BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or Go - A Poll

Mowbray: Back or Sack  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Forget what Waggott will or won’t do, based on his performance as manager to this point, should Mowbray stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go
    • Don’t care

26 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The people demanding young hungry managers won't like this.

I don’t mind it... it’s another good option. Whenever the time comes to replace Tony Mowbray.  
I also notice on the poll, the % to keep him has gone up the last couple of days. 

Edited by WacoRover

I think i would go for Gareth Ainsworth for what he has achieved at Wycombe on a shoe string budget bringing through lots of kids etc.

If he gets them promoted we may find out just how good he is next season when Wycombe probably take 6 points of us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Poyet was sacked within 9 months at Bordeaux. He was suspended for criticising the club for selling a player. 

In that case he should be given the job immediately. We could do with someone who may stand up to our dimwit owners instead of trotting out the usual propaganda they are instructed to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Other names I would look is Karl Robinson or Lee Bowyer or Gary Rowett or Richard Wellens or Gareth Ainsworth. 

You know my feelings on McCarthy and Hughton already so I wont go over them again. 

You’d have Karl Robinson or Richie Wellens over Mick McCarthy or Chris Hughton.......?

• Like 5

I’d be putting money on some of the following to replace Mowbray, whenever the time comes...

Steve Cooper

Mark Robins

Craig Bellamy

Gary Holt

Tony Pulis

Graham Wesley

Micky Mellon

Dave Challinor

Dean Keats

Tony Philliskirk

Just now, Miller11 said:

I’d be putting money on some of the following to replace Mowbray, whenever the time comes...

Steve Cooper

Mark Robins

Craig Bellamy

Gary Holt

Tony Pulis

Graham Wesley

Micky Mellon

Dave Challinor

Dean Keats

Tony Philliskirk

Where the hell did you drag Tony Philliskirk's name up from. Haven't heard that name in 20 years.

As a matter of interest, how many of Steve Kean, Henning Berg, Mike Appleton, Gary Bowyer, Paul Lambert, Owen Coyle and Tony Mowbray were on anyone’s list of desirable managers for a club with Premiership ambitions at the time they were appointed?

Who is available now is clearly irrelevant to whoever picks our managers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

Mick McCarthy, Chris Hughton, Neil Warnock, Aitor Karanka, Slavisa Jokanovic, Gary Rowett, Alex Neil, Gus Poyet, Jaap Stam and Carlos Carvalhal - all are achievable managers for billionaire ambitious owners and all have strong recent track records in the Championship.

Other options could include Mark Hughes, Tony Pulis, Lee Johnson, Javi Gracia, Daniel Stendel, David Wagner

So there's 16 names I've just come up with whilst having a brew at my desk. The majority I think would relish an upward looking Championship club wanting promotion to the Premier League.

There will be many others abroad and in the lower leagues that I haven't even considered.

Thanks JH, it's an extensive list but I'm sorry, most of the names on it are unsuited either due to being in better existing positions (Farke, Stam, Jokanowicz, Garcia), unlikely to work for Venkys due to personality or wage demands (Hughton, Hughes, Warnock, much like Lambert decided he couldn't), or are no better than Mowbray IMO either in terms of their achievements or the style of football they advocate, or both (Neil, Poyet, Karanka, Pulis, Johnson, Stendel, McCarthy, Carvalhal).

I get the desire to be ambitious, but we're not in 1991 with Jack Walker at the helm. We have to be realistic about who we can get. Sorry Waco, that means Gerrard is off the scale too. 

At the same time, so many names on that list would be frying pan into the fire stuff, and IMO represent change for change's sake but without any wow factor. Yes one or more of them could change things for the better, but it would be a lottery which one amongst them that might be.

As I said in a previous post (possibly on another thread), the only change most people on both sides would get behind is moving TM upstairs and making DJ 1st team manager with his own coaching staff. It would be a move that would promote stability whilst also injecting fresh ideas at 1st team level, and I think most agree the U23s were pleasing to the eye under his guidance, as well as successful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Boycotts have been completely pointless.

Having read Crimpshrine's excellent post and seeing you had quoted it I knew, without seeing your response,  you'd only focus on him boycotting. 

The only input you add to this forum is staunch defence of Mowbray (nothing wrong with that) and criticism of supporters who do not 'support' in your eyes while watching on from afar.

Strange.

31 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Steve Cooper

Mark Robins

Craig Bellamy

Gary Holt

Tony Pulis

Graham Wesley

Micky Mellon

Dave Challinor

Dean Keats

Tony Philliskirk

None of them shout out to me as likely to be better than TM, I don't know about anyone else...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Thanks JH, it's an extensive list but I'm sorry, most of the names on it are unsuited either due to being in better existing positions (Farke, Stam, Jokanowicz, Garcia), unlikely to work for Venkys due to personality or wage demands (Hughton, Hughes, Warnock, much like Lambert decided he couldn't), or are no better than Mowbray IMO either in terms of their achievements or the style of football they advocate, or both (Neil, Poyet, Karanka, Pulis, Johnson, Stendel, McCarthy, Carvalhal).

I get the desire to be ambitious, but we're not in 1991 with Jack Walker at the helm. We have to be realistic about who we can get. Sorry Waco, that means Gerrard is off the scale too. 

At the same time, so many names on that list would be frying pan into the fire stuff, and IMO represent change for change's sake but without any wow factor. Yes one or more of them could change things for the better, but it would be a lottery which one amongst them that might be.

As I said in a previous post (possibly on another thread), the only change most people on both sides would get behind is moving TM upstairs and making DJ 1st team manager with his own coaching staff. It would be a move that would promote stability whilst also injecting fresh ideas at 1st team level, and I think most agree the U23s were pleasing to the eye under his guidance, as well as successful.

No other football club would even consider moving their manager upstairs to director of football and promoting their reserve team manager to the dugout. It is a non starter for countless reasons. Just imagine if Bristol City or Birmingham did the same in the coming weeks. It doesn't work. People continue to hope it does because they think we look better or get rewards for trying it, or that it increases the chances of youth progressing (though actually there's no basis for that)

As I've said many times I'm not sure what relevance Johnson's record with the reserves has to do with anything. If that qualifies him to be manager then why not re appoint Gary Bowyer? He had a good record with the reserves, and has already proven he could step up to the first team. 

You can show ambition without needing to delude ourselves that it is 1991. What is wrong with targeting a proven successful manager and paying him accordingly? Most other clubs do it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, barry_ said:

Your posts seem to favour sticking with the management of the club (even though tactics/results say otherwise). 

Makes me wonder what your interests are. 

It could be said that the Rao family 'roll the dice' every time they've bankrolled mowbray (and they have lost, miserably) 

It's not like mowbray hasn't done some decent things - he has. 

It's just that his time is up and!! now is the time to change. 

In this context my interest is Blackburn Rovers success, pure and simple. But that's within the context of reality; we are in a period of stability after what, 8 years of dross. It's not nirvana of course, but then it never will be whilst Venkys are here so we have to work with what we have.

Yes the last 3 games have been disappointing, yes some of TM's decisions are baffling; wasn't it ever thus in football between fans & managers?  Why does sacking the incumbent always have to be the only route to success?

I'm not saying job for life, or that he ought not to be accountable, of course he should. And I was pretty underwhelmed when he was announced too. But he's done a solid, if unspectacular, job all things considered and I just don't get why so many have the pitchforks out for him as though we couldn't possibly do any worse.

Some people have very short memories.

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 2