BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, JoeH said:

No. There's a promotion clause but absolutely no sell on fee. Asked a few reporters and many have confirmed this. Shocking transfer business from the club.

Brentford are a selling club so they will want to maximise any sell on for themselves. a % from a promotion is income from the premiership gravy train. Sensible business

11 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

If Evans has any residual value at all then we need to recoup and invest that (and his considerable wages) into someone that can play more than 20 games a season.

He’s looked good at times next to Travis, and as an international with good pedigree he’d be easy to move on. 

But we never get five games in a row out of him.

Lad’s got a glass back.

I thought Stoke were interested in him before he got injured in mid season ?

3 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

But if we NEED a keeper and only have enough money for one player then the keeper becomes essential while an additional midfielder becomes a luxury. Same rule if playing FIFA or in real life.

It can be arugued that Smallwood out creates a space in midfield but only if the player is better than the already bulging midfield dept. More need clearing unless this has been budgeted for well before this pandemic.

Ahh that’s different. If they’re spending money allocated for a keeper on a CM I completely get why we’d all be pissed off.

My point was that the order of signings isn’t relevant as to who we NEED most because when they are signed comes down to availability which changes 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mercer said:

So would I!

The point I'm making is that, IMO, it makes little sense to buy Whiteman, given obvious other priorities, unless Mowbray knows Travis has to be sold.  If this is the case, and given we would need to pay a fee for Whiteman (between £1million and £1.5million muted), it would suggest Mowbray would be allowed to utilise part of any transfer fees received.

If Mowbray does have a budget and he doesn't need to sell, I'm buggered if I know why he wants another midfielder!

Maybe he's been told you can spend whatever money you make in transfers and wages saved from the released players ?

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think the second choice Douglas at Leeds may be a better option. May be able to get him on a season loan like Cunningham was this year too. 

Douglas would be a quality option. I fear that there would be others ahead of us if he becomes available though. 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Ahh that’s different. If they’re spending money allocated for a keeper on a CM I completely get why we’d all be pissed off.

My point was that the order of signings isn’t relevant as to who we NEED most because when they are signed comes down to availability which changes 

In this summer, with Corvid 19, budgets are going to be tight to say the least. With what happened last year in the keeper department, fans want to see that the position along with CB and LB are seen by the management as a priority.

Mowbray seems to be following Bowyer in signing midfeilders in volume whilst neglecting other areas. We have vast numbers already in that department resulting in the likes of Bennett and Downing playing in defence so any budget for midfielders shoud come from clearing the deadwood before reinforcing it.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

Yes what a brilliant piece of work that was. Undermines Tony it it happens (fingers crossed).

Yup, I will be fuming if this comes true, so hopefully even the owners would.

You sell a homegrown keeper with huge potential for 3 million one season (to a club renowned for excellent recruitment at buying young potential and polishing them up and selling them on for huge fees) and the next he is sold for 3x that amount to a top PL team. All just to fund the transfer of a non-scoring striker to play on the wing. We didnt even replace him with a keeper anywhere near as good (or permanently). You really couldnt make it up.

And before anyone says Raya wanted to leave, so would you if you were regularly hung out to dry in the press by your manager and had the coach that he did. He had suffered a really nasty injury and that obviously contributed to a loss of confidence. Instead of being reassured and shown some belief, the manager does his usual act of telling the world what Raya should and shouldnt be doing. 

By all accounts, Brentford fans love him and think he is one of their best ever keepers. Read their boards.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Except we added to our debt by getting in a manager and several players who were almost guaranteed to rubber stamp relegation.

Doubt Barnsley would have gone anywhere near Wes Brown let alone given him 10 grand per week.

Rovers signed Duffy for less than £1 miilion and Hanley through the youth system.

They were sold for £9 million plus

Rovers signed Gordon Greer, Derrick William, Charlie Mulgrew and Wes Brown.

And were relegated.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dave S said:

Rovers signed Duffy for less than £1 miilion and Hanley through the youth system.

They were sold for £9 million plus

Rovers signed Gordon Greer, Derrick William, Charlie Mulgrew and Wes Brown.

And were relegated.

Didn't we loan another centre back at that time that looked decent but appeared to be injured most of the time ?

27 minutes ago, JoeH said:

No. There's a promotion clause but absolutely no sell on fee. Asked a few reporters and many have confirmed this. Shocking transfer business from the club.

Rich Sharpe said Rovers would benefit if Raya gets promoted or gets a move which suggests there is a sell on clause?

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Didn't we loan another centre back at that time that looked decent but appeared to be injured most of the time ?

Quite right, Tommie Hoban. His injury record at Rovers followed him elsewhere, released by Watford at the end of last year and currently without a club.

52 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Not really mate. Players are signed as and when they become available not in order of importance. We’re not playing Fifa.

