BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading at Home

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

In the old days I'm sure these played together at some stage Bray Clayton England  Newton Wilson

All home grown

The best Rovers team I've ever seen had 8 homegrown players. Only Fred Else and Mike Harrison cost real fees. Fergie was a £2k steal as a kid from Accy when they folded.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I could count on the fingers of one hand the top class saves he's made this season. With Raya you'd be on to about 15 to 20 by now.

Exactly, Raya has a howler in him as do most keepers his age, yet he also has the ability to regularly pull off worldie saves - something that Walton doesnt. I stand by my opinion that we would ave been better off keeping Raya instead of selling him to cough up for SG. Mistakes get ironed out the older you get and Brentford know this. Raya could go on to have a good PL career now. 

• Like 7

Just now, Mattyblue said:

So if no Tosin, any reason why Walton should start on Wednesday? Not our player and let’s in a soft goal (or two) most weeks...

Absolutely. Get Hilton in and see whether we need one GK this summer or two.

As I posted earlier, this win as an inevitability - thanks lads, will keep my wine rack nicely stocked with my winnings!

Sadly, I couldn't watch the match due to work commitments.

However, delighted that Carter got a chance and seemed to impress.

Also delighted with Chapman's apparent 'cameo'.  Have been arguing on here for some time that this lad has real ability.  He just needs a bit of tlc and an opportunity to be let off the leash.  Hopefully, even Mowbray might have seen the light!

What seems absolutely clear is the need for a new goalkeeper.  IMO, Brighton's fourth choice is a dolloper who should have no place in our team.

Cheers! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The Hird, Fazackerly, Waddington, Bailey back four played together quite often in the 1977-78 season.

Hird and Bailey were a delight to watch as an attacking force as they ripped defences apart down their flanks.  Happy memories!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Tom said:

According to sky sports stats, since the restart the opposition have had 36 shots on target and we have conceded 15 goals, we’ve let in 42% of shots on target, it’s really poor.

Ta ta and good luck Walton 

Key stat this Walton is utter.. 

We need an experienced GK.. doenst have to be amazing ill be happy with solid after the tripe Walton has served up 

Walton seems completely uninterested since the restart, he was actually playing ok prior to that. Why I don't know, he should be desperate to save his career.

I think on Wednesday we will see Walton and probably also Graham play their last games for us. I'd love to keep Graham on in some capacity he's one of my favourite players in the last few years, however he could definitely have a season in league 1 to fire someone up.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gav said:

The entertainers - free flowing football, lots of goals, 3 points, what more can you ask for?

Seeing as you asked......For the players to put a shift in when it actually matters, A (different) manager to select the youngsters when it actually matters and a goalkeeper!

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Hird and Bailey were a delight to watch as an attacking force as they ripped defences apart down their flanks.  Happy memories!

i remember kevin hird from when my dad first started taking me to the footy,he used to fly up and down the wing,did`nt he go to leeds for big money??and then obviously an ignominious end to his career when he finished off playing for the dingles

• Like 1

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

A tighter defence!

We criticise our attackers a lot because of the amounts spent on them, but I think our defence is our real problem.

Our GD certainly backs that assumption. We've scored 64 goals which is more than every team above us (up to 4th) except Cardiff. Unfortunately we have conceded 60 which is more than anybody above us and more than a few teams below us as well. Last season we scored 64 (so if we score any on Weds we will have improved on that) and conceded 69 (unlikely at this point we'll do worse this season unless Luton beat us 10-0) so there has been improvement on both ends, just not enough to be serious challengers. We need to keep up the same level of scoring whilst conceding at least 5-10 goals less to have a realistic shot of the playoffs. It's not impossible by any means but could be difficult if we sell Nyambe or Lenihan (former seems more likely than the latter to me). 

Edited by DE.

6 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

A tighter defence!

We criticise our attackers a lot because of the amounts spent on them, but I think our defence is our real problem. Assuming no players leave in the next window, I would be lost for words if we invested any more in attackers while neglecting our defence.

Lenihan isn't afraid to get stuck in, but I think he has to maintain his position better in certain situations. It's been something that I've noticed on the radar for a while, and he reminds me a lot of Grant Hanley. That's being over-critical, as comparing him to Hanley means that he 's good enough for Rovers, but he was primarily at fault for Reading's second goal today. Reading's first goal was a great free-kick, but I feel as though Walton is becoming another Rovers punchbag if people are focusin on him being at fault for the second goal, whilst Darragh gets off scot-free.

JRC is not a left-back, but he's filled-in well, and I don't recall any (or many) defensive mistakes whilst he's come into the side. Bell did improve after the New Year, but it feels like he will never maintain that form, and I think a young non-left-back in JRC has sort of put him to shame in how to defend. Next season, and assuming that we sort out the left-back position with a Cunningham or similar, I'd like to see JRC as an impact sub for the attacking wide left position. He is clearly very comfortable at that end of the pitch, and he certainly has an air of quality about him.

I get the feeling that Nyambe's injury woes took hold of his game today. I don't think he was at fault for anything, but he didn't get forward as much as you'd expect today. I like him at RB, but it always feels like a case of how often he'll be playing. For all those saying that Bennett is Mowbray's biggest chum, let's remember that Benno doesn't get a look-in when Nyambe is fit these days. If Nyambe proves to be similarly injury-prone next season, I think we have a decision to make, as we cannot rely on players who are fit for just half a season or less.

Saving the best for last, I thought Carter was class today. We conceded three goals, but I don't see any one of those as Carter's immediate responsibility; he didn't put a foot wrong, and was extremely calm and collected on the ball. Given that we're in dead-rubber mode, I was quite glad to see us give Carter a chance instead of a loanee that will likely never set foot in Ewood as a Rovers player again, and I think he took it very well. He played under the radar, passed the ball very, very well, and I'd love to see him against Luton in a match that has more meaning (and will likely be more challenging).

