Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

45 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They are making up interest in Armstrong  and they made it up about Dack too? Mmm , ok then. 

Tinfoil Hat - TV Tropes

Its amazing after the shenanigans that have gone on here over the years that you think it is farfetched.

Wouldn't be the first time.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

he was never going play in the last year here. 

Mulgrew is very settled where he lives but he won't play again here. 

No I look at point of view that I would want to be playing football and not just sit there not playing and just training it was me in that position. Money is important but so is being happy and playing regular football

Its easy for you to say when you arent pressed with the decision of giving up thousands of pounds a week chaddy.

We can all have principles from the outside of loving the game and wanting to play football but would I give up thousands of pounds just to play a bit more football? Probably not.

We shouldnt have given those players those contracts in the first place.

Posted (edited)

Smallwood, a whole hearted player on the pitch, giving up a year of a time limited playing career to sit on a contract for 12 months, shows that ‘playing football’ isn’t the be all and end all when you know you won’t see a deal as lucrative again.

Edited by Mattyblue

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I totally understand his actions. Probably a mixture of mainly not wanting to take a paycut and not wanting to give up on playing Championship football may have played a part too.

Whether you thing it is "strange" or not, footballers have short careers and I totally understand a desire to get every last penny out of it for themselves and their family. He can now still get a League 1 contract, no harms been done in that year. Fair play to him.

Mulgrew knew that he was unwanted yet chose to come back so he must like it here, he must be settled. This pay off could have been avoided.

I think you are looking at it solely from the clubs point of view. Fact of the matter is that Mowbray shouldnt have handed out contracts like confetti to Mulgrew, Williams ,Bennett and indeed Smallwood when we came up, it was such a shortsighted and wasteful thing to do especially under FFP and has left us lumbered with players that arent up to it.

Exactly, how many people would volunteer to go into work tomorrow if they still got paid for not doing. To 95% of pro sportsmen it's just a job of work. Most of them won't do anything without being paid. The ones that will are a very small minority.

Just now, JHRover said:

Its amazing after the shenanigans that have gone on here over the years that you think it is farfetched.

Wouldn't be the first time.

No I just think it would be more surprising if Premier league clubs weren't interested in scored 17 goals , at least 2 of which contenders for the goal of the season. If you think the LT should censor stories about our better players, fair enough. A bit too Pravda for me though. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Its easy for you to say when you arent pressed with the decision of giving up thousands of pounds a week chaddy.

We can all have principles from the outside of loving the game and wanting to play football but would I give up thousands of pounds just to play a bit more football? Probably not.

Depends what is more important to the player, playing regular football or collecting a wage. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Maybe he’s happy living in Wrea Green and taking the cash?

His house is lovely there. Its a good area and close to Lytham

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Burnley probably want this sort of story to try and get shut of Gibson.

Do Rovers want shut of Armstrong?

These made up stories are NOT helpful to Rovers, the player or the team. At best they cause speculation and rumours to swirl.

32 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

To be fair, JH’s point is about the club’s top assets, the likes of Pope, not deadwood.

So when the link the likes of Smallwood or others with moves, that's fine?  Anyway, maybe no one is interested in Pope at the price Burnley would want. Armstrong could be seen as a bargain gamble in and around the 10 million mark. Pickford cost 30 million, for example. Pope would be what 40 million then? 

Smallwood drained 5-10k pwk for a year seemingly with the gaffers consent after being told it's highly unlikely he'll kick a ball with the first team.  Surely they won't let Mulgrew do the same on double that.

Just think about this when we are told we can't find the extra few grand a week for a keeper on loan or something.  Mowbray should pay off these out of his own pocket !  

Wouldn't be so generous to his mates with his own money.

35 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

To be fair, JH’s point is about the club’s top assets, the likes of Pope, not deadwood.

The dingles are probably grateful that somebody is putting Gibson in the shop window.

Just now, JHRover said:

Burnley probably want this sort of story to try and get shut of Gibson.

Do Rovers want shut of Armstrong?

These made up stories are NOT helpful to Rovers, the player or the team. At best they cause speculation and rumours to swirl.

"Burnely probably want this" "the Armstrong story is made up" The Dack link was made up" 

Man , you are starting to sound a bit ridiculous. 

Anyway, if a club was interested in AA, a link in the LT wasn't going to be the catalyst for that. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Depends what is more important to the player, playing regular football or collecting a wage. 

