Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We do this every summer. Every pre season we set off with 6, 7, 8 younger lads who Mowbray wants to keep an eye on and see if they can break through.

But by the time the real action starts they won't be. I'm pretty sure of that especially in a crucial position like CB.

The problem is as you say this period of assessing the young lads either deters or prevents new signings coming in early doors and getting games and up to speed. 

Whether Mowbray genuinely wants to give them an opportunity or if he is sending messages off to India by giving them a try before deciding to spend instead I don't know.

Nothing wrong with looking at Vale, Butterworth, Carter and Maglorie in pre season. 

We need another centre back or 2(if Williams leaves) in even if Wharton will be part of the 1st team squad next season. 

I would be keeping Vale here next season as part of the striker unit. 

Mowbray needs to focus on bring in 3 first choice players in the keeper, Centre back and centre midfield areas before September. 

Maglorie is never going go make it as Championship level.

32 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Loaned to slog it in League 2 where he could potentially get injured? His stock would be no higher doing that than it is now when looking for a new club, arguably lower. 

How high is his stock when he lost his place to a novice at championship level and hasn't kicked a ball for the first team in a year or whatever ?

Also you think clubs don't take notice of a player happy to sit out and soak up wages ?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nothing wrong with looking at Vale, Butterworth, Carter and Maglorie in pre season. 

We need another centre back or 2(if Williams leaves) in even if Wharton will be part of the 1st team squad next season. 

I would be keeping Vale here next season as part of the striker unit. 

Mowbray needs to focus on bring in 3 first choice players in the keeper, Centre back and centre midfield areas before September. 

Agreed, we don't have a problem creating/scoring goals, If we find a way to keep a few more out then we will progress, That's why I rated Tosin so much as his passing cut out our midfield into the final 3rd, we conceded a lot of goals and could of been more if balls were played to the cms more often 

Edited by Jlee1984

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Forgot about him. 

Where has he been? 

We have a habit of throwing a young lad in for a game, they do ok and then they never play gain. Magloire and Wharton spring to mind. 

Just now, tomphil said:

How high is his stock when he lost his place to a novice at championship level and hasn't kicked a ball for the first team in a year or whatever ?

Also you think clubs don't take notice of a player happy to sit out and soak up wages ?

Novice or not Travis is a good player, so no shame in that. Smallwood will be remembered for being a crucial part of our starting 11 that got promoted from League 1, that will have clubs interested. Dropping on loan to League 2 would only diminish that. 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Novice or not Travis is a good player, so no shame in that. Smallwood will be remembered for being a crucial part of our starting 11 that got promoted from League 1, that will have clubs interested. Dropping on loan to League 2 would only diminish that. 

How could it diminish it though if he's playing and playing well the lge 1 stuff would still be in his resume. He might then have a few decent clubs in for him instead of the desperado's. With that goes the chance of a better contract it's called putting yourself in the window and showing you want to play and have something to offer.  It's an age old method in football and sitting out your contract doing nothing is an age old red flag about attitude.

Sorry bud but by your theory very few would bother going out on loan it's not rocket science players should want to play.  There must be something in it that contractually suits Smallwood and fair enough but it isn't a good look to potential suiters. Especially someone of his age who has a good few years left.

To be fair if he does get a move to Sunderland then it was a canny move all round...

If he's well connected there could have been the promise of something on the table all along there. Hench him not giving a toss about doing much this season.

All about who ya know.....

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

To be fair if he does get a move to Sunderland then it was a canny move all round...

I'm delighted he's gone. Wasted wages on him for 2 years and the last year without playing took the absolute liberty, he could have at least gone out on loan. Our fault for giving him a contract I suppose.

Didn't rate him at all, he blocked me on twitter too, must have searched his name.

Anyway back to the topic people.

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'm delighted he's gone. Wasted wages on him for 2 years and the last year without playing took the absolute liberty, he could have at least gone out on loan. Our fault for giving him a contract I suppose.

Didn't rate him at all, he blocked me on twitter too, must have searched his name.

Anyway back to the topic people.

As you say, it is our fault for giving him the contract, he was fully entitled to sit on it.

Isnt talking about Smallwood in terms of transfers on topic? Its hardly as if there has been anything done to talk about anyway!

Just now, roversfan99 said:

As you say, it is our fault for giving him the contract, he was fully entitled to sit on it.

Isnt talking about Smallwood in terms of transfers on topic? Its hardly as if there has been anything done to talk about anyway!

