BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18734840.this-close---mowbray-feels-rovers-wont-far-away-year/

"While we've had amazing support, I feel we're almost on the cusp of having a pretty good team in this league this year but yet here we are, where in previous years we've been able to buy a £5m centre forward and a £6m striker, we are this close, yet this year because of Covid it's not there for us and I'm not sure we're right bang in the middle of it"

You shouldn't have wasted the money you did get, Tony.

• Like 7

Wonder if finally a little bit of pressure is being applied from above and this is his response via the media ?

A little plea for a bit more backing maybe although from their point of view and ours the amazing support hes had in the last 2 summers needs to be in payback mode now.

1 minute ago, Ruaney said:

So, is anyone signing today or was all that a load of bollocks on Friday? ?

Things aren’t as black and white as that. Sometimes info is wrong, or deals are scuppered. We all heard TM’s interview, somethings obviously changed.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Things aren’t as black and white as that. Sometimes info is wrong, or deals are scuppered. We all heard TM’s interview, somethings obviously changed.

Yeah, I get that. I was being facetious really! Can't have been scuppered if he had signed though. Info most likely wrong / made up.

• Like 1

If money isn’t there to buy or loan, I’d rather us utilise the academy and JRC across LB, RB and Wing. Bell has been... ok and we still have Williams. I’d rather not see us spunk our last pennies on players only to end up like Bolton and Wigan. 

We are comfortably mid table but with a little luck, we could sneak into the playoffs. 

IMO

• Like 1

On Manning, we are at the stage where nobody should take anything said seriously.

There are clearly very tough negotiations with QPR and the player's agent.

Fans have been conditioned for these failing but what Mowbray has said is also addressed to the player, his agent and QPR.

Fingers crossed time- deal is not dead but we are not going to be legged over either so could easily die today. 

If the player is hell bent on leaving QPR, it all depends on who else is in the beauty parade of interested clubs and how determined they are. If there is a chance that QPR and the player can kiss and make up, I wouldn't rate our chances. 

I think we could just about survive with no further signings except a left back. Left back is critical. Besides the fact that Bell is not consistent enough, if he gets injured we don't have anyone. JRC, William, Bennett, Mulgrew etc can fill in but they are all very weak there in different ways.

Need someone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

We are comfortably mid table but with a little luck, we could sneak into the playoffs. 

I dont agree. I think we can be mid table IF we avoid any more injuries and IF our key men do the business.

However if we continue to sustain injuries or key men lose form our lack of depth and options is alarming and will probably see us struggle.

Even if we were in with a chance of the play offs, should we really be relying on luck to potentially 'sneak into' the play offs? Or should we be aiming higher and trying to take luck out of the equation as much as possible?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mercer said:

So true.

I remember the likes of Geoff Hutt, Andy Burgin, Chris Sulley etc - left backs bought with washers and ten times better than Bell.

Just where the feck do our scouts look!?!?

Yeah Andy Burgin, we got him from Halifax for a handful of magic beans and a toilet seat. Twice the left back that Bell will ever be. Mick Heaton on the other flank, a free transfer from Sheff Utd !

9 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think we could just about survive with no further signings except a left back. Left back is critical. Besides the fact that Bell is not consistent enough, if he gets injured we don't have anyone. JRC, William, Bennett, Mulgrew etc can fill in but they are all very weak there in different ways.

Need someone.

Yep. If what he said is true then we must use that money for a decent permanent left back. Been such a weak link save for Cunningham’s 5 or so matches there last season.

26 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I think the info was just wrong. Very little leaks out of Ewood these days regarding transfers. 

Maybe, I don't think info was wrong, I think something fell through.

2 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Don’t quite get this, surely there is a 3rd option besides spending and loans and that’s using the free agent market?

Ayala hopefully is proof of the quality available atm. Not sure if free agents are entitled to signing on fees or not though?

They are indeed and it’s often at inflated levels as they use the fact the club paid no transfer fee. Think when Aaron Ramsey signed for Juventus for free he pocketed 15/20million as a sign on fee!

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

If money isn’t there to buy or loan, I’d rather us utilise the academy and JRC across LB, RB and Wing. Bell has been... ok and we still have Williams. I’d rather not see us spunk our last pennies on players only to end up like Bolton and Wigan. 

IMO

Bell has been ok? There is a bit of money/leverage left to bring in someone permanently or a couple on loan as Mowbray mentioned. So im not sure it is a case of us "spunking our last pennies on players only to end up like Bolton and Wigan" which are 2 totally different situations. So there is no reason why we shouldnt have a left back at the end of the window and as soon as possible ideally even within Mowbrays adjusted comments about recruitment after seemingly a transfer meeting on Thursday that didnt go as well as expected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18734840.this-close---mowbray-feels-rovers-wont-far-away-year/

"While we've had amazing support, I feel we're almost on the cusp of having a pretty good team in this league this year but yet here we are, where in previous years we've been able to buy a £5m centre forward and a £6m striker, we are this close, yet this year because of Covid it's not there for us and I'm not sure we're right bang in the middle of it"

You shouldn't have wasted the money you did get, Tony.

