Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
philipl

Cardiff away

Recommended Posts

Well... that was unexpected! And a wondergoal to gives us the 3 points.  Maybe a little too late to dream again, but Cardiff do have to play Derby in the next week or so. Stranger things have happened! Lets just roll on this one a bit and hope for the best come the weekend.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TM is the king of surprising but utterly pointless and too late upsets. It shows why we need to get rid of him as soon as possible - we have talent in the squad that can win games, but only when they feel free and under no pressure. TM is utterly incapable of harvesting that into consistant performances and results, and that 100% falls on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I gave MOM to Travis but I think we need to forge a duplicate and give it to Graham.

 

First game I could actually see a formation and style in our play.

This was largely down to Graham playing the central role as a false 9 (as opposed to someone else). He wasn't playing as the usual (thankless) hold it up or knock it on man. i.e we played with 11 men instead of 10 (or 9).

Very intelligent with his movement last night. Top class pro complete with strikers instinct and a football brain.

Also thought that we set the tempo and took the game to them throughout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blue blood said:

This sums up Rovers for me. It's strange but when the team is under pressure to perform they simply cannot do it. When there isn't any pressure they look a very good outfit. 

A few other correlating factors which I don't think are unrelated to today's win:

1) The pressure was off the team but the scrutiny was on TM. Funny how when the fans start getting restless the obvious belated team changes happen and the performances improve. 

2) Following on from number 1, it's no surprise we do better when Bennett and Gally aren't in the team. 

3) We were clear underdogs and Cardiff needed to come at us. These are games we relish far more than lower league scraps. Sure we get overawed and play too cautiously vs the big clubs in the division like Leeds, but any game where we aren't clear favourites and the opposition comes to us, seem to be the ones we relish. 

Great win. Shows what we are capable of. Questions need to be asked why we aren't doing it when it really counts. 

I don’t think it’s as much pressure on the team but caution from the manager.

When we really need a win we play a defensive approach, odd personnel, and never get going in games. Being kind, I think he overthinks his tactics to try to counter the opposition strengths. When there is no need to any caution (in the manager’s eyes) we play with much more freedoms. Rovers always look good when we play to our own strengths and look to hurt teams. Yes, we may win 3-2 but it’s better than losing but conceding less.

What I don’t understand is when we are safe from relegation - the first priority - why we don’t go for it. This is something Hughes made a point of (and I think Souness too). Get to the magic number and then go and play football like you want to win.

It all starts with a balanced team though. I use hope Mowbray has learned his lesson and we’ve seen the last time that Bennett starts. But I feel like I’ve said this before and he goes right back to his preferred list and we perform poorly again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is in part the opposition.

Leeds played to win like you would expect. On another day if we scored our early chances we could have won. I commented after about 15 minutes that it could easily be 3-2.

Last night both sides wanted to win so it was open and barring a fantastic goal from Arma could have gone either way.

Against the bottom sides they tend to put 10 men behind the ball and play on the break. We don't have the intelligence or movement to draw them out and get around them. Again, taking the few chances you do get becomes critical.

City couldn't break down Southampton (who defended brilliantly btw) the other night in much the same way.

Mowbray tries to overthink a way around this and either can't or doesn't have the players capable. This is maybe the missing link. Having a reliable plan B for the bottom sides. No coincidence these sides are consistently our achilles heal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I think it is in part the opposition.

Leeds played to win like you would expect. On another day if we scored our early chances we could have won. I commented after about 15 minutes that it could easily be 3-2.

Last night both sides wanted to win so it was open and barring a fantastic goal from Arma could have gone either way.

Against the bottom sides they tend to put 10 men behind the ball and play on the break. We don't have the intelligence or movement to draw them out and get around them. Again, taking the few chances you do get becomes critical.

City couldn't break down Southampton (who defended brilliantly btw) the other night in much the same way.

Mowbray tries to overthink a way around this and either can't or doesn't have the players capable. This is maybe the missing link. Having a reliable plan B for the bottom sides. No coincidence these sides are consistently our achilles heal.

All of that true, plus Gallagher, Brereton and Bennett are all awful and they didn't play. 

Samuel, Graham and Rankin-Costello was a significant improvement. I think same players we would have won at least one of those games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rigger said:

It’s behind closed doors 

Interesting. Wasn't my point. I'm glad I was proved correct :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No false nine, no wide strikers, no square pegs in round holes and no baffling tactics. The players seemed to know their roles and positions. The result is a solid performance and win.

Hopefully Mowbray will at last realise that football really is a simple game.

