BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading at Home

• Backroom

According to sky sports stats, since the restart the opposition have had 36 shots on target and we have conceded 15 goals, we’ve let in 42% of shots on target, it’s really poor.

Ta ta and good luck Walton 

• Like 1

Hayden Carter- only one misplaced pass all game. His distribution looked at least as good as Tosin and you cannot say higher than that. Great debut.

Walton is the problem for me. All three goals for Reading were stoppable but he doesn't inspire and that is a contributing factor for defensive mess ups.

Yet again Rankin-Costello looks immensely promising all over the park.

Holtby and Rothwell both had great games.

Liked the look of all the subs and good to see Brereton and Gallagher on the score sheet.

If we have funds, a proper keeper and a proper manager please,

Luton's late winner going to make Wednesday fun.

Mowbray has to keep true to Armstrong Rothwell and Holtby who will relish running at a nervous defence. Chapman and Vale definitely deserve much more game time. Would be tempted to start Buckley ahead of johnson. Travis again outstanding.

• Like 2

Just now, philipl said:

Walton is the problem for me. All three goals for Reading were stoppable but he doesn't inspire and that is a contributing factor for defensive mess ups.

Lads out of his depth philip - needs replacing asap.

• Like 1

• Backroom

It's a shame for Walton as before lockdown he was playing fairly well, but post-Lockdown he has reverted to early season Walton and been a huge liability. He should not be coming back here next season I'm afraid. 

• Like 2

A thrilling game showcasing the best and worst of us. And ultimately goals and performances from individuals typically after when we needed them, but aided by a system that suits them.

Frighteningly feeble at the back. Start off with the absolutely hapless goalkeeper. The sooner he goes the better. Nyambe I dont think was at his absolute best. Nor Lenihan. Carter looked a little better but obviously not ideal to concede 3 v a shocking side om debut. Rankin Costello looks like he has something but hes not a left back or indeed a full back as we saw for their third goal even though the primary fault went to Travis. We need an overhaul (again) back there, left back, at least one centre back and a keeper and some bollocks, will we get it in this economic climate with this manager? I doubt it.

Travis wasnt at his best, at fault for a goal and sloppy on occasion. Johnson was ok, not the best on the ball but gavd us a bit of experience.

Beyond that, amidst a formation that suited the players, much more promise. Armstrong is undoubtedly the main one, he and Dack are the 2 first names on the teamsheet in those areas. Beyond that, Holtby is the next one youd go to. That role off the right suited him, constantly between the lines. Rothwell has picked up again, we needed more of this far more often but deserved his goal and assist. Chapman with a superb cameo showing what WINGERS can do, wonderful assist and the play to go on a run to set up Nyambe (until Gallagher blocked him) was sublime. Give him a start midweek. Buckley was ok too but should have gone for goal, Vale quiet but could have had a dream debut. Rankin Costello a big option further forward. We dont need to keep hold of Samuel and Graham.

And now to the 12m duo. Brereton much better, a performance similar to the Bolton one. Got a goal early, bright and involved although second half his end product was wrong a few times, couple of poor finishes and picked the wrong ball initially and then mishit the second one ruining a counter attack. Gallagher spent far too much time wide, Mowbray insisted no doubt. Then when hes between the sticks he scores a very good header. Never have him wide, but great to get a goal.

So we need some bloody consistency tactically and we need some reliability and solidity in net and in defence. I doubt we will get either. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I sent a text to my No2 son asking him if it was a good game - He said " Haha,  we made it hard work as usual. All the kids look great. A new manager and we could be contenders ".

Can you send him another text and ask him if he's been in the boozer all afternoon :P

Edited by Gav

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I could count on the fingers of one hand the top class saves he's made this season. With Raya you'd be on to about 15 to 20 by now.

This is true although it was a pretty feeble attempt for stokes goal today.  

An entertaining end of season affair which saw plenty promise from the younger players.  I thought young Carter did exceptionally well.  JRC looks good going forward considering that he's not a left back.  Buckley was very good when he came on both in movement and passing.  Armstrong looks better with every game and I suspect we'll do well to keep him during the window.  

If we have to rely on the younger players, I think Mowbray will be pleased with what he has seen today and will feel he has something to work with next season.  A sound goalkeeper, an experienced centre-back and a play-maker in midfield, if Downing goes, would be the additions I would be looking for.  We also need to replace Graham up front - not convinced by either Brereton or Gallagher as reliable goalscorers.  

However, I enjoyed today, enjoyed seeing the young lads given an opportunity and seeing them take it.  

• Like 7

Walton has had a few poor games and he can add this one to his list. Had enough time to sort his feet out and get over for their freekick and he's not the commanding keeper needed to aid poor defenders. Good to see BB & SG score.  Vale didn't do much will be encouraged by hitting the bar - what a finish that would have been!

If we have any money we need investment at the back with qualified experienced coaches.

From Rich Sharpe 

"Well done Joe, one goal, one assist, I've got that in my memory box" - Mowbray shouts to Rothwell as he leaves Ewood. Responds with a thumbs up.

From Andy Bayes

Tony Mowbray says Danny Graham could be involved for #rovers on Wednesday. But Adarabioyo & Samuel unlikely to feature. Sees it as a chance to look at other options.

• Like 1