BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading at Home

16 minutes ago, bazza said:

Sorry CLB but what the heck IS a false 9? I remember when Don Revie played as a "deep-lying centre forward" for Manchester City. It was called "The Revie Plan".

Is that the same thing?

And I can't stand the term, "playing in the hole". Is that this false 9 thing again?

When I hear the term 'false 9' I basically equate it to 'number 10', 'playing in the hole', 'deep-lying centre forward', or even 'attacking midfielder' potentially, yeh. I dunno if it's meant to be exactly the same thing. But I do know it never seems to work for us.

I feel like maybe the term implies you play as a number 9, but frequently come deep to collect the ball. As opposed to some of those other terms, like 'playing in the hole', maybe meaning that you start a little deeper and surge forward, like Dack does. Like I say, it doesn't do us any favours whatever it is. If it is the way I defined it, it basically means when the striker drops off there is no focal point anymore and we are entirely reliant on the overlapping players surging forwards. Maybe why TM is so convinced by it, as in theory that suits 'wide strikers'. But I'd really prefer we just came up with a coherent, effective gameplan and stop pissing around.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

So it's the same as Revie Plan. The video never mentions Revie. Another false nine I saw play, then, was Florian Albert for Hungary against Brazil at Goodison Park in 1966 who kept dropping deep to collect the ball and then terrorising the Brazil defence. So now I know.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

What's on the line is his standing in India. Luton are fighting and will probably beat us, so this may be the last real chance to improve on last season's points total so he can claim some form of progress. I think at the very most we might see Davenport and Carter start, but more likely only one of them. The out-of-contracters and loan players will be just as likely to start as in any other game.

Even last season when we were safe but also un-promotable earlier than anyone else, we still didn't see a real switch in personnel until was it the last game or two? And I don't remember it being very dramatic. It's stupid because it really is the best opportunity you can get to test whether these kids might be ready. Instead we'll probably rely on some friendlies to gauge that.

In fact I took a look at the lineups at the end of last season. The extent of the changes and testing of youth was that Davenport and Chapman got to come off the bench in the last game, and Chapman the one before, and Brereton got a start in the game before that (and scored, and was then dropped), with Buckley and Butterworth off the bench. So I really wouldn't bother getting your hopes up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bazza said:

So it's the same as Revie Plan. The video never mentions Revie. Another false nine I saw play, then, was Florian Albert for Hungary against Brazil at Goodison Park in 1966 who kept dropping deep to collect the ball and then terrorising the Brazil defence. So now I know.

I was at Goodison that night as well. I went hoping to see Pele but he didn't play that night. Farkas scored a tremendous goal for Hungary. Albert would have been brilliant in todays football. The famous Hungarian team of the 50's were the first to play that system with Hidegkuti as the false No 9. England had no answer to it and lost 6-3 at home and 7-1 away to them. Don Revie got it from them. Not much is new in football in spite of what the " experts " try to tell you.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, bazza said:

I had to look it up!

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Sorry CLB but what the heck IS a false 9? I remember when Don Revie played as a "deep-lying centre forward" for Manchester City. It was called "The Revie Plan".

And I can't stand the term, "playing in the hole". Is that this false 9 thing again?

Yes, it’s been explained several times now (only just seen your post bazza) and I think the YouTube video covers everything. I have only seen it referenced on here recently but sort of worked it out.

Like you, I can’t stand the term ‘playing in the hole’. I know it can be explained but ‘in the hole’ doesn’t actually mean anything to me. I’m a bit old school, when I see a player with either a number 8 or 10 on his shirt (pretty rare, I know these days), I simply equate that to an inside forward. Think it’s an age thing. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

simple solution,stop ****** around with formations no one understands and play 4-4-2 with the second striker dropping back to find some space,it would suit dack or armstrong perfectly,system needs genuine wide players who track back so it`ll crash and burn if you put your centre forwards there?

But he sets out to stop the opposition because he's terrified of them and has such faith in his team that he just wants them to keep the ball as long as possible not lose it actually attacking.

Of course the odd formations also give him license to fit in his multitude of midfielders and forwards.

Apart from tomorrow when they set about Reading in the dead rubber and smash them. Next year is our year proclaim the facebookers !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

There is an old adage:.stand still and you go backwards...

I was wondering what would have happened in terms of dissent, if fans had been present at Wigan and Barnsley. I really don't know if the disillusion on line is felt by others outside my own family etc.

I think Waggott/Mowbray et al have had a very easy ride. It is hard to credit that one such as Bill Fox got booed. Little did we know!

• Like 3

I would imagine that with nothing to play for (although a win is a must for me :rover:) Bennett will not even make the bench today (he will though!), Davenport should start, Buckley will get 20 minutes and Chapman might get 10 minutes.

Rovers 2 (Armstrong, Brereton) Reading 2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Needs to give some game time to one or 2 of the young lads who might play more next season.

Davenport also needs to start.

They need to start not 'game time' which under Mowbray could be as little as ten minutes.

Give the lads a fair chance, play them from the start and let them get into the rhythm of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

They need to start not 'game time' which under Mowbray could be as little as ten minutes.

Give the lads a fair chance, play them from the start and let them get into the rhythm of the game.

True.

I did mean start but I can see it was worded badly.