BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, islander200 said:

He didn't turn down Barnsley, that's not true.

Barnsley didn't agree a fee with Doncaster.

I'm calm, and I'm not saying Whiteman doesn't have what it take to play in the championship either.

I'm responding to posts where it's being said we should have signed Whiteman instead of downing.

The money wasn't there to buy Whiteman, and even if it was I wouldn't blame the club for not paying 2million+ on a player that hasn't played at this level.

Downing is a short term deal, I'd presume on much less wages than last year and has a lot of experience that will aid our young squad.

Rubbish the lot of it 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Yes he did. Irrespective of the offer he wasnt going there...thats turning them down pal.

They didn't agree a fee with Doncaster.

Ok well if Whiteman waiting for a big club in the championship to buy him then he could be in for a long wait.

The only concrete bids in for him that iv seen reported are from Hull and Barnsley.

Have we even ever put in an official bid.

Rubbish the lot of it 

Its not rubbish it's fact.

Doncaster looking for an unrealistic fee.The only concrete bids they have had are from Barnsley and Hull.

The proof is there, he is still at Doncaster.If he was wanted enough he would be in the championship.simple 

I'm not sure Downing will be on a lot less if any to be honest as didn't he turn down the first offer ?

Sounds a bit like he has his price and TM has said we can't go any higher at the min but if there's enough left after the window we'll come back. Other targets fell through and they maybe saved a month or twos wage which made it doable to make him another offer.

Its not rubbish it's fact.

Doncaster looking for an unrealistic fee.The only concrete bids they have had are from Barnsley and Hull.

The proof is there, he is still at Doncaster.If he was wanted enough he would be in the championship.simple 

So, Hull have gone down and Barnsley are not an established championship club I'd say.  Its a move to really think about.  And dont forget he's on for 10% so why not hold on

Yep, he thinks he can play for a club higher up, i expect him to end up here eventually. :brfc:

So, Hull have gone down and Barnsley are not an established championship club I'd say.  Its a move to really think about.  And dont forget he's on for 10% so why not hold on

Yep, he thinks he can play for a club higher up, i expect him to end up here eventually. :brfc:

If we didn't have Buckley, who I suspect we are hoping will turn out to be a very similar player, I would agree with you. He offers something we haven't got at the moment apart from the odd cameo from Buckley.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we didn't have Buckley, who I suspect we are hoping will turn out to be a very similar player, I would agree with you. He offers something we haven't got at the moment apart from the odd cameo from Buckley.

We should send Bucko the other way on loan. See how he fares taking on full responsibilities for the team and club as captain and playmaker.....I suspect Donny wouldn't be up for that....

We should send Bucko the other way on loan. See how he fares taking on full responsibilities for the team and club as captain and playmaker.....I suspect Donny wouldn't be up for that....

Agree.

I think Buckley is so overrated.

Some on here bang on like he's the new Messi.

If he's such a 'special talent' eyed by PL clubs then why the feck has he not battered down our first team door and made himself an indispensable part of our team.  £10million for Buckley - someone aint half havin' a larf!

Contrast with Elliott who is a mere 17  - now that is a lad with REAL talent and potential who COMMANDS a place in our team.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I'm not sure Downing will be on a lot less if any to be honest as didn't he turn down the first offer ?

Sounds a bit like he has his price and TM has said we can't go any higher at the min but if there's enough left after the window we'll come back. Other targets fell through and they maybe saved a month or twos wage which made it doable to make him another offer.

I think signing Downing has closed that door, for this season anyway. That was a pointless signing for me.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I think saying that we even have 3 or 4 Premier League standard players is potentially a bit of a push.

Maybe Travis could one day become one but I dont think he is necessarily a stand out Championship midfielder at this stage. Holtby has failed to impact games consistently for us really at Championship level. Dack and Armstrong maybe are the 2 but looking at other teams, even the least effective attacks at Premier League level have forward players like Callum Wilson and Chris Wood who regulary get double figures. Nyambe no chance at this stage, Kaminski its too early to say.

The team has more promise this season but until it translates how it appears on paper to on the pitch, minus the reasons/excuses/mitigating circumstances, then I dont see how we can go too overboard.

The season doesnt start at Luton, it started at Bournemouth. Using the whole squad is part of the game, you cant write off 11 games.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think signing Downing has closed that door, for this season anyway. That was a pointless signing for me.

Its until the end of the season and sounds like it was a case of Downing or nobody.

We didn't have the money to bring in a Whiteman or similar.

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Agree.

I think Buckley is so overrated.

Some on here bang on like he's the new Messi.

If he's such a 'special talent' eyed by PL clubs then why the feck has he not battered down our first team door and made himself an indispensable part of our team.  £10million for Buckley - someone aint half havin' a larf!

Contrast with Elliott who is a mere 17  - now that is a lad with REAL talent and potential who COMMANDS a place in our team.

Players develop at different rates.

Plenty of players have been average or poor in their late teens early twenties only to develop into extremely good players in their mid twenties.

Elliot looks a once In a generation talent and Buckley doesn't have to be half the player Elliot is to still turn out to be a good player for the club .

Technically Buckley definitely has it one of the best passers of a ball at the club, played two of the best passes in the game last Saturday.Setting Wharton up for his chance and putting the ball on Lenihens head which led to our first goal.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Its until the end of the season and sounds like it was a case of Downing or nobody.

We didn't have the money to bring in a Whiteman or similar.

Players develop at different rates.

Plenty of players have been average or poor in their late teens early twenties only to develop into extremely good players in their mid twenties.

Elliot looks a once In a generation talent and Buckley doesn't have to be half the player Elliot is to still turn out to be a good player for the club .