That kind of thinking is probably why we have umpteen CMs and a threadbare defence with no GKs.

I mean what you're saying makes sense, amongst your 2-3 ish main priority positions or if you have an infinite budget. When you just apply it to whatever position you can find a player you like, it becomes a scatter gun approach with no strategy.

It's simple enough Paul. We probably don't have a huge budget. We sorely need a GK, probably two. A CB, probably two. An LB, some would also say two. We just lost two squad strikers. All of these are bigger issues, and if the first thing we do is collect another CM, then at the end of the budget are all 'oh, guess we have no money to buy the best CB or GK we found after all, here's Bournemouth's 3rd choice on loan' it's going to be groundhog day again and people will absolutely have the right to be furious.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Nobody told Rich Sharpe. Who is also a reporter (even if sometimes that definition is stretched).

It would be abysmal business if we sold such a young and promising keeper without a sell on of at least 20%. Assuming we had one at the time was one of my only minor consolations.

50 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

How so? Surely goes like this...Ok guys we are looking for two keepers a cb, a lb and a Cm. The total budget is x and the allocated budget for each position is roughly a, b and c. Here’s a list of players we’ve scouted in each position with choices 1-?.

Then it’s a case of who comes available first with the ultimate goal to cover all the positions. ??‍♂️

Allocating a budget to each position is fine as a vague outline, but if you then go spend what you allotted on the CM, and subsequently find out the CB or GK costs more than you thought (as we seem to find out with players every year but still don't cotton onto how off our valuations are), you end up in trouble buying or loaning dross instead.

A CM shouldn't even be on the list anyway unless we also expect to be able to shift at least one more of our current crop of them. One of the well-paid ones at that. Which I struggle to see unless Evans' old boss has been sniffing around him.

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Allocating a budget to each position is fine as a vague outline, but if you then go spend what you allotted on the CM, and subsequently find out the CB or GK costs more than you thought (as we seem to find out with players every year but still don't cotton onto how off our valuations are), you end up in trouble buying or loaning dross instead.

A CM shouldn't even be on the list anyway unless we also expect to be able to shift at least one more of our current crop of them. One of the well-paid ones at that. Which I struggle to see unless Evans' old boss has been sniffing around him.

Anyone get the feeling that we’re speaking Whiteman in case we sell Travis?

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Personally I am not bothered who we sell as long as we get a good price for them, and sign replacements. All our players are in a squad that could only finish 11th. At one time or another during this season, they have all disappointed. None of them are stars. Some might have a bright future, but at this moment in time The Rovers need to have success now.

• Like 1

Of course we need a centre mid. Outside of Travis our choices are

- an aging has been who plays well one in five and  atrociously the rest, can only last 60 minutes at best, and is comfortably the wrong side of 30. 

- an absolute sick note who can get injured from a nasty stare, who only plays well when a new contract is needed and has often replicated the invisible Man with his performances. 

- an unproven 20 odd year old who has missed much of the last 2 years with injury. Regardless of what that says about him being a sicknote it can't have helped his development at a key age.  

Downing may or may not also sign but again at 35 (36?) is not the long term solution and has to cover a myriad of other positions too. 

So yes we need a midfielder. 

Problem is we need a keeper and defenders more. The midfield options are poor but at least there are people who can play there. Whereas we literally have no keepers (although there were question marks over whether we ever did this season!) and we have very few defensive options. So much as we need a centre mid the needs defensively, especially a keeper, is an even greater priority. 

As an aside it shows what a load of bull this whole slow build is that we need so many players three seasons in. Worryingly an argument can be made for.needing a striker in much the same way as a centre mid. 

What an absolute balls up of the last year or two for us to need so many players! 

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You wouldn't want to sell Travis at all, but think most of us knew we would have to sell one of our 4 best players(Armstrong, Dack, Travis, Lenihan) this summer. 

Wonder if we already have an offer in from PL club for Travis? 

Travis is in Spain on holiday according to his Instagram. 

Is Whiteman a similar type of player to Travis? 

I would be looking at Josh Cullen from West Ham who was on loan at Charlton to replace Travis if he goes. 

Selling Travis would be a travis-ty.

All jokes aside, it actually would. He has been our best player this season and has shown a willingness in midfield we haven't seen in a while. I remember a while ago somebody posted the estimated contracted salaries for each player and Travis was rock bottom, way behind the likes of Evans and Johnson. If the business decision made is to sell him and keep them two then Mowbray needs to have his head checked.

Get rid of Johnson, use the wages saved from the rest to bring in Whiteman, have 3 good central midfielders and then look at bolstering the positions we need (GK, CB, LB).

It makes no financial sense to sell Lewis Travis, when you can no doubt bring a bigger fee for Armstrong or Dack if that is what is required, and we would save more on wages.

• Like 2