BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Mercer said:

Crossing or shooting can be improved significantly with the appropriate drills in training.  You put the extra hours in and you reap the benefits.

Like a golfer who's weak at chipping around the green, with the right coaching and some hard graft you improve significantly - you may never be the best in the world but progress can be quite remarkable.

Nyambe has been doing extra training on his crossing as he said in LT interview previously. Has it improve?

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nyambe has been doing extra training on his crossing as he said in LT interview previously. Has it improve?

Will depend on how big the 'extra' is and how innovative our coaching team is.  If the drills are anything like our pre match sessions then, IMO, little wonder he's not improving.

Edited by Mercer

Just now, Mercer said:

Will depend on how big the 'extra' is and how innovative our coaching team is.  If the drills are anything like our pre match sessions then, IMO, little wonder he's not improving.

This is extra training after normal training sessions from his comments 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

This is extra training after normal training sessions from his comments 

I know Chaddy but how long do the extra sessions last and how frequent are they?

For these drills to be effective, you need to use a number of players to replicate 'real' match situations.

Beckham did many extra hours each week practising his free kicks.

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I know Chaddy but how long do the extra sessions last and how frequent are they?

For these drills to be effective, you need to use a number of players to replicate 'real' match situations.

Beckham did many extra hours each week practising his free kicks.

We used to play " centring and heading " for hours at night. I did the centring so crossing a ball was second nature, my heading was crap though.

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Imagine doing all that and Bennett still plays ahead of you with  no reason......bet the lad can't wait to feck off to a club that will value him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I think he was known as Church Birdy, as in Church near Accy. I went on the coach to Orient away, the game where Waggy got the first ever red card. Birdy supped a bottle of whisky (or something similar) and threw the empty bottle down the coach. It hit a lad on the back of the head, cutting his head open. We pulled in at a motorway services near Birmingham and an ambulance was called. We ended up getting to Orient at half time because of all this. That Birdy was an absolute nightmare and God help anyone getting on the wrong side of him. There were other antics from him on the coach and half the lads on it decided to make their own way back from London rather than risking a beating from him. The coach was half empty on the way back. I just kept my head down and I think by then Birdy was in a drunken stupor and just slept it off, thankfully.

I seem to recall that Birdy looked like a larger, more aggressive Noel Fielding ?

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I agree with most of that, but I'd still play Adarabioyo. He's the glue at the moment. 

I like him a lot, his use of the ball - last night aside - gets us on the front foot and defensively he's been pretty reliable too. But the next 2 games are about planning for next season, which is probably only what, 8 weeks away?

Unfortunately, Adarabioyo is unlikely to be part of that, so let's see what other CB partnership might show positive signs.

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I seem to recall that Birdy looked like a larger, more aggressive Noel Fielding ?

I hadn’t a clue who Noel Fielding is but now I’ve looked, the likeness is pretty good ?. After the Orient game, I never saw the guy again until one night on the Barbary Coast in Blackburn in the mid to late 80s. There was a group of us around town and Birdy was sat at the bar alone, can’t remember which pub. One of our lads was originally from Carlisle and a Carlisle United fan. A nice lad but loud, jovial and never knew when to shut up. As soon as I saw Birdy, I told this lad not to take the mick or say anything against the Rovers. He (our lad) thought it was funny and started mouthing off. I had to literally drag him away and spell it out to him in no uncertain terms..?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I think he was known as Church Birdy, as in Church near Accy. I went on the coach to Orient away, the game where Waggy got the first ever red card. Birdy supped a bottle of whisky (or something similar) and threw the empty bottle down the coach. It hit a lad on the back of the head, cutting his head open. We pulled in at a motorway services near Birmingham and an ambulance was called. We ended up getting to Orient at half time because of all this. That Birdy was an absolute nightmare and God help anyone getting on the wrong side of him. There were other antics from him on the coach and half the lads on it decided to make their own way back from London rather than risking a beating from him. The coach was half empty on the way back. I just kept my head down and I think by then Birdy was in a drunken stupor and just slept it off, thankfully.

I was on that coach too. I also remember him on the train back from Stoke once and on another coach to Spurs one New Years Eve. You'd certainly want him on your side that's for sure! I heard that he lived on Nuttall Street but don't know if that's correct. Is he still living? Ive never come across him since and that's about 40 years. (jeepers, that's scary)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I was on that coach too. I also remember him on the train back from Stoke once and on another coach to Spurs one New Years Eve. You'd certainly want him on your side that's for sure! I heard that he lived on Nuttall Street but don't know if that's correct. Is he still living? Ive never come across him since and that's about 40 years. (jeepers, that's scary)

He died a few years ago

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We used to play " centring and heading " for hours at night. I did the centring so crossing a ball was second nature, my heading was crap though.

Crossing and heading it was in the 80's then 3 and in.  We did the same every night wherever we could find suitable gateposts so we were usually in the middle of the ( b) road.

