Jump to content
Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Why wait till the end of the season, surely we know all we need to know, now?

do we? anything can happen in this league, Very unpredictable league 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Is that really his name or is it a spelling mistake ? My Rugby League team once had an Australian player whose first name was Radney. The story was that was a spelling mistake on his birth certificate, being an Aussie who knows ?

Yes that is his name

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think he knows anything Chaddy. Think hes just a new journalist sort of re hashing what he can piece together. Either way we all know how farcical the situation is.

Its really annoying that both Williams and now Bell are contracted into next season. Neither good enough and now both seemingly injury prone. Had the chance to free up some vital resources but sadly we hand out new contracts to players we shouldnt like confetti. Has to stop.

He has interviews pre and post match with Mowbray every time. He has asked questions I have asked him to ask. 

 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Curtis would be much more favourable considering he would be a permanent signing but I doubt we can afford to pay for players this summer.

They wanted 2.5 million for him with 6 months left on contract and then he signed a new contract so we wont be signing for us. Murphy would be good loan signing, knows the league and what we need in terms pace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:


They wanted 2.5mil when he had 6 months left on his deal. He’s now signed a new deal so absolutely no chance.

I feel they may have inflated the price because of their promotion push. Honestly though who knows what the market will be like this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

do we? anything can happen in this league, Very unpredictable league 

Yes that is his name

He has interviews pre and post match with Mowbray every time. He has asked questions I have asked him to ask. 

 

They wanted 2.5 million for him with 6 months left on contract and then he signed a new contract so we wont be signing for us. Murphy would be good loan signing, knows the league and what we need in terms pace. 

Do you think out of interest that Venkys are genuinely waiting to give Mowbray his budget until "they know what league we are in" baring in mind Mowbray is totally in the dark regarding even when he will find out what budget based on his interviews? 

Or do you think its more a case that we are well down Venkys list of priorities and due to their inefficient and illogical ways of working that they have not given us a second thought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you think out of interest that Venkys are genuinely waiting to give Mowbray his budget until "they know what league we are in" baring in mind Mowbray is totally in the dark regarding even when he will find out what budget based on his interviews? 

Or do you think its more a case that we are well down Venkys list of priorities and due to their inefficient and illogical ways of working that they have not given us a second thought?

We don't know if Mowbray or Waggott have spoken to the owners this week and they have said we discuss the budget after the season. Who knows. 

You keep going on and on. I don't see most if any Championship clubs buying players currently, do you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a logical way of looking at it

Mowbray likes the system 4231/433 we currently do not have the players to suit that system in reality, the wingers are actually strikers, Armstrong the only one capable of being a winger, I've said all along 532 or 5212 would suit us, nyambe a tank going forward would be a wing back meaning has more freedom to relax and Express himself going forward and bel who is actually a LWB anyway by trade, mowbray and some rovers fans first noticed bell against Fleetwood in 2017 when rosler the cod boss at the time played a 532 system that suited bell and he ripped us apart and was the difference between them getting a point, if mowbray wants the 4231 formation to work he needs to bring in 2 or 3 actual wingers who can cross a ball to start with, until then the 532 suits us best and I firmly believe that, going off what's available right now this would be an ideal team to fit it 

Walton 

Lenihan 

Tosin 

Carter

 

Nyambe 

Costello 

 

Travis 

Johnson 

Holtby 

 

Armstrong 

Graham 

 

Either way mowbray needs to find the best system and stick too it, players in correct positions,no 6 foot 3 strikers on the wings who cant cross let alone anything else, I said at the start graham shouldn't get a new deal but i have mow changed my thinking, he should get another year to keep that calm experienced head with a view to a coaching job. 

