BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or Go - A Poll

Mowbray: Back or Sack  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Forget what Waggott will or won’t do, based on his performance as manager to this point, should Mowbray stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go
    • Don’t care

13 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

History suggests that when the owners stop communicating with the manager the manager is on borrowed time and starved of funds. Circumstances would suggest we are nearing the end of mowbrays tenure not like owners to have the longest serving manager in the division

If we look at the pattern of the Bowyer era and compare to Mowbray it is almost identical.

The only difference really is that Mowbray had to bring us up from League One whereas Bowyer rebuilt from the Championship.

Either way both got on swimmingly well with the owners, including regular India trips, reasonable financial backing and saw positive progress for a couple of years.

Then at the end of Bowyer's 2nd full season the phone went dead, the money stopped and his demeanour changed, and he was gone before the end of the year.

It all sounds eerily familiar to me especially when I listen and observe Mowbray. Patterns emerge. 

I've no doubt Mowbray told them last summer that he was confident in reaching the playoffs after their significant outlay and to fall short may not go down well with them

Of course in a normal world the solution is to replace the manager and back the new one but here it is to just refuse to pick up the phone and leave everyone in limbo.

They clearly think a lot of themselves so telling Mowbray that there isn't any money or that we have to sell an asset to cover it whilst reality probably hurts the ego of the billionaires to whom no cheque is too much. 

This latest one may be Covid 19 provoked but the end result is.harm to the club at a time when in theory we should be perfectly poised to kick on next season with astute additions. Let's see what Bristol City do but I bet they won't cut corners.

They are mental, but I do worry about what comes next. All self inflicted.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Gav said:

Dack is a very good player, sorely missed, no doubt about that.

But the players around him need to be improved, significantly, we have 3 quality players, the rest are absolute dross.

Over to you Tony, you have 10 games to prove people wrong.

Don't understand you Gav.

The fact we have so little quality and "the rest are absolute dross" is down to one man only, Mowbray.

He shouldn't even be in charge tonight never mind given 10 games next season 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Read Mowbray's comments today and weep.

I think we are back in late Bowyer/Paul Lambert territory with a wall of silence from India, no communication and likely no budget.

Mowbray isn't completely daft and will know what to expect. His comments are to me of a man who is preparing the fanbase for an unpleasant summer with little to no money.

I spent all last summer complaining about using the loan market to fill crucial positions like GK and CB. I was worried back then that we would face this situation yet many told me I was overreacting and there was nothing wrong with using loans if it saved us money.

Well here we are. The spine of the team set to depart, a manager who is a failure in the transfer market and owners who are back to not communicating.

IMO, if the Venky's are p1ssed off with Mowbray and they thought there was still a future with their Rovers venture, Mowbray would be axed and replaced.

You refer to "a wall of silence from India, no communication and likely no budget".  

IMO, given the above, the alarms bells should be ringing - are Venky's about to call time on Rovers having seen almost £200million disappear down the toilet!? 

Edited by Mercer

26 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Don't understand you Gav.

The fact we have so little quality and "the rest are absolute dross" is down to one man only, Mowbray.

He shouldn't even be in charge tonight never mind given 10 games next season 

The league is full of dross Mercer, the top 2/3 sides in the league have quality, the rest are bang average, but that doesn’t mean that all the managers are cr@p.

I like the small shoots of recovery made under Mowbray, structure in the background, we’ve actually got a European scouting network back!

Small things I know, but they all add up when you’re a basket case of a club with unstable owners.

• Like 2

Hope the Scouts have been told to look into a new Manager .. Better then any new signing imho ... 

The fact that he wants to sort out contracts for the people who should be released this year says it all .. He’s got his favourites and giving them a few quid as he puts doesn’t bother him .... 

Go and open a charity in Middlesboro Not at BRFC ...Hope Venkys giving him the silent treatment is a sign .... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

IMO, if the Venky's are p1ssed off with Mowbray and they thought there was still a future with their Rovers venture, Mowbray would be axed and replaced.

You refer to "a wall of silence from India, no communication and likely no budget".  

IMO, given the above, the alarms bells should be ringing - are Venky's about to call time on Rovers having seen almost £200million disappear down the toilet!? 

People have been speculating the same since relegation in 2012.

The answer to that will be no, it will just be another reset like the summer of 2015.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's " Jack And The Beanstalk " all over again. We sold our cow and got a handful of beans in exchange !

The beanstalk has now taken root in the right side of the field but desperately needs transplanting in order to produce a yield.

The farmer is lost in the woods though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It is like the Mowbray benevolent fund for stray footballers at times.

They've nursed Gladwin through 2 years of wages then an extra 6 months whilst he got himself ready to walk into MK Dons first team.

We've nursed Samuel who's goal return is that of a full back virtually into a new contract so he can pick up where he left off as one of Tonys hopeless projects.

We've let Mulgrew and Wigan have a look at each other then come back here to sit on the nice comfy bench resting his old legs until something lucrative and appealing comes along.

Then there's Smallwood who's had footballers wages for 12 months whilst probably learning to be a bibs and cones man in the back ground, Then unbelievably he gets a little extension to do naff all for an extra month except keep his name in the frame for a new deal.

