Jump to content
Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
Just now, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18763464.still-there---rovers-boss-possibility-european-moves/

“I think we need some depth into our group, I don’t think we need to go and sign him or him to improve our starting XI, but create competition."

Mowbray has said again that he doesnt necessarily want players to come in and start. I really hope its just his attempt at man management, theres no point getting a left back not even as good as Bell who cannot be part of a promotion chasing team.

LB definitely has to be an upgrade - and a big one. 

What I don't like how he says this stuff is that it is no wonder we lose out to so many signings at the last minute. new signings are being told they have to fight their way in. It may be true but you don't say that. 

Edited by JacknOry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Raya just almost made a tackle - -  by the corner flag and followed that up with an atrocious goal-kick and almost conceding.

I hope would be suitors are not watching

 

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Ray just almost made a tackle - -  by the corner flag and followed that up with an atrocious goal-kick and almost conceding.

I hope would be suitors are not watching

 

He’s actually the team captain tonight! They are currently winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tonygreenbank said:

He’s actually the team captain tonight! They are currently winning.

Good goal too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tonygreenbank said:

He’s actually the team captain tonight! They are currently winning.

Would be the 3rd prem team they have knocked out if they win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They would probably have made a better go of the Prem then fulham due to the surprise factor. Either way, happy for them to keep messing around in the league cup with all these extra midweek games..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Interesting article in the Times talking about premier League offering  EFL bail outs. 

"It was noted that 11 Championship sides have turned down £10 million bids this window."

Synopsis being if Championship clubs can turn down that money, they don't need bailing out.

 

Wonder if we were one of them?

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BRFC4EVA said:

They would probably have made a better go of the Prem then fulham due to the surprise factor. Either way, happy for them to keep messing around in the league cup with all these extra midweek games..

To be fair, they have rested Toney, Mbuemo, Norgaard, Jansson, Henry and Dalsgaard and also have managed to get some match fitness into Raya and Benrahma, both of whom have been left out following transfer speculation, as well as new signing Ghoddos.

Benrahma has just scored another brilliant goal. "Expert" Merson is not surprised that a Premier League side hasnt taken him, I'd be interested to see how often he has seen him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We dont know the success of the signing of Kaminski yet. Im just surprised that we seem destined to make only one signing from Europe. If he turns out to be a succese lets hope he is the first of many.

This European Scouting Network is for the long term and not just for one signing. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18763464.still-there---rovers-boss-possibility-european-moves/

“I think we need some depth into our group, I don’t think we need to go and sign him or him to improve our starting XI, but create competition."

Mowbray has said again that he doesnt necessarily want players to come in and start. I really hope its just his attempt at man management, theres no point getting a left back not even as good as Bell who cannot be part of a promotion chasing team.

Of course it is about man management skills. Thats what management is about. Why knock Bell's confidence when he is playing so well? maybe that the fact we are after left back is helping his performances? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/09/2020 at 18:08, JHRover said:

Travis being back by January isn't a good thing, it is a problem. By January the season will be half way gone and we will know if we are able to be at the right end or not. That's on a serious injury that still hasn't been operated on yet.

And although Travis won't be available for a couple of months, Mowbray hopes to have Evans back in contention after the international break.

 

Travis has had his operation and he’s now recovering, but the surgeon has said it went very well," the boss added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the lad Forss who scored the first for Brentford as well. Took his goal well, strong  decent pace and good in the air. He'll make a good living in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

This European Scouting Network is for the long term and not just for one signing. 

Of course it is about man management skills. Thats what management is about. Why knock Bell's confidence when he is playing so well? maybe that the fact we are after left back is helping his performances? 

"Playing so well?" He had one decent game. Like I said, lets hope it is empty words and he realises that Bell isnt up to it and we do need a first teamer. Will have to see who he brings in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought you guys would be all over the news that the legendary Marcus Maddison has signed a one-year deal...

 

 

...for Charlton.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Interesting article in the Times talking about premier League offering  EFL bail outs. 

"It was noted that 11 Championship sides have turned down £10 million bids this window."

Synopsis being if Championship clubs can turn down that money, they don't need bailing out.

Wonder if we were one of them?

That's what happens when PL clubs try and take the piss with cheap bids trying to take advantage of the Covid induced situation which messes FFP which needless to say has its origins with the scum above

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

This European Scouting Network is for the long term and not just for one signing. 

Of course it is about man management skills. Thats what management is about. Why knock Bell's confidence when he is playing so well? maybe that the fact we are after left back is helping his performances? 

 Chaddy, he was poor against Bournemouth, poor against Wycombe and played okay at Derby. We can’t keep him at left back for a full season, you know that surely. We need a left back desperately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Butty said:

 Chaddy, he was poor against Bournemouth, poor against Wycombe and played okay at Derby. We can’t keep him at left back for a full season, you know that surely. We need a left back desperately. 

 

No arguments that we need an upgrade at left back, but I don't think he was poor against Wycombe, or that he was terrible against Bournemouth for that matter - although he was partially culpable for one of their goals.

Obviously it's easy to look decent when we're blitzing teams 4 and 5-0, so I'm not under any illusions about his ability, but at least looking at this season, the only game where he was poor was an admittedly abysmal 15 minutes against Doncaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

 

No arguments that we need an upgrade at left back, but I don't think he was poor against Wycombe, or that he was terrible against Bournemouth for that matter - although he was partially culpable for one of their goals.

Obviously it's easy to look decent when we're blitzing teams 4 and 5-0, so I'm not under any illusions about his ability, but at least looking at this season, the only game where he was poor was an admittedly abysmal 15 minutes against Doncaster. 

Bell has played well last two games.

Remember him heading clear against Wycombe when Williams mistimed a header. 

