BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

21 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Well, since Nyambe probably wouldn't fetch much and would leave a glaring hole at RB, who would you sell to balance the books this summer?

I would sell Nyambe as I said before has he got only 12 months left on his deal. Plus let those out of contract players go. 

Plus I would expect FFP rules to be relax as UEFA has done but we have to see in the coming days and weeks

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would sell Nyambe as I said before has he got only 12 months left on his deal. Plus let those out of contract players go. 

Plus I would expect FFP rules to be relax as UEFA has done but we have to see in the coming days and weeks

It's the players that we don't want to sell that we may struggle to hold on to. Players like Travis who can put it about a bit are few and far between theses days. Players like him are what you need to get out of this Division. Other teams will be watching. Ditto with goal scorers.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ok but how much do you think we would get for him? In the current climate, and with 12 months on his deal, we would be lucky to get 5 million for him (and I wouldn't entertain selling him for that personally) which would make almost no difference to our FFP situation. We would also need to buy a replacement with that. It's probably more likely we would get about 3 million, Raya style. Look how that turned out.

It's true we will see what happens with FFP but as things stand, this just wouldn't cut the mustard and would very likely leave us weakened in the weakest area of our team, defence.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Plus I really dont see who would want to stump up for him. Certainly dont see a Premier League side after him.

If a Prem side did, you could probably look for closer to 10 million tbh. If they were serious and not just looking for a development project (they've paid more for less developed projects though). Selling to Prem sides is an entirely different market. It's precisely because I can't see a Prem side coming in, which is purely because of his limited end product, that I put the values down there. Clubs in this league would probably start the bidding at 1.5 or some derisory crap. Aka, probably Gally's wage and bonuses (appearances, not goals...) for one year. What's the point?

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Ok but how much do you think we would get for him? In the current climate, and with 12 months on his deal, we would be lucky to get 5 million for him (and I wouldn't entertain selling him for that personally) which would make almost no difference to our FFP situation. We would also need to buy a replacement with that. It's probably more likely we would get about 3 million, Raya style. Look how that turned out.

It's true we will see what happens with FFP but as things stand, this just wouldn't cut the mustard and would very likely leave us weakened in the weakest area of our team, defence.

So you let him for free in 12 months time and take a risk on the fee we get at a tribunal like Josh King? 

I can see us 5 million for him. That's my thoughts. 

Also I see that Bournemouth are planning to sell King so if we do have a sell on clause we will get money from that

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If a Prem side did, you could probably look for closer to 10 million tbh. If they were serious and not just looking for a development project (they've paid more for less developed projects though). Selling to Prem sides is an entirely different market. It's precisely because I can't see a Prem side coming in, which is purely because of his limited end product, that I put the values down there. Clubs in this league would probably start the bidding at 1.5 or some derisory crap. Aka, probably Gally's wage and bonuses (appearances, not goals...) for one year. What's the point?

No way does he attract a Premier League side for me, and if he did he would be back up. Never a Premier League player at this time.

Nyambe did a much better job getting forward in the second half and that helped the whole team. Spent much of it in the Cardiff half. I still can’t believe how good we were second half, that was what Tony has been on about, dominating the ball and territory game. And as for Bradley Johnson, I have been slaying him for weeks but what a second half, winning every ball, monstrous headers and pressuring all over, don’t know where that came from. He was like a man possessed.

JRC was excellent I thought throughout and should start there Saturday, hell of an engine on him, nice touch and will get forward. 

Second half we looked like we had half a plan for the first time in months, and that was get the ball out to Armstrong early. He barely touched the ball first half but was causing problems straight away in the second half. 

Let’s get after West Brom and see what happens. Reading, Millwall and Luton tough but doable.

Edited by Fraserkirky

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sell Nyambe? Strange move. One of our most promising players 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sell Nyambe? Strange move. One of our most promising players 

We won't get chance to sell him i don't think....he will run his deal down if Mowbray stays I'm sure of that. Treated him terribly in my opinion and held him back by 2 seasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

I'm not talking about the entire books. I'm talking about getting straight with FFP.

Ffp won't exist this summer. How on earth is it going to be enforced with no crowds and incomes dropping through the floor.

The only reason we have to sell players is to raise cash. Nowt to do with Ffp

• Like 5

An enjoyable and welcome win. Impressive in many ways against a Cardiff side in fine form on a ground we struggle on. 

Armstrong proving his values once again. Travis and Johnson very good. 

I agree that the presence of Graham in the starting XI makes the difference. 

A typical Rovers performance timed to come off the back of 3 abject results and to bounce back with an impressive and deserved away win against a good side.

Mowbray has been doing this for more than 2 years. I wish it would change but we seem to go around in these circles, ruing missed opportunities against the weak sides of the league.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Ffp won't exist this summer. How on earth is it going to be enforced with no crowds and incomes dropping through the floor.

So I’m taking that as good news. Maybe this will be a niche year we’re Venkys throw down some money again, for one final push.

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

So I’m taking that as good news. Maybe this will be a niche year we’re Venkys throw down some money again, for one final push.

in theory yes if they were determined enough. I'm sure there will be some other excuse though.

2 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Id rather they give a bundle of cash to someone else. Or not a bundle of cash to someone else. Time to go Mowbray.

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So you let him for free in 12 months time and take a risk on the fee we get at a tribunal like Josh King? 

Also I see that Bournemouth are planning to sell King so if we do have a sell on clause we will get money from that

Well no, I offer him a new contract obviously. Partly with money I didn't spunk on giving pointless extensions to players who never feature, and the pointless signings of Gallagher and Brereton. In fact I'd have had him on the 4-year contract (3 years, extra year in our favour) I'd have signed him on last season so that no wage bump was needed now. But in absence of all this, yes I'd try to get his contract extended first and take it from there if we couldn't. Tbh the club are big on 'and another year in the club's favour' so I won't be surprised if we have that clause in Nyambe's contract already. Nobody knew Bell had one until well after it was activated.

