Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stuart

Mowbray: Stay or Go - A Poll

Mowbray: Back or Sack  

212 members have voted

  1. 1. Forget what Waggott will or won’t do, based on his performance as manager to this point, should Mowbray stay or go?

    • Stay
      49
    • Go
      144
    • Don’t care
      19


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Warnock is like Coldplay, good until recently but gone now -sorry.

Coldplay have never been good, that’s how I know you’re on the wind up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JHRover said:

No other football club would even consider moving their manager upstairs to director of football and promoting their reserve team manager to the dugout. It is a non starter for countless reasons. Just imagine if Bristol City or Birmingham did the same in the coming weeks. It doesn't work. People continue to hope it does because they think we look better or get rewards for trying it, or that it increases the chances of youth progressing (though actually there's no basis for that)

As I've said many times I'm not sure what relevance Johnson's record with the reserves has to do with anything. If that qualifies him to be manager then why not re appoint Gary Bowyer? He had a good record with the reserves, and has already proven he could step up to the first team. 

You can show ambition without needing to delude ourselves that it is 1991. What is wrong with targeting a proven successful manager and paying him accordingly? Most other clubs do it.

 

Johnson is the 1st team coach at Rovers now. Not reserve team manager. 

Lets see who Birmingham and Bristol City appoint? Robbie Fowler is the bookies favourite for the Birmingham City job. 

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

He also did well at Crystal Palace and West Brom. Winning is all that matters in football, I'd rather play Pulis' football and get promoted than play whatever it is that Mowbray is trying and finish mid table. To be honest I enjoyed watching his Stoke team.

What makes Pulis an infinitely superior manager to Mowbray is that he has managed 9 seasons in the Premiership  and never finished lower than 14th. Meanwhile Mowbray (who for most of that time was bouncing between around mid table of the Championship and in League 1) has managed 1 season in the Premiership where he finished bottom.

It just shows how strong the cult of Mowbray is that it even a debate over whether Pulis' is an infinitely superior manager to him or not.

Pulis's football has short life for fans as it gets very boring watching it. Thats why his time Boro was only 18 months long cos fans got fed up with it

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Isn’t the manager of our U18s a SEM client? Sheron, presumably no relation... Smallwood, who has apparently recently had a short contract extension is also a SEM man.

I’m curious where you’ve got your HSH info, I can’t find any record of them. There‘s a spurious domain which currently doesn’t have a landing page but nothing else.

 

plenty of info on companies house website and you can see different companies where they have been director of different businesses. Its free aswell

Also check their website when it has finish for maintenance 

SEM isnt a company anymore. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04155991/filing-history 2017 last time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

So Mowbray is the best manager we can ever hope for? And midtable championship is the height of our ambition?

Get those season tickets on sale quick!

Anyway, it barely matters. It appears Mowbray is yet another client from the ex-SEM stable and we are all being played for fools.

Very much falling out of love with football at this point.

Look, if we had avoided Dack's injury, or Cunningham's, who knows? We had a very competitive 14 but to lose 2 from it for such large parts of the season killed us. Despite that and despite misfiring forwards, we were still in the hunt until last week. A couple more timely goals and we still would be.

It's fine margins. Take Phillips out of Leeds, Mitrovic out of Fulham, or Grabban from Forest, and they're struggling for top 6, no question.

So is Mowbray actually that bad compared to his competitors? No, he isn't. Give him this short close season, get Dack back, let him finish what he's started re overseas recruitment, bring through another couple of Under 23s, & maybe even find a nugget like Dack or Armstrong & go again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Gav said:

Warnock can deliver the good on a shoe string, great appointment for Boro, pity Cheston and Co fooked it up.

is Warnock staying there after this season?

24 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

What about , Warnock keeping Boro up and then retires ...

Then ah presto Mowbray becomes manager at the start of next season ???

Anything is plausible in football..

 

why would Mowbray go to Boro after Gibson sacked him previously? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

Coldplay have never been good, that’s how I know you’re on the wind up!

With respect, being in the minority is not "on the wind up" - and I do like Coldplay, believe it or not. For Warnock I was sad when he went back on his previous statements re retirement - I think he is seriously risking his reputation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we brought in Marcus Forss as our obligatory striker this summer.

why do you think this? Supposedly under contract for 3 more years at Brentford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pulis has said today that he isn't ready to return to football any time soon. 