Then there's Chapman who nobody else would have given a proper contract to given his injury issues. A player who he won't touch with a barge pole now.

God knows what else is going on but all this is money down the toilet then when it comes to stretching the wages for a fresh keeper there'll be nothing.

The piss is being taken again would he get away with this type of stuff at his beloved Boro with Gibsons hard earned ?

Then there's Sam Hart, another mysterious signing.

• Like 1

@Tyrone Shoelaces   yep. Can understand them getting cheap young players in to have a look at and maybe giving them a contract then loaning them out. However when you keep them around, give them new deals when it becomes clear you don't intend to use them at all, even in a mini crisis it's a bit odd to say the least.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, unleaded said:

Hope the Scouts have been told to look into a new Manager .. Better then any new signing imho ... 

The fact that he wants to sort out contracts for the people who should be released this year says it all .. He’s got his favourites and giving them a few quid as he puts doesn’t bother him .... 

Go and open a charity in Middlesboro Not at BRFC ...Hope Venkys giving him the silent treatment is a sign .... 

Amen to that.

16 hours ago, tomphil said:

@Tyrone Shoelaces   yep. Can understand them getting cheap young players in to have a look at and maybe giving them a contract then loaning them out. However when you keep them around, give them new deals when it becomes clear you don't intend to use them at all, even in a mini crisis it's a bit odd to say the least.

Suspiciously odd.

Edited by 47er
sp
  • Like 1

The 'must win' attitude deserts them all too often in favour of you win some you lose some shoulder shrugging.

Every game since lockdown should have had the 'must win' mentality that's how you get to were you want to be or at least have a good go and leave everything out there. I'm sure that that kind of approach and effort in the previous 3 would have yielded another few points, we know we can't win them all but there's no reason at all why they couldn't just go for it.

Setting up to accommodate players, to rotate and keep everybody involved and keep the experiment of so called transition to possession based game at that stage of the season - NO

In your face front foot fight tooth and nail football - yes, as last night showed.

• Like 2

If we play last nights starting 11 ,we would win more games. Mowbray has tried/needed to shoehorn Gallagher(in particular) and Brereton in because of their fees, but Graham is our best bet and he looks fit. More what it's. Even 2 draws against Barnsley and Wigan would have been decent now, let alone 6 points. It's never straight forward. 

The should he stay or go is a pointless conversation for 2 reasons, firstly it will only happen if he decides to leave and secondly, it's Venkys, so I couldn't just say "ya,get rid" without knowing who they would be planning on replacing him with. As we have seen, things can turn real bad, real quick. The wrong appointment and we could end up in real trouble. I couldn't see us going down under Mowbray. Don't @ me trying to be clever saying that we did already. That was over 12 games, with a worse squad. Now if we could appoint someone exciting I would be interested. 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we play last nights starting 11 ,we would win more games. Mowbray has tried/needed to shoehorn Gallagher(in particular) and Brereton in because of their fees, but Graham is our best bet and he looks fit. More what it's. Even 2 draws against Barnsley and Wigan would have been decent now, let alone 6 points. It's never straight forward. 

The should he stay or go is a pointless conversation for 2 reasons, firstly it will only happen if he decides to leave and secondly, it's Venkys, so I couldn't just say "ya,get rid" without knowing who they would be planning on replacing him with. As we have seen, things can turn real bad, real quick. The wrong appointment and we could end up in real trouble. I couldn't see us going down under Mowbray. Don't @ me trying to be clever saying that we did already. That was over 12 games, with a worse squad. Now if we could appoint someone exciting I would be interested. 

I think if the squad loses any of its key players without strengthening we could be in trouble next season. It's imperative we don't lose anybody we don't want to lose.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think if the squad loses any of its key players without strengthening we could be in trouble next season. It's imperative we don't lose anybody we don't want to lose.

Ya, 100%. As always, the power is with the owners and nobody seems to know what they are thinking. 

If we manage to hold onto our key players, we could be in a better position than many clubs. I think the end of this season is going to be a bloodbath for some clubs. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, 100%. As always, the power is with the owners and nobody seems to know what they are thinking. 

If we manage to hold onto our key players, we could be in a better position than many clubs. I think the end of this season is going to be a bloodbath for some clubs. 

I agree with that. Money for most clubs outside the Prem is going to be extremely tight. Some will almost certainly have to go into administration.

Most folk are seemingly expecting a close season like every other in this league.

Surely it won’t be? For a start it will presumably be shorter and who will be forking out big fees and offering multi year contracts for Championship players?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Most folk are seemingly expecting a close season like every other in this league.

Surely it won’t be? For a start it will presumably be shorter and who will be forking out big fees and offering multi year contracts for Championship players?

Yes - this is what I have been wondering as well. E.g. when I heard that Downing at 36 would be looking for £20k a week (and I know this is just speculation) I thought to myself "Who on earth is going to pay that in this climate?"

22 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Let’s see what happens with this ‘European scouting network’, two years they’ve been banging on about it and we must still have the most British and Irish squad in the league...

All I hope is that the European Scouts aren't the same, or of the same ilk as the English scouring ones. After all these scouts have told us Bereton and Gally were worth buying and Walton is a keeper. If we're using the same quality of scouts the only difference will be that we will be disappointed by a variety of nationalities...

• Like 3