BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sell Nyambe? Strange move. One of our most promising players 

I agree with that and I've been a fan of his almost since day one. i wouldn't sell him at the moment but I'm a bit concerned about his lack of development. He's not a kid anymore. He's got all the attributes to become a really good right full back bar one - the ability to create chances for team mates. In particular his crossing of the ball is mediocre. In todays football full backs have to be able to do more than defend, some fullbacks probably have the opportunity to cross the ball more than the " wingers ", especially at Rovers. Sometimes it's the early, unexpected, crosses that catch teams out. But they've got to be accurate otherwise you're just giving the ball away.

The lad's got great athleticism, you can't teach that, but crossing and passing are basic skills that can be worked on. His lack of progress in this aspect of his game will hold him back from playing at a significantly higher level.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

IIt all starts with a balanced team though. I use hope Mowbray has learned his lesson and we’ve seen the last time that Bennett starts. But I feel like I’ve said this before and he goes right back to his preferred list and we perform poorly again.

Same happens with Graham---in reverse!

Just now, 47er said:

So do we get rid of Samual as plenty were saying we should or does he deserve more chances?

If we'd paid £M7 for him he'd play every game!

One goal shouldn't change a thing.

Let him go and spend the wages elsewhere.

Let's see what the fabled European scouting network can find in the summer.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

No false nine, no wide strikers, no square pegs in round holes and no baffling tactics. The players seemed to know their roles and positions. The result is a solid performance and win.

Hopefully Mowbray will at last realise that football really is a simple game.

But I sincerely doubt it.

To be fair Graham did play as a false nine and spent a bit of time on left wing....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

So do we get rid of Samual as plenty were saying we should or does he deserve more chances?

If we'd paid £M7 for him he'd play every game!

Rid look at the chances he misses and always has and as long as he's around he'll keep getting on good bad or indifferent.

The rotation of him,  BB and Gallagher is already annoying imagine a season of it !!!

One of them yes but all 3 no thanks we'd be lucky to see a return of 10 goals combined.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

To be fair Graham did play as a false nine and spent a bit of time on left wing....

Of course players will move around the pitch in a fluid system but in general Graham was playing down the middle and was the focal point of our attacks, doing what he does well by holding the ball up, bringing players into play and occupying their centre halves. Gallagher pretty much hogs the touchline in Mowbrays wide striker role.

All this about ‘dynamic play’, ‘front foot’, wide strikers, ‘dominating the ball’ and all the rest of it.

But three and a half years on, we are still at our best with Graham as a focal point. Just a shame his career at this level is winding down as he is still the main man as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with that and I've been a fan of his almost since day one. i wouldn't sell him at the moment but I'm a bit concerned about his lack of development. He's not a kid anymore. He's got all the attributes to become a really good right full back bar one - the ability to create chances for team mates. In particular his crossing of the ball is mediocre. In todays football full backs have to be able to do more than defend, some fullbacks probably have the opportunity to cross the ball more than the " wingers ", especially at Rovers. Sometimes it's the early, unexpected, crosses that catch teams out. But they've got to be accurate otherwise you're just giving the ball away.

The lad's got great athleticism, you can't teach that, but crossing and passing are basic skills that can be worked on. His lack of progress in this aspect of his game will hold him back from playing at a significantly higher level.

Ya and shooting! Although I think if he scored, he might relax a bit. 

24 minutes ago, Amo said:

One goal shouldn't change a thing.

Let him go and spend the wages elsewhere.

Let's see what the fabled European scouting network can find in the summer.

I've always thought he was a bit of a blunt instrument. He's never going to be a prolific goal scorer. Nobody takes every chance, I'd say Armstrong maybe needs two good chances for every goal he scores. Samuel needs half a dozen at least and at the moment we struggle to make that many chances in a game. If he had any sense he'd modify his game down the Kevin Davies route and start throwing his weight around as a target man but he shows no signs of doing that.

In a normal world, pre virus, I'd say we could sell him and get a good bit of what we spent back. I don't think that sort of money will be being spent now, especially at the sort of lower level club that may be interested in him.. It looks like Graham will be going, the two "big strapping lads " show no signs of being the answer, there isn't a big striker coming through the youth ranks. So unless we're going to let Mowbray have another shot a signing a striker I think we're stuck with Samuel.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've always thought he was a bit of a blunt instrument. He's never going to be a prolific goal scorer. Nobody takes every chance, I'd say Armstrong maybe needs two good chances for every goal he scores. Samuel needs half a dozen at least and at the moment we struggle to make that many chances in a game. If he had any sense he'd modify his game down the Kevin Davies route and start throwing his weight around as a target man but he shows no signs of doing that.

In a normal world, pre virus, I'd say we could sell him and get a good bit of what we spent back. I don't think that sort of money will be being spent now, especially at the sort of lower level club that may be interested in him.. It looks like Graham will be going, the two "big strapping lads " show no signs of being the answer, there isn't a big striker coming through the youth ranks. So unless we're going to let Mowbray have another shot a signing a striker I think we're stuck with Samuel.

It's inevitable we are going to get bids for Armstrong now and I wouldn't be surprised to see one near £7 million. So next season could be very worrying on the goals front. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's inevitable we are going to get bids for Armstrong now and I wouldn't be surprised to see one near £7 million. So next season could be very worrying on the goals front. 

Other clubs will be looking at him. If somebody came in with that sort of money I think the Chicken Chokers would be tempted to recoup some of their losses. Of course he, or his agent, may decide he wants a move anyway

Tosin is a fantastic player but he was at fault for our 2nd goal. Complete wrong side of his man. Danny Graham trying to track the overlap too - I mean, come on, Samuel and Armstrong should be doing the tracking back from our attacking players.

Good win though and what a goal by Armstrong ? Shame that still leaves us 5 pts away. Honestly cannot believe we didn't get 6 points from Barnsley and Wigan...................... my god.

Just one win from those or even a couple of draws would have had us in with a chance.

But that capitulation like you saw in the second half at Barnsley is never too far away with this team, which is why we never make that final leap.

48 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Every season is always a worry on the goals front, but we always manage. Personally I think, to have more success, we need to improve the defence first.

• Like 3