His house is lovely there. Its a good area and close to Lytham

Smallwood wouldn't have been out of pocket by going out on loan. He would have been paid by the club loaning him and the rest of his wages made up by Rovers contractually. I still find it strange that he chose to train regularly and not play any football. Once it became apparent that he wasn't going to play he should have been offered a settlement.

Each to their own.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So when the link the likes of Smallwood or others with moves, that's fine?  Anyway, maybe no one is interested in Pope at the price Burnley would want. Armstrong could be seen as a bargain gamble in and around the 10 million mark. Pickford cost 30 million, for example. Pope would be what 40 million then? 

What’s fine? They can print anything like about whoever they like.

JH however believes that when they print stories like ‘clubs linked’ about our top players without naming said clubs, it’s just the paper doing the bidding of agents and the club to get an auction going.

Considering Sharpe has never broken a transfer story from what I can recall and gets half his info from places like this, it’s not exactly far fetched and probably common practice.

Fair enough if folk want to call it ‘conspiracy’, but it’s how Nixon and his ilk have carved out a career. Naive to think otherwise.

Edited by Mattyblue

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Smallwood wouldn't have been out of pocket by going out on loan. He would have been paid by the club loaning him and the rest of his wages made up by Rovers contractually. I still find it strange that he chose to train regularly and not play any football. Once it became apparent that he wasn't going to play he should have been offered a settlement.

Each to their own.

Loaned to slog it in League 2 where he could potentially get injured? His stock would be no higher doing that than it is now when looking for a new club, arguably lower. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Sponsor
Just now, Mattyblue said:

What’s fine? They can print anything like about whoever they like.

JH however believes that when they print stories like ‘clubs linked’ about our top players without naming said clubs, it’s just the paper doing the bidding of agents and the club to get an auction going.

Considering Sharpe has never broken a transfer story from what I can recall and gets half his info from places like this, it’s not exactly far fetched and probably common practice.

Fair enough if folk want to call it ‘conspiracy’, but it’s how Nixon has carved out a career. Naive to think otherwise.

It's completely different to Nixon. 

I have no doubt there is interest in Armstrong and that Sharpe would have heard this. Simple as that really. 

Posted (edited)

Yes from agents, from Nixon type hacks, from someone in the club as we need the cash.

Its not a sleight on Sharpe, from his point of view it simply fills a page of the paper in the close season, which is hard enough. It’s all part of the ecosystem of the murky world of transfers.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Loaned to slog it in League 2 where he could potentially get injured? His stock would be no higher doing that than it is now when looking for a new deal, arguably lower. 

He could have got injured in training, that's football. I might be old fashioned but in my book footballers should want to play.

Posted (edited)

Sharpe reporting that we will be monitoring Wharton in preseason along with the rest of our 'young' defenders. So I wouldn't expect any incoming defenders for a while yet if at all, at which point we'll be picking up scraps. 

Edited by Lucimo

Just now, arbitro said:

He could have got injured in training, that's football. I might be old fashioned but in my book footballers should want to play.

They should, but many don’t... but they are straight out with the platitudes after moving on, ‘so happy to get going again after a tough season not getting the games I’d have liked’.

Just now, Lucimo said:

Sharpe reporting that we will be monitoring Wharton in preseason along with the rear of our 'young' defenders.

Pre-season's gone a bit weird...

4 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Sharpe reporting that we will be monitoring Wharton in preseason along with the rear of our 'young' defenders. So I wouldn't expect any incoming defenders for a while yet if at all, at which point we'll be picking up scraps. 

We do this every summer. Every pre season we set off with 6, 7, 8 younger lads who Mowbray wants to keep an eye on and see if they can break through.

But by the time the real action starts they won't be. I'm pretty sure of that especially in a crucial position like CB.

The problem is as you say this period of assessing the young lads either deters or prevents new signings coming in early doors and getting games and up to speed. 

Whether Mowbray genuinely wants to give them an opportunity or if he is sending messages off to India by giving them a try before deciding to spend instead I don't know.

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In many cases I agree, I can just understand why Smallwood would choose to stay here, use the nice facilities and get himself in good nick for finding a new club. 

5 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Sharpe reporting that we will be monitoring Wharton in preseason along with the rear of our 'young' defenders. So I wouldn't expect any incoming defenders for a while yet if at all, at which point we'll be picking up scraps. 

Well having a strong arse worked well for Daglish and does the job for Dack , so I see the logic :) 

11 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

It's a good idea to look at the younger players in pre season but we absolutely need another 1st choice CB alongside Lenihan no matter if Wharton is good enough.