BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

To be fair if he does get a move to Sunderland then it was a canny move all round...

I'm delighted he's gone. Wasted wages on him for 2 years and the last year without playing took the absolute liberty, he could have at least gone out on loan. Our fault for giving him a contract I suppose.

Didn't rate him at all, he blocked me on twitter too, must have searched his name.

Anyway back to the topic people.

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'm delighted he's gone. Wasted wages on him for 2 years and the last year without playing took the absolute liberty, he could have at least gone out on loan. Our fault for giving him a contract I suppose.

Didn't rate him at all, he blocked me on twitter too, must have searched his name.

Anyway back to the topic people.

As you say, it is our fault for giving him the contract, he was fully entitled to sit on it.

Isnt talking about Smallwood in terms of transfers on topic? Its hardly as if there has been anything done to talk about anyway!

Just now, roversfan99 said:

As you say, it is our fault for giving him the contract, he was fully entitled to sit on it.

Isnt talking about Smallwood in terms of transfers on topic? Its hardly as if there has been anything done to talk about anyway!

Potentially on topic, but it's got nothing to do with our club.

The thought of him jogging back having the lost the ball is enough to make me want to steer away from the topic ?.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Chris Martin has been released by Derby after they couldn't agree a new deal. He'd be an ideal target man for us. 

With Mowbray seemingly looking to move away from the style of fooball that would require a target man, I can't see it being a goer. I think he'd do a job though. Could probably get a good year or two out of Steven Fletcher as well.

Just now, RoverKyle said:

With Mowbray seemingly looking to move away from the style of fooball that would require a target man, I can't see it being a goer. I think he'd do a job though. Could probably get a good year or two out of Steven Fletcher as well.

We are moving away from that style of football. Why not bring through Jack Vale as part of the striker department going forward along with Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher?

• Like 1

I thought that Mowbray doesnt play with wingers?

Seems like a lazy link to me, linking him to his former international manager, the club he came through the academy of and of a manager he used to play for.

Contrary to popular belief, we do need wide men who can competently operate there. I have seen him a few times for Rangers and he ticks the boxes, pacy, direct and provides width, whether he has that end product often enough, I am unsure.

I cant see it being a goer because of any potential fee. I am sure Gallagher will continue to trudge down the wings in the near future.

44 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Maglorie is never going go make it as Championship level.

Have to agree, saw him play the one league game against Wigan (I think), and he didn't win a header all game. 

Also didn't have a great time on loan at Rochdale I gather 

Just now, Jlee1984 said:

Makes me think is Dack going, We all know his best football were played linked with Graham, 

I think its a little bit unfair to be honest.

Dack is quite clearly very good technically and the main reason that Graham has been the best partner for him is simply that he has been the best striker that we have had in the last few years. No reason to suggest that he can only play in a direct team.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We are moving away from that style of football. Why not bring through Jack Vale as part of the striker department going forward along with Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher?

That's been the talk coming out of the club (Mowbray) for a while, but countless times last season we resorted to Lenihan or Walton lumping it up to the likes of Armstrong. There's little evidence that the transition in style has worked. We relied almost solely on Tosin passing it out from the back to get us up the pitch with the ball on the floor and he's gone back to City. If we don't sign a defender who has a similar passing range to Tosin, we're going to see more of Lenihan lumping it forward and that's just a fact.

I wasn't actually saying I would buy those suggestions by the way. Merely just agreeing with the sentiments that Chris Martin could do a job for us and offered up Steven Fletcher as someone who would be of a similar vein. It would make sense to have a variety of options up front though. All I've seen of Vale is from his cameo appearance at the end of the season and although he looked bright, I can't comment on whether he's a viable option for a Championship front line at the moment as I don't know enough about him. Happy to hear your views on him and his playing style if you've watched a number of U23 games he's featured in.

• Like 1

Just now, RoverKyle said:

That's been the talk coming out of the club (Mowbray) for a while, but countless times last season we resorted to Lenihan or Walton lumping it up to the likes of Armstrong. There's little evidence that the transition in style has worked. We relied almost solely on Tosin passing it out from the back to get us up the pitch with the ball on the floor and he's gone back to City. If we don't sign a defender who has a similar passing range to Tosin, we're going to see more of Lenihan lumping it forward and that's just a fact.

I wasn't actually saying I would buy those suggestions by the way. Merely just agreeing with the sentiments that Chris Martin could do a job for us and offered up Steven Fletcher as someone who would be of a similar vein. It would make sense to have a variety of options up front though. All I've seen of Vale is from his cameo appearance at the end of the season and although he looked bright, I can't comment on whether he's a viable option for a Championship front line at the moment as I don't know enough about him. Happy to hear your views on him and his playing style if you've watched a number of U23 games he's featured in.

