BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading at Home

At least all those starters will be here next season, bar Walton. But can see the logic of keeping Walton in if giving Carter a start  though would prefer Hilton or Fisher on the bench over Leutwiler.

Would've preferred Davenport over Johnson too.

But genuinely pleased that Mowbray is using this game with an eye to next season, as I hoped he would.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GHR said:

Indeed - I don't think any of us are hoping that's the case, but given the relatively short turnaround before next season, Mowbray's allergy to the youth, the fact that if Brighton have kept even half an eye on him they'll not want him back, and the state of our transfer policy I do wonder.

This a joke? 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who is going to play left back? 

It could 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. Who knows. 

The fact that our formation is so unclear at this stage shows the confusion and lack of progress that Mowbray has made tactically in the last few months. No one knows what they are doing.

For me, the main youngsters that should be played should have been the ones for whom are closest and most likely to be first team contenders in their natural position.

For example, Rankin Costello should have started the last 2 games wide left. Downing is still in the squad so presuming that he might be knocking around next year. So stick him at left back. If not, put Thompson in. Chapman wide right. We have no competent wingers who have established themselves, put them 2 there and see what they can do in 2 starts.

Likewise, Davenport has impressed in cameos, why on earth has Johnson been picked over him? What can be learnt there?

• Like 1

I think that confirms to us that Samuel and Graham won’t be offered new contracts. No point playing Tosin as he won’t be here next season, good to see Carter come in instead. Let’s see what he can do. 

Looking forward to seeing Brereton too. I thought he was looking impressive before his suspension. 

9 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

This a joke? 

I was being slightly facetious, aye, we obviously have a very decent academy still and our starting line up and bench today is a testament to both that and the fact we do play them, I said it more out of the frustration that we haven't used these last few games to properly bleed in the youth (Johnson, Graham etc starting, but even something like Hilton or Fisher vice Jayson on the bench), plus Mowbray's previous with youngsters like Raya last year and Nyambe this week.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

If, as I fully expect, Graham does leave this summer, I really hope the club invites him back when we're all allowed back in so we can give him the send off he deserves.

Absolutely love the guy. My favourite player over the last few years.

i think if there was a crowd today graham would have played as his last game

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Is he still furloughed with a number of the Under-23 squad?

Surely not. Not when we’re paying Smallwood and Hart with contract extensions that are not needed?

10 minutes ago, GHR said:

I was being slightly facetious, aye, we obviously have a very decent academy still and our starting line up and bench today is a testament to both that and the fact we do play them, I said it more out of the frustration that we haven't used these last few games to properly bleed in the youth (Johnson, Graham etc starting, but even something like Hilton or Fisher vice Jayson on the bench), plus Mowbray's previous with youngsters like Raya last year and Nyambe this week.

Ah, no worries, I was completely baffled by that comment bearing in mind no other manager in our history has given youth players more debuts than Mowbray.

I completely understand your frustration. Me too, absolutely. But he couldn’t have begun to blood them in until today in any case because we were still in the hunt (mathematically capable) of getting into the playoffs until the Millwall game.

I would’ve started Davenport today, definitely. 

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The fact that our formation is so unclear at this stage shows the confusion and lack of progress that Mowbray has made tactically in the last few months. No one knows what they are doing.

For me, the main youngsters that should be played should have been the ones for whom are closest and most likely to be first team contenders in their natural position.

For example, Rankin Costello should have started the last 2 games wide left. Downing is still in the squad so presuming that he might be knocking around next year. So stick him at left back. If not, put Thompson in. Chapman wide right. We have no competent wingers who have established themselves, put them 2 there and see what they can do in 2 starts.

Likewise, Davenport has impressed in cameos, why on earth has Johnson been picked over him? What can be learnt there?

I don't see the problem with the formation personally. We have a number of different options and I see that a bonus. You dont. 

Is Still Downing going to be our next season? who knows? But he isn't a left back either. Rankin Costello has done very well there. 

We don't play with wingers under Mowbray. You even accept this point last night. 

I would have like to see Davenport in place of Johnson

14 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

Wonder why can’t Lewis Thompson be included as a natural LB. great to see Carter starting. Would have started Davenport and at least put Hilton on the bench

Can't Mowbray doesn't think he is ready for 1st team. wants to loan him out. 

That's what he told someone at the supporters consultation meeting