BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or Go - A Poll

Mowbray: Back or Sack  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Forget what Waggott will or won’t do, based on his performance as manager to this point, should Mowbray stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go
    • Don’t care

Mowbray has to go:

Wasted £12m on strikers.

Plays players consistently out of position.

Opts for a wide striker tactic that doesn't work.

Has made the squad the most imbalanced it's ever been.

Consistently plays Bennett.

Has sold one of the best keepers in the championship for a fraud of a keeper who's not even ours.

Mowbray out.

Edited by RoversClitheroe
  • Like 3

He has had plenty of time and money to get a team together and into at least the play offs. His bizarre team selections and so called tactics are evidence of managerial naivety. He should go now.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Mowbray has to go:

Wasted £12m on strikers.

Plays players consistently out of position.

Opts for a wide striker tactic that doesn't work.

Has made the squad the most imbalanced it's ever been.

Consistently plays Bennett.

Has sold one of the best keepers in the championship for a fraud of a keeper who's not even ours.

Mowbray out.

It’s hard to pick out something he has done well in the Championship.

His record shows that he loses as many games as he wins, so our league position fluctuates depending on which way the fixtures fall. Even after our flirtation with the play-offs looks to now be settling back down to a mid-table finish.

The answer to the question probably depends on whether people think it is acceptable to just stay in the Championship season after season on a gradual decline followed by the odd fillip - which is the best Mowbray will achieve - while the debt continues to rise and rise. And more importantly will our tormentors continue to write off a few million pounds every season?

And if there are fans out there who see Mowbray as a safe pair of hands to keep a steady ship (“it’s better than relegation”) then I’d ask them: what is the end game? what is going to change? And when? Is there some hope that Venkys will sell to someone who will fund us? Will this even be possible with FFP? Because it looks more likely the longer it goes on the closer we look to be heading towards admin.

It surely is promotion or bust. If Mowbray isn’t the man to get us promoted, and if he’s about to go through the same phase that Bowyer did (players sold and freebies until FFP resets) then that looks unlikely. Much like Bowyer in 2014/15, this was the season when he had his opportunity and he blew it. He may well point to Dack’s injury but I’ll point to not improving our keeper or defence, and not replacing Dack’s goals.

Side note, and maybe a cautionary tale, Bowyer was dismissed in November 2015 and Shaw left 4 months later. Surely changes should be made before a transfer window...

• Like 2

Sometimes it just feels the right time to part company, and sadly we have come to that time with Tony. I say sadly because I suspect that in 20 years we will view his tenure through a different lens and see that he did actually do more for this club than currently meets the eye.

Thanks Tony and cheerio. 

• Like 1

I'll probably be in a minority of one, but I've been there before, so I'll repeat what I said on another thread. I would have fired him at the end of the season we got promoted. I thought he was a pretty one dimensional manager with out dated ways of thinking. We didn't play well enough for long enough in games for my liking. He would have got another job on the strength of his relative success at Rovers and we could have got somebody in who could have taken us to another level.

Of course the fly in my ointment is always " Would the Chicken Chokers have enough brain power to appoint someone who would be an improvement " It's a moot point but as fans we can't carry on down the road of minimum ambition even if they do.

So should he be fired now ? Yes, I think he should. Just as he should have been fired this time last season when we went into another free fall.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

He needs to be given 10 games next season with Dack back and a fully fit squad, with a bit of cattle trading over the summer.

I’d rather have that, than bring In one of the usual suspects who will spend the next 3 seasons keeping us in mid table and repeat.......

The club isn’t geared up in any way to make the step into the Premiership, we never will be under Venkys and that’s the hand Mowbray or any manger that comes in has been dealt.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

Just now, Gav said:

He needs to be given 10 games next season with Dack back and a fully fit squad, with a bit of cattle trading over the summer.

I’d rather have that, than bring In one of the usual suspects who will spend the next 3 seasons keeping us in mid table and repeat.......

We can't allow him to waste another transfer window. Making us even more imbalanced with his quite frankly backward tactics.

• Like 8

Just now, Gav said:

What results does he need to get out of those 10 games?

Is 3 wins, 3 draws, 4 defeats enough?

This cycle will go on and on.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Gav said:

The club isn’t geared up in any way to make the step into the Premiership, we never will be under Venkys.

Why 10 games ? If you think he is going to make a success of those 10 games why not say give him a new long term contract.

• Like 1

Bringing in a new manager won’t improve things in my book chaps, that’s the point really.