I was terrible at footy as a kid which was annoying because a couple of my mates were quite good, used to piss me right off.  Became quite good at crossing it and heading it because i just tried and tried and tried. By the time i was 18 i was a good header of the ball and could play right wing because i was quite quick but a bit lanky. That came about through just playing all the time doing what i could do over and over again because like i said when i was at school i'd fall over just trying to kick a ball.

Amazing how it just comes together eventually if you put in the graft. I was nowhere near pro standard so those who are have a decent head start.

Edited by tomphil

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Crossing and heading it was in the 80's then 3 and in.  We did the same every night wherever we could find suitable gateposts so we were usually in the middle of the ( b) road.

I was terrible at footy as a kid which was annoying because a couple of my mates were quite good, used to piss me right off.  Became quite good at crossing it and heading it because i just tried and tried and tried. By the time i was 18 i was a good header of the ball and could play right wing because i was quite quick but a bit lanky. That came about through just playing all the time doing what i could do over and over again because like i said when i was at school i'd fall over just trying to kick a ball.

Amazing how it just comes together eventually if you put in the graft. I was nowhere near pro standard so those who are have a decent head start.

That sounds a lot like me.

• Like 1

The ‘other Birdy’ became a Rangers fan (!) and was running a pub in Blackpool before he died.

I went in it with Ewood Blues before a Blackpool away game and it was wall to wall Rangers memorabilia, which obviously went down well with the Scottish hordes that come down every summer...

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

That's exactly it. Practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. You need to be able cross the ball in different ways. The driven cross, the floater, the chipped cross etc  they all have a purpose in the game. Two things you need to know, how to cross the ball - that's a skill, where to cross a ball - that's football intelligence. It's no good having one without the other. Being able to cross with either foot is a big asset also. When I was playing I was confident enough to take a corner with either foot off either wing depending on which way the wind was blowing etc.

However heading the ball was my weak point, I just never really enjoyed it. My best pal who was a top amateur centre half or centre forward, a sort of Chris Sutton style player, was a brilliant header of the ball. He wasn't particularly tall but he had a great spring, he could hang there, and he'd great control on his headers. Unfortunately he's got Parkinson's quite badly now and I wonder if the two are linked.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The ‘other Birdy’ became a Rangers fan (!) and was running a pub in Blackpool before he died.

I went in it with Ewood Blues before a Blackpool away game and it was wall to wall Rangers memorabilia, which obviously went down well with the Scottish hordes that come down every summer...

Half of them anyway.......

18 hours ago, Mercer said:

Nyambe has all the attributes to develop into a PL full back.

Disagree. Premier League Full Backs are practically wingers in 2020, and Nyambe can't shoot or cross or pass at a Premier League level. In fact in an attacking sense, he's average for the Championship. 

He has the strength, the pace and these days the defensive wherewith-all, but to say he has ALL the attributes is very optimistic for him. He can't create things moving forward, he's uncomfortable in the opposition half let alone their final third. There's only a very select few PL clubs who don't use high attacking wingers these days.

16 hours ago, Mercer said:

Crossing or shooting can be improved significantly with the appropriate drills in training.  You put the extra hours in and you reap the benefits.

And this statement seems very odd. How on earth can we know whether Ryan Nyambe has been doing crossing drills for two years or not? Tony Mowbray did an LT article last year claiming that Ryan spends a lot of time on the grass after training working on his delivery. 

The assumption that a move to a PL club would suddenly make him a great attacking football seems really interesting to me. 

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Disagree. Premier League Full Backs are practically wingers in 2020, and Nyambe can't shoot or cross or pass at a Premier League level. In fact in an attacking sense, he's average for the Championship. 

He has the strength, the pace and these days the defensive wherewith-all, but to say he has ALL the attributes is very optimistic for him. He can't create things moving forward, he's uncomfortable in the opposition half let alone their final third. There's only a very select few PL clubs who don't use high attacking wingers these days.

Well let's see where he ends up.

My view is he is capable of playing in the PL with the right support through good management and coaching.

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

And this statement seems very odd. How on earth can we know whether Ryan Nyambe has been doing crossing drills for two years or not? Tony Mowbray did an LT article last year claiming that Ryan spends a lot of time on the grass after training working on his delivery. 

The assumption that a move to a PL club would suddenly make him a great attacking football seems really interesting to me. 

Did I say 'a great attacking footballer in the PL' - no I didn't.

There is coaching and coaching and drills and drills.  IMO, Mowbray, Venus and Lowe will never get the best out of Nyambe.  I think better managers and coaches will.  Case in point Raya who, IMO, looks a far more confident and competent goalkeeper since he moved to Brentford.

22 hours ago, Mercer said:

There is coaching and coaching and drills and drills.

A complete stab in the dark. You don't know either way whether he works on those things or not.

Your point on Raya is very different and not at all comparable, our goalkeeping coach has never played pro football and is notoriously crap. I don't think the same can be said for our entire coaching set up. 

Lewis Travis must have been catching a lot of trains down to Brentford's training ground ;)