BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

19 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Not if we get £20m.

I would play Dack there. And we have a lot of good youngsters coming through.

Armstrong does have a bad habit of getting caught offside.

But hopefully we keep all our main players. 

Rather have a tilt at promotion than slightly chisel into our debt mountain and replace Arma with the next BB/Gally (or worse, nothing but the existing BB and Gally).

Promotion is the dynamite that could blow nearly that whole mountain up.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Time very much ticking on us getting a couple more in before the deadline.

I do think we will bring in another couple but will most likely be loans and last minute like last week.

Money is clearly tight so we will be waiting till we can get a couple of deals done as cheap as we can.

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I do think we will bring in another couple but will most likely be loans and last minute like last week.

Money is clearly tight so we will be waiting till we can get a couple of deals done as cheap as we can.

Yeah we could do with 2 or 3 ideally, we look a little thin in terms of numbers. A first choice left back is a must.

Even if free agent left backs are under consideration, the aim should be to get one done before Friday. There wont be many (if any) credible free agents at this point and if we aim for a player and it doesnt work out, there is no possibility of an alternative even as a loan once the deadline passes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If we don’t sign a left back, then the window has been close, but no cigar. 
Don’t be fooled by a lack of howlers lately, Amari’i Bell isn’t good enough for us for the whole season.

100%. It’s going to be last chance at the dance again though isn’t it? Not helped by this sh*te international football week either. Sure we’ll have our excuses at the ready if one doesn’t come off.

7 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I don’t think we’ll do much business either, but you talk like that’s a fact, Chaddy?

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Something you heard or your opinion?

Its just my opinion guys. Formed on Mowbray's comments about the money.

I think it will be left back on loan Premier League. 

If I heard owt I would post the info guys

25 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If we don’t sign a left back, then the window has been close, but no cigar. 
Don’t be fooled by a lack of howlers lately, Amari’i Bell isn’t good enough for us for the whole season.

Just hope we don't go back to Downing as a last resort. 

We need a dedicated left back not a 36 winger cum midfielder who can fill in there. I'd rather stick with Bell until January.

Downing had a good spell with us but looked to be on the wane in the second half of last season. He didn't like our original offer and would be coming back with his tail between his legs after failing to secure anything else. Best to leave it at that with decent memories of last season.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Just hope we don't go back to Downing as a last resort. 

We need a dedicated left back not a 36 winger cum midfielder who can fill in there. I'd rather stick with Bell until January.

Downing had a good spell with us but looked to be on the wane in the second half of last season. He didn't like our original offer and would be coming back with his tail between his legs after failing to secure anything else. Best to leave it at that with decent memories of last season.

We need a left back but I’d go for Downing again in a heart beat. He was in our best four players all season imo...Was THE best until Jan and prob behind Trav, Arma and Lenihan for the second half. Be a good older head in a young dressing room.

• Like 1

Our manager should always have  a list of players that he could buy as and when a player is sold.. granted is very late in the window, but lets be honest given our current financial position, I would rather secure the future of the club, sell for £15-20m keep some of our stars and re invest in a £3-5m man or men.. 

As a club we have to cut our cloth accordingly and having been out of the Premier league, a big mark up on a player is not something that can be sniffed.. I would rather invest in youth and see what this recruitment function is made of?! 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Cant really grasp any urgency to sell any prized assets until it is financially necessary or clubs circle and the player or players in question force our hand. There is no suggestion of either.

Agreed until we have to for the future of our club then keep all assets, Armstrong is flying at the minute and if he can gatecrash the 20+ goals this season then his price will certainly go up, I feel playoffs will have to be hit this season or a few may feel they will have to move on to progress, 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

Agreed until we have to for the future of our club then keep all assets, Armstrong is flying at the minute and if he can gatecrash the 20+ goals this season then his price will certainly go up, I feel playoffs will have to be hit this season or a few may feel they will have to move on to progress, 

Definitely, especially with Armstrong, Dack and Lenihan about to go in their final year, this is going to be the last year of a cycle before we need to hit the reset button I suspect in terms of contracts and players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

We need a left back but I’d go for Downing again in a heart beat. He was in our best four players all season imo...Was THE best until Jan and prob behind Trav, Arma and Lenihan for the second half. Be a good older head in a young dressing room.

Not just because you've posted it but I couldn't disagree more. ?

Be a total waste of a wage. He wouldn't or shouldn't get into the current midfield, especially once Travis is fit again and it wouldn't be that far removed from paying Smallwood to do nothing because he's a good old boy about the place.

Albeit Downing would get slightly more game time.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

He'd be here for one reason only a final pay day. Obviously he thought he could do better than us. If he'd wanted to be here then he would already be here as he would have signed the deal he was offered. His fitness levels dropped the second half of last season, so to sign him now at the age of 36 with no pre season under his belt would be nothing more than an act of desperation. 

• Like 8

I wouldnt give Downing a new deal, not least because we are well into the season and especially at his age there will be questions regarding when he will be ready for selection. But the looking down the nose at him as some sort of mercenary is harsh. We dont know whether he wanted 2 years based on his very impressive year last year, whether he was told that his game time would have decreased or even if it was financial and he didnt feel like his performances warranted a pay cut to stay, which I could understand. If he had come back and had a full pre season he would be right about the first team picture again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wouldnt give Downing a new deal, not least because we are well into the season and especially at his age there will be questions regarding when he will be ready for selection. But the looking down the nose at him as some sort of mercenary is harsh. We dont know whether he wanted 2 years based on his very impressive year last year, whether he was told that his game time would have decreased or even if it was financial and he didnt feel like his performances warranted a pay cut to stay, which I could understand. If he had come back and had a full pre season he would be right about the first team picture again.

Hypothetically at his age If he didn't think he warranted  a pay cut or deserved a two year deal  then he would have been being seriously deluded imo.

We offered him a deal, he didn't want to take it thinking he could do better elsewhere, but presumably had a rude awakening in the wake of the Covid Crisis.

That was his prerogative entirely and I dont think anyone is labelling him any more of a mercenary than the next player but equally its time for us to move on imo.

• Like 4