Would need to shed another to bring a striker in. Currently gallagher, Armstrong , brereton vying for 1 spot up top, can’t see them throwing wages at another to add for that place 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Would need to shed another to bring a striker in. Currently gallagher, Armstrong , brereton vying for 1 spot up top, can’t see them throwing wages at another to add for that place 

Pissed a few off last at Ewood last season with his celebration but whoever gets Rhian Brewster on loan for 2020/21 gets Top 6 for me. Played very well in 2020 and only getting better.

7 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

By and large its been gash and needs binning off as plan B is always hoof it and plan A is often hoof it towards Gallagher on the wing.  There's no revolutionary style coming from these lot its classic second level stuff.

We've always looked better pressing in the faces or counter attacking but they don't seem brave enough for that very often. They want safety first tip tap that allows rotation, people out of position and youth in there all designed to get people mins and increase squad value. 

The manager and others on here ewould throw up stats it works over the season and we've finished a bit higher. No saying that another style wouldn't achieve similar though either and maybe just better.  Everything here is geared to just play it safe though and hope for the best.

Before we know it this team will be dismantled and we'll be throwing together odds and sods of another with another period of good chances missed. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

There's an argument to be made for another striker coming in if Mowbray insists on playing those three out wide. In my opinion, the only one of the three that should be playing out wide is Armstrong. He's proved that he can score from that area of the pitch. Striker isn't a priority area at the minute though, considering we're short of 2x goalkeepers, a centre back and a competent left back. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well having a strong arse worked well for Daglish and does the job for Dack , so I see the logic :) 

I'm sure we can expect to get quotes from TM soon. "Scotty has been out on loan and come back a man, with a cracking ass. Literally. He bust open 10 walnuts with it in a minute in pre-season trials and is firmly - pun intended - in contention for a starting spot. Tyler has come back with a flabby backside though and will have to go out on loan to build a man's arse."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

By and large its been gash and needs binning off as plan B is always hoof it and plan A is often hoof it towards Gallagher on the wing.  There's no revolutionary style coming from these lot its classic second level stuff.

We've always looked better pressing in the faces or counter attacking but they don't seem brave enough for that very often. They want safety first tip tap that allows rotation, people out of position and youth in there all designed to get people mins and increase squad value. 

The manager and others on here ewould throw up stats it works over the season and we've finished a bit higher. No saying that another style wouldn't achieve similar though either and maybe just better.  Everything here is geared to just play it safe though and hope for the best.

Before we know it this team will be dismantled and we'll be throwing together odds and sods of another with another period of good chances missed. 

Yeah I agree with every word. Stats wise it looks nice having lots of possession but if all we're doing with it is passing it around the back safely, I don't see the point. The only penetration we had was with Nyambe dragging us up the pitch (but with no final ball) and via Tosin's incisive passes through midfield. Our midfield struggled to create enough clear cut chances. It says a lot that most of the goals scored by our top scorer came from his individual brilliance, as opposed to from genuine creativity and team moves. Maybe that will improve with Dack coming back into the fold. 

Edited by RoverKyle
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

Can beat a man for sure but wouldn't look into his time at rangers too much, To be fair he had top competition 

Thanks. 

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought that Mowbray doesnt play with wingers?

Seems like a lazy link to me, linking him to his former international manager, the club he came through the academy of and of a manager he used to play for.

Contrary to popular belief, we do need wide men who can competently operate there. I have seen him a few times for Rangers and he ticks the boxes, pacy, direct and provides width, whether he has that end product often enough, I am unsure.

I cant see it being a goer because of any potential fee. I am sure Gallagher will continue to trudge down the wings in the near future.

is he winger or similar type of player to Rothwell who comes move inside. 

lazy Link? Boro and Stoke will probably need a wide man this summer. 

Well we don't need wingers if we are going to play a system thats requires them. The main focus is signing a Keeper, Centre back and Left back this season

21 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

A shame that we are moving away from out most effective style of play and the style that suits our players best.

Well its doesn't suit of best players best like Armstrong or Holtby or Dack does it. Graham has now gone. 

Look at the amount of goals Armstrong has scored since Christmas. He is our key player going forward now. He needs to playing in that 9 role going forward. 

11 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

We have change over the season in passing stats and the reduce in the number of long balls. 

We need to change away from the long ball to suit players like Rothwell, Armstrong, Holtby going forward. 

On Vale Ive seen him a few times. direct running, like to take players on. Has some skills but I want to him more of him.