Pulis's style of of football is negative and boring. Sacked by WBA, Palace and Stoke. Palace sacked him 48 hours behind the start of the season didn't they in 2014? Boro fans got fed up with his moaning very quickly. 

He wouldn't be the first manager to play down getting back into management and then a few weeks later take a job would he. He's a football man all it would take is an enticing offer.

And what is Mowbray's style of play exactly? It certainly doesn't excite me and I used to quite like watching Pulis' Stoke team. But at the end of the day its not style of play that worries me its results.

He was sacked at Stoke after taking them from mid table in the Championship to an established Premier League side that in his 5 seasons there managing in the Premier League never finished below 14th. If he did that for us I would be quite content. Mowbray who's West Brom team were promoted along with Stoke lasted one season in the League finishing bottom. 

He wasn't sacked by Palace he resigned. And in the 6 months he was manager there he took them from 19th to 11th.

As for West Brom perhaps they should have kept him as they were not in relegation when they sacked him but ended up finishing bottom. And the season before he got them a top half finish

It is strange you point out that Pulis has been sacked by West Brom and Stoke who he had as two mid table premier league clubs. Yet you think that Mowbray is the man to lead us forward a man who finished bottom in his only premier league season, who is one of Celtic's worst ever managers and who left Coventry bottom of League 1 prior to coming here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Look, if we had avoided Dack's injury, or Cunningham's, who knows? We had a very competitive 14 but to lose 2 from it for such large parts of the season killed us. Despite that and despite misfiring forwards, we were still in the hunt until last week. A couple more timely goals and we still would be.

It's fine margins. Take Phillips out of Leeds, Mitrovic out of Fulham, or Grabban from Forest, and they're struggling for top 6, no question.

So is Mowbray actually that bad compared to his competitors? No, he isn't. Give him this short close season, get Dack back, let him finish what he's started re overseas recruitment, bring through another couple of Under 23s, & maybe even find a nugget like Dack or Armstrong & go again.

Not for me. He’s had long enough and hasn’t fixed glaring problems, and had spent his budget very badly, resulting in our current problems. Why should that be rewarded?

If Dack hadn’t got injured, he’d have been sold and the money gone. He’s made his bed and there is nothing about his approach that says he should be given more time or more money.

It’s all well and good saying fine margins but this is Tony’s team - after four windows - and it still needs a major overhaul. Instead, he will stick with Gally and Brereton as wide men because he is just that stubborn. Enough’s enough. Just think if someone like Warnock had been given £15m - including his own wages for two seasons. We’d be challenging for promotion right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

So is Mowbray actually that bad compared to his competitors? No, he isn't. Give him this short close season, get Dack back, let him finish what he's started re overseas recruitment, bring through another couple of Under 23s, & maybe even find a nugget like Dack or Armstrong & go again.

Come off it, how likely is that? 

He hasn't made a really good permanent signing since we were promoted to the Championship other than Armstrong and that was nigh on 2 years ago and he'd been here already on loan.

He'd be far more likely to lumber us with another Walton or Gallagher or bring in another Brereton, Chapman or Davenport who he then hardly ever selects.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He wouldn't be the first manager to play down getting back into management and then a few weeks later take a job would he. He's a football man all it would take is an enticing offer.

And what is Mowbray's style of play exactly? It certainly doesn't excite me and I used to quite like watching Pulis' Stoke team. But at the end of the day its not style of play that worries me its results.

He was sacked at Stoke after taking them from mid table in the Championship to an established Premier League side that in his 5 seasons there managing in the Premier League never finished below 14th. If he did that for us I would be quite content. Mowbray who's West Brom team were promoted along with Stoke lasted one season in the League finishing bottom. 

He wasn't sacked by Palace he resigned. And in the 6 months he was manager there he took them from 19th to 11th.

As for West Brom perhaps they should have kept him as they were not in relegation when they sacked him but ended up finishing bottom. And the season before he got them a top half finish

It is strange you point out that Pulis has been sacked by West Brom and Stoke who he had as two mid table premier league clubs. Yet you think that Mowbray is the man to lead us forward a man who finished bottom in his only premier league season, who is one of Celtic's worst ever managers and who left Coventry bottom of League 1 prior to coming here.

