BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or Go - A Poll

Mowbray: Back or Sack  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Forget what Waggott will or won’t do, based on his performance as manager to this point, should Mowbray stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go
    • Don’t care

Think Mowbray needs drumming out of our club as soon as possible along with Venus, Lowe and Benson.

IMO, a dinosaurian manager with precious little to offer.

Some say make him DOF - please, give your heads a wobble.  IMO, would be an unmitigated disaster and hold us back even further.

It's a results game and three and a half years on, we are barely better off than when Mowbray arrived. 

IMO, our squad is flimsy, unbalanced and, in the main, bereft of quality.  I think our football is dire - we have no identity. 

This week with our performances, you could be forgiven for thinking Kean or Coyle were still in charge - what an indictment. 

Someone has a huge, huge job to do and much of that, IMO, is down to Mowbray's very, very poor player trading and generally appalling management (team selection, organisation, tactics, substitutions and mental and physical fitness). 

The decision is a no brainer.

We need a hungry, dynamic and innovative staff to at least give us a semblance of hope and optimism.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

Some of us live the real world Mr Clitheroe, we can see whats happening in front of us, the quality of players at our disposal, our budget, the coaches and staff in the background, the owners.

Whilst others think we'll go up every year, they're the ones throwing the toys out of the pram now promotion has gone down the drain, you're one of those by the sound of things.

The smart money was on us not going up this year, look at the squad, look at the players, not a chance, the same next season for me unless a large injection of cash comes in, we simply can't compete and changing the manager won't make a difference in my opinion.

But opinions are like arseholes, we all have one, I hope yours is right and mine is wrong.

Who are you going to bring in to replace Mowbray?

The budget which Mowbray absolutely depleted with 2 large signings that he plays out of position.

There are plenty of options for replacement. I'm sure you weren't saying Mowbray to replace Coyle or anything like that? It's easy picking a name out of the hat.

I think we need a young motivated manager like a Howe type (obviously Howe is highly unrealistic) but I'm saying more like a young ambitious manager.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Of course you can. I‘m interested in your opinion, not you telling me what theirs is.

I'm not so sure you can as whether I would pull the trigger if I had magic wish or something of that ilk, would depend on what would happen next. imo the next would be another crap manager from their stable of washed out has beens, so no real.change. in light of that it's hard to think we would get any better off the back of TM going, which is a very scary fact. 

IF we were a normal club - too right he would have gone. Definitely last year and again this year. The guy clearly isn't good enough and I have made no secret of my opinion that at best he is average and a normal club he would have gone several times over. 

Problem is Stuart we aren't a normal club and TM is the best decision they have made. Their decision making combined with the most limited pool of replacements ever makes me very wary about getting rid, even if he is poor. The alternative I think makes poor look decent. 

25 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

The budget which Mowbray absolutely depleted with 2 large signings that he plays out of position.

There are plenty of options for replacement. I'm sure you weren't saying Mowbray to replace Coyle or anything like that? It's easy picking a name out of the hat.

I think we need a young motivated manager like a Howe type (obviously Howe is highly unrealistic) but I'm saying more like a young ambitious manager.

Coyle was poison and useless, Mowbray is neither of those things.

Howe isn't an option as you quite rightly point out, so give us a couple of names, plenty out there by your own admission?

Edited by Gav

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Howe isn't an option as you quite rightly point out, so give us a couple of names, plenty out there by your own admission?

Poison would be harsh to describe Mowbray Magoo. More like a stimulant that clouds people's brains. Either to the extent they are too numb to see his faults or numb to his management skills.

Edited by Vinjay
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gav said:

When I'm talking RE Howe I'm saying he was an unknown highly ambitious manager beforehand. I could research for an hour and produce a pointless name like many do on this forum. I'm not the decision maker here. I'm just making a statement and opinion that Mowbray needs to go.

• Like 1

Mowbray's own approach to the club's progression, as explained at various meetings and interviews, is to gradually improve the squad whilst going more towards a possession-based game. So that is what I must judge him on.

After 3 full seasons, we are faced with a total squad rebuild. Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis, Evans (at a push; he is not consistent enough for me), Dack and Armstrong are the players I could see in an automatic promotion team. Downing is one of our best but definitely past his best and should not really be a starter every game. Graham is still our best 'big man' but is at least a season past Championship standard. We need at least 5 quality first-teamers for peanuts. Will it happen? No.

Our play is on the turgid side but, more importantly, does not work with the skill sets of our players in the positions they are played in. Is it therefore the correct set-up? Clearly not.

Let's say we're not signing a new team of quality players. The examples of Burnley, Huddersfield (under Wagner), Norwich, Sheffield Utd and now Leeds show how quickly a great manager can transform mid-table also-rans into world-beaters. Average players were coached to promotion. What happens after that is another matter. Dyche and Wilder have done a better job of renewing the momentum than Wagner or Farke. Do we see Mowbray ever improving Gallagher? Or Williams? Or Buckley? Will be bring the youngsters on this summer? Has he really done anything with Chapman or Brereton to get them going? Travis was forced on him if you remember at a time when we couldn't see past Smallwood. In fact, there is a pattern of promising players having to fight past aging dross. Reed was criticised for not being enough like Smallwood or Evans whilst being 10 times the midfielder of either. Nyambe v Bennett. Raya v Mowbray's constant criticism...

For these and a few other reasons, time to retire him back to his beloved 'Boro in my opinion.