Good result, and deserved, overall. Our defensive organisation needs sorting out, which is nothing new, as well as quite amazing given that Mowbray has been here for three and a half years, and while I might give him the benefit of the doubt that a fully-fit back four of Nyambe, Lenihan, Tosin, and Cunningham could have propelled us into the play-off spots, I think this coming season is his last chance (and a good one at that) to sort it out.

I agree with you about Lenihan's positional play. He's too easily drawn to the ball.  Phil Jones was the same as a young player and as far as I can see he's never grown out of it.

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

i remember kevin hird from when my dad first started taking me to the footy,he used to fly up and down the wing,did`nt he go to leeds for big money??and then obviously an ignominious end to his career when he finished off playing for the dingles

Yep, Hird went to Leeds for about £440,000 and Bailey went to Everton for about £300,000.  Forty+ years ago, those were sizeable fees.

An entertaining games today. To pick out some performances..

Brereton - took his goal well (poor defending) looked good In general play but missed 2 other good chances.

Rothwell - my MotM, a constant threat, drove at their defence and got a goal and an assist.

Carter - very steady debut. Didnt do much wrong defensively and kept it very simple with his passing.

JRC - looks good but I'm not sure yet where he ends up.

Buckley- there is such a good player in there. Needs to be more robust and more decisive In front of goal

Chapman- I've written him off bu looked bright and could be a width option off the bench

Holtby - best performance that I've seen from him

Gally- brave header more of that please

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, starscascade said:

Brereton is like a series of The Walking Dead, does nothing all season then the final couple of episodes ramps up!

He was brilliant against Bristol city on the restart to be honest. 

Need defensive reinforcements. Bailey Wright is a free and looks to have turned Sunderland down. Once cost Bristol a few million, Aussie international, tough rugid type centre back. Would love to see him signed up as he’s an actual leader too. 

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 1

An entertaining game but typical of an end of season dead rubber. I was pleasure see the young lads not only play but show plenty of promise. Several posters have been saying our future is bringing through the youngsters and I firmly believe that is the only way for us to go.

I wonder if our team that finished the game was the youngest ever to represent Rovers at first team level. Anybody know?

36 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Exactly, Raya has a howler in him as do most keepers his age, yet he also has the ability to regularly pull off worldie saves - something that Walton doesnt. I stand by my opinion that we would ave been better off keeping Raya instead of selling him to cough up for SG. Mistakes get ironed out the older you get and Brentford know this. Raya could go on to have a good PL career now. 

Brentford lost today, because of a Raya howler. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

He was playing in the East Lancs League circa 2000 for some godforsaken village team out Bonleh way.  Still class. 

As was that Brittain fella who played for the Dingles and Chelsea. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

27 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

A tighter defence!

We criticise our attackers a lot because of the amounts spent on them, but I think our defence is our real problem. Assuming no players leave in the next window, I would be lost for words if we invested any more in attackers while neglecting our defence.

Lenihan isn't afraid to get stuck in, but I think he has to maintain his position better in certain situations. It's been something that I've noticed on the radar for a while, and he reminds me a lot of Grant Hanley. That's being over-critical, as comparing him to Hanley means that he 's good enough for Rovers, but he was primarily at fault for Reading's second goal today. Reading's first goal was a great free-kick, but I feel as though Walton is becoming another Rovers punchbag if people are focusin on him being at fault for the second goal, whilst Darragh gets off scot-free.

JRC is not a left-back, but he's filled-in well, and I don't recall any (or many) defensive mistakes whilst he's come into the side. Bell did improve after the New Year, but it feels like he will never maintain that form, and I think a young non-left-back in JRC has sort of put him to shame in how to defend. Next season, and assuming that we sort out the left-back position with a Cunningham or similar, I'd like to see JRC as an impact sub for the attacking wide left position. He is clearly very comfortable at that end of the pitch, and he certainly has an air of quality about him.

I get the feeling that Nyambe's injury woes took hold of his game today. I don't think he was at fault for anything, but he didn't get forward as much as you'd expect today. I like him at RB, but it always feels like a case of how often he'll be playing. For all those saying that Bennett is Mowbray's biggest chum, let's remember that Benno doesn't get a look-in when Nyambe is fit these days. If Nyambe proves to be similarly injury-prone next season, I think we have a decision to make, as we cannot rely on players who are fit for just half a season or less.

Whilst I basically agree, I think before the lockdown (or at least before the Derby game!) we were close to cracking it. Mid-season we were racking up a very respectable number of clean sheets, and I think we definitely looked much more solid since last season, where soft goals and late goals dogged us.

Since then we've obviously been far too easy to score against, and we can put a quite a lot of that on Walton's shoulders but blame needs to be shared around too. Not just with the back four either, as impressive as Travis is, we would have conceded two less had he not lost the ball cheaply against Leeds and this afternoon.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

An entertaining end of season affair which saw plenty promise from the younger players.  I thought young Carter did exceptionally well.  JRC looks good going forward considering that he's not a left back.  Buckley was very good when he came on both in movement and passing.  Armstrong looks better with every game and I suspect we'll do well to keep him during the window.  

If we have to rely on the younger players, I think Mowbray will be pleased with what he has seen today and will feel he has something to work with next season.  A sound goalkeeper, an experienced centre-back and a play-maker in midfield, if Downing goes, would be the additions I would be looking for.  We also need to replace Graham up front - not convinced by either Brereton or Gallagher as reliable goalscorers.  

However, I enjoyed today, enjoyed seeing the young lads given an opportunity and seeing them take it.  

I think you're being very easily seduced by a slightly bolder selection and a bit more spirit in a dead rubber Parson.

• Like 1