I've just done a quick straw poll of 3 workmates, 1 Utd, 1 City, one Everton with leanings towards Bristol City. They all agree Pulis is a busted flush, was always awful to watch and can't even get results anymore.

All agreed they'd rather have TM, who at least tries to play football (their assessment, not mine).

Not definitive I know, but it seems there is a debate to be had about TM v TP.

Furthermore, I think it shows how much fans can under appreciate a manager who is actually doing a solid job. Another workmate who supports Leeds said we were v competitive on Saturday from his perspective, certainly until their 3rd goal, and were just unlucky & less clinical than Leeds were.

TM is doing a good job in most peoples' eyes in the wider footballing world, in the face of no small amount of adversity, albeit whilst not pulling up trees; I often think fans are perhaps understandably over critical of their beloved club to be able to be a bit more objective and see the bigger picture, preferring instead to focus intensely on the areas of desired improvement and gloss over the successes almost as though they're an irrelevance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Look, if we had avoided Dack's injury, or Cunningham's, who knows? We had a very competitive 14 but to lose 2 from it for such large parts of the season killed us. Despite that and despite misfiring forwards, we were still in the hunt until last week. A couple more timely goals and we still would be. 

All the more reason that £12m should've been better invested, eh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Not definitive I know, but it seems there is a debate to be had about TM v TP.

How is it debatable over who is the better manager. One has had 9 seasons in the Premiership and never finished below 14th. The other has one season in the Premier League and finished bottom. And in his other big job at Celtic was sacked after a matter of months and is regarded as one of their worst managers ever. It's all about levels and as a manager Pulis is comfortably at least level above Mowbray.

Edited by Ewood Ace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Expect to be shot down by the hippy clippers.

I think I'm giving as good as I'm getting, and am enjoying a healthy debate tbh! I'm getting dodgy looks of disapproval from my wife though...

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion per se, just explain my own. Who knows who will be right??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amo said:

All the more reason that £12m should've been better invested, eh? 

Fair enough, I too wish they'd both come good, or even just one of them. To be fair they may still, bit no-one should hold their breath.

But still, it's because TM found Dack that BB & Gally are being compared (unfavourably) with him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I've just done a quick straw poll of 3 workmates, 1 Utd, 1 City, one Everton with leanings towards Bristol City. They all agree Pulis is a busted flush, was always awful to watch and can't even get results anymore.

All agreed they'd rather have TM, who at least tries to play football (their assessment, not mine).

Not definitive I know, but it seems there is a debate to be had about TM v TP.

Furthermore, I think it shows how much fans can under appreciate a manager who is actually doing a solid job. Another workmate who supports Leeds said we were v competitive on Saturday from his perspective, certainly until their 3rd goal, and were just unlucky & less clinical than Leeds were.

TM is doing a good job in most peoples' eyes in the wider footballing world, in the face of no small amount of adversity, albeit whilst not pulling up trees; I often think fans are perhaps understandably over critical of their beloved club to be able to be a bit more objective and see the bigger picture, preferring instead to focus intensely on the areas of desired improvement and gloss over the successes almost as though they're an irrelevance.

 

Point taken but all fans of other Clubs see is your League position, they don't really know what's going on at someone else's Club. I could give my opinion on United, City and Everton but it probably wouldn't be as valid as someone who follows them closely as they have a much better feel about what's really going on.

Where are we in comparison to the end of last season? I'd say we were going backwards, the only differences being that old players have got  even older, we now have no keeper and we have a second expensive liability on the books in the form of Gallagher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Atko's Engine said:

But still, it's because TM found Dack that BB & Gally are being compared (unfavourably) with him...

You brought Dack into this. Gally and Brereton have both been major flops by any yardstick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He wouldn't be the first manager to play down getting back into management and then a few weeks later take a job would he. He's a football man all it would take is an enticing offer.

And what is Mowbray's style of play exactly? It certainly doesn't excite me and I used to quite like watching Pulis' Stoke team. But at the end of the day its not style of play that worries me its results.

He was sacked at Stoke after taking them from mid table in the Championship to an established Premier League side that in his 5 seasons there managing in the Premier League never finished below 14th. If he did that for us I would be quite content. Mowbray who's West Brom team were promoted along with Stoke lasted one season in the League finishing bottom. 

