BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

In an alternative universe before our kick off on 27 June, this looked like it could be the decisive battle for 6th place.

Well Cardiff need to keep winning to remain in 6th.

My doing match threads has a 100% record of defeats for Rovers since coming up so I have started this one deliberately to put us out of our misery.

Not going to hazard a team selection beyond Downing at Left Back.

• Like 1

No doubt Bennett will be patched up and chucked back into the side. Gallagher will continue wide right.

Davenport should be given a run of starts, Rankin Costello should in his favoured position with Rothwell repeatedly wasting the chances hes had. Chapman too on the right hand side. Get Buckley involved regularly too.

• Like 2

We need to see the youngsters and those who might be able to help us next week. But there is a balance 

I'd argue that we should start Rothwell every game until the end of the season and take the leash of him. He is incredibly frustrating and his end product is severely lacking but we haven't got many options atm. He put a great pass on for Gallagher on saturday and there still might be a player in there. The other option for me is Chapman but from the little I've seen since he has been back is he is finished.

Davenport has to start all remaining games, is he good enough? We wont know until we get a look. Same with JRC if fit. Buckley has not convinced me as of yet but he has talent, give him some game time. 

Unfortunately popadom wrists Walton has to start as I dont see any viable alternative.

Walton

Nyambe  Lenihan  Tosin  Downing

JRC    Travis    Davenport  Rothwell

Holtby 

Armstrong

Give Buckley, Vale, Carter, whoever else is actually in training (thompson?) Time off the bench. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No doubt Bennett will be patched up and chucked back into the side. Gallagher will continue wide right.

Davenport should be given a run of starts, Rankin Costello should in his favoured position with Rothwell repeatedly wasting the chances hes had. Chapman too on the right hand side. Get Buckley involved regularly too.

Agreed. I want to see Thompson, Vale and Carter given minutes too. 

I think its all about ensuring that there is a semblence of balance too. The objective has to be to see if the younger players closest to the first team are capable of not even necessarily being first team starters next year but reducing where possible the amount of surgery on the squad that I suspect is necessary but financially impossible.

Rankin Costello is a perfect example. Hes often name dropped as one of the main youngsters breaking through and his natural position is where we are very weak. Theres no point playing him at left back and theres no point giving him 20 minutes at the end. Give him the last 5 games starting on that left wing. Likewise, start Chapman on the right. Theres no point giving him 10 minutes when we are 2 down and down to 10 men. I dont see any players in our squad that are competent wide, so if either or even both impress it could lessen the pressure of summer recruitment. Davenport is being dripped fed quarter of an hour cameos, what use is that? Sadly we can expect Gallagher and Johnson bumbling around ineffectively in those positions.

To give these a chance though it should be within the framework of our main players around them. You cant expect to throw too many kids in together and put in a a competitive performance against an in form Championship side.

People have mentioned players like Vale and Carter and theres definitely scope to have them on a 9 man bench rather than players like Samuel and Smallwood who should be about to leave, as well as Mulgrew and Bennett who we know arent up to it. But its not constructive to stick them all in at once.

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think its all about ensuring that there is a semblence of balance too. The objective has to be to see if the younger players closest to the first team are capable of not even necessarily being first team starters next year but reducing where possible the amount of surgery on the squad that I suspect is necessary but financially impossible.

Rankin Costello is a perfect example. Hes often name dropped as one of the main youngsters breaking through and his natural position is where we are very weak. Theres no point playing him at left back and theres no point giving him 20 minutes at the end. Give him the last 5 games starting on that left wing. Likewise, start Chapman on the right. Theres no point giving him 10 minutes when we are 2 down and down to 10 men. I dont see any players in our squad that are competent wide, so if either or even both impress it could lessen the pressure of summer recruitment. Davenport is being dripped fed quarter of an hour cameos, what use is that? Sadly we can expect Gallagher and Johnson bumbling around ineffectively in those positions.

To give these a chance though it should be within the framework of our main players around them. You cant expect to throw too many kids in together and put in a a competitive performance against an in form Championship side.

People have mentioned players like Vale and Carter and theres definitely scope to have them on a 9 man bench rather than players like Samuel and Smallwood who should be about to leave, as well as Mulgrew and Bennett who we know arent up to it. But its not constructive to stick them all in at once.