• Like 9

Mowbray "it will be great to have Leeds back in the Premiership, im looking forward to seeing them there"

Piss off Tony. Any manager that comes out with crap like that shouldnt be here.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

In peace .. what's his salary ? I'm sure I read on here at one point it was £2,000 a week + Bonus ?

Can't be right surely ?

This is venkys we are talking about, the manager will be on double what the players are on, give madam a kiss or two and you have a job for life.

Edited by AAK

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

I'm not so sure you can as whether I would pull the trigger if I had magic wish or something of that ilk, would depend on what would happen next. imo the next would be another crap manager from their stable of washed out has beens, so no real.change. in light of that it's hard to think we would get any better off the back of TM going, which is a very scary fact. 

IF we were a normal club - too right he would have gone. Definitely last year and again this year. The guy clearly isn't good enough and I have made no secret of my opinion that at best he is average and a normal club he would have gone several times over. 

Problem is Stuart we aren't a normal club and TM is the best decision they have made. Their decision making combined with the most limited pool of replacements ever makes me very wary about getting rid, even if he is poor. The alternative I think makes poor look decent. 

That’s still your opinion, which is fair enough. That’s different from whether those whose responsibility it is to hold Mowbray to account would actually follow through.

That said it’s hard to know what to make of it. We shouldn’t ask Mowbray to leave because we might get worse (The Bowyer Paradox) yet if he was to walk away we would have to get someone new in anyway

Surely getting a new man in should be something to be proactive about rather than reactive. The problem to date is that we seem to never have a plan so we let one manager go and then “take our time in finding a replacement”. Meanwhile we lose ground on results or we miss opportunities in the transfer market. Then if the caretaker does well he gets the gig for a while.

But that still should not be a reason to continue with a manager who we know isn’t up to the task. It’s pretty standard at every other football club on the land. You hear it all the time “managers love and die by results”.

Except at Ewood.

1 minute ago, AAK said:

Mowbray "it will be great to have Leeds back in the Premiership, im looking forward to seeing them there"

Piss off Tony. Any manager that comes out with crap like that shouldnt be here.

There’s an argument that the FA and EFL should be looking into those comments on the back of such an abject surrender. :unsure:

• Like 2

Going on for 10 years since relegation from the Premier League, and we've never looked like going back. We've never even been in the top 6.

I'm getting older, I don't have many years left and I desperately want to see us back in the top flight before I end up gaga in the care home.

Sadly, I can't see that happening under Mowbray.

Roll the dice again and see if we get lucky. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

When I'm talking RE Howe I'm saying he was an unknown highly ambitious manager beforehand. I could research for an hour and produce a pointless name like many do on this forum. I'm not the decision maker here. I'm just making a statement and opinion that Mowbray needs to go.

You shouldn't be calling posters defeatist then Mr Clitheroe, especially when you've got no answers to the burning question yourself.

We've had 10yrs of decline under the current owners, its not hard to see that we're going nowhere, regardless of whoever the manager is. 

Edited by Gav

Seen plenty of the prominent members of the Rovers fan Twitter-ati all pretty much saying ‘but who possibly could be better?’

It’s Tony bloody Mowbray for god sake! He’s a nice bloke and not a bad manager, certainly better than some of the tripe we’ve seen in recent years, but it’s a good example of how we’ve dumbed down our expectations as fans and seen our club run into the ground if Tone is as good as it gets...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

You shouldn't be calling posters defeatist then Mr Clitheroe, especially when you've got no answers to the burning question yourself.

We've had 10yrs of decline under the current owners, its not hard to see that we're going nowhere, regardless of whoever the manager is. 

This is such a cop out. 

What answers do you, a message board poster, have to our managerial crisis?

How about you pay me £300k a year and give me the money to form a manager search committee. I'll find you a better solution to Mowbray then as it would be part of my job. 

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Seen plenty of the prominent members of the Rovers fan Twitter-ati all pretty much saying ‘but who possibly could be better?’

It’s Tony bloody Mowbray for god sake! He’s a nice bloke and not a bad manager, certainly better than some of the tripe we’ve seen in recent years, but it’s a good example of how we’ve dumbed down our expectations as fans and had our club run into the ground if Tone is as good as it gets...

Most fans are realists, all my mates have had season tickets for over 30yrs,  they feel the same, some want him sacked, some don’t, but we all see what’s taken place over the past 10yrs and form an opinion based on that.

To be positive in the face of adversity is admirable, but it’s actually baseless in terms of the modern day Blackburn Rovers.

I’d love to be proven wrong.

Edited by Gav

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s Tony bloody Mowbray for god sake! He’s a nice bloke and not a bad manager, certainly better than some of the tripe we’ve seen in recent years, but it’s a good example of how we’ve dumbed down our expectations as fans and seen our club run into the ground if Tone is as good as it gets...

So who would Venkys hire who's better , then ? You don't seem to know.

Didn’t realise I was pressing for his removal?

However, the fact that so many think he is as good as it gets proves how much we have been decimated by Venky’s, yet many of the same fans also salute the owners... go figure!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LDRover said:

How many on here even named Mowbray as a potential candidate when Coyle was on his way out? I'd say probably none and if he had been it would have, quite rightly, been ridiculed based on his previous recent record. That's why the retort of who would you choose to replace him is such a weary argument.

Who on this board would have appointed any of Kean, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Coyle, Mowbray on a permanent basis ? I wouldn't. Most of them were completely off the radar as far as I was concerned. I would have appointed Lambert, so I'll stand by that one.

• Like 2