Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

8 hours ago, TBTF said:

Agree - nagging doubt whether we have the goal power over 46 games out with Armstrong but highly encouraging squad overall .

Better than we could have dared to hope for .Let’s hope he knows where to fit them all in ...... in their right positions !!! 🙈

Yes.  The worry is he tinkers..but our bench should certainly look stronger. 

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Mowbray has said as much this week on Radio Lancashire.

Really? did not know that.

5 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

I think the revamp of the goalkeeping department is really interesting. It's important to look at the ages of the players. 

Kaminski 27. Pears 22. Stergiakis and Hilton 21. Eastham 19.

Had Pears been brought in before Stergiakis, I'm not sure you'd be questioning either signing, because we'd all have assumed Pears was automatic 2nd choice to Kaminski and the Greek lad was a cheap low risk punt for some time in the future.

Now suddenly there's a clear No1 who is 5 years older than any of the other keepers, but the battle to be No2 is going to be intense. 

Compared to the goalkeeping department last season, it's a revolution. Out go Flappy Walton and an ageing Canadian, and also Fisher who made some dreadful errors in preseason. 

In have come a clear No1, and a couple of potential No2s who will have to scrap like mad to prove themselves better than the other. Which in turn will keep Kaminski on his toes.

Nothing not to like. 

Makes sense.  Shame the 'revamp' didn't include a new goal keeping coach.

On the playing/youth/recruitment side I have absolutely no complaints in recent years (and neither should Mowbray for that matter), my bugbear is the commercial direction of the club, a Chief Exec that talks a good game has completely squandered a chance to re-build up the fanbase by tapping in to the goodwill an improving side brings. 

However, the PL trumps everything and the owners seems to have finally worked that out after a decade of dreadful decision making, mediocrity and merely existing forever marooned in second tier mid table , so let’s enjoy the ride.

Edited by Mattyblue

23 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Just read that...I’m one of those who wanted Downing back. He was our best player until Covid imo - but where on earth does he fit into a 25 man squad with the depth we now possess?

Exactly, before Elliott I could understand it as a utility player, and before Trybull I would have totally agreed with it. Now, however, I just do not see where he fits in. People are already posting first team 11's without players like Rothwell and Johnson getting in - which is harsh considering their performances so far this season and now we might be adding another who is unlikely to get in and be quite a way down the pecking order. 

Never thought I would get to a point where I am hoping TM 'stops' bringing players in! Well, unless its cover at CB.

Edited by JacknOry

Just now, JacknOry said:

Exactly, before Elliott I could understand it as a utility player, and before Trybull I would have totally agreed with it. Now, however, I just do not see where he fits in. People are already posting first team 11's without players like Rothwell and Johnson getting in - which is harsh considering their performances so far this season and now we might be adding another who is unlikely to get in and be quite a way down the pecking order. 

Depending on the cost, it could be more of a dressing room signing now...role model for the younger kids, odd appearance here and there if needed.  Holtby looks a much better midfield option than Downing. 

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Depending on the cost, it could be more of a dressing room signing now...role model for the younger kids, odd appearance here and there if needed.  Holtby looks a much better midfield option than Downing. 

And Buckley seems the more natural replacement for Holtby as he has looked like he is adapting to mens football nicely now. Downing can do that job too but surely it would block the young lad for another season.

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

They must’ve done their numbers!?

Im waiting for Joe or one of our other top guys to run a predicted 25 to see who makes the cut and which players aren’t included in the numbers (u21 / academy etc)....My heads spinning now!

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

There’s certainly a chance of that...maybe even some coaching? I love Downing but i don’t want him playing every week in front of some of these guys.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

As an aside, after all the speculation, Josh King went nowhere!

Yeah, that’s a pisser because if he runs his contract down we’ll get nothing! 🙈

3 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

As an aside, after all the speculation, Josh King went nowhere!

Which is doubly annoying as they still have him in our division and secondly, we didnt get a cut of a fee.