What's needed in the transfer window 

 Bell given a new short deal maybe 

Samuel proving he's worth another punt

Wharton deserves a chance, he's gained experience at Northampton and looks to have improved in his ability and physicality and could be our next lenihan 

We need a keeper or two if mowbray doesn't see Fisher as a number 2 

A decent left back to become first choice or compete with bell shoukd he be here still 

Right back to compete with nyambe 

Two wingers 

If samuel and graham get new deals then we have them two brereton and Gallagher as striking options, brereton needs to go on loan Gallagher given a fair run as a striker not played on the wing, I would preferably like to see Armstrong as a striker but cant see it under mowbray  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

do we? anything can happen in this league, Very unpredictable league 

Come on, we know we are staying in the Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TheRovers1994 said:

This is a logical way of looking at it

Mowbray likes the system 4231/433 we currently do not have the players to suit that system in reality, the wingers are actually strikers, Armstrong the only one capable of being a winger, I've said all along 532 or 5212 would suit us, nyambe a tank going forward would be a wing back meaning has more freedom to relax and Express himself going forward and bel who is actually a LWB anyway by trade, mowbray and some rovers fans first noticed bell against Fleetwood in 2017 when rosler the cod boss at the time played a 532 system that suited bell and he ripped us apart and was the difference between them getting a point, if mowbray wants the 4231 formation to work he needs to bring in 2 or 3 actual wingers who can cross a ball to start with, until then the 532 suits us best and I firmly believe that, going off what's available right now this would be an ideal team to fit it 

Walton 

Lenihan 

Tosin 

Carter

 

Nyambe 

Costello 

 

Travis 

Johnson 

Holtby 

 

Armstrong 

Graham 

 

Either way mowbray needs to find the best system and stick too it, players in correct positions,no 6 foot 3 strikers on the wings who cant cross let alone anything else, I said at the start graham shouldn't get a new deal but i have mow changed my thinking, he should get another year to keep that calm experienced head with a view to a coaching job. 

What's needed in the transfer window 

 Bell given a new short deal maybe 

Samuel proving he's worth another punt

Wharton deserves a chance, he's gained experience at Northampton and looks to have improved in his ability and physicality and could be our next lenihan 

We need a keeper or two if mowbray doesn't see Fisher as a number 2 

A decent left back to become first choice or compete with bell shoukd he be here still 

Right back to compete with nyambe 

Two wingers 

If samuel and graham get new deals then we have them two brereton and Gallagher as striking options, brereton needs to go on loan Gallagher given a fair run as a striker not played on the wing, I would preferably like to see Armstrong as a striker but cant see it under mowbray  

Once we get into a habit of giving below par players like Bell and Samuel a new deal then it starts to increase expenditure on below par players.

Sadly weve already extended Bell's deal. Even as a wing back he isnt up to it as hes never been effective going forward. He dithers and turns back basically every time.

Samuel was not very good even in League 1. Cant be giving him a new deal on the back of a solitary decent performance and goal. Not up to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you have chance to move consistent under achievers on you move them on.

Desperately clinging on just hoping something clicks isn't trying to move the club forwards. It's weak management just trying to maintain the status quo for the sake of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Once we get into a habit of giving below par players like Bell and Samuel a new deal then it starts to increase expenditure on below par players.

Sadly weve already extended Bell's deal. Even as a wing back he isnt up to it as hes never been effective going forward. He dithers and turns back basically every time.

Samuel was not very good even in League 1. Cant be giving him a new deal on the back of a solitary decent performance and goal. Not up to it.

Suppose you have a point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Suppose you have a point 

Your formation is bang on though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've given Bell another year, he's Mowbray project and he always has been, a bit like Gallagher. Anyone kidding themselves into thinking Mowbray won't play him every week for another season is probably living in hope more than expectation.

There's arguments for a Cunningham return, or an out of favour Barry Douglas at Leeds following their promotion, but Rovers and Tony don't invest in defenders, and we should all know that by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JoeH said:

They've given Bell another year, he's Mowbray project and he always has been, a bit like Gallagher. Anyone kidding themselves into thinking Mowbray won't play him every week for another season is probably living in hope more than expectation.

There's arguments for a Cunningham return, or an out of favour Barry Douglas at Leeds following their promotion, but Rovers and Tony don't invest in defenders, and we should all know that by now.