Technically Buckley definitely has it one of the best passers of a ball at the club, played two of the best passes in the game last Saturday.Setting Wharton up for his chance and putting the ball on Lenihens head which led to our first goal.

Three -  a very similar cross in the first half, straight on to Lenihan's head which needed an excellent save to keep out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Who would cost £30m+ if you wanted to buy him off Liverpool outright. And that's perhaps an underestimation.

33 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Buckley is obviously a class act with the ball at his feet - only a one-eyed Dingle could fail to see that.  The only question is whether he can impose himself on a game physically. 

I think he has a bit about him. What worries me is when he was given a start against Forest and was pressurised by his opposite number he completely disappeared. Talent is nothing without bottle and I feel he bottled it in that game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LDRover said:

I think he has a bit about him. What worries me is when he was given a start against Forest and was pressurised by his opposite number he completely disappeared. Talent is nothing without bottle and I feel he bottled it in that game.

I think its noticeable that he's never been out on loan.  My view is that nobody in league 1 or 2 would find a place for him in a rigid 442.  I'm not sure what his position is and that wouldn't attract lower league managers.  He should follow Mols to spain for some experience. 

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think its noticeable that he's never been out on loan.  My view is that nobody in league 1 or 2 would find a place for him in a rigid 442.  I'm not sure what his position is and that wouldn't attract lower league managers.  He should follow Mols to spain for some experience. 

It has been reported more than once that League One teams have enquired about him on loan.

I'm not sold on Buckley yet either though. Has talent, but I feel it's being way overstated. He has a lot to learn yet to be able to consistently affect games at this level. Hopefully he learns most of it soon.

11 hours ago, islander200 said:

Dack cost 750k , Doncaster value Whiteman much higher than that.

Like I said if he is as good as people are saying why has no other championship club paid the fee to sign him?

Whiteman may have what it takes and maybe should be playing at a higher level but a decent game against FC United is enough evidence he would be a good signing?

Downing has a short term deal, it is for this season and this season alone where he will play a bit part, it didn't cost us a fortune and his experience could prove invaluable.

Signing Whiteman would have cost a couple of million at least in transfer fees and the player would expect a 2 or 3 year deal on top of that, money was clearly tight and whatever anyone says Whiteman would be a gamble as he has not played at this level and we aren't the only championship club to look at him but decide against paying Doncaster's valuation there has to be a reason for that 

Once again, 750k now is not the same as 750k when Dack was signed. Transfer fees have risen exponentially since then

It doesn't help the discussion when posters don't compare apple with apples.

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

Once again, 750k now is not the same as 750k when Dack was signed. Transfer fees have risen exponentially since then

It doesn't help the discussion when posters don't compare apple with apples.

Have you seen many more players move from league one to a championship club for equal or higher fees than what we paid for Dack?There have been a few but not very many We bought Dack whilst in league one.

Im not saying Whiteman wouldn't be a success but just find it strange No club from the championship has agreed to pay the fee for him if he is as good as being reported.The only official bids IV seen reported are from Hull and Barnsley.

For every Dack success there are plenty more who don't make the step up.

I'm not saying Whiteman wouldn't be a success but just find it strange No club from the championship has agreed to pay the fee for him if he is as good as being reported.

This is a season where the average spend is 2m so far per club, so with the pandemic I think tbis is skewed a bit.  2m won't get him so whats the rush for club or player.?

I have no doubt that the player will play in this league or higher in the next season or two, I personally hope we do a deal with Donny and he sits while Trav and Joe go do the damage with the front lads.

6 hours ago, islander200 said:

Have you seen many more players move from league one to a championship club for equal or higher fees than what we paid for Dack?There have been a few but not very many We bought Dack whilst in league one.

Im not saying Whiteman wouldn't be a success but just find it strange No club from the championship has agreed to pay the fee for him if he is as good as being reported.The only official bids IV seen reported are from Hull and Barnsley.

For every Dack success there are plenty more who don't make the step up.

I'm not arguing any of that. You're missing my point which is that transfer fees from the lower divisions have risen considerably since we signed Dack. At his age, and if Whiteman's as good as Sparks says he is the £2M doesn't seem excessive. You can't pay £750000 anymore.

And £2M is better than £7M if we're gambling.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 47er said:

I'm not arguing any of that. You're missing my point which is that transfer fees from the lower divisions have risen considerably since we signed Dack. At his age, and if Whiteman's as good as Sparks says he is the £2M doesn't seem excessive. You can't pay £750000 anymore.

And £2M is better than £7M if we're gambling.

I wasn't missing your point, transfer fees from league 1 have not risen that much.

Not many players have left league one to join a higher club for fees in excess of the 750k we paid for Dack.We wouldn't have been paying that much more than 750k for Dack if we were buying him this year in similar circumstances to when we bought him.He had had a poor season prior to us buying him

And on Whiteman and a 2 million gamble being better than 7 Million, that's true but isn't it funny how not one championship club has deemed Whiteman good enough to pay his fee?so I would rather take their view than Sparks.No offence to him but he claimed Bradley Dack was a rubbish signing.

Edited by islander200

15 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I wasn't missing your point, transfer fees from league 1 have not risen that much.

Not many players have left league one to join a higher club for fees in excess of the 750k we paid for Dack.We wouldn't have been paying that much more than 750k for Dack if we were buying him this year in similar circumstances to when we bought him.He had had a poor season prior to us buying him

And on Whiteman and a 2 million gamble being better than 7 Million, that's true but isn't it funny how not one championship club has deemed Whiteman good enough to pay his fee?so I would rather take their view than Sparks.No offence to him but he claimed Bradley Dack was a rubbish signing.

Its several years since we signed Dack now. Similar with Rothwell. I'd be amazed if we could get players of that quality for £750000.

I also said IF he was as good as Sparks says he is. That's it from me on this.

• Like 1