The only two places I can see for Downing are

a.    Is left back cover

b.     Coming off the bench as midfield cover late in games as the old head. Johnson will pick up bookings so in some games it maybe necessary to take him off and we may need a wily old campaigner to help close out a game.

I saw this on twitter last night and laughed...but seriously...Dolan, Dack, Elliott and Arma 🤤 😍

0B470A99-574C-4DBF-9886-2D5A805C2A71.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

They must’ve done their numbers!?

Im waiting for Joe or one of our other top guys to run a predicted 25 to see who makes the cut and which players aren’t included in the numbers (u21 / academy etc)....My heads spinning now!

I think we do probably have one more space in the 25 (not including u21 players) - somebody did it last night (think was Joe). Still, for the positions he will cover, it still makes little sense to me. After the window we have had though, I will trust TM on this one.

1 minute ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

a.    Is left back cover

b.     Coming off the bench as midfield cover late in games as the old head. Johnson will pick up bookings so in some games it maybe necessary to take him off and we may need a wily old campaigner to help close out a game.

For me he doesnt even make the bench though - unless injuries.

I can kind of see why we have gone for numbers though. With so many games in a short space of time its going to be a challenge. Likely to be more knocks and injuries etc. 

a.    Is left back cover

A - Only if he’s ready to banish Bell ala Smallwood, Mulgrew etc - which I don’t think he will.

B - if he’s willing to put him on the bench before Buckley, Trybull, Evans and even Rothwell once Trav is back...

Just now, JacknOry said:

For me he doesnt even make the bench though - unless injuries.

I can kind of see why we have gone for numbers though. With so many games in a short space of time its going to be a challenge. Likely to be more knocks and injuries etc. 

He'll make the bench as we haven't got much cover who could fill in at full back other than Bell or JRC. JRC could gave you cover but little experience

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I think we do probably have one more space in the 25 (not including u21 players) - somebody did it last night (think was Joe). Still, for the positions he will cover, it still makes little sense to me. After the window we have had though, I will trust TM on this one.

Does the u21 / academy rule count to all players from our academy regardless of age (eg Nyambe, Lenihan, Trav etc) or just to those from the academy who are still 21 or under?

He'll make the bench as we haven't got much cover who could fill in at full back other than Bell or JRC. JRC could gave you cover but little experience

JRC would be on the bench ahead of him simply because he can cover more positions. He can cover RB, LB and both flanks - can also play CM too if needs be. 

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Does the u21 / academy rule count to all players from our academy regardless of age (eg Nyambe, Lenihan, Trav etc) or just to those from the academy who are still 21 or under?

All players we own that are u21 do not have to be registered as far as I know. Players under that age on loan (Elliott) do have to be registered.

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

A - Only if he’s ready to banish Bell ala Smallwood, Mulgrew etc - which I don’t think he will.

B - if he’s willing to put him on the bench before Buckley, Trybull, Evans and even Rothwell once Trav is back...

Yes but from the bench he gives you full back cover for left and right where Bell only gives cover at left back. He also can give experience in midfield defensively that Buckley and Rothwell dont.

As a sub he gives options that present squad may take two or three players to cover defensively so allowing more attacking options from the bench. 

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

JRC would be on the bench ahead of him simply because he can cover more positions. He can cover RB, LB and both flanks - can also play CM too if needs be. 

and Downing can't? Also not as injury prone as JRC.

Personally I wouldnt sign Downing but Im looking at reasons why Mowbray wants to

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Yes but from the bench he gives you full back cover for left and right where Bell only gives cover at left back. He also can give experience in midfield defensively that Buckley and Rothwell dont.

As a sub he gives options that present squad may take two or three players to cover defensively so allowing more attacking options from the bench. 

Fair point. Bloody good option to have I guess. Mowbray being backed to the hilt!

Get Rothwell, JRC and Nyambe signed up to long term contracts by Christmas and we’re rocking!!

We could do with the 5 subs rule coming back :)