BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or Go - A Poll

Mowbray: Back or Sack  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Forget what Waggott will or won’t do, based on his performance as manager to this point, should Mowbray stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go
    • Don’t care

12 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Thanks JH, it's an extensive list but I'm sorry, most of the names on it are unsuited either due to being in better existing positions (Farke, Stam, Jokanowicz, Garcia), unlikely to work for Venkys due to personality or wage demands (Hughton, Hughes, Warnock, much like Lambert decided he couldn't), or are no better than Mowbray IMO either in terms of their achievements or the style of football they advocate, or both (Neil, Poyet, Karanka, Pulis, Johnson, Stendel, McCarthy, Carvalhal).

I get the desire to be ambitious, but we're not in 1991 with Jack Walker at the helm. We have to be realistic about who we can get. Sorry Waco, that means Gerrard is off the scale too. 

At the same time, so many names on that list would be frying pan into the fire stuff, and IMO represent change for change's sake but without any wow factor. Yes one or more of them could change things for the better, but it would be a lottery which one amongst them that might be.

As I said in a previous post (possibly on another thread), the only change most people on both sides would get behind is moving TM upstairs and making DJ 1st team manager with his own coaching staff. It would be a move that would promote stability whilst also injecting fresh ideas at 1st team level, and I think most agree the U23s were pleasing to the eye under his guidance, as well as successful.

Just what has Mowbray to offer as a DOF?

IMO, dinosaurian, no judge of talent and a bloke who's told us he doesn't / can't negotiate with players!

I'm pretty certain any new man would not want Mowbray poking his nose in.  I think he's had his chance and blown it.  Three and a half years down the line and we are barely better than when he took over.  Last three performances, one could be forgiven Kean / Coyle were back in town.  Whoever succeeds Mowbray has, IMO, one helluva job on their hands owing to, IMO, Mowbray's incompetence not least demonstrated by the Brereton / Gallagher / Raya / Walton shambles.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

As I said in a previous post (possibly on another thread), the only change most people on both sides would get behind is moving TM upstairs and making DJ 1st team manager with his own coaching staff. It would be a move that would promote stability whilst also injecting fresh ideas at 1st team level, and I think most agree the U23s were pleasing to the eye under his guidance, as well as successful.

This is the sort of charity attitude that Mowbray has created at the club and sadly it was been lapped up by the happy clappers. This proposal is possibly even less appealing than Mowbray staying on as manager for next season. Why on earth would we move upstairs a manager who has constantly failed in the transfer market and given out ridiculous contracts. Also if we can't attract a better manager than someone who has never managed a club before then we'd just as well give up. 

9 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Pulis in an infinitely superior manager to Mowbray.

He did well at Stoke for a while granted, but grew stale and his footballing philosophy is dire. You remember the Delap long throws, right?  At times they were effective yes, but if winning like that counts as "infinitely superior management", you can keep it thanks.

Furthermore  he underachieved massively at Boro, and I think is a busted flush.

8 pages of pointless back and forth. ‘He should go’ ‘he should stay’. ‘He’d be good’ ‘he’s no better’ ‘wouldn’t come’ and on and on. (I’ve posted too much on this thread myself).

Why bother wasting the energy? He’s one of the most powerful people in the club. His ‘boss’ doesn’t make decisions on managers. He has obviously ingratiated himself with the owners in their yearly get together, owners that are completely disconnected from the club, so as long as we plod along he won’t be going anywhere.

Completely unhealthy way to run a football club, as proven each season with the one and only (and late) meeting a year to sign off everything from transfers to season tickets, a meeting that always has us behind the curve, but it’s been a decade now and it ain’t going to change.

We’ve just got to hope against hope that a manager, who to me, has got to that stale stage where the players are just no longer listening, stumbles across a winning formula as there won’t be anyone else coming through the door.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

No other football club would even consider moving their manager upstairs to director of football and promoting their reserve team manager to the dugout. It is a non starter for countless reasons. Just imagine if Bristol City or Birmingham did the same in the coming weeks. It doesn't work. People continue to hope it does because they think we look better or get rewards for trying it, or that it increases the chances of youth progressing (though actually there's no basis for that)

As I've said many times I'm not sure what relevance Johnson's record with the reserves has to do with anything. If that qualifies him to be manager then why not re appoint Gary Bowyer? He had a good record with the reserves, and has already proven he could step up to the first team. 