Potentially on topic, but it's got nothing to do with our club.

The thought of him jogging back having the lost the ball is enough to make me want to steer away from the topic 😂.

Posted (edited)

what are people opinions on Jordan Jones? Stoke and Boro interested aswell

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Chris Martin has been released by Derby after they couldn't agree a new deal. He'd be an ideal target man for us. 

With Mowbray seemingly looking to move away from the style of fooball that would require a target man, I can't see it being a goer. I think he'd do a job though. Could probably get a good year or two out of Steven Fletcher as well.

Sponsor
Just now, RoverKyle said:

With Mowbray seemingly looking to move away from the style of fooball that would require a target man, I can't see it being a goer. I think he'd do a job though. Could probably get a good year or two out of Steven Fletcher as well.

We are moving away from that style of football. Why not bring through Jack Vale as part of the striker department going forward along with Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

what are people opinions on Jordan Jones?

Can beat a man for sure but wouldn't look into his time at rangers too much, To be fair he had top competition 

I thought that Mowbray doesnt play with wingers?

Seems like a lazy link to me, linking him to his former international manager, the club he came through the academy of and of a manager he used to play for.

Contrary to popular belief, we do need wide men who can competently operate there. I have seen him a few times for Rangers and he ticks the boxes, pacy, direct and provides width, whether he has that end product often enough, I am unsure.

I cant see it being a goer because of any potential fee. I am sure Gallagher will continue to trudge down the wings in the near future.

44 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Have to agree, saw him play the one league game against Wigan (I think), and he didn't win a header all game. 

Also didn't have a great time on loan at Rochdale I gather 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are moving away from that style of football.

A shame that we are moving away from out most effective style of play and the style that suits our players best.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

A shame that we are moving away from out most effective style of play and the style that suits our players best.

Makes me think is Dack going, We all know his best football were played linked with Graham, 

Just now, Jlee1984 said:

Makes me think is Dack going, We all know his best football were played linked with Graham, 

I think its a little bit unfair to be honest.

Dack is quite clearly very good technically and the main reason that Graham has been the best partner for him is simply that he has been the best striker that we have had in the last few years. No reason to suggest that he can only play in a direct team.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We are moving away from that style of football. Why not bring through Jack Vale as part of the striker department going forward along with Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher?

That's been the talk coming out of the club (Mowbray) for a while, but countless times last season we resorted to Lenihan or Walton lumping it up to the likes of Armstrong. There's little evidence that the transition in style has worked. We relied almost solely on Tosin passing it out from the back to get us up the pitch with the ball on the floor and he's gone back to City. If we don't sign a defender who has a similar passing range to Tosin, we're going to see more of Lenihan lumping it forward and that's just a fact.

I wasn't actually saying I would buy those suggestions by the way. Merely just agreeing with the sentiments that Chris Martin could do a job for us and offered up Steven Fletcher as someone who would be of a similar vein. It would make sense to have a variety of options up front though. All I've seen of Vale is from his cameo appearance at the end of the season and although he looked bright, I can't comment on whether he's a viable option for a Championship front line at the moment as I don't know enough about him. Happy to hear your views on him and his playing style if you've watched a number of U23 games he's featured in.

Not a lot to get excited about here , be nice if we were on windows from the off for once. We had plenty of time to identify what and who we needed

Just now, RoverKyle said:

That's been the talk coming out of the club (Mowbray) for a while, but countless times last season we resorted to Lenihan or Walton lumping it up to the likes of Armstrong. There's little evidence that the transition in style has worked. We relied almost solely on Tosin passing it out from the back to get us up the pitch with the ball on the floor and he's gone back to City. If we don't sign a defender who has a similar passing range to Tosin, we're going to see more of Lenihan lumping it forward and that's just a fact.

I wasn't actually saying I would buy those suggestions by the way. Merely just agreeing with the sentiments that Chris Martin could do a job for us and offered up Steven Fletcher as someone who would be of a similar vein. It would make sense to have a variety of options up front though. All I've seen of Vale is from his cameo appearance at the end of the season and although he looked bright, I can't comment on whether he's a viable option for a Championship front line at the moment as I don't know enough about him. Happy to hear your views on him and his playing style if you've watched a number of U23 games he's featured in.

Would need to shed another to bring a striker in. Currently gallagher, Armstrong , brereton vying for 1 spot up top, can’t see them throwing wages at another to add for that place