BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Not to tempt fate but it almost feels a bit underwhelming that we know the identities of players before they sign now. Takes all the surprise/excitement out of deadline day. Having said that, Douglas, Trybull and Pears would make us top 2 contenders never mind top 6. The league is wide open for whoever wants it. With Dack and Travis back just before January, that's like 2 signings right there too. Still hoped/wanted a striker/wide man in, think we're a bit limited there, but that's just being greedy.

Think you are being a tad optimistic. Signs are good - but it is very early days. Covid brings in a huge complication for this season - where key players could be missing - and it will all be a question of timing. We already have a number of players with long term injuries - with Bennett a big one in terms of cover for a number of positions.

3 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Think you are being a tad optimistic. Signs are good - but it is very early days. Covid brings in a huge complication for this season - where key players could be missing - and it will all be a question of timing. We already have a number of players with long term injuries - with Bennett a big one in terms of cover for a number of positions.

I don't think it's optimistic, we're certainly contenders if, like you say, things go well. Other teams will get injuries etc too. One things for certain, no team in the division will recruit two better players than Dack/Travis in the January window. That will be huge for us if we're within touching distance.

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

With respect, the only half decent teams we've played this season we've failed to beat. The players above must be amazing!

True, but you could lose all 10 games against the 'other' teams that finish in the top 6 and still be in there comfortably. Our Achilles heel has always been the lower teams and playing route one to Graham's chest as well as not being able to defend. With no Bennett as an option, our back 5 of Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Douglas is up there with the best in the league, surely you agree? There's not many that beat it. All about if TM sticks to this approach and doesn't start shitting out when the pressure is on.

From a Norwich-supporting acquaintance on Trybull:

Decent defensive midfielder. Very combative, but his passing is simple and tidy. The Premier League was maybe a step too far, and it certainly didn't help not having a settled back line behind him. I'm sad he's been pushed out of the squad, but glad he has found another club.

• Like 3

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I don't think we will be top 2 at the end of the season.   I'd say thats realistic,  but crack on with your optimism?

I don’t think we will either, but our squad makes us contenders. Not sure Mowbray gets us there over a 46 game season.

9 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

With no Bennett as an option, our back 5 of Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Douglas is up there with the best in the league, surely you agree? There's not many that beat it.

No idea, but there are defences out there that cost a lot more. Watford and B'mouth to name two. I think the big difference so far this season is the style of football. I said after the 1st friendly we'd gone to a L/pool style, high pressing and a lot more 'front foot'. I think that will make more of a difference than personnel. I'm positive about our chances for the season based more on our change of style than the players being brought in. 

I'm not sure we're good enough for top 2, and i don't think the squad has the depth of quality some other  teams have. Very open league though so you never know. Here's hoping. ?

We need to be targeting top 2 as a club and squad. Absolutely pointless aiming to challenge for the top 6. Even if successful it guarantees nothing.

If the manager doesn't have his eyes on top 2 and is happy with top half competing with half the division for 4 play off positions then that isnt enough.

IF we get these players in it seems to have been a good window. Mowbray can have no complaints at all and it reiterates to me that he actually has one of or even the best job in the Championship with the freedom and backing he gets here. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We need to be targeting top 2 as a club and squad. Absolutely pointless aiming to challenge for the top 6. Even if successful it guarantees nothing.

If the manager doesn't have his eyes on top 2 and is happy with top half competing with half the division for 4 play off positions then that isnt enough.

IF we get these players in it seems to have been a good window. Mowbray can have no complaints at all and it reiterates to me that he actually has one of or even the best job in the Championship with the freedom and backing he gets here. 

How does that tally with numerous other clubs bringing players in and outspending Rovers?

Edited by O'Malley

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I don't think we will be top 2 at the end of the season.   I'd say thats realistic,  but crack on with your optimism?

I think we have a decent chance having seen the other teams albeit at this very early stage of the season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, O'Malley said:

I'm delighted with this window but talk of 'top 6 of else'  is not realistic. There are numerous clubs that have had productive windows and outspent us. Despite our pre Venkys pedigree we have no devine right to a play off spot.

Outspending means nothing in the championship. Its getting the recruitment right, not the amount spent. There seems to be a statement of intent from the club on recruiting 2 proven promotion challenging/winning defenders and a midfielder. We already had talent but not a promotion winning mentality. This is obviously what people are basing their expectations on. No team has a devine right to a playoff or automatic spot but to be in the mix certainly has to be the expectation. 

• Like 5