You can show ambition without needing to delude ourselves that it is 1991. What is wrong with targeting a proven successful manager and paying him accordingly? Most other clubs do it.

We're not "most other clubs" though are we? We have unique problems with basketcase owners who lack footballing pride, ambition and nouse,  and whose prime concern now is navigating the pandemic. We're low down on their priorities, always have been, now even more so. 

I'm afraid it literally is a case of better the devil you know, stability over likely chaos.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

We're not "most other clubs" though are we? We have unique problems with basketcase owners who lack footballing pride, ambition and nouse,  and whose prime concern now is navigating the pandemic. We're low down on their priorities, always have been, now even more so. 

I'm afraid it literally is a case of better the devil you know, stability over likely chaos.

Translation : Fewer and fewer fans in the ground watching boring rubbish and an inevitable, gradual decline.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Expect to be shot down by the hippy clippers.

15 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

He did well at Stoke for a while granted, but grew stale and his footballing philosophy is dire. You remember the Delap long throws, right?  At times they were effective yes, but if winning like that counts as "infinitely superior management", you can keep it thanks.

He also did well at Crystal Palace and West Brom. Winning is all that matters in football, I'd rather play Pulis' football and get promoted than play whatever it is that Mowbray is trying and finish mid table. To be honest I enjoyed watching his Stoke team.

What makes Pulis an infinitely superior manager to Mowbray is that he has managed 9 seasons in the Premiership  and never finished lower than 14th. Meanwhile Mowbray (who for most of that time was bouncing between around mid table of the Championship and in League 1) has managed 1 season in the Premiership where he finished bottom.

It just shows how strong the cult of Mowbray is that it even a debate over whether Pulis' is an infinitely superior manager to him or not.

Edited by Ewood Ace

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He also did well at Crystal Palace and West Brom. Winning is all that matters in football, I'd rather play Pulis' football and get promoted than play whatever it is that Mowbray is trying and finish mid table. To be honest I enjoyed watching his Stoke team.

What makes Pulis an infinitely superior manager to Mowbray is that he has managed 9 seasons in the Premiership  and never finished lower than 14th. Meanwhile Mowbray (who for most of that time was bouncing between around mid table of the Championship and in League 1) has managed 1 season in the Premiership where he finished bottom.

It just shows how strong the cult of Mowbray is that it even a debate over whether Pulis' is an infinitely superior manager to him or not.

Pulis commented he's not yet coming in to soccer

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Manager of Dingles U18s, and represented by HSH

Isn’t the manager of our U18s a SEM client? Sheron, presumably no relation... Smallwood, who has apparently recently had a short contract extension is also a SEM man.

I’m curious where you’ve got your HSH info, I can’t find any record of them. There‘s a spurious domain which currently doesn’t have a landing page but nothing else.

30 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

8 pages of pointless back and forth. ‘He should go’ ‘he should stay’. ‘He’d be good’ ‘he’s no better’ ‘wouldn’t come’ and on and on. (I’ve posted too much on this thread myself).

Why bother wasting the energy? He’s one of the most powerful people in the club. His ‘boss’ doesn’t make decisions on managers. He has obviously ingratiated himself with the owners in their yearly get together, owners that are completely disconnected from the club, so as long as we plod along he won’t be going anywhere.

Completely unhealthy way to run a football club, as proven each season with the one and only (and late) meeting a year to sign off everything from transfers to season tickets, a meeting that always has us behind the curve, but it’s been a decade now and it ain’t going to change.

We’ve just got to hope against hope that a manager, who to me, has got to that stale stage where the players are just no longer listening, stumbles across a winning formula as there won’t be anyone else coming through the door.

It’s also quite funny that of the few people currently saying stick, not a single one of them would have put Mowbray’s name forward to replace Coyle. In fact, anyone who had done so would have been laughed off the site. By them!

Apparently being sacked in the past is also a bad sign, never mind walking after no wins in 10 games. If it happened now at Rovers, those six draws would be pointed as as showing we are hard to beat!

