BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

He is a right back/wing back, so no use.

Although we are short of cover in that area, it would be odd to loan a bench player. Unless he's going to challenge at left-back

Just now, JoeH said:

Although we are short of cover in that area, it would be odd to loan a bench player. Unless he's going to challenge at left-back

Yeah we should sign a left footer, I think it was in the Lancs Live so very much a suggestion/example rather than a genuine link.

Hopefully the actual player we sign has more experience, not sure either of these first 2 are realistic but more of a Cunningham/Douglas than a Leif Davis/Nkonkou. (kids at Leeds and Everton, random examples)

9 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

It sounds like Dack could be training over the international break, that would be terrific news. I agree, to coin a Mowbray phrase, might not be a bad idea to keep the powder dry till January. Absolutely need a GK and LB by deadline though.

That won't happen.

They say this every transfer window. The money doesn't materialise. Then it will be all about it being a tough time to do business and better waiting until the summer

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Long term!? It's been in place for 2 years that's pretty long term in this day and age.

What gets measured gets done.

Bottom line, IMO, is we have very little, if anything, to show for this operation.

Holtby last season was 'a known' player - you didn't need a scouting set-up for that one as his agent should have done the graft in alerting clubs to his availability.  As some poster pointed out yesterday (may even have been yourself), Gent would have circulated Kaminski's availability following the alleged club / player bust up and I do not think we would have been scouting Kaminski (undisputed first choice goalie with a Belgian 1st Division club competing in Europe) pre the alleged bust up.

'Near misses' don't count!!!

IMO, we haven't found a single European unpolished diamond within our transfer / wages' budget (which will be very competitive relative to most of Europe) and that is the acid test or bottom line.

• Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

Bottom line, IMO, is we have very little, if anything, to show for this operation.

Holtby last season was 'a known' player - you didn't need a scouting set-up for that one as his agent should have done the graft in alerting clubs to his availability.  As some poster pointed out yesterday (may even have been yourself), Gent would have circulated Kaminski's availability following the alleged club / player bust up and I do not think we would have been scouting Kaminski (undisputed first choice goalie with a Belgian 1st Division club competing in Europe) pre the alleged bust up.

IMO, we haven't found a single European unpolished diamond within our transfer / wages' budget (which will be very competitive relative to most of Europe) and that is the acid test or bottom line.

I think you are right to expect more from the scouting network but you cant then put Kaminski down to a bust up as if he was a well known name.

Of course, we dont know how good or otherwise Kaminski will prove, but he is the solitary addition from the scouting network, and he cant be dismissed.

Just now, Mercer said:

It depends as to how you measure the success. Is success going to Portugal as we've done before and bringing a bus load of a dozen players back and hoping one of them sticks when thrown? Or is it different to that. Lewis Holtby is a TOP signing, Thomas Kamniski (if as effective as he has been long-term) is a pretty impressive shrewd signing for the price.

Sure we could sign some Norwegian left-back that we've never heard of, and you could call that European Scouting Success, but for me it's less about quantity and more about quality.

We got Holtby and nobody else seemed to even have an ounce of a sniff, we clearly got that right, had fingers in the right holes in the continent etc... Sure he's a known player, but you didn't hear of any other English based clubs getting close.

Edited by JoeH

Just now, JoeH said:

Sure we could sign some Norwegian left-back that we've never heard of, and you could call that European Scouting Success, but for me it's less about quantity and more about quality.

Here you go : https://www.transfermarkt.com/haitam-aleesami/profil/spieler/230166 Still without a club and plays for our national team.

Edited by Swanson
  • Like 3

Just now, Mercer said:

And whose European scouting network has been better than ours this Summer? Just curious as to what you expected this Summer.

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It depends as to how you measure the success. Is success going to Portugal as we've done before and bringing a bus load of a dozen players back and hoping one of them sticks when thrown? Or is it different to that. Lewis Holtby is a TOP signing, Thomas Kamniski (if as effective as he has been long-term) is a pretty impressive shrewd signing for the price.

We got Holtby and nobody else seemed to even have an ounce of a sniff, we clearly got that right, had fingers in the right holes in the continent etc... Sure he's a known player, but you didn't hear of any other English based clubs getting close.

Wasn’t Holtby on the way to somewhere in Turkey then the deal broke down and we stepped in? (Might have got that wrong though!)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

And whose European scouting network has been better than ours this Summer? Just curious as to what you expected this Summer.

He expects us to make loads of signings on one hand on the other hand we are in deep trouble and need to make 10-20 Million in savings through sales and cutting the wage budget 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Well if you can just discount the players signed from abroad to suit your argument then the scouting network has been a bust

31 minutes ago, JWUpper said:

Wasn’t Holtby on the way to somewhere in Turkey then the deal broke down and we stepped in? (Might have got that wrong though!)

Was mainly referring to other English clubs

17 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

PNE have just signed a striker from Norway if that helps?!

Naaaa his agent offered him around. No such thing as a scouting network.

9 hours ago, islander200 said:

You sound like a broken record.

As has been said the manager has had enough money to sort out centre half ,left back and the goalkeeper situation in the last 3 years but he decided to spend the money he was given on Brereton, Gallagher and a raft of midfield players.

How are we being prepped for only loans?The manager has been open and said he doesn't have enough money left in the budget to cover all the areas we need covering so we will have to use the loan market.

You have a point on how long it takes us to do deals ,it is frustrating and if someone commits to owning a football club then they should be high up in their priorities.I will say though that this summer tho the club have been right in waiting it out and trying to get the best deals they can.

Would you have preferred if the club panicked and brought in say Naby Sarr (a player who got relegated last season and looks like he will be involved in another relegation battle with his new club) instead of waiting it out and bringing in Ayala who is a much better player?