I’ve seen some right donkeys mentioned earlier today - Mick McCarthy a poor mans Allardyce, kept Ipswich just above the relegation zone season after season, do you want that?

Be careful what you wish for, big Mick is exactly the type of manager we’d end up with, give me Mowbray all day long.

• Like 1

Not true at all there, Gav. 

McCarthy constantly had to sell his best players whilst bringing in free transfers (he had a net spend of about minus 15 million, no luxury £7million signings on young forwards there) and kept them largely in the top 10, with play off appearances ... look what has happened to them since for evidence of how well he did.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Bringing in a new manager won’t improve things in my book chaps, that’s the point really.

I’ve seen some right donkeys mentioned earlier today - Mick McCarthy a poor mans Allardyce, kept Ipswich just above the relegation zone season after season, do you want that?

McCarthy in 5 full seasons at Ipswich finished in the top half in 4 of those 5 seasons including 6th, 7th and 9th place finishes. I'd hardly call that keeping them just above the relegation zone. Also in 5 and a half years there he spent around the same amount that Mowbray spent on Sam Gallagher alone and he also regularly lost his best players something that hasn't happened to Mowbray.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 5

There won’t be a ‘next step’, if by that you mean improvement. That’s ship‘s sailed with the piss poor transfer dealings since promotion.

A next manager will need to be someone who can work on a shoestring/in an embargo. Can Mowbray do that? Would he even want to? If not, what would be the issue with a McCarthy?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Forget what Waggott will or won’t do, based on his performance as manager to this point, should Mowbray stay or go?

But you cannot seperate what Waggott or Venkys will do. The two are inseperable. If we were to get rid of TM - and that ain't going to happen because a) his mate is his boss and b) a 12 match winless streak didnt bother them so 3 losses on the bounce is nothing - then we get another poor managaer from the same agency. It is groundhog Day and we are trapped in it. 

That said he's a decent at best manager and should have been booted from Rovers on numerous occasions imo. 

Problem is we keep getting second rate chancers from the same agency. 

• Backroom

Not going to regurgigate all of my thoughts from yesterday but basically I think his time here is up. Every manager has a finite lifespan at a club and I firmly feel Mowbray has reached his. He can't get a consistent tune out of this team and never really has been able to. Even in L1 our performances fluctuated drastically, the only difference is we were much better man-for-man than practically every team we faced so even a poor performance often resulted in a narrow win. The Championship requires more tactical nous and transfer market know-how than I think TM has to offer. He hasn't been a failure by any stretch of the imagination (except BB and SG which are two horrendous mistakes), but to me it's quite clear he can't push us any further forward.

Time to say thanks and move on. I have no faith in Venky's making a better appointment but treading water is no good either. I think we end up in the same place whether we stick with TM or make a poor appointment, so rolling the dice seems to be the best option. Just my opinion as far as future prediction is concerned though, obviously. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

But you cannot seperate what Waggott or Venkys will do. The two are inseperable. If we were to get rid of TM - and that ain't going to happen because a) his mate is his boss and b) a 12 match winless streak didnt bother them so 3 losses on the bounce is nothing - then we get another poor managaer from the same agency. It is groundhog Day and we are trapped in it. 

That said he's a decent at best manager and should have been booted from Rovers on numerous occasions imo. 

Problem is we keep getting second rate chancers from the same agency. 

Of course you can. I‘m interested in your opinion, not you telling me what theirs is.

Has to go. We are stagnating, not progressing. His tactical overhaul is a very confused an ineffective one. The recruitment since promotion has been really poor and he will never be able to escape the 2 big signings. There is a good chance that we will finish on less points than last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

What a defeatist attitude.

Like getting dumped at 16 years old and saying "there will never be another girlfriend for me"

Or a company's profits sliding and the company saying well a new CEO won't change our fortunes.

• Like 7

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

What a defeatist attitude.

Like getting dumped at 16 years old and saying "there will never be another girlfriend for me"

Or a company's profits sliding and the company saying well a new CEO won't change our fortunes.

Some of us live the real world Mr Clitheroe, we can see whats happening in front of us, the quality of players at our disposal, our budget, the coaches and staff in the background, the owners.

Whilst others think we'll go up every year, they're the ones throwing the toys out of the pram now promotion has gone down the drain, you're one of those by the sound of things.

The smart money was on us not going up this year, look at the squad, look at the players, not a chance, the same next season for me unless a large injection of cash comes in, we simply can't compete and changing the manager won't make a difference in my opinion.

But opinions are like arseholes, we all have one, I hope yours is right and mine is wrong.

Who are you going to bring in to replace Mowbray?

• Like 1