BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

12 hours ago, philipl said:

A lot of muddled thinking going on here.

1) obviously covid makes money tight but not getting a points deduction from FFP is the absolute constraint. Totally deluded thinking if you ignore that.

2) career development of quite a few Rovers youngsters is going to be stymied by Leagues 1 and 2 salary caps unless Rovers turn into Father Christmas but see point 1 above

3) this is the who blinks first week. Covid FFP, there are some very desperate clubs and players out there. Anything or nothing could happen but Rovers people are working their proverbials off to make things happen.

4) October 16 goes by with nothing. Well there are still free agents out there. The issue with Bell is other than JRC at a push or Del totally out of position, Amari'i has no competition or back up. Downing or Aleesami might not be the solution for a complete season at LB but give competition/ back up. 

5) Charlie Mulgrew still needs sorting. There is probably a very expensive (for Rovers) deal to be done there. Quite how he fits into Fleetwood is Joey Barton's problem.

6) Fingers crossed a King deal eases FFP pressure otherwise we really will be in sell to buy territory in January BECAUSE OF FFP

This was the quote that seemingly I misread so my apologies. There is no indication that only a substantial King sell on will prevent us from going over FFP constraints unless we sell, but if that is only to allow further purchases, we never seem to buy in January anyway.

And now he is seemingly back on sky sports, trying to play the charming old man routine and fabricating stories to try and appear insightful.

He was telling a story about Benjani last week, saying that City offered 10m on deadline day after he hadnt scored all season, so Redknapp supposedly had to coax and convince him into reluctantly moving, before he fell asleep at the airport and nearly missed the airport.

Lovely ancedote but Benjani came out in the media a day or two after and said that it wasnt true, he was actually top scorer in the league at that part, he didnt fall asleep at the airport and the fee was less than half what Redknapp claimed!

• Like 1

I don't think that Douglas is the best defender in the world but he is definitely better than Bell and also would give us a new dimension from set pieces where I think we are really lacking.

Also as a temporary signing, I would prefer a more experienced player rather than a kid.

I would have preferred Cunningham who could work both ways but maybe he holds the key to this deal, his presence may mean Cardiff are more willing to allow Joe Bennett to go to Watford which eliminates competition.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would have preferred Cunningham who could work both ways but maybe he holds the key to this deal, his presence may mean Cardiff are more willing to allow Joe Bennett to go to Watford which eliminates competition.

Whilst I agree that GC is a better defender, he simply doesn’t match up in the same league as Douglas in terms of creative output going forward.

Both offer something different but for the responsibilities that our full backs have to fill in TM’s tactics, Douglas suits the role much more

Douglas ticks multiple boxes for me and would be a welcome addition. Experienced at this level, should have at least a couple of years left in the tank, seems to offer threat from set pieces, been successful with Wolves and Leeds in the last couple of years so knows what is needed.

Also I can embrace the loan element of things given he is into the final year of his deal at Leeds which should make a permanent deal in the summer easy to do if we want to.

This of course was rumoured in mid-September around the same time as the Manning link. Seem to remember that Sharpe rubbished that at the time. Now he's running with it in the paper he must have had the nod from upstairs at Rovers like with Kipre.

36 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Whilst I agree that GC is a better defender, he simply doesn’t match up in the same league as Douglas in terms of creative output going forward.

Both offer something different but for the responsibilities that our full backs have to fill in TM’s tactics, Douglas suits the role much more

As said previously, it is a myth that Cunningham is just a good defensive player without being able to attack. He is very good going forward too.

That being said, I would say that Douglas is stand out going forward, with his set pieces a particular highlight. I personally prefer the competence at both ends, but there is no doubt that Douglas would improve us.

27 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Harry Wilson will apparently join a championship club on loan. Far from cheap I’d imagine, and way above our budget, but that’ll be an unreal signing for a competitor.

Swansea looking likely destination.

27 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Harry Wilson will apparently join a championship club on loan. Far from cheap I’d imagine, and way above our budget, but that’ll be an unreal signing for a competitor.

Nixon reckons Swansea favourite to sign him.

Be a good signing for them but speculation that Ayew could be on the move to the premier league he would be a loss

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As said previously, it is a myth that Cunningham is just a good defensive player without being able to attack. He is very good going forward too.

That being said, I would say that Douglas is stand out going forward, with his set pieces a particular highlight. I personally prefer the competence at both ends, but there is no doubt that Douglas would improve us.

I don’t understand, is Douglas not competent at both ends? Seems an interesting take

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I don’t understand, is Douglas not competent at both ends? Seems an interesting take

Hes not the best defender, no. When he was at Wolves he was brilliant as a wing back, he never was as good at Leeds even within Bielsas system which often reverts to a back 3.

Thats not me saying I dont want him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He's not the best defender, no. When he was at Wolves he was brilliant as a wing back, he never was as good at Leeds even within Bielsa's system which often reverts to a back 3.

I think he's definitely a player who's competent both offensively and defensively. He's better going forward than back, but Cunningham was far better going back than forward.

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think he's definitely a player who's competent both offensively and defensively. He's better going forward than back, but Cunningham was far better going back than forward.

I would disagree with the latter, I think Cunningham is equally effective both ways. That being said, Douglas whilst being weaker than Cunningham defensively is as good as youll get going forward at this level.