Imo this summer the loan route is the correct way to go with the rest of our signings when we don't have enough money to bring in the standard required at the level we want to be at on permanent deals.

I also disagree with you totally that the fact fans are looking unlikely to be able to return to stadiums this season shouldn't affect our budget.Nearly every other club in the division has funded their transfers this window by selling players but yet here we are the manager in 3 year hasn't had to sell a single player he wanted to keep.

So far this summer you have stated quite confidently that we wouldn't sign a goalkeeper for a fee,we did.We wouldn't bring anyone decent in at centre half and the Kipre bid was an elaborate plan to fool us stupid fans.Only 2 week ago you put down the fact Evans was out stating your belief that he was on the verge of joining Stoke despite the fact absolutely nothing strange with Evans being out he has been out with some sort of fitness issue in the majority of his time here.

The left back situation needs sorting out and we need another couple of signings but it does not matter if these players are loans if they are a higher standard of player that we can afford at this present time in my opinion.Last week you said all you cared about was promotion nothing else so no point signing permanent deals if we know they ain't the standard required.Might as well have kept Smallwood, Samuel etc if we are just going to bring in sub standard players on permanents, the money isn't there no tricks by anyone the manager has said as much.

I'm not sure what the last 3 years and what Mowbray has spent money on has to do with the situation we are in today. The reality of our current situation is that only a matter of weeks ago he said he wanted another 6 players. Since then we've signed 1. We are therefore 5 short of what he wanted. We've dealt with CB by signing Ayala (I've said several times that he is a good addition that I am very pleased with, although 1 good  CB doesn't compensate for not addressing the other positions) and we've brought Williams back into the fold (although I'm concerned about what is going on there with the manager recently making public comments that he didn't think he had a future here and only this week Williams himself throwing doubt on his future).

We still haven't signed the back up GK, LB, CM or RB that were all sought. We've also lost Travis to long term injury which increases the need for a CM.

We are being prepped for only loans. Virtually everything that has come from the Telegraph, Mowbray and Radio Lancashire has been about how it is likely to be the loan market from here. Only last weekend Andy Bayes was saying it was looking like loan additions only from here.

This is in complete contrast to the bullish confident talk after we signed Ayala where he was meant to be the first of several and we had players ready to sign and talked about dominoes falling from then on. Two and a half weeks on and everything has gone quiet.

You talk about loans being the 'correct' way to work this summer. I don't know how you can claim that. To begin with the cost effectiveness of loans depends upon wages involved and loan fees. If rumours are to be believed Tosin last year cost a small fortune to borrow for a season. So a repeat of that, whilst a good player, would not be cost effective for the club. If we cough up a small transfer fee for a hidden gem or diamond and put him on a multi season contract and he performs well then we would have a cash asset on the books, therefore protecting the club medium term and ensuring we get cash in when he leaves.

We've a small squad and half of it is out of contract in the summer. Padding it out with loans from here isn't going to address anything. All it will do is create another issue to resolve next summer when we are replacing players. There simply has to be more to our recruitment than bringing players in for the season because it avoids having to commit to a contract.

Turning to the claim that recent developments will have impacted on our ability to do business I'm afraid that simply doesn't stack up. It is another example of grasping any external excuse available to explain our transfer market failings - file alongside FFP, no European scouts etc.

To begin with I cannot comprehend why the owners would sanction a budget for signings and wages that was contingent upon having some fans in the ground in October. Why? Because October was always the 'best case' scenario. Anyone following case numbers and the news would have put money on a second wave or increase in cases at some point over the winter. Even if fans had been allowed back into grounds the revenue streams from limited capacity attendances with no away fans would have been a drop in the ocean compared to the costs involved in recruiting half a dozen players on average wages of pushing £10,000 per week.

We've also seen with the manager's contract awards to Smallwood etc in the summer - where half a dozen players were given extra time to their contracts because it was the right thing to do - that cash for players and their wages isn't directly linked to fans through the turnstiles. If it was then those deals wouldn't have been done.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Butty said:

Chaddy, he was poor against Bournemouth, poor against Wycombe and played okay at Derby. We can’t keep him at left back for a full season, you know that surely. We need a left back desperately. 

well thats your opinion Butty but plenty of posters have different opinion of his performances to yourself.

14 hours ago, JHRover said:

No surprises to see the shift from some people from a position of we need a LB and are going to sign one (the position of all summer) to now preparing for the inevitable disappointment on that front which will be dressed up with 'Bell had a good game against Derby so we can make do'

We've already been prepped to expect nothing but loans from here and clearly we are relying on things falling into place on that front including a suitable candidate becoming available and the loaning club striking a mutually beneficial deal that we are willing and able to pay, all within a matter of a few days before the window shuts. Unlikely the way our recruitment department operates. We'd be better off preparing for the January window given the time it takes to get deals sorted.

who has said we don't need a left back? I haven't seen anyone on here so can you show me these posts please? 

Posters have commented that Bell has had a few good games this season. Thats it from what I can see. 

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Long term!? It's been in place for 2 years that's pretty long term in this day and age.

But it hasn't tho. to put in place such an operation takes time and money. The operation only just started in the last 12 months and when we appointed Bruno Reis as our Chief European Scout to run the scouting Europe Operation. People like yourself expect instant results instead of understanding that this European Scouting Network is here for the long term future of the club. 

2 hours ago, Swanson said:

Here you go : https://www.transfermarkt.com/haitam-aleesami/profil/spieler/230166 Still without a club and plays for our national team.

was decent enough in the game I seen against Northern Ireland

57 minutes ago, rickard said:

Just another example of how silly it's becoming these days.

imagine what Shearer in his prime would have been worth today... 

Shearer would have been worth 100 mil plus