BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

From the opinions of our Norway contingent, this really isn't a deal that excites me big time. If he's not much better than Bell, at 29, what's the point? Hopefully he's actually an improvement

If we’re going to sign a Norwegian left back, might as well be the best one in the country on a free...even if he’s not better than Bell, we need cover at left back anyway. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No, if a transfer story breaks he is rarely at the start of it, but unlike Crooke he seems to have a direct line to be able to deny targets that can be dismissed rather than cryptically speculate, and is less cryptic in his answers to queries.

Off on a tangent slightly but I dont get why people set up accounts to put up false rumours. Being a genuine journalist would be a nightmare with all of the people on there harassing for rumours, updates, "announce" requests etc. Must be an ego thing because its chaos.

He does 'seem' to have a direct line, but there have been times (I can't remember examples right now but it has definitely happened) where one of his denials or confirmations have turned out to be bollocks. I think he gets told some things sometimes, but either he gets lied to on occasion or he is aware of the level of trust we have historically put in the LT for denials and confirmations and plays on it a bit to keep the paper relevant.

I have started to appreciate some of his analysis articles in recent months though if I'm honest. Still hate that he is constantly saying TM 'admits' this or that though, when he isn't admitting anything. His actual writing skills are sub-par (and/or his editor is terrible) but I think he understands the game fairly well. Better than Andy Nield was it?

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18769670.mowbray-possible-incomings-no-bids-rovers-assets/

"The Lancashire Telegraph understands that Rovers have looked to central Europe, and Scandinavia, for possible left back options, and having eyed goalkeepers last summer, and this, that route could also be utilised to find a back-up option for Thomas Kaminski which would allow Andrew Fisher to go out on loan.

Norwegian Haitam Aleesami, a free agent since leaving French side Amiens following their relegation from Ligue 1, is reportedly a target, according to reports in Norway, though Rovers haven’t commented on any possible interest.

Norwegian outlet nettavisen.no say Rovers are keen to make a move for the 29-year-old, though neither the player, or his agent, have commented on the reports.

Aleesami, despite being without a club, is in the Norway squad ahead of their Serbia (October 8), Romania (October 11) and Northern Ireland (October 14) as he looks to build on his 30 caps.

Mowbray said players that European targets Rovers had scouted were still available, should the financials be agreed, with the boss hoping deals will drop for the club who have found it difficult to get them over the line this summer. "

Edited by Swanson
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We done well with Norwegian players over the years. Henning Berg, Martin Andersen, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Josh King. 

And Lars Bohinen, Tore Pedersen, Egil Ølstenstad, Stig Inge Bjørnebye.

Rovers have had quite a lot of norwegians on the books.

• Like 5

Two weeks till the next game, so a bit of time to settle and refresh after a very good start to the season. 

If we can get a good left back in that would be just about acceptable. However looking at the team you would have to say that the area we look weakest is finishing. That sounds a daft thing to say considering the ridiculous number of goals we have scored in the first four games - but Bournemouth, Wycombe and Derby all played open which really suited us. But when we got to Cardiff who sat back we really struggled as we have in the last God knows how long.

This season we have now been marked as a very dangerous team, and as a result that most sides will sit deeper against us. Who do we have who can reliably finish in that sort of a game? Just Armstrong and Dack, both of them small lads who will look for a bit of space in the box which is very hard to come by if there are 10 players behind the ball. What you really want is someone to mix it up who can get his head or foot on the crosses that come in and get a shot on target or a knock down for a team mate. For the money we spent Brereton or Gallagher should offer that but sadly they don't. I can see it turning into a major problem as the season wears on.

I suppose something we could look at in the next Cardiff style situation is to flip the 433 into a 4312 in the second half and try and crowd the box with bodies. Need more quality from the full backs in terms of crossing though. 

-------------------Kaminski

JRC-----Lenihan-----Williams-----New LB?

------Holtby-----Johnson-----Rothwell

---------------------Dack

-----------Gallagher----Armstrong

Basically get all of Gallagher, Dack, and Armstrong into the box while JRC and the (hopefully) new left back send decent crosses in as the other team sits. A quality proper centreforward would make a lot of difference though. Instead we are in the position where we are hoping Gallagher can offer a target role against all the evidence, rather than being able to rely on it. 

That said we should stick with our 433 with Dolan to start etc but just have the above in the back pocket if we are struggling. I think Dack could be back after the international break?

