BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

You haven't a clue about the stress on his body now he's gone from 18s to championship football. He's a small lad too, not built like a rooney.

He will be aching all the time....his legs will be tired every morning he wakes up.

Its not silly at all.

You're right,  sooner or later it'll catch up with him. You can only play on adrenalin for so long.  We need to be resting him before that happens.

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Like I said, pace isnt essential, the ability to get up and down very much is. But when he plays he does get up and down and gave us an extra dimension pushing on. Unless that has changed with the injury.

I don't see why we have to gamble on a player who has had a serious knee injury. Are we seriously saying he's the only half decent left back in Europe ? One thing I will guarantee, he won't be any quicker after the injury.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't see why we have to gamble on a player who has had a serious knee injury. Are we seriously saying he's the only half decent left back in Europe ? One thing I will guarantee, he won't be any quicker after the injury.

The only way Id touch Cunningham is he was available on a free on a maximum of a twelve month contract. Never the quickest and not going to be any faster after such a serious injury

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My comments were about the player on the assumption that he has fully recovered with no lasting effects from the injury, that he would fit into the current way of playing because he is good both defensively and going forward and that you dont need blistering pace, even in the current system, as long as you can get up and down which Cunningham very much did with great effect. The initial comment was that he wouldnt fit into our current way of playing, whicch I disagree with.

In terms of the overall question, of course not. Cunningham is not the only left back out there, and of course there are downsides, notably his injury. If we can find a good left back somewhere in Europe, which should be a reasonable thing to achieve considering the time we have supposedly spent on the scouting network, then great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Injuries? Has suffered with various injuries at Boro, 35 games is the maximum he played in a season, hasnt played since new years day due to ankle issues, and Boro fans have a running joke that he takes January through March off.

Attributes to play Mowbrays system? Of course, his requirements for a centre back will be different to that of his full backs, but Ayala doesnt seem to really fit them. He is certainly not a ball playing centre back, Cunningham was a big upgrade technically, Ayala will be a huge downgrade on the ball compared to Adarabioyo, functional rather than anything else. He is also not the quickest. If we spend all season with both full backs pushed high up, he could well be exposed.

I personally think (goes against me putting a dampener on everything!) that Ayala is a very good signing on the face of it, despite all of this. I consider his age a good thing, he brings experience, he brings know how, leadership, things that wont be measured by data, but he knows how to defend, how to win games, how to keep clean sheets and indeed how to get out of this league. We have lots of young players so experience is what the doctor ordered. 

Someone like Naby Sarr would have ticked all of these boxes. A couple of years younger, technically much better, I dont think he has had injuries. But he is a shit defender.

You are correct that Ayala goes against the passing centre back. But his experience, captaincy and organisation skills outweigh that for me. I still surprise we managed to afford him but pleased we did. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Like I said, pace isnt essential, the ability to get up and down very much is. But when he plays he does get up and down and gave us an extra dimension pushing on. Unless that has changed with the injury.

I do think pace is important for a full back considering how we play. Would Cunningham fit in terms of how we play?

4 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Surely, they can pay a fee to cover a significant portion of his wage?

correct

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You are correct that Ayala goes against the passing centre back. But his experience, captaincy and organisation skills outweigh that for me. I still surprise we managed to afford him but pleased we did. 

I do think pace is important for a full back considering how we play. Would Cunningham fit in terms of how we play?

correct

My point about Ayala was that as I said, I think he is a very good Championship centre back. But if it was based on what Mowbray likes from his centre backs, a good passing range and the mobility to play a high line, Ayala would not have been signed.

Having blistering pace is not critical, having the legs to get up and down is and Cunningham did have that. He was also good once he got forward.

What I am saying is yes, Cunningham fits the bill for me. Defensively good initially. Can get up and down. Good on the ball. Good going forward, far much more than our current full backs. 

Saying that, I have maintained that the most important aspect of defenders is how to defend. 

29 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Surely, they can pay a fee to cover a significant portion of his wage?

They can and I've mentioned that before. But in reference to the original potter's comments about Championship sides being put off by his wage demands, I can't imagine Fleetwood can put out an overall better package than Championship sides. I think he just isn't sufficiently desirable at this level anymore.

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

They can and I've mentioned that before. But in reference to the original potter's comments about Championship sides being put off by his wage demands, I can't imagine Fleetwood can put out an overall better package than Championship sides. I think he just isn't sufficiently desirable at this level anymore.

Agree totally and with the wages he is on at Rovers, it is killing any chance on a Championship team taking a gamble. If the wages were lower and no fee involved then I could see a club taking a punt.

They could / should muster up a commit to your club campaign ... get the sponsors to put up some prizes.. 

1 x Season Ticket renewal gets you in the draw to win a car, box of wine,  2 metres of covid free ewood turf at seasons end (whats left of it)..  entice yours season tickets holders ffs!! Lack

Lack of imagination can't be blamed on the current circumstances.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My point about Ayala was that as I said, I think he is a very good Championship centre back. But if it was based on what Mowbray likes from his centre backs, a good passing range and the mobility to play a high line, Ayala would not have been signed.

That's my point is that Mowbray has adapt his thought process and what he wanted to bring in Ayala for the 3 reasons I said

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Having blistering pace is not critical, having the legs to get up and down is and Cunningham did have that. He was also good once he got forward.

What I am saying is yes, Cunningham fits the bill for me. Defensively good initially. Can get up and down. Good on the ball. Good going forward, far much more than our current full backs. 

Saying that, I have maintained that the most important aspect of defenders is how to defend. 

But we are playing different and not sure Cunningham is the right fit where someone like Ryan Manning would be. I would be someone around 25/26 years old and good injury record where I am very wary of in the current climate

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Total guess work on my part but considering it is talking about him making clubs wait after their initial interest in the summer I would assume we went for Kaminski instead of this guy