BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

25 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

You are joking right? Or have I totally made up a previous heated conversation about this topic?!

Blimey you expecting me to remember 5 months what I said. Had other more important things on my mind since then  

We weren't 4-3-3 formation back then was we? 

We were playing 4-2-3-1 and Gallagher was playing mostly from wide right but drifting inside alot. Not playing a winger. 

8 hours ago, WacoRover said:

Re: Wharton, and it’s the last I will say about him... Guys can only get better with experience. He’s been good enough at the lower leagues, and he can play the position. Even Kane & Vardy played on loanout at places like Leyton Orient & Fleetwood. Ian Rush started at Chester City. 

Not saying Wharton is their equal; just saying that’s how players improve, by getting playing time. Wharton is still just 22, with 80 games under his belt. He probably will not ever be a star at a high level; At least he’s not wasting his time on the bench. 

He has two appearances in a Rovers shirt. Give him a runout and see what happens. He’s definitely more valuable to the future of Rovers football than Bennett. 

I've only seen him play once for 1/2 hr in that " Egg-Cup " game at Rochdale. He was sent off in one of those incidents were two players both go in with a high boot for a bouncing ball and Wharton got there first and caught the guy. Their guy made a meal of it and as the incident was right in front of the Rochdale bench they all came rushing out also making a meal of it, so out came the red card. Of course 30 seconds later their guy was running around like a good 'un. Unfortunately that's football today.

Going off the half an hour I saw he seemed to be quite a composed player and was always looking to find a Rovers shirt further up field with some nice measured passes. Given lots of teams let the opposing centre halves have the ball and press everywhere else having a good passer of the ball at the back is very useful. Matty Platt came on in his place and one of the forwards had to walk the plank to allow the substitution to be made. He looked a bit more of a back to basics player than Wharton but he didn't do anything wrong.

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Blimey you expecting me to remember 5 months what I said. Had other more important things on my mind since then  

We were playing 4-2-3-1 and Gallagher was playing mostly from wide right but drifting inside alot. Not playing a winger. 

Well a little consistency would be nice! 

Glad to see an admission 5 months on that Gally was playing out wide. Also the fact he is playing out wide or as a false 9 now also shows he is being played out of position. He's a pudding but isn't being helped by being played out of position. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's plenty of top players who came from humble beginnings. Kevin Keegan from Scunthorpe to European Footballer of the year is possibly a stand out example. David Speedie made his name initially at Darlington.

The discussion was about The merits of younger players going out on loan to lower leagues 

10 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I was about to post the same thing. 

Blues Bar becomes Berkovic Bar....

Berkovic played 11 games for us, compared to Beckham playing 5 for them.

Maybe the Baggio Bar would be a better shout. Although he did play 9 games for us, so maybe too many ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

5 months? 5 minutes would be good! :P 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, tomphil said:

Embarrassing Preston ?

It's like us naming things after Ardiles or Archibald !

Makes sense as the few who show up at the Meccano Stadium are ManUre fans who can't afford OT prices.

Drinking in Golden Balls makes them feel at home.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Makes sense as the few who show up at the Meccano Stadium as ManUre fans who can't afford OT prices.

Drinking in Golden Balls makes them feel at home.

It gave them somewhere to go after the Man Utd Superstore in Preston centre shut ?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gallagher was 1 trillion % playing as a winger and rarely cutting inside. He's probably only played as a striker 3 times in total. 

Every other time has been out right and staying out wide making him completely inneffective

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Gallagher was 1 trillion % playing as a winger and rarely cutting inside. He's probably only played as a striker 3 times in total. 

Every other time has been out right and staying out wide making him completely inneffective

He did play up front quite a lot in the first half of the season and was still poor to be fair. But he definitely has played wide much of the time especially lately.

If it was truly a front 3 like a 3 pronged attack then i think that would suit him better, probably would Brereton or Samuel as well.  As it is however he sets up it always seems to end up with whoever is in that berth being wide like a winger.

It's worked a couple of times and is obviously better when we attack and press but most of the time to be honest it's just codswallop. It's like a waste of a player/position we've done well to get the points we have doing that.  So disjointed it looks at times.

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If it was truly a front 3 like a 3 pronged attack then i think that would suit him better, probably would Brereton or Samuel as well.  As it is however he sets up it always seems to end up with whoever is in that berth being wide like a winger.

It's worked a couple of times and is obviously better when we attack and press but most of the time to be honest it's just codswallop. It's like a waste of a player/position we've done well to get the points we have doing that.  So disjointed it looks at times.

But why can't the manager see that? It's clearly not getting the best out of the player, so why would the manager persist with something that even the average fan can see isn't effective?

• Like 3

Just now, Amo said:

But why can't the manager see that? It's clearly not getting the best out of the player, so why would the manager persist with something that even the average fan can see isn't effective?

Well he's a 5 million pound signing who he was after a while apparently so he'll keep fogging it whilst it works once in a while.  Also he has 2 others very similar so that system accommodates them as well.

I keep thinking there must be a reason he's splashed big money on two right sided strikers but if that's it what we see then it's not a good sign. We need a right sided version of Armstrong if he's going to persist that way. Then a replacement for Graham and eventually Dack, if he's preloaded that with Gally and Brereton he might have hamstrung us for a few years.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2020 at 00:42, WacoRover said:

He has two appearances in a Rovers shirt. Give him a runout and see what happens.

He debuted in 2016, the fact he's only made two appearances in a Rovers shirt, under multiple coaching set ups, isn't a positive for him - it sheds a negative light.

John Buckley, 19, thrown straight in
Lewis Travis at 19, thrown straight in
Ryan Nyambe at 19, thrown straight in

These are the players who succeed, not a 23-year old who's spent the last four years out on loan, mostly in League Two.

12 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

He's probably only played as a striker 3 times in total. 

He played upfront against Birmingham in the FA Cup and genuinely looked like he'd never played football before. Yes he's usually a bit out of position, but that doesn't explain why at 6ft 4" he can't win simple headers, he can't control a football and he can't make intelligent runs. These factors aren't positional, they're intrinsically ability based.

Edited by JoeH

Just now, JoeH said:

He debuted in 2016, the fact he's only made two appearances in a Rovers shirt, under multiple coaching set ups, isn't a positive for him - it sheds a negative light.

John Buckley, 19, thrown straight in
Lewis Travis at 19, thrown straight in
Ryan Nyambe at 19, thrown straight in

These are the players who succeed, not a 23-year old who's spent the last four years out on loan, mostly in League Two.

The thing is we may not have the luxury of getting other players. We may well have to make do with what we have got 

1 minute ago, rigger said:

The thing is we may not have the luxury of getting other players. We may well have to make do with what we have got 

Then make do with Derrick Williams, who has 250 career senior apps, 2/3rds of which in the Championship. Rather than someone slightly younger who's made less than 100 career apps in League Two.

520371834_ScreenShot2020-07-10at12_27_08.png.43c09ea0658cae51d29089feb4bd35d2.png1930221015_ScreenShot2020-07-10at12_26_53.png.ce6faeb933dddecb808ab32c46326e6b.png

I know which I'd be choosing...

Edited by JoeH

Just now, JoeH said:

Then make do with Derrick Williams, who has 250 career senior apps, 2/3rds of which in the Championship. Rather than someone slightly younger who's made less than 100 career apps in League Two.

That is where a manager comes in. He sees both players in training every day. He then makes the decision who he wants to play and who is the backup.