Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Would need to shed another to bring a striker in. Currently gallagher, Armstrong , brereton vying for 1 spot up top, can’t see them throwing wages at another to add for that place 

Pissed a few off last at Ewood last season with his celebration but whoever gets Rhian Brewster on loan for 2020/21 gets Top 6 for me. Played very well in 2020 and only getting better.

7 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

That's been the talk coming out of the club (Mowbray) for a while, but countless times last season we resorted to Lenihan or Walton lumping it up to the likes of Armstrong. There's little evidence that the transition in style has worked. We relied almost solely on Tosin passing it out from the back to get us up the pitch with the ball on the floor and he's gone back to City. If we don't sign a defender who has a similar passing range to Tosin, we're going to see more of Lenihan lumping it forward and that's just a fact.

I wasn't actually saying I would buy those suggestions by the way. Merely just agreeing with the sentiments that Chris Martin could do a job for us and offered up Steven Fletcher as someone who would be of a similar vein. It would make sense to have a variety of options up front though. All I've seen of Vale is from his cameo appearance at the end of the season and although he looked bright, I can't comment on whether he's a viable option for a Championship front line at the moment as I don't know enough about him. Happy to hear your views on him and his playing style if you've watched a number of U23 games he's featured in.

By and large its been gash and needs binning off as plan B is always hoof it and plan A is often hoof it towards Gallagher on the wing.  There's no revolutionary style coming from these lot its classic second level stuff.

We've always looked better pressing in the faces or counter attacking but they don't seem brave enough for that very often. They want safety first tip tap that allows rotation, people out of position and youth in there all designed to get people mins and increase squad value. 

The manager and others on here ewould throw up stats it works over the season and we've finished a bit higher. No saying that another style wouldn't achieve similar though either and maybe just better.  Everything here is geared to just play it safe though and hope for the best.

Before we know it this team will be dismantled and we'll be throwing together odds and sods of another with another period of good chances missed. 

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Would need to shed another to bring a striker in. Currently gallagher, Armstrong , brereton vying for 1 spot up top, can’t see them throwing wages at another to add for that place 

There's an argument to be made for another striker coming in if Mowbray insists on playing those three out wide. In my opinion, the only one of the three that should be playing out wide is Armstrong. He's proved that he can score from that area of the pitch. Striker isn't a priority area at the minute though, considering we're short of 2x goalkeepers, a centre back and a competent left back. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well having a strong arse worked well for Daglish and does the job for Dack , so I see the logic :) 

Haha edited 😂

Edited by Lucimo

Well having a strong arse worked well for Daglish and does the job for Dack , so I see the logic :) 

I'm sure we can expect to get quotes from TM soon. "Scotty has been out on loan and come back a man, with a cracking ass. Literally. He bust open 10 walnuts with it in a minute in pre-season trials and is firmly - pun intended - in contention for a starting spot. Tyler has come back with a flabby backside though and will have to go out on loan to build a man's arse."

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

By and large its been gash and needs binning off as plan B is always hoof it and plan A is often hoof it towards Gallagher on the wing.  There's no revolutionary style coming from these lot its classic second level stuff.

We've always looked better pressing in the faces or counter attacking but they don't seem brave enough for that very often. They want safety first tip tap that allows rotation, people out of position and youth in there all designed to get people mins and increase squad value. 

The manager and others on here ewould throw up stats it works over the season and we've finished a bit higher. No saying that another style wouldn't achieve similar though either and maybe just better.  Everything here is geared to just play it safe though and hope for the best.

Before we know it this team will be dismantled and we'll be throwing together odds and sods of another with another period of good chances missed. 

Yeah I agree with every word. Stats wise it looks nice having lots of possession but if all we're doing with it is passing it around the back safely, I don't see the point. The only penetration we had was with Nyambe dragging us up the pitch (but with no final ball) and via Tosin's incisive passes through midfield. Our midfield struggled to create enough clear cut chances. It says a lot that most of the goals scored by our top scorer came from his individual brilliance, as opposed to from genuine creativity and team moves. Maybe that will improve with Dack coming back into the fold. 

Edited by RoverKyle

28 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

Can beat a man for sure but wouldn't look into his time at rangers too much, To be fair he had top competition 

Thanks. 

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought that Mowbray doesnt play with wingers?

Seems like a lazy link to me, linking him to his former international manager, the club he came through the academy of and of a manager he used to play for.

Contrary to popular belief, we do need wide men who can competently operate there. I have seen him a few times for Rangers and he ticks the boxes, pacy, direct and provides width, whether he has that end product often enough, I am unsure.

I cant see it being a goer because of any potential fee. I am sure Gallagher will continue to trudge down the wings in the near future.

is he winger or similar type of player to Rothwell who comes move inside. 

lazy Link? Boro and Stoke will probably need a wide man this summer. 

Well we don't need wingers if we are going to play a system thats requires them. The main focus is signing a Keeper, Centre back and Left back this season

21 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

A shame that we are moving away from out most effective style of play and the style that suits our players best.

Well its doesn't suit of best players best like Armstrong or Holtby or Dack does it. Graham has now gone. 

Look at the amount of goals Armstrong has scored since Christmas. He is our key player going forward now. He needs to playing in that 9 role going forward. 

11 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

That's been the talk coming out of the club (Mowbray) for a while, but countless times last season we resorted to Lenihan or Walton lumping it up to the likes of Armstrong. There's little evidence that the transition in style has worked. We relied almost solely on Tosin passing it out from the back to get us up the pitch with the ball on the floor and he's gone back to City. If we don't sign a defender who has a similar passing range to Tosin, we're going to see more of Lenihan lumping it forward and that's just a fact.

