putting in the minimum and the manager's hands are tied by having to get the deals signed off in India.

They have spent money, we are in debt, have already had a transfer ban for overspending.Just think it's totally unrealistic to expect us to be splashing the cash in the middle of a Global pandemic where a lot of people's jobs are at risk.Id rather the cleaners,Stewards,tea lady etc etc etc kept their jobs rather than us spending a bit of money on journeymen to pad out the squad.

IL add the manager has been backed last 3 years there can be no arguments with that.Even you can't argue with that.One sale for 3 million in 3 years.In that time he has brought a lot of players to the club and a lot of players got new contracts,he has been backed.You can't argue with that the evidence is there for all to see

Edited by islander200

13 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Clubs losing 150k a week due to playing behind closed doors with no income and poor ST sales, i wouldnt expect to see much more from the club

If we can get a left back in and conclude our business then that would be fine, if other clubs are in the same scenario there won’t be many spending much. Forest have signed a few but they definitely seem a team of individuals rather than an actual team. There’s no stand out sides in this league this season, I’m actually feeeling optimistic for some mental reason. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

who says the manager had to wait weeks? You even had Mowbray saying after the Luton game that he hasn't received full clarity on the budget so from that comment he has some sort of clarity on his budget. 

Did I actually say the owners spend time on Rovers messageboards? No I didn't. But it has been said in the past on BRFCS podcasts thats the owners have people who monitor Rovers fan messageboards. 

You don't know JH. You only need to look at Venkys share price over the last 6 months so see they been hit by this Global pandemic. 

Here is an article on Covid-19 cases in Pune from the India today newspaper. As many as 3,291 new coronavirus cases were reported in Pune taking the district's tally to 2,57,797. The death toll reached 5,870 after 96 people succumbed to the infection, an official said on Tuesday. Of the total news cases, 1,364 are in Pune Municipal Corporation limits, which now has 1,34,029 cases. The count in Pimpri Chinchwad increased by 814 to reach 71,641. https://english.jagran.com/india/pune-coronavirus-news-updates-covid-tally-in-district-reaches-breaches-two-and-half-lakh-figure-check-full-list-of-containment-zones-10017123

If true, I have a few suspicions.

My knowledge is from eight years ago but one of the staff in the Pune compound had the job of reading supporters' comments on all the various threads and preparing a daily report that was available if asked for. I think that pre-dated Shebby who among other jobs was expected to get closer to the fans and influence perceptions positively.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

My knowledge is from eight years ago but one of the staff in the Pune compound had the job of reading supporters' comments on all the various threads and preparing a daily report that was available if asked for. I think that pre-dated Shebby who among other jobs was expected to get closer to the fans and influence perceptions positively.

Good approach. They obviously never asked for it, or decided they didn't care.

2 hours ago, philipl said:

MG road?  Or Sergei the meerkat?

9 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

MG road?  Or Sergei the meerkat?

Probably neither. I fully accept both had roles taking them inside the compound but I don't think either were trusted as the eyes and ears of the family.

As for what the Raos did as a result of fans' writings on social media and elsewhere and whether it had any direct influence, I don't know.

But Mrs D in particular was (and probably still is) interested to know.

They did seek (and were obscenely reliant on) advice from others deemed to be expert. However, after the initial three or four years they set great store by their own appraisal of the character and intelligence of the people they were/are interfacing with. In general (not just Rovers) they work with and through people they invest a great deal of trust in. They expect loyalty and don't expect any exposure through loose tongues.

Mrs D is by all accounts a lady of her own opinions. She is also willing to take a long (a really long) term view and I think we are seeing the impact of that at Rovers and, in some ways, it is beginning to really pay off. I am thinking of the Academy in particular.

For big decisions, they seek unanimity between the four of them but they can be quick moving and decisive when they consider it necessary.

How those factors played out are the story of the last ten years of Rovers.

I will repeat my controversial views. Up until the sacking of Coyle they were a catastrophe (being polite) but since then they are the best owners a club like Rovers could realistically possibly have.

3 hours ago, philipl said:

I mean FFS at the time of his appointment at Rovers he was known throughout Asia/SEA as a leading Tool in football punditry. I posted a firm pointer at the time.

If the Vs had done even the minimum of research they would have known what a clown they were paying good money to.

OK he did kid a few at the start but not for long. The man was a legend only in his own Lunchtime.

18 minutes ago, philipl said:

I will repeat my controversial views. Up until the sacking of Coyle they were a catastrophe (being polite) but since then they are the best owners a club like Rovers could realistically possibly have.

And that's thanks to TM, like him or not.

8 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Is that an opinion or are you party to more than we know?

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

People can put share price graphs up but I thought the club was funded personally by the owners, not by the company.

One thing I do know is that other clubs with bigger crowds and overheads than Rovers will be losing more money and have to find more to keep meeting wages etc.

The club is owned through the Venky’s group of companies. Funding is via inter-company loans (usually converted, at least in part, to share capital at some point) rather than directors loans.

48 minutes ago, toogs said:

Is that an opinion or are you party to more than we know?

I know nothing you don't I'm sure but clearly the post-Coyle steadying of the ship has been a direct result of the influence of Mowbray on the entire club, including the owners. That's all fairly self-evident. Whether you think he's now taken us far as he can is up for debate.

Edited by danger19_80

1 hour ago, danger19_80 said:

Along with the several audit firms they employed....

51 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

The club is owned through the Venky’s group of companies. Funding is via inter-company loans (usually converted, at least in part, to share capital at some point) rather than directors loans.

Yep the personal funds bit needs putting to bed it looks clear that VLL sits in a corner of the group portfolio gobbling up other profits.

8 hours ago, unsall said:

You’re not up to speed re Coved in India, if you would care to google it, you would find its one of the worst affected places in the world, Venkys shares took another hit recently, they will know exactly what’s going on in the UK, plus worrying about the other 20 odd businesss  all round the world.

5E70D137-899B-4C54-8000-623E5506F017.png

That’s a very very selective chart.

27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Yeah show me 6 months at the very least.

Edit: Just checked and the share price has actually increased over the last 6 months. 

Edited by Fraserkirky

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Well this thread's died on its arse!

Perhaps the Autumn transfer thread should be opened

2 hours ago, danger19_80 said:

It is certainly true the dramatic improvement in approach by the owners exactly coincides with Mowbray's tenure.

However, I have never previously heard even a hint that Mowbray is the cause.

6 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Well this thread's died on its arse!

The window closes on 12 October I believe.

Don't worry, we will make it to 1,000 pages.

43 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The share price was about 200 when they bought Rovers. Now 1300!

Just now, philipl said:

The share price was about 200 when they bought Rovers. Now 1300!

Puts a good context to the “unsustainable losses about to precipitate a fire sale of players” we hear about each summer.