First i am a fan of Mowbray but the sbove makes my head hurt when the striker is goal shy and neither play as centre forward when on the pitch ??

I'd also be wary of signing players given that del Williams has more goals than 11 million quid has bought ?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

If you want an indication of how our window has gone, Preston are a full 61 pages ahead of us in their Summer Transfer Window thread.

I would expect us to finish above PNE given their apparent stagnation, but we all know that's not how it works in the real world.

Im not sure the number of pages in a transfer window thread on a respective forum is proof of the success of a window!

Ultimately we had many more holes to fill comparatively in that not only did they finish closer to the play offs but they also were less reliant on loans. We had no goalkeeper and a key centre back who had gone back.

I think they are one year ahead of us in terms of the cycle of their team, so we potentially have one extra year on them. They are in a situation now where they have Davies with a year to go on his contract and getting interest from other clubs, they have the same problem with Johnson and also Pearson although I dont know if he has got any interest. They might need to sell some and restart if they wont sign new deals.

I cant help but fear that we might get to a similar situation next summer if we dont go up. Armstrong, Lenihan and with his option Dack all have 2 years to run, and Nyambe only 1 year. It is probably going to be very difficult to get them to commit long term (although we must prioritise them urgently) but unless we can get them to sign or indeed get promotion (or at least close) it may be a case of having to sell some if not all of them next summer to get a fee for them. Luckily I think Travis is here for the next 3 years.

14 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

First i am a fan of Mowbray but the sbove makes my head hurt when the striker is goal shy and neither play as centre forward when on the pitch ??

I'd also be wary of signing players given that del Williams has more goals than 11 million quid has bought ?

Haha yeah probably best he doesn’t go there. Like hey look at all the cash I’ve blown in the past, wonder why there is no more.

Edited by Fraserkirky

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Unless we are keeping Williams - still need cover at Centre Back - also need decent back up keeper.

I’m going purely off if it’s a choice between one signing or a few loans. If things change where we can bring two or three signings in then my comment is obsolete. I’d rather play Wharton if we are bobbling around midtable , maybe give magloire a game etc and re asses in summer. If we’re “in the mix “ then get the right players on loan to get us over the line

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Going off what Tony has said I think we need to spend the lot on a decent left back, see where we are in the next window and then if we are looking like we can sustain a play off place , go to India , show them how vital it is we don’t blow our best chance, ask them to sign a cheque or two (as we all know they never refuse) and get the quality in on loan to push us to where we need to be, if we are still mid table and inconsistent then save the begging bowl for the summer window and give some youth a chance if anyone is ready to step up or wee with the willy we have 

Thing is Gregg, there can be no begging bowl next summer. Our three year FFP cycle will be up and we will either have broken our budget for it or be very close.

I'm not sure on the specifics of the rules, but maybe you could argue that if we are just about inside it, we wouldn't get judged on it again for another season, meaning we could in theory have one last splurge and charge? But even assuming it works that way, can anybody really see the club, nevermind Venkys, taking that risk and massively over shooting the rules the next summer, getting sanctions for sure?

No point anybody mentioning the potential loopholes around it either, we are late enough into these processes to know that Venkys have no stomach for that. It would take them years to arrange at their pace too.

In essence, the league's rules will be dictating our budget from next summer on. That may even be the real source of limitation this summer too. It's not like we won't be aware of how close we are to it even before covid came along.

Really, it's this season or practically start all over again and sell to buy from then on. This is the last time we could really roll the dice on spending to go up. We clearly aren't. 

Playing hypothetical, assuming TM has approx 1.5m to play with, which is not an unreasonable guess. 

If he needs say minimum of 2 players, ie a lb and either keeper back up or Travis cover, a signing on fee of £200,000 - £250,000  per player should leave enough for salaries of around £10,000 pw which again is probably about where Rovers are. 

Or is that too simplistic? 

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure the number of pages in a transfer window thread on a respective forum is proof of the success of a window!

Ultimately we had many more holes to fill comparatively in that not only did they finish closer to the play offs but they also were less reliant on loans. We had no goalkeeper and a key centre back who had gone back.

I think they are one year ahead of us in terms of the cycle of their team, so we potentially have one extra year on them. They are in a situation now where they have Davies with a year to go on his contract and getting interest from other clubs, they have the same problem with Johnson and also Pearson although I dont know if he has got any interest. They might need to sell some and restart if they wont sign new deals.

I cant help but fear that we might get to a similar situation next summer if we dont go up. Armstrong, Lenihan and with his option Dack all have 2 years to run, and Nyambe only 1 year. It is probably going to be very difficult to get them to commit long term (although we must prioritise them urgently) but unless we can get them to sign or indeed get promotion (or at least close) it may be a case of having to sell some if not all of them next summer to get a fee for them. Luckily I think Travis is here for the next 3 years.

Agreed. We have a Category One youth system, proficient Under 23's team and superb training facilities so that new and improved players come through our ranks to replace those lost. Preston simply don't have this luxury. It's why we'll succeed over them in the future in my opinion.