The contradictions are palpable.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Yep, we don't want to end up with someone on the managerial scrapheap who had to walk out of his previous job at a League 1 Club before he was pushed after a run of ten games without a win.

Oooo errrr........ hang on!

? 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Unfortunately you've hit the nail on the head TM is Teflon Tony

59 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

No-one seemed to mind when MGP was hurling in long throws under Allardyce.

I agree Pulis's best days as a Coach are probably behind him. Like Mowbray if indeed he ever really had any. However without looking it up I'd wager Pulis's record stacks up pretty well compared to Mowbray's.

20 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s also quite funny that of the few people currently saying stick, not a single one of them would have put Mowbray’s name forward to replace Coyle. In fact, anyone who had done so would have been laughed off the site. By them!

Apparently being sacked in the past is also a bad sign, never mind walking after no wins in 10 games. If it happened now at Rovers, those six draws would be pointed as as showing we are hard to beat!

The contradictions are palpable.

I've admitted I was underwhelmed when TM was announced, but overall since the day he arrived he's done more good than bad IMO and I've been pleasantly surprised, without being put on the edge of my seat or being part of a cult. 

This club needs stability right now, in these most uncertain of times. 

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I agree Pulis's best days as a Coach are probably behind him. Like Mowbray if indeed he ever really had any. However without looking it up I'd wager Pulis's record stacks up pretty well compared to Mowbray's.

I probably did to be honest :P

His set pieces were legendary outside of Blackburn, but for anyone who watched him week in week out the frustration at hitting the first man from a corner, or smashing free kicks into the stand was palpable. 

As for Pulis, his best days are behind him, Stoke should never have got rid, we don't want him here.

• Like 1

Just now, Atko's Engine said:

This club needs stability right now, in these most uncertain of times. 

I'd say the club needs promotion in these uncertain times. As we have seen before stability eventually results in going backwards and in the end in relegation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Pulis is far more anti-football than Allardyce ever was. And MGP had a lot more about him than did Rory Delap.

Yes his past record may eclipse Mowbray's, but you also accept his best days are behind him. That doesn't bode well for our next appointment.

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Isn’t the manager of our U18s a SEM client? Sheron, presumably no relation... Smallwood, who has apparently recently had a short contract extension is also a SEM man.

I’m curious where you’ve got your HSH info, I can’t find any record of them. There‘s a spurious domain which currently doesn’t have a landing page but nothing else.

It’s been tricky to be honest. Lots of digging in lots of different places! 

Their Twitter account will give you an insight into the players and managers on their books... I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we brought in Marcus Forss as our obligatory striker this summer.

There is a really worrying thread running through all our recent managers (Appleton aside)

Kean - we all know about that

Berg - Rune Hauge (the one who get banned for the dodgy dealings with George Graham involving John Jensen... another SEM man who was foisted on us. Hauge and Jerome were also both involved in the John Obi Mikel controversy)

Appleton - Oporto Sports

Bowyer - HSH

Lambert - HSH

Coyle - HSH

Mowbray - HSH

Below is HSH’s companies house listing...

Plenty of crossover with SEM. Several familiar names on the SEM filing history. HSH were incorporated around 6 months after Jerome resigned as an SEM director. 

Little more than a rebranding?

0B8736C5-80E9-472D-91D4-E7A4B470AE3A.png

EF4BC091-20CA-4237-8FE3-B9108598AB10.png

• Like 1

Just now, Gav said:

As for Pulis, his best days are behind him, Stoke should never have got rid, we don't want him here.

Amazing that people can back Mowbray and turn their nose up at someone like Pulis who did good jobs and Palace, Stoke and West Brom all in the Premiership. Even if his best days are behind him so are Mowbrays the difference is that Pulis' best days were spent in the mid table of the Premiership. Whereas Mowbray's were spent in the mid table of the Championship or being one of Celtic's worst ever managers.

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Amazing that people can back Mowbray and turn their nose up at someone like Pulis who did good jobs and Palace, Stoke and West Brom all in the Premiership. Even if his best days are behind him so are Mowbrays the difference is that Pulis' best days were spent in the mid table of the Premiership. Whereas Mowbray's were spent in the mid table of the Championship or being one of Celtic's worst ever managers.

Pulis has today ruled out coming back in to soccer.