Pathetic to give Bell another year. 
He’s shown time and again, he isn’t good enough. Must be a nice human....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K-Hod said:

Pathetic to give Bell another year. 
He’s shown time and again, he isn’t good enough. Must be a nice human....

He's a lovely lad, I don't understand why that seems to count for so much in a Tony Mowbray squad, but I think past evidence shows it does. Baffling really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JoeH said:

They've given Bell another year, he's Mowbray project and he always has been, a bit like Gallagher. Anyone kidding themselves into thinking Mowbray won't play him every week for another season is probably living in hope more than expectation.

There's arguments for a Cunningham return, or an out of favour Barry Douglas at Leeds following their promotion, but Rovers and Tony don't invest in defenders, and we should all know that by now.

Must have missed that. When?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/07/2020 at 09:56, TheWeasel said:

Would like to see us go in for Ronan Curtis again now Pompey are definitely not getting promoted.

I live in Pompey. I think a lot of people would be disappointed quite quickly with Curtis. Not a lot of pace, dribbling technique, nor is he particularly direct. Yes he has chipped in with a few goals at league one level but he would do a lot of passing it sideways and turning back against better opposition. 

Also he is very, very mouthy. Not saying it's a bad thing. But it's not a Mowbray thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I live in Pompey. I think a lot of people would be disappointed quite quickly with Curtis. Not a lot of pace, dribbling technique, nor is he particularly direct. Yes he has chipped in with a few goals at league one level but he would do a lot of passing it sideways and turning back against better opposition. 

Also he is very, very mouthy. Not saying it's a bad thing. But it's not a Mowbray thing

Interesting. Out of curiosity what do you think he is good at? I've never seen him play beyond the odd highlights package. At a higher level you could easily describe MGP (or even David Beckham) in a similar sort of way, but they managed to make up for it in other ways. Something similar here or is it just a knack of getting into the box and scoring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Interesting. Out of curiosity what do you think he is good at? I've never seen him play beyond the odd highlights package. At a higher level you could easily describe MGP (or even David Beckham) in a similar sort of way, but they managed to make up for it in other ways. Something similar here or is it just a knack of getting into the box and scoring?

I'd say he's exactly that. A league 1 MGP. His technique looks ok. Not the worst crosser, or long shots. I just think he's too one dimensional to make the step up. Jamal Lowe was the better of the two Pompey wingers. And this season he has 4 goals and 2 assists to his name at Wigan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I live in Pompey. I think a lot of people would be disappointed quite quickly with Curtis. Not a lot of pace, dribbling technique, nor is he particularly direct. Yes he has chipped in with a few goals at league one level but he would do a lot of passing it sideways and turning back against better opposition. 

Also he is very, very mouthy. Not saying it's a bad thing. But it's not a Mowbray thing

Fair enough, to be honest I’ve watched him play 5-6 times whenever Pompey been on tv and he’s always stood out to me however I know a few players stand out on tv but are inconsistent otherwise. I do feel however he’s a player that would suit the current formation as it stands inside forward type. As an aside it is absolutely staggering how much recruitment is needed this summer when you look at it on paper (if we want to progress)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the big priority this close season is a goalkeeper who actually keeps them out and two full backs,both of ours are mot failures who need sending to the scrapyard,though i doubt it very much that tony sees it that way,if he got offered the next cafu,he`d need to check his personality first,if you`re not nice then you`re not playing here😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Pathetic to give Bell another year. 
He’s shown time and again, he isn’t good enough. Must be a nice human....

Just like he persists with the wrong players in wrong positions and uncomfortable formations he also persists with these he's signed. Signed for lge 1 and belong there.

It's a great human quality giving lads he likes chance after chance after chance but it's not something associated with big progress.  It wouldn't be so bad if they were strictly back up but his rotation policy means they very much aren't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

the big priority this close season is a goalkeeper who actually keeps them out 

It was be interest who we sign for 2 keepers slots. I expect number 1 to foriegn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I expect us to borrow someone again.

For keeper? 

A expect our of contract foriegn keeper. Possible from Portugal where Bruno Ries has been scouting from reports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.