Also I note Connor McBride seems to be finishing very well for the under 23s. I don't really see the harm in giving him a chance in the first team soonish. Repeatedly the under 23s players have played very well when promoted to the first team. There's a decent chance he would be much the same. If he can offer some finishing quality that we can bring on in the last 30 mins of games it would be a huge bonus.

Edited by joey_big_nose

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Two weeks till the next game, so a bit of time to settle and refresh after a very good start to the season. 

If we can get a good left back in that would be just about acceptable. However looking at the team you would have to say that the area we look weakest is finishing. That sounds a daft thing to say considering the ridiculous number of goals we have scored in the first four games - but Bournemouth, Wycombe and Derby all played open which really suited us. But when we got to Cardiff who sat back we really struggled as we have in the last God knows how long.

This season we have now been marked as a very dangerous team, and as a result that most sides will sit deeper against us. Who do we have who can reliably finish in that sort of a game? Just Armstrong and Dack, both of them small lads who will look for a bit of space in the box which is very hard to come by if there are 10 players behind the ball. What you really want is someone to mix it up who can get his head or foot on the crosses that come in and get a shot on target or a knock down for a team mate. For the money we spent Brereton or Gallagher should offer that but sadly they don't. I can see it turning into a major problem as the season wears on.

I suppose something we could look at in the next Cardiff style situation is to flip the 433 into a 4312 in the second half and try and crowd the box with bodies. Need more quality from the full backs in terms of crossing though. 

Basically get all of Gallagher, Dack, and Armstrong into the box while JRC and the (hopefully) new left back send decent crosses in as the other team sits. A quality proper centreforward would make a lot of difference though. Instead we are in the position where we are hoping Gallagher can offer a target role against all the evidence, rather than being able to rely on it. 

That said we should stick with our 433 with Dolan normally etc but just have the above in the back pocket if we are struggling. I think Dack could be back after the international break?

I think it will be after the international break in November.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Isuppose something we could look at in the next Cardiff style situation is to flip the 433 into a 4312 in the second half and try and crowd the box with bodies. Need more quality from the full backs in terms of crossing though. 

Don't think we can drop Dolan personally. 

Gallagher hasn't done anything to warrant selection.

Brereton shouldn't be in the first xi either.

• Like 3

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I think it will be after the international break in November.

Ah okay. Well that buggers that idea. Don't really know what we can do then. I guess just plug away with the 433.

On the positive side looking at the fixtures between now and that November break probably only Boro and maybe Coventry will be inclined to park the bus and hit it direct. So maybe it won't be such a big problem.

6 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Don't think we can drop Dolan personally. 

Gallagher hasn't done anything to warrant selection.

Brereton shouldn't be in the first xi either.

As I said it's a second half option if we are struggling to break teams down if they sit deep like Cardiff. Not advocating starting with it. Dolan is one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

No comment on his ability, but if anyone was ever in the right place at the right time, it was Andy Neild!

Did he not end up working for that poisonous shithouse Agnew?

It's often forgotten the part he played in our recent past. Horrible bastard.

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Has Cryer left the BBC?

He was a bit hateful towards Rovers fans after he left the LT. 

I'm not surprised the amount of crap the local journalists get. And then get a "any transfer news mate?" from the same people a day or so later

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I would be very surprised indeed, If Neild had anything to do with a **** like Agnew!

Agnew was in PR originally (I know, amazing isn't it?) and I thought Andy went to work for him before setting up on his own?

Could be miles out though.

Yes, thought so https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2008/news/football-journalist-scores-new-role-in-pr/

Edited by LDRover

2 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Agnew was in PR originally (I know, amazing isn't it?) and I thought Andy went to work for him before setting up on his own?

Could be miles out though.

I don't know for absolute certain, but....I have spoken to Andy a few times and I know he is a decent bloke.

I would be totally flabbergasted to hear that he ever drank from the same jar as Agnew-even with a long spoon!

21 hours ago, Butty said:

There’s not a chance you can remember the performance of a left back from an international game between two shit teams you were probably half watching a few weeks ago. Why do you say these things Chaddy ? If we sign him let’s judge him in a Rovers shirt, he can’t be any worse than Bell who actually played well yesterday for once to be fair.

I thought Bell played OK , but only in comparison to how he has played before. His delivery , apart from one, was awful.

• Like 1