He wasn't sacked by Palace he resigned. And in the 6 months he was manager there he took them from 19th to 11th.

As for West Brom perhaps they should have kept him as they were not in relegation when they sacked him but ended up finishing bottom. And the season before he got them a top half finish

It is strange you point out that Pulis has been sacked by West Brom and Stoke who he had as two mid table premier league clubs. Yet you think that Mowbray is the man to lead us forward a man who finished bottom in his only premier league season, who is one of Celtic's worst ever managers and who left Coventry bottom of League 1 prior to coming here.

Well we don;t know why Pulis isn't ready for a return to Football. 

You used to enjoyed watching Stoke play under Pulis? :rolleyes: 

Sacked by Stoke cos they wanted to play more attractive football which they got under Mark Hughes for couple of seasons. He left Palace by mutant Consent. Here the reasons why. Article by the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/14/tony-pulis-crystal-palace-leaves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

I've admitted I was underwhelmed when TM was announced, but overall since the day he arrived he's done more good than bad IMO and I've been pleasantly surprised, without being put on the edge of my seat or being part of a cult. 

This club needs stability right now, in these most uncertain of times. 

Stability equals inertia at best.  

IMO, It reeks of an ambitionless regime seeking self preservation.

Phil Neal used to bang on about stability at Bolton - I think it's a con, a cover up for incompetence and the inability to move things forward and achieve bigger and better things.

What the club needs right now is a manager with real ambition, drive and a can do attitude.  Enough of this, IMO, 'slow, slow build and moving in the direction' - it's total cr@p.

Edited by Mercer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But Dack has to be part of a balanced debate about the merits of TM's time here doesn't he? He's still a success and a player we all think befits a promotion-challenging team, even if Gally & Brereton have come since and (so far) flopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He left Palace by mutant Consent. Here the reasons why. Article by the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/14/tony-pulis-crystal-palace-leaves

He resigned. In Steve Parrish's own words regarding Pulis. 'It came to a point where he felt he didn’t want to carry on...so reluctantly I agreed to let him out of his contract.' 

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/steve-parish-on-tony-pulis-resignation-i-agreed-to-let-him-out-of-his-contract-1.634452

Edited by Ewood Ace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Stability equals inertia at best.  

It can, but more properly it ought to be the foundations on which to build success.

Now is that likely under Venkys? Perhaps not, but this last 3 years is the closest we've come to being something like a normal club since they arrived & should not be thrown away just because the grass might be greener on the other side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Not definitive I know, but it seems there is a debate to be had about TM v TP.

Well, there would be if Pulis was the only manager we could possibly choose from if Mowbray ever left but as he isn't I can't see it's particularly relevant!

🙂

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

But Dack has to be part of a balanced debate about the merits of TM's time here doesn't he? He's still a success and a player we all think befits a promotion-challenging team, even if Gally & Brereton have come since and (so far) flopped.

Plus Armstrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tom said:

I’ve not voted but it’s a sad indictment that if I was to vote at this point it’s most likely to be ‘don’t care’

I like Tony as a man he seems a decent bloke but his presence on the sidelines is drab, he’s not a man that will make people run through walls.

Something goes wrong on the pitch and his default reaction is to bury his head into his hands, it’s infectious for all the wrong reasons.

Im sure we’ll string together another couple of good results the last few games and then waste the summer missing out on players 

Expect then we’ll have a season of lower mid table a short good run followed by longer windless runs throughout the season.

Its all a grind!

He promised exciting football. He said the fans would be on the edge of their seats!

I presume he wasn't referring to an eagerness to get out before the end of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

But Dack has to be part of a balanced debate about the merits of TM's time here doesn't he? He's still a success and a player we all think befits a promotion-challenging team, even if Gally & Brereton have come since and (so far) flopped.

Yes Dack was an outstandingly good signing but nothing excuses Brereton and nothing excuses playing Gallagher on he wing over and over again when everyone can see it doesn't work. Nothing excuses the goal-keeping situation. Nothing excuses the failure to sort out the defence and to depend on loans for key positions.

Everyone will accept what you say about Dack but so much else has gone wrong.

Massive rebuilding job needed at Ewood in the summer, no confidence Mowbray will make the right decisions with whatever money is made available to him by our crackpot owners.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.