Agreed, probably should have clarified before I still want our skeleton of Nyambe / Lenihan / Tosin - Travis - Arma present by and large, just the usual suspects rightfully dropped and, instead of being replaced by more filler or dodgy formation changes, replaced by actual lads hungry to prove themselves. It won't be good for either anyone concerned if we essentially field the u23 squad.

• Like 4

It wont happen but we need to go back to basics. Fresh blood, players in their best position and see what happens. We all know isnt the Tony Way however. 

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Downing

Travis Davenport

Chapman    Buckley      Armstrong

Gallagher

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, benhben said:

It wont happen but we need to go back to basics. Fresh blood, players in their best position and see what happens. We all know isnt the Tony Way however. 

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Downing

Travis Davenport

Chapman    Buckley      Armstrong

Gallagher

Apart from Travis there's not a tackle in any of them beyond the back four.

• Backroom

Not in the least excited but I’m a glutton for punishment so I’ll be watching.

Feels like a dead rubber for us, season all but over so we’ll provably pick up a few wins again now.

Drop Walton, drop Johnson, drop Gallagher, no silly formations

• Like 1

I think Mowbray's mindset to these last few games will all be about self preservation and finishing as high as he can rather than playing some development / U23 players to see what they can do.

Agree with Tom above, as a minimum Walton, Johnson and Gallagher should be dropped - in fact, IMO, loanee, calamity Walton should not start another game for Rovers.  Can any of the development / U23 players do any worse than those three?

Can see absolutely nothing other than a Cardiff win.  So confident of this, I've put all my my £130 winnings for betting against Rovers last week on a Cardff win at just a little better than evens.  For those who say you shouldn't bet against Rovers then I would say why not?  If we are so poor and it's easy money then you would be silly not to.

To be honest, if it would result in Mowbray's departure, I would take a hiding and defeat in each of our last five matches.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

In 2 minds whether to even bother watching it, I probably will as there's not a lot else to do on a Tuesday night but I'm certainly not looking forward to it. I imagine Cardiff will win at a canter as another season of promise fizzles out.

Same again next season? ?

47 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I want to see Bennett, Williams, Mulgrew, Smallwood et al, a good mullering and TM sacked.

Sorry just thinking out loud. ?

Next season i want to see a pair of knackers grown and Bennett the first name on the .......bench being the utility BACK UP he should be. Mulgrew sent anywhere to get some wages back, Smallwood sent to Coventry where he belongs. 

Don't mind Del he'd be next to Bennett on the bench.

There is a 100% more chance of them all starting in the first game next season than what iv'e just said. These lot are the main stays of Mowbrays squad.

Tomorrow night play the u23's

Cardiff  0   Rovers  3  

Edited by tomphil

I dont even think that Bennett is competent as a utility back up. I think to some especially Mowbray, the fact that he has played in numerous positions fools people into thinking that he can play in numerous positions. The phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" is particularly relevant.

He once was an out and out winger with pace, he then got a serious injury which I can only assume robbed him of some of that. He had a loan spell at Bristol City where I think he played at wing back, the start of the post injury Bennett and he didnt earn a permanent contract. Even as a winger in League 1 for us, he was not effective and scored/assisted rarely. The fact that hes never considered for his natural position considering our lack of options out there says alot. He had that really good game with Smallwood v Shrewsbury which the pair impressed solely due to their work rate and energy. He carried on there for a bit in League 1 but never replicated that effectiveness. Then full back became the next place that Mowbray tried to fit him in which he felt was necessary because he is the "voice of the dressing room." This position particularly highlights his inability to draw the line before energetic and tireless become rash and unnecessary. And now hes not even playing on the correct side.

James Milner is versatile. His intelligence and reading of the game means that he can play in different positions and not stand out as a weakness. Bennett wherever he goes will repeatedly concede fouls and repeatedly run out of position. Hes not a Championship standard player.

• Like 3

——-———-Walton——————

——-Nyambe Tosin Lenihan——-

JRC—————————-Downing

—-—Rothwell Travis Davenport—

——-Holtby—————————-
——-———Armstrong

Start working on a new formation cause it ain’t working

Edited by Fraserkirky