I wasn't actually saying I would buy those suggestions by the way. Merely just agreeing with the sentiments that Chris Martin could do a job for us and offered up Steven Fletcher as someone who would be of a similar vein. It would make sense to have a variety of options up front though. All I've seen of Vale is from his cameo appearance at the end of the season and although he looked bright, I can't comment on whether he's a viable option for a Championship front line at the moment as I don't know enough about him. Happy to hear your views on him and his playing style if you've watched a number of U23 games he's featured in.

We have change over the season in passing stats and the reduce in the number of long balls. 

We need to change away from the long ball to suit players like Rothwell, Armstrong, Holtby going forward. 

On Vale Ive seen him a few times. direct running, like to take players on. Has some skills but I want to him more of him. 

We'll get part way through next season doing similar and going nowhere at which point i can see the manager saying maybe we need better players but we can't afford them !!!

Can just see it now, when it's something everybody knows already.  Get them playing a wait that suits them and their strengths not his so called ideals that are part fantasy.

22 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Pissed a few off last at Ewood last season with his celebration but whoever gets Rhian Brewster on loan for 2020/21 gets Top 6 for me. Played very well in 2020 and only getting better.

He is going Pl club on loan or staying at Liverpool. 

Was never coming here. 

@roversfan99, mention Parrott from Spurs going to Millwall on loan next summer. Reject loan moves to Celtic and Swansea from reports

29 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not a lot to get excited about here , be nice if we were on windows from the off for once. We had plenty of time to identify what and who we needed

You not heard much pal?

30 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Revolutionary, I know, but I'd sign a midfielder that can pass.

We've not had one for years.

The reason Tosin was the playmaker last year, and Mulgrew the years before, is because our CMs go hiding rather than coming short to get the ball and dictate play.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have change over the season in passing stats and the reduce in the number of long balls. 

We need to change away from the long ball to suit players like Rothwell, Armstrong, Holtby going forward. 

But we don't have the players in defence or midfield who are capable of passing the ball to these players the way that Mowbray wants them to. The likes of Holtby and Rothwell need the ball played quickly into them when they have space but our defenders and sitting midfielders don't have the ability to move the ball quickly and accurately, which is why we see so much ponderous sideways and backwards passing. Personally I think if we can sort the defence out then we are better suited to counter attacking football.

Edited by Ewood Ace

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The reason Tosin was the playmaker last year, and Mulgrew the years before, is because our CMs go hiding rather than coming short to get the ball and dictate play.

I think we have one already on the books who could sit deep and try and dictate the play, Lewis Holtby.

Problem is Mowbray plays him everywhere but that role.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

How could it diminish it though if he's playing and playing well the lge 1 stuff would still be in his resume. He might then have a few decent clubs in for him instead of the desperado's. With that goes the chance of a better contract it's called putting yourself in the window and showing you want to play and have something to offer.  It's an age old method in football and sitting out your contract doing nothing is an age old red flag about attitude.

Sorry bud but by your theory very few would bother going out on loan it's not rocket science players should want to play.  There must be something in it that contractually suits Smallwood and fair enough but it isn't a good look to potential suiters. Especially someone of his age who has a good few years left.

Well if he moves to someone like Sunderland my theory will be bang on :) Would be a great move. 

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Saved me a job there. 2 bruisers who can defend would do me. As long as they are able to play a 5 yard pass to a playmaker who can dictate a quick tempo I'm good with that.

Sponsor
8 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

You not heard much pal?

Nah doubt I will, offices are pretty much shut up. Good for keeping targets quiet. My links aren’t at the club currently so I’m in the dark as much as anyone 

Not interested in Jordan Jones, not the type of player we are looking for. 

GK, LB, 2 x CBs, DM, ST no messing about

Just spoke with a Celtic fan there and he mentioned the Jones link. He said he was excellent for Kilmarnock and was doing well for Ranger, but that Gerrard took a dislike to him after an incident where he either got sent off or injured doing a bad tackle and never forgave him. He said Gerrard has a ruthless style that may not be in his own best interests long-term. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just spoke with a Celtic fan there and he mentioned the Jones link. He said he was excellent for Kilmarnock and was doing well for Ranger, but that Gerrard took a dislike to him after an incident where he either got sent off or injured doing a bad tackle and never forgave him. He said Gerrard has a ruthless style that may not be in his own best interests long-term. 

Well if Jones wants the exact opposite managerial style......

Signing Parrott is excellent business by Milwall, he looks a player. Probably signed there because Malumby gave good reviews after being there last season. I suppose it's London too , so not far from where he is now. 

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I think we have one already on the books who could sit deep and try and dictate the play, Lewis Holtby.

Problem is Mowbray plays him everywhere but that role.

Holtby himself has said that is his best role but as we saw last season with Harrison Reed, Mowbray could spot a central midfielder if he was stood right in front of him

Just now, bluebruce said:

Well if Jones wants the exact opposite managerial style......

Indeed....

44 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Sounds like Rangers might get that done 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sounds like Rangers might get that done 

That'd be a backwards step for him.

9 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

But we don't have the players in defence of midfield who are capable of passing the ball to these players the way that Mowbray wants them to. The likes of Holtby and Rothwell need the ball played quickly into them when they have space but our defenders and sitting midfielders don't have the ability to move the ball quickly and accurately, which is why we see so much ponderous sideways and backwards passing. Personally I think if we can sort the defence out then we are better suited to counter attacking football.

maybe thats why he is looking Ben Whiteman to play the passing midfielder and a reason why Downing played so much in centre midfield last season. I don't think Holtby can play that role for me. Much better playing the number 10 role or inside right role. 

So if you wanting to play that counter attacking football style what would your formation and starting 11 be please Ewood Ace? Just want to hear your thoughts on it  and genuine interested in them