BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

23 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I think we all know what positions we need to strengthen but I think we also need to get some leaders on the pitch. We are woefully lacking characters.

Danny Graham didn't play that often but he had a presence which I think encouraged others and certainly brought the best out of Dack. With him gone who's left? Travis is a battler but doesn't really have leadership qualities just yet.

Won't be a popular suggestion but I'd go for Sam Morsy if Wigan are offloading. May not fill one of our problem positions but just what we need in terms of character.

Can't think he'd be welcomed in the changing room

37 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I think we all know what positions we need to strengthen but I think we also need to get some leaders on the pitch. We are woefully lacking characters.

Danny Graham didn't play that often but he had a presence which I think encouraged others and certainly brought the best out of Dack. With him gone who's left? Travis is a battler but doesn't really have leadership qualities just yet.

Won't be a popular suggestion but I'd go for Sam Morsy if Wigan are offloading. May not fill one of our problem positions but just what we need in terms of character.

Morsy would be a great shout. Just what we’ve missed for a years. A proper hard man. Who cares if he’s not popular. 

Edited by Bohinen 22
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Morsy would be a great shout. Just what we’ve missed for a years. A proper hard man. Who cares if he’s not popular. 

Why would you want to bring someone in who is going to upset the apple cart? You can get a "proper hard man" without p*ssing everyone else off. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

And I think it's time there was a general discussion about Darragh Lenihan. At centre-back you can get away with a lot because not everyone can see the mistakes you're making. Lenihan struggles big time with his in-the-box positioning.

1338112812_vsDoncasterlenihan.png.3eac00a378aa6959c013888153789ea0.png

Take this goal vs Reading. Lenihan completely out of position, Obita can run into the grand open space left by Nyambe who's attempting to cover the lack of an RCB, he can cross to the open lad who Lenihan should be with, or he can aim further for the two lads who've doubled up on Hayden Carter due to Lenihan's absence. Goal ensued.

520824105_vsDoncasterOne.png.29bf3f0be3720af21e13a4160e5ef726.png

Or here more recently against Doncaster where number 11 and number 9 just 14 seconds into the game were given all of this space in the box, Lenihan is so deep that they can all arrive into the box, Bell is busy marking 26 and it leaves two players completely unmarked. Against a Championship side we'd have been 1-0 down here.

40427891_vsDoncaster2.png.f151c6b53de34474bd433c8ba1282eb1.png

And this is a little more general, but an issue with our defence in general, including Lenihan, is a lack of urgency to get out when the ball is cleared. Bell plays a shit ball out to their man on the edge and the line meanders out towards the ball carrier. Leaves the shot, and three open players unmarked in the box for him to choose from. Goal ensues.

I believe we conceded least goals from corners last season; lenihan will do for me.

25 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

I believe we conceded least goals from corners last season; lenihan will do for me.

Good defender for us, and certainly not someone who needs replacing, but still not commanding enough in the air for my liking.  Mulgrew got panned, blamed and shipped out for our opening day defeat to Charlton, but it was Leninan at fault for both goals that day  which came from high balls into the box. As Joe eludes to, his problem isn't necessarily that he doesn't jump high enough and win balls in the air. It's that he is in the wrong position or makes a wrong choice as the ball is coming in. Fortunately, even though he is not a youngster any more, I think that's something a 26 year old centre half can still improve on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Good defender for us, and certainly not someone who needs replacing, but still not commanding enough in the air for my liking.  Mulgrew got panned, blamed and shipped out for our opening day defeat to Charlton, but it was Leninan at fault for both goals that day  which came from high balls into the box. As Joe eludes to, his problem isn't necessarily that he doesn't jump high enough and win balls in the air. It's that he is in the wrong position or makes a wrong choice as the ball is coming in. Fortunately, even though he is not a youngster any more, I think that's something a 26 year old centre half can still improve on.

It was Mulgrew at fault that day for s least one goal A mistake in a headed clearance and being too slow after.

Embarrassing defending when we really outplayed them. Mulgrew was rightly criticised.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Is he the only likely looking left back in the whole of Western Europe ? Surely there must be other players out there ?  I suppose he could keep Dack company on the road back to full fitness. Nyambe is prone to muscle type injuries, Lenihan usually has a month out with a knock or a suspension. Williams rarely goes for too long without picking up some mystery injury. Then you have Evans and Holtby who if you're lucky might play 46 games between them. Up front Chapman is another one just coming back from a serious injury.

I'd rather sign a player that is 100%fit and ready for action when we sign him and make some space in the treatment room.

Great post. 

Now sometimes you have to have a player with a dicey record injury wise to get a talent who would otherwise be out of your reach. Bellamy was one of those players for us.  But it's all a question of balance - one or two is a manageable risk especially if adding otherwise unattainable quality but 5 or 6 and it's very worrying, especially with a thin squad. 

It's the aquaddies who are like that who I would move on. We were miles better with Lenihen in the team so wouldn't get rid despite his record (plus we have no defenders) but the likes of Evans and Williams who are only mediocre when they are playing at their best can do one imo. Waste of wages and a strain on the squad. 

17 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

It was Mulgrew at fault that day for s least one goal A mistake in a headed clearance and being too slow after.

Embarrassing defending when we really outplayed them. Mulgrew was rightly criticised.

Mulgrew was at fault for which goal?

The first one where Darragh gets under the ball (not helped by the full back)?

Or the second where Darragh gets beaten in the air from a corner?

https://youtu.be/mcNk3BlAOCw

Edited by Hasta