BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

If Mowbray starts to rely on this lad he will break down.  At the moment its all sunny in the garden but he's never played a full season like this.  He needs to be used sparingly at his age, not relied upon.

Don't disagree with that. He has to be handled carefully, we can rely on Mowbray to do that at least!

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Mate, £300k is the reported average for Championship CEO’s. Ergo Swag is not ‘grossly overpaid’ 

His ability to do the job is a separate matter.

But you also quoted the average for player wages and we don't meet that do we? There's the weakness in your argument.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

you dont need to be really quick

I'm sorry but this take is just plain wrong. I'm not discussing this further if you actually believe wing-backs in Mowbray's system don't need pace.

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

If Mowbray starts to rely on this lad he will break down.  At the moment its all sunny in the garden but he's never played a full season like this.  He needs to be used sparingly at his age, not relied upon.

Come on, this is silly. Good enough you're old enough, some players do need coddling, but Dolan's is a professional already at this young age, his temperament and attitude. The reason English youngsters are succeeding abroad, in Germany and Portugal, like Sancho and Dier, is because they get thrown in and get relied upon. 

49 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I'm sorry but this take is just plain wrong. I'm not discussing this further if you actually believe wing-backs in Mowbray's system don't need pace.

As I said, Rankin Costello isnt very quick but Mowbray plays him at full back.

Cunningham can get up and down and more importantly can defend and attack well for a full back. No matter what the system is, if your full back cannot defend it will cause issues. But he regularly got up and down and with quality. 

You are speaking as if hes a slow centre back playing at left back who simply cannot get forward.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Mate, £300k is the reported average for Championship CEO’s. Ergo Swag is not ‘grossly overpaid’ 

His ability to do the job is a separate matter.

You've completely contradicted yourself in two sentences, congratulations. 

If somebody is paid £300k a year but doesn't have the ability to do the job I think we can all conclude that constitutes being grossly overpaid.

Your original comment was regarding a CEO of a company Rovers' size, nothing to do with The Championship, you've just used another users post to try and justify your original, incorrect statement, when all that has done is confirm that all aspects of Championship football is overpaid.

This is the actual headline of that article..."Crazy wages don't add up in the EFL with clubs on the brink... with the Championship the epicentre of the madness"

Again, if you want to rely on that Mail article for your argument, look at the L1 average for a CEO...£89k a year. The guy had been at Coventry 2011-15 and Gillingham 2015-17 (6 straight years in League 1) before joining us, also in League 1! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 47er said:

But you also quoted the average for player wages and we don't meet that do we? There's the weakness in your argument.

The figure quoted of 1.5 million pa, 29K pw, as an average for Championship players wages was misleading 

That figure is the average wage of the best-paid players at Championship Clubs, many will be on much less.

The best-paid is reputedly on 68K pw so that alone bounces the average.

The lowest-paid top earner at a Championship club is in 8.5K pw - how my heart bleeds for that poor exploited waif :wacko:

Championship Goalkeeping Coaches are on more than 84K pa ..... I can't type anymore after that one 

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The figure quoted of 1.5 million pa, 29K pw, as an average for Championship players wages was misleading 

That figure is the average wage of the best-paid players at Championship Clubs, many will be on much less.

The best-paid is reputedly on 68K pw so that alone bounces the average.

The lowest-paid top earner at a Championship club is in 8.5K pw - how my heart bleeds for that poor exploited waif :wacko:

Championship Goalkeeping Coaches are on more than 84K pw ..... I can't type anymore after that one 

Its not my figure though! It was used by Paul to justify Waggot's wages. It seems we're paying the average for CEO but players are way below it----according to Paul.

The point about Johnson's salary isn't he doesn't pay for anything except his taxes and his Ryanair flights to bunga bunga parties.

Oh and child support for 76 kids.

Anyway, anticipating transfers staying quiet until the PL deadline looms on 5 October when we will be looking at loans as the squads of 25 get firmed up then the week after gets interesting when all the EFL clubs stare their new crowd-less financial reality full in the face.

Edited by philipl

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As I said, Rankin Costello isnt very quick but Mowbray plays him at full back.

Cunningham can get up and down and more importantly can defend and attack well for a full back. No matter what the system is, if your full back cannot defend it will cause issues. But he regularly got up and down and with quality. 

You are speaking as if hes a slow centre back playing at left back who simply cannot get forward.

But Rankin-Costello is more attacking than Nyambe and get in the box more. 

I wouldn't want Cunningham back for a few reasons cos his wages and possible fee being out of our reach, Injury record, Is the full back we really need where someone like Ryan Manning would be ideal type of full back we need. It doesn't look like we will be bring Manning in but anything could happen later in the window with QPR not wanting to lose him for nothing next summer

1 hour ago, Prelude said:

If we choose not to use JRC in a more advanced role he should be playing at Left back. 

This needs to stop. I know you are probably looking at it from a desperation view but we need a left back. Left footed and capable. We need to stop shoehorning players in to positions that is that their actual position. Its a problem area that needs addressing this season.

• Like 5

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't want Cunningham back for a few reasons cos his wages and possible fee being out of our reach, Injury record, Is the full back we really need where someone like Ryan Manning would be ideal type of full back we need. It doesn't look like we will be bring Manning in but anything could happen later in the window with QPR not wanting to lose him for nothing next summer

Not the point that I was making, which was pointing out that pace is not criticial to being a full back in our current team.

If the fee for Cunningham is out of reach then the fee for Manning certainly is hence the manager categorically stating that we cannot afford him.

Manning may be the better investment opportunity but the common consensus is, excellent attacking full back but poor defensively. Cunningham can do both sides.

I would also say that Rankin Costello like Bell last week was very poor with his final ball.

Just now, BigBar said:

This needs to stop. I know you are probably looking at it from a desperation view but we need a left back. Left footed and capable. We need to stop shoehorning players in to positions that is that their actual position. Its a problem area that needs addressing this season.

Yeah deffo from a desperation point of view we need a new left back but in the meantime if Tony chooses not to play JRC in a more advanced role we are stronger with JRC at left back than Bell wouldn't you agree?

JRC shouldn't be on the bench if Bell is playing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree on Cunningham. We've enough players returning from pretty serious injuries without signing another one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not the point that I was making, which was pointing out that pace is not criticial to being a full back in our current team.

If the fee for Cunningham is out of reach then the fee for Manning certainly is hence the manager categorically stating that we cannot afford him.

Manning may be the better investment opportunity but the common consensus is, excellent attacking full back but poor defensively. Cunningham can do both sides.

I would also say that Rankin Costello like Bell last week was very poor with his final ball.

I think Pace is important. 

I disagree on the price point. Manning has 10 months left on his deal and he won't signing a new deal there. So QPR won't want him to leave for nothing so there is a deal to do there for someone. 

I disgrace on Rankin Costello last week performance as he did their attacking full back role that we need in that game. 

The one downside to Cunningham is undoubtedly the injury concern. Otherwise, everything is a tick, good going forward, solid defensively, good experience, a good balanced full back who can do both sides.

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Pace is important. 

I disagree on the price point. Manning has 10 months left on his deal and he won't signing a new deal there. So QPR won't want him to leave for nothing so there is a deal to do there for someone. 

I disgrace on Rankin Costello last week performance as he did their attacking full back role that we need in that game. 

There may be a deal to do for someone but unless something changes massively, that clearly wont be us with our budget.

Rankin Costello like Bell was very high up but ultimately, his crossing was poor and tended to go straight to the keeper.

• Like 1