But I sincerely doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mercer said:

Yep.  Why?

IMO, our Academy is overrated.  Where are the 18 or 19 year olds who should become 'big players' for us.

We have a crop of players going on 21 who I don't think are really good enough.  Having dais that, you only find out by giving them a feckin chance.

Dan Pike, Luke Brennan, Zak Gilsenan and D'Margio Wright-Phillips in the Under 18's all look very promising indeed. Could become very big players in the future.

Joe Rankin-Costello proved yet again last night that he will be a very big player for us. John Buckley, Joe Rankin-Costello, Ryan Nyambe, Lewis Travis, Darragh Lenihan are all players who have played in our youth teams and are now in the first team.

If you do truly go and watch the 23's you'll see we have a pretty decent side, competing against some of the best in the country. Jack Vale is breaking through, Dan Butterworth is a baller and if he recovers from his injury will get first team game time soon, Joe Grayson can pass a ball really nicely and shows promise. I find it a very dower overview to say our academy is overrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Steptoe87 said:

Jesus JRC injured again hamstrings like paper 

Had a knock from three games ago going into the game, physios told TM that he'd get 20 minutes out of him. He got 60 something.

The lad had a really serious injury a year or two back and is still finding his legs after it, takes a long time to be "right" after an injury so serious. Think he did marvellous and luckily, it's not a hamstring injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Dan Pike, Luke Brennan, Zak Gilsenan and D'Margio Wright-Phillips in the Under 18's all look very promising indeed. Could become very big players in the future.

Joe Rankin-Costello proved yet again last night that he will be a very big player for us. John Buckley, Joe Rankin-Costello, Ryan Nyambe, Lewis Travis, Darragh Lenihan are all players who have played in our youth teams and are now in the first team.

If you do truly go and watch the 23's you'll see we have a pretty decent side, competing against some of the best in the country. Jack Vale is breaking through, Dan Butterworth is a baller and if he recovers from his injury will get first team game time soon, Joe Grayson can pass a ball really nicely and shows promise. I find it a very dower overview to say our academy is overrated.

Was very pleased that JRC had probably his best game for us so far and showed that he should definitely be a part of the first team squad going forward permanently. My only worry with him is that we suddenly turn him into the answer at LB - sure he is far better than EB there (not difficult) but I would prefer to see him given an extended chance further forward. Sometimes, being so versatile (a utility player if you like) can be detrimental to the progress of a player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is going on with the coaching at the club? Specifically with Nyambe, surely they should have been working on his end product (shooting/crossing) for the past season or two - it has always been the only thing holding him back from being an excellent full back. That chance from the excellent low cross from AA was easier to score then miss. So frustrating that he never just whips a cross in and instead cuts back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I genuinely think Nyambe has a good delivery, just isn't allowed to get into the positions as Mowbray holds him back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
14 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

What is going on with the coaching at the club? Specifically with Nyambe, surely they should have been working on his end product (shooting/crossing) for the past season or two - it has always been the only thing holding him back from being an excellent full back. That chance from the excellent low cross from AA was easier to score then miss. So frustrating that he never just whips a cross in and instead cuts back. 

He definitely needs to improve his end product, but I feel like he often cuts back inside because there simply isn't a viable option to cross to most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick look at some Cardiff forums - some realistic and balanced views in general. None of this we should be beating teams like Blackburn malarky.

Most admit that we out thought and outfought them - doing to them what they usually do to others. Let the CBs have it before pressing them into mistakes when playing it out.

They complained that Harris did not change things to cope with our tactical changes after the break which swung the game into our favour. Also complained that Harris should have made his subs much earlier than the last 15 minutes.

They were not happy with their CB Curtis Nelson - saying the young lad Samuel ran him ragged all night.

As an aside, Mendez-Laing was out for them due to his wife going into labour. This surely shows that players are instructed to plan babies for the off season. He was not held responsible for the defeat in the same way that some felt Lenihan was.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Can’t get relegated now at least 

Unless we manage to get a 12 point deduction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Dan Pike, Luke Brennan, Zak Gilsenan and D'Margio Wright-Phillips in the Under 18's all look very promising indeed. Could become very big players in the future.  True, equally. I COULD win the lottery tonight.

Joe Rankin-Costello proved yet again last night that he will be a very big player for us. John Buckley, Joe Rankin-Costello, Ryan Nyambe, Lewis Travis, Darragh Lenihan are all players who have played in our youth teams and are now in the first team.  JRC could become a decent Championship player for us - IMO, if he was going to become a 'big player' for us, he would be a 1st team regular now at the age of 21 this month.  Buckley another going on 21 to whom same comments as JRC apply.  Nyambe, Travis and Lenihan good Championship players but could they step up to the PL? - certainly, IMO, not top 8 PL material as evidenced by the fact they are still with Rovers.

