Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Odd that Venkys would be asking his opinion then.

Well, if it weren't Venkys, from whom oddness is to be expected.

Did you listen to the podcast?- it was all explained.

11 hours ago, philipl said:

Did you listen to the podcast?- it was all explained.

I did not, hence why I'm asking. As I may or may not get around to it.

This is just groundhog day. Mowbray said exactly the same thing back in the summer and again in September.

If these contracts aren't sorted by January I think we can kiss goodbye to most of those out of contract. These things rarely get sorted beyond that point and other clubs will be speaking to them.

I think they are having us on. Are discussions and offers being made? Because from what Mowbray is saying it sounds like we are still at first base of getting the owners to agree to issuing new deals and not close to sealing the contracts.

And before they come with the pandemic excuse I'll remind everyone of a few things.

1) Mowbray said during the transfer window that he would adjust his transfer kitty to keep room in the budget for new contracts, so presumably we have budgeted for it.

2) many other Championship clubs have been completing new deals - Middlesbrough done a couple this week

3) The costs of losing these players for nothing will far exceed the costs of adding to the wage bill now.

Yep groundhog day is certainly an apt phrase. Indeed it has a "Hoilett will sign in 24 hours" vibe and the fact that deep into November that he is still pleading with the owners to do the contracts shows how disorganised they are.

I have never seen from Armstrong or Dacks persespective as to why it is in their best interests to commit at this time rather than hold off, and Nyambe at particular we should be at a stage where we are very close or have already signed or even been rejected. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Yep groundhog day is certainly an apt phrase. Indeed it has a "Hoilett will sign in 24 hours" vibe and the fact that deep into November that he is still pleading with the owners to do the contracts shows how disorganised they are.

I have never seen from Armstrong or Dacks persespective as to why it is in their best interests to commit at this time rather than hold off, and Nyambe at particular we should be at a stage where we are very close or have already signed or even been rejected. 

I don't understand why Mowbray has to speak to the owners about new contract extensions for current players who are real assets. Surely he and Waggott control the budget for the playing side and they should be able to sit down with the players representatives and start negotiations. I wonder if he spoke to them about the extensions that some of the dead wood were given over the summer?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

In the case of Armstrong a new bumper deal should have been in the offing early this year when he started with his goalscoring run and became the main man for us. At that point we held the cards and I'm sure he would have grasped a good pay rise and a contract extension. Realistically for him a move to the Prem was at that stage at least a year away and required a lot of hard work and progress before then.

Since then his form has continued, and we've made a very mediocre start to the new season. This means two things. Firstly it is already unlikely on the evidence to date that we are going to reach the Premier League next season, with all the same old issues appearing again - and secondly he has continued scoring at a very impressive rate. So by now he will be attracting interest from elsewhere and we are looking like going nowhere. He will be asking himself why to bother sticking around.

Dack is slightly different given his long term injury situation but personally i'd have expected his contract to have been extended prior to him sustaining that injury in December 2019. Even at that stage he only had 18 months remaining which for a player of his value and abilities isn't long.

The owners and their reps might think they are being clever saving a few bob and avoiding long term contracts and falling into the trap of yesteryear where we were saddled with big earners for years and had to pay them off. But this is going to end badly for us unless something changes quickly.

Under a 4 year deal Armstrong could be worth £20 million+ if he carries on. As I said yesterday - 23, English, full of pace, good fitness record and scoring every week - like gold dust and carries a massive premium. Mowbray talks about Brentford and emulating them - they make sure their assets are tied down long term then rake in the cash when they move up a level.

This is the point where I question how many lessons have really been learned here. Have the owners really worked out how transfers and players work because to me they don't seem to be taking this situation very seriously. Having supposedly embarked on a 'buy young and invest in growth' policy which supposedly Mowbray sold to them and they like the sound of we seem to be gambling somewhat.

Armstrong and Dack long term contracts mean potentially £30 million in transfer fees down the line whilst potentially £0 or very little if they don't get new deals.