What sort of club do you think is paying 5 million for him in this climate, in this league? He's a full-back who doesn't score and doesn't consistently assist, and everybody is feeling the covid pinch. Elliott Bennett has sat in front of him for stretches of the last two seasons. We got 3 million for our talented keeper who played every game for 2 seasons. So again, who in the Championship is going to want to pay 5 million for him right now, even though I personally think he'll go on to be worth a lot more? If you can name me a club with the money, the need at RB, and who would consider him the right option for them, I'll be surprised. Prem teams being relegated will likely be happy with what they've got there, or just go and buy the 3 top-rated RBs in the league.

Yeh I hope we get a King windfall, that would be a big help right now.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'd prioritise getting promoted and ensuring we have a squad capable of doing so e.g. keeping our best players and adding to them  rather than worrying about what we might or might not be able to fetch for our best players. 

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No way does he attract a Premier League side for me, and if he did he would be back up. Never a Premier League player at this time.

I agree he won't attract a Prem club yet, I wasn't suggesting otherwise, I was just saying if it did happen (you never know in football). As soon as he starts being able to put in crosses even reasonably though, you're probably talking eight figures because Prem clubs probably would be interested then.

Personally I think he'd be fine in our team if we went up though...assuming we got a real winger so we stopped relying on our fullback to put crosses in, and maybe got strikers who actually know how to get on the end of crosses anyway. I'd expect us to sign competition there obviously, and that may or may not be someone better in the end, but I don't think he'd be getting embarassed defensively by relegation-battle Prem standards. Not that we are going up of course either.

36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Speculation at this stage until we hear something official from the EFL. Most of the speculation I have heard seems to suggest it will be a postponement of FFP, not a 'write off your losses this year everyone, it's fine'. Ie, the losses we make will still be counted, but probably a season later. As I say though, we'll have to see, all speculation. Either way, it seems pretty likely the club is going to decide it needs to sell players, whether it's FFP, or Venkys reluctance to fund us with meh results and their own business being increasingly uncertain. And yes, I know that's also speculation, but I'm sure we all have the sense that there won't be any money unless we sell.

Edited by bluebruce

Just now, bluebruce said:

Speculation at this stage until we hear something official from the EFL. Most of the speculation I have heard seems to suggest it will be a postponement of FFP, not a 'write off your losses this year everyone, it's fine'. Ie, the losses we make will still be counted, but probably a season later. As I say though, we'll have to see, all speculation. Either way, it seems pretty likely the club is going to decide it needs to sell players, whether it's FFP, or Venkys reluctance to fund us with meh results and their own business being increasingly uncertain.

Mowbray was in the press today saying he doesn't know his budget. So I'm not sure on what basis anyone is saying we have to sell players. 

If Ffp is delayed or deferred then in effect we get a bonus season.

Everyone is affected by the same rules so sickening stunts like.selling our assets.to Brentford or Fulham like we've done recently will be unjustifiable.

Last we heard Venkys were billionaires desperate and determined to invest in the club and get it promoted. 

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray was in the press today saying he doesn't know his budget. So I'm not sure on what basis anyone is saying we have to sell players. 

If Ffp is delayed or deferred then in effect we get a bonus season.

Everyone is affected by the same rules so sickening stunts like.selling our assets.to Brentford or Fulham like we've done recently will be unjustifiable.

Last we heard Venkys were billionaires desperate and determined to invest in the club and get it promoted. 

I don't think the fact he still doesn't know his budget bodes well for that budget being half-decent. I know Venkys always do this lethargic budget reveal crap every year, but don't we usually know it by roughly this point? Surely it has been impressed upon them how much work we have to do in a very short space of time this year, and it hasn't helped. Just a feeling that, combined with corona hitting their core businesses, they'll not give us much of a pot this summer. I'm not saying I think we're going to have to sell to survive, but sell to recruit in all the areas we need, and throw out pointless extensions to dross like TM will insist.

A 1-year FFP delay would mean it will be two more full seasons before the penalties kick in, but it's not a 'free' year as such. It will still be welcome if it comes, and if Venkys are feeling generous enough they'd probably match last season's budget then, yeh.

I'm not saying it's justifiable, I'll actually be furious if we sell any of Armstrong, Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis or Dack for anything below what I think they're worth to us, corona or no, and without an adequate replacement. I just think it's likely to happen that one of the crown jewels goes this season, and I was asking Chaddy which one he'd pick, especially given he seems to feel certain it'll happen. I don't personally feel the sale of any of them is likely, in the real world, to benefit us on the pitch overall.

Yeh we always hear the Venkys want to invest thing but apart from three marquee signings (Rhodes, Gallagher and Brereton) it seldom materialises. Have we ever paid more than 1.5 million (Arma, though that could rise to near 3) for anyone else since we came down? I can't remember. I've always seen Venkys as in a face-saving exercise with the vague hope we might get up to the PL and hit the jackpot for them, keeping the club afloat as they know how they've wronged us, and with only vague actual interest. I've never seen them as 'desperate and determined to invest in the club and get it promoted' no matter what their sycophants tell us.

10 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Unfortunately, I could easily see us selling Nyambe to a PL side; there are former Rovers defenders all over PL- Dann, Hanley, & Duffy.

However, they all had Premier League experience. Hanley and Duffy only signed for Championship sides, who got promoted. Nyambe's CV makes him more of a risk for them, especially whilst his final product still lacks.

Edited by bluebruce