If you do truly go and watch the 23's you'll see we have a pretty decent side, competing against some of the best in the country. Jack Vale is breaking through, Dan Butterworth is a baller and if he recovers from his injury will get first team game time soon, Joe Grayson can pass a ball really nicely and shows promise. I find it a very dower overview to say our academy is overrated.  Yep, I do go and see teams below 1st team level.  Big season for Vale coming up - if he is going to become a 'big player' for us then I expect him to force his way into 1st team next season and score goals.  Butterworth and Grayson, very much doubt they will become Championship players.

You say "I find it a very dower overview to say our academy is overrated".

Would suggest you need success criteria to measure your thoughts.

Who was the last 'big player' to emerge from our academy since Phil Jones over 10 years ago!?!?

I think we've only ever produced three 'ballers' (to quote you) -Duff, Dunn and Jones.

We have three regulars in our first team from Academy.  Lenihan, Travis (who was only introduced as Mowbray had run out of options!) and Nyambe who again only recently seems to have nailed down a spot as Mowbray seemed to think Bennett was a better option!!!

Sadly , IMO, we have a manager who seems reluctant to give our younger player a REAL chance.  Might be that most of them aren't really good enough but the only way you find out is by playing them...............Travis being the best example.  We lost Jack O'Connell, a very good PL centre back, and he was not given a chance - criminal was that.

So, all in all, I think the return from the Academy has been very, very average at best.  As a bare minimum, I think you should be producing at least one 'baller' every three years and a regular who breaks through to the 1st team every season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I don’t think it’s as much pressure on the team but caution from the manager.

When we really need a win we play a defensive approach, odd personnel, and never get going in games. Being kind, I think he overthinks his tactics to try to counter the opposition strengths. When there is no need to any caution (in the manager’s eyes) we play with much more freedoms. Rovers always look good when we play to our own strengths and look to hurt teams. Yes, we may win 3-2 but it’s better than losing but conceding less.

What I don’t understand is when we are safe from relegation - the first priority - why we don’t go for it. This is something Hughes made a point of (and I think Souness too). Get to the magic number and then go and play football like you want to win.

It all starts with a balanced team though. I use hope Mowbray has learned his lesson and we’ve seen the last time that Bennett starts. But I feel like I’ve said this before and he goes right back to his preferred list and we perform poorly again.

He's risk averse in my eyes he looks to not lose when he should just be looking to go out and win.  As a few have said we might have been lge 1 champions with that mentality Wigan clearly had it but we might also have blown it.  So understandable in a way but when your upper half of the championship in sniffing distance of the play offs there is simply nothing to lose.

Finish 6th great nobody expected it so it would be an achievement, finish 7/8 th unlucky big credit for the effort better luck next time. Finish 10th to 12 th well nobody cares but it's 'comfortable'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While not ballers in terms of being at PL level, I think from being promoted to the first team squad and becoming one of the best players in the first team squad within a season or two can only be deemed success. Lenihan, Travis and Nyambe certainly fall into that category. If Buckley and JRC and perhaps a few others follow suit in the next season or two - thats more success stories.

Lets not forget Raya who split opinion too - decent chance he might become what I always said he would a PL keeper one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JRC looks a good player but he isnt a left back. Where do people think he will end up?

I dont know what happened at half time but Johnson who I have given plenty of stick to came out like a different player and played with real determination.

Samuel too came out fired up. I still dont particularly rate him but he worked very hard last night and kept getting into good positions. You have to say he is more effective than Gallagher or brereton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

No false nine, no wide strikers, no square pegs in round holes and no baffling tactics. The players seemed to know their roles and positions. The result is a solid performance and win.

Hopefully Mowbray will at last realise that football really is a simple game.

But I sincerely doubt it.

He absolutely won't remember the poor start to the season then the revert to something more sensible and a winning run ?  So much so that we thought he'd been taking his pointers off here !

Soon as he could he changed it again and round in circles we went.  He's seems determined to try and pioneer something out of the norm and we are his experiment.  Either that or he just prefers trying to keep everyone happy in his squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No way does he attract a Premier League side for me, and if he did he would be back up. Never a Premier League player at this time.

Totally agree. A big strong boy and athletic but he's lacking in football ability for me and needs to improve a hell of a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.