But yes, Williams and Bell are not the long term answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

LB definitely has to be an upgrade - and a big one. 

What I don't like how he says this stuff is that it is no wonder we lose out to so many signings at the last minute. new signings are being told they have to fight their way in. It may be true but you don't say that. 

If you’re a proper LB, are told you will have to earn your name on the team sheet and know that only Bell is between you and match time, that should not be a deterrent from putting pen to paper. If a player doesn’t think they can beat out Bell, and sees his presence as restricting his chances, do we really want them on the side?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you had said on here back in the summer of 2018, 2019 or even the start of summer 2020 that we would be in October 2020 and still relying on Amari Bell as our only senior LB and Derrick Williams as CB you'd have been laughed at.

Yet here we are.

No surprises to see the shift from some people from a position of we need a LB and are going to sign one (the position of all summer) to now preparing for the inevitable disappointment on that front which will be dressed up with 'Bell had a good game against Derby so we can make do'

We've already been prepped to expect nothing but loans from here and clearly we are relying on things falling into place on that front including a suitable candidate becoming available and the loaning club striking a mutually beneficial deal that we are willing and able to pay, all within a matter of a few days before the window shuts. Unlikely the way our recruitment department operates. We'd be better off preparing for the January window given the time it takes to get deals sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Just now, yankfan said:

If you’re a proper LB, are told you will have to earn your name on the team sheet and know that only Bell is between you and match time, that should not be a deterrent from putting pen to paper. If a player doesn’t think they can beat out Bell, and sees his presence as restricting his chances, do we really want them on the side?  

if you're a proper LB and told that, you go to another side that guarantees you will be in the side over an inferior player in the squad. Ala Bauer. 

Edited by JacknOry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

if you're a proper LB and told that, you go to another side that guarantees you will be in the side over an inferior player in the squad. Ala Bauer. 

That player has no ambition or drive and will never amount to anything.  Would said player also like a guarantee that no one will be brought in to challenge their spot? You either believe in your own ability and work ethic or you don’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TruRover said:

Just can’t see him getting much game time this season with lenihan, Williams and Ayala all ahead of him. If selling him frees up some money for a left back then surely that is worth it? 

After the international break we've got two games a week up until the new year.

Lenihan, Williams and Ayala won't hold up under that schedule (injuries and suspensions). You need depth - which is where Wharton comes in.

Conversely it's why we need depth elsewhere - our new style of play won't be as effective when we're asked to back it up 4 days later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be a tragedy if we had a decent go at getting promoted, only for it to wither away because we just  didn't have enough depth in the squad for a whole season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 47er said:

It would be a tragedy if we had a decent go at getting promoted, only for it to wither away because we just  didn't have enough depth in the squad for a whole season.

It sounds like Dack could be training over the international break, that would be terrific news. I agree, to coin a Mowbray phrase, might not be a bad idea to keep the powder dry till January. Absolutely need a GK and LB by deadline though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JHRover said:

If you had said on here back in the summer of 2018, 2019 or even the start of summer 2020 that we would be in October 2020 and still relying on Amari Bell as our only senior LB and Derrick Williams as CB you'd have been laughed at.

Yet here we are.

No surprises to see the shift from some people from a position of we need a LB and are going to sign one (the position of all summer) to now preparing for the inevitable disappointment on that front which will be dressed up with 'Bell had a good game against Derby so we can make do'

We've already been prepped to expect nothing but loans from here and clearly we are relying on things falling into place on that front including a suitable candidate becoming available and the loaning club striking a mutually beneficial deal that we are willing and able to pay, all within a matter of a few days before the window shuts. Unlikely the way our recruitment department operates. We'd be better off preparing for the January window given the time it takes to get deals sorted.

You sound like a broken record.

As has been said the manager has had enough money to sort out centre half ,left back and the goalkeeper situation in the last 3 years but he decided to spend the money he was given on Brereton, Gallagher and a raft of midfield players.

How are we being prepped for only loans?The manager has been open and said he doesn't have enough money left in the budget to cover all the areas we need covering so we will have to use the loan market.

You have a point on how long it takes us to do deals ,it is frustrating and if someone commits to owning a football club then they should be high up in their priorities.I will say though that this summer tho the club have been right in waiting it out and trying to get the best deals they can.

Would you have preferred if the club panicked and brought in say Naby Sarr (a player who got relegated last season and looks like he will be involved in another relegation battle with his new club) instead of waiting it out and bringing in Ayala who is a much better player?

Imo this summer the loan route is the correct way to go with the rest of our signings when we don't have enough money to bring in the standard required at the level we want to be at on permanent deals.

I also disagree with you totally that the fact fans are looking unlikely to be able to return to stadiums this season shouldn't affect our budget.Nearly every other club in the division has funded their transfers this window by selling players but yet here we are the manager in 3 year hasn't had to sell a single player he wanted to keep.

So far this summer you have stated quite confidently that we wouldn't sign a goalkeeper for a fee,we did.We wouldn't bring anyone decent in at centre half and the Kipre bid was an elaborate plan to fool us stupid fans.Only 2 week ago you put down the fact Evans was out stating your belief that he was on the verge of joining Stoke despite the fact absolutely nothing strange with Evans being out he has been out with some sort of fitness issue in the majority of his time here.

The left back situation needs sorting out and we need another couple of signings but it does not matter if these players are loans if they are a higher standard of player that we can afford at this present time in my opinion.Last week you said all you cared about was promotion nothing else so no point signing permanent deals if we know they ain't the standard required.Might as well have kept Smallwood, Samuel etc if we are just going to bring in sub standard players on permanents, the money isn't there no tricks by anyone the manager has said as much.

Edited by islander200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.