I also note from Mowbray's comments that he's already preparing the owners and fans for another year of the slow build. He mentions in his interview that he's told them that we should be a force to be reckoned with next season. Ambitious. Talk about him being on easy street. By the start of next season he'll have had over 4 years in the job, be our longest serving manager since the 80s and have had 9 transfer windows at it.

I'd rather get shut of him and bring in a manager who will be able to put Armstrong's goals to better use than mid table.

He’s playing them and buying time ..  he’s ways are different from the previous and just fooling the owners ... 

This will never change until the Venkys leave or they put a independent system to overlook the Directors as well as the coaching side  .. They all interlinked and milking dry until the sun goes down .... Same old story different path.... 

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I don't understand why Mowbray has to speak to the owners about new contract extensions for current players who are real assets. Surely he and Waggott control the budget for the playing side and they should be able to sit down with the players representatives and start negotiations. I wonder if he spoke to them about the extensions that some of the dead wood were given over the summer?

Code for "I've passed it on...out of my hands...don't blame me if they all go for free..?"

Is it correct Henley and Tomlinson have now signed for Chorley ?

Just now, tomphil said:

Is it correct Henley and Tomlinson have now signed for Chorley ?

Yeah saw that earlier. I wondered if it was just a short term arrangement to keep them playing if out of contract. Suppose the Cup run might have given Chorley some  extra cash.

Just now, JHRover said:

Yeah saw that earlier. I wondered if it was just a short term arrangement to keep them playing if out of contract. Suppose the Cup run might have given Chorley some  extra cash.

Good signings for them but shows how they were nowhere near up to scratch here especially Henley.  Shame he got the niggling injuries but in truth he was never up to it a bit like Bell.  Hope he invested the wages he used to boast about wisely.

I'm amazed that Henley is still only 26. Feels like he has been around a lot longer than that.

Quite a downturn for what was such a highly rated prospect. Premier League with Rovers to 26 and at Conference North Chorley is quite a comedown.

Likewise Tomlinson - doesn't feel so long since there was a clamour here for him to get games in our first team and Coyle/Mowbray (can't remember which) actually threw him on in a game I recall.

I always wonder how these lads cope with reality hitting home - having lived the academy lifestyle of being nurtured and looked after from a young age through the academy system at a Category A club - great facilities, playing other Premier League clubs, aspirations of breaking into the first team, they must have had big hopes and expectations for their careers. To then end up in non league in their early to mid 20s must be tough for them to take.

In the end though this happens to the majority of the promising lads. Not many make it through.

Tomlinson's first game was the FA Cup 5th round tie against Man Utd in Feb 2017, three days before Mowbray took over. He played in Mowbray's first game against Derby but not again that season. He had 7 appearances in the League 1 season, 4 in the League 2 in the FA Cup and 1 in the EFL Trophy.

2 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Tomlinson's first game was the FA Cup 5th round tie against Man Utd in Feb 2017, three days before Mowbray took over. He played in Mowbray's first game against Derby but not again that season. He had 7 appearances in the League 1 season, 4 in the League 2 in the FA Cup and 1 in the EFL Trophy.

There have been suggestions of disciplinary issues off the field.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'm amazed that Henley is still only 26. Feels like he has been around a lot longer than that.

Quite a downturn for what was such a highly rated prospect. Premier League with Rovers to 26 and at Conference North Chorley is quite a comedown.

Two Welsh caps as well, with the most recent being in 2016. He obviously had the talent, but repeated injuries seem to have massively eroded his confidence and/or ability. 

11 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

There have been suggestions of disciplinary issues off the field.

Scrapping in Mansfield town centre by all accounts... now if that sentence isn’t the lad at ‘rock bottom’, I’m not sure what is!

Well he's in Chorley now so if he's looking for a scrap he's in the right place 😮

Bit of a rep will have him a target for the lower league henchmen as well so you reap what you sow. 

On 02/10/2020 at 19:54, Ewood Ace said:

He's hasn't looked it yet, so far in the Premiership he's let in 13 goals in 3 games. I wasn't a Raya fan and was pleased with £3 Million for him but equally I do not think that Johnstone is all that great either.

Johnstone had a blinder today. Definitely looks the part and he will stay in the premier league whatever happens.  Good keeper.