BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading at Home

28 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I wouldn't use sarcasm when it doesn't back up your point, Brereton has only started back to back games twice in two years, Chapman has hardly been seen since signing 18 months ago, Nyambe invariably has to play second fiddle to Bennett, Travis was on his way out on loan before Smallwood got himself suspended, Wharton and Magloire can't get a chance, Buckley only gets cameos, JRC only got in as a result of an injury crisis.

Hahahahaha, that's always the funniest line.

It's like, "Yeah ok, Travis has grown and matured into one of the first names on the team sheet under Mowbray's leadership. But, let me try to invalidate that by somehow twisting it into TM being forced into playing him by that one suspension 18 months ago".

Edited by Tugay-is-God
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Darrenbot said:

Or you could put it another way and say his performances over the whole season are one of the reasons Brentford are in a position to be promoted and getting that £150 million.

I suppose a +43 goal diff could be largely down to a heroic keeper, but the fact remains that when West Brom handed them the keys to the promised land, a gaffe-prone keeper handed the keys straight back to the Baggies.

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I wouldn't use sarcasm when it doesn't back up your point, Brereton has only started back to back games twice in two years, Chapman has hardly been seen since signing 18 months ago, Nyambe invariably has to play second fiddle to Bennett, Travis was on his way out on loan before Smallwood got himself suspended, Wharton and Magloire can't get a chance, Buckley only gets cameos, JRC only got in as a result of an injury crisis.

That's an incredibly choice way of looking at it. You could just as easily say that he's given at least 8 debuts to academy players in his just over three seasons and our oldest player finishing the game today was 26. Neither account gives a proper reflection.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Many fans thought it was a sound decision by TM at the time. Reasonably enough, in my view, they assumed the replacement would be better and make fewer howlers.

I'd be surprised if most fans thought it was a sound decision. 

Getting a better replacement would've been hard for 3 million, let alone getting someone with more potential; offloading him was a pretty indefensible move in my book.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Many fans thought it was a sound decision by TM at the time. Reasonably enough, in my view, they assumed the replacement would be better and make fewer howlers.

I thought it was a poor value fee for the quality and potential he has... let’s see what Brentford get for him (I suppose, we’ll get a few crumbs of it as a sell on fee).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Amo said:

For a dodgy keeper, Brentford have the second best backline in the league.

We've conceded 24 goals more.

But stats don’t matter do they? We’ve beaten our previous clean sheet record (Including the seasons Raya starred in) and yet...our ever present keeper is crap, right? ??‍♂️

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

TM has given more debuts to young players than any other Rovers manager for as far back as records go.

32 minutes ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Hahahahaha, that's always the funniest line.

It's like, "Yeah ok, Travis has grown and matured into one of the first names on the team sheet under Mowbray's leadership. But, let me try to invalidate that by somehow twisting it into TM being forced into playing him by that one suspension 18 months ago".

Same same....just ruin their arguments by blaming Mowbray for everything bad that’s gone on and then claim that anything good is in spite of him. Makes no sense. 

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Right.

Fair enough. We can’t have it both ways though. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I thought it was a poor value fee for the quality and potential he has... let’s see what Brentford get for him (I suppose, we’ll get a few crumbs of it as a sell on fee).

The fee was a bit medium, all right. The bit about replacing him seemed sound enough to me at the time.He had made a number of serious errors. However, I get the sense that the original choice of replacement fell through at the 11th hour.

It certainly looks a bad outcome now.

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

But stats don’t matter do they? We’ve beaten our previous clean sheet record (Including the seasons Raya starred in) and yet...our ever present keeper is crap, right? ??‍♂️

Weve upgraded our centre back to a very capable one on loan from an aging one last year in Mulgrew last season who made numerous mistakes leading to goals. Walton has made errors leading to goals into double figures. And we have again conceded into the 60s.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

To be fair I hope the club are thinking about the integrity of the league. There are still some relegation issues to be resolved on Wednesday so I hope Tony Mowbray considers that in his selection.

I still haven’t forgiven Wagner at Huddersfield for allowing Birmingham to steal the points which ultimately saw us relegated.

I don’t think Hilton could play much worse than Walton since the restart.

I think he’s done pretty well over the season and his stats back that up but his heads gone since they came back. Been hopeless.

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

TM has given more debuts to young players than any other Rovers manager for as far back as records go.

Same same....just ruin their arguments by blaming Mowbray for everything bad that’s gone on and then claim that anything good is in spite of him. Makes no sense. 

Fair enough. We can’t have it both ways though. 

We can see what’s in front of us though, if you want to take stats the one I worked out earlier is That since the restart Walton has faced 36 shots on target and conceded 15 times.

So he’s let in 42% of shots on target in those 8 games, that’s shite.

He May one day become an ok keeper but he’s average at best currently 

I know I’ve said it before and it’s anecdotal evidence but I have severe doubts about Benny Ben Benson, I just don’t see how he can have the lived experiences to coach a young goalkeeper 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 8

2 new assists for Holtby, when not injured he's very high Championship quality. He needs to be involved more next season, although Dack also needs to get into that midfield, and we're already shipping too many goals. It's a bit of a puzzle, but I think Mowbray deserves the chance to keep laying it. As long as you end the season higher in the table than the season before (15th, as everyone no doubt remember) it takes something extraordinary to mark it as a failure, and the dud transfers of Brereton and Gallagher doesn't qualify for that IMO. 

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Weve upgraded our centre back to a very capable one on loan from an aging one last year in Mulgrew last season who made numerous mistakes leading to goals. Walton has made errors leading to goals into double figures. And we have again conceded into the 60s.

I think you’ve missed my point.

Just now, Commondore said:

2 new assists for Holtby, when not injured he's very high Championship quality. He needs to be involved more next season, although Dack also needs to get into that midfield, and we're already shipping too many goals. It's a bit of a puzzle, but I think Mowbray deserves the chance to keep laying it. As long as you end the season higher in the table than the season before (15th, as everyone no doubt remember) it takes something extraordinary to mark it as a failure, and the dud transfers of Brereton and Gallagher doesn't qualify for that IMO. 

There has been progress this season. I’m looking forward to seeing the development of JRC, Carter, Buckley, Vale, Butterworth etc.

But I do think the terrible form of Brereton and Gally are HUGE blots on Mowbrays copy book and if he can’t get a tune out of them I think it will be the manager undoing.

On a related note, today was the first time I’ve ever seen a real player in BB. Just hope this a sign of things to come. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I suppose a +43 goal diff could be largely down to a heroic keeper, but the fact remains that when West Brom handed them the keys to the promised land, a gaffe-prone keeper handed the keys straight back to the Baggies.

Maybe it's a +43 goal difference because hes a good keeper that stops shots going in at one end while theyre scoring at the other end,ever thought of that?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Commondore said:

Hotlby is one of several players that we have who has the ability to contribute to a successful team at this level, but to a certain extent relies on having the right players around him. Don't think he quite has the rounded game to be the main man consistently, but I can still see him having a better year next time round (and that's not to say that he hasn't had some good games this season). I feel similarly about Rothwell, although his season has obviously been more disappointing. I hope we have the budget to keep Downing, as having creative midfield options of a fully fit Dack, Holtby, Downing, Rothwell all competing for shirts with Buckley, JRC and hopefully Chapman, it will mean that this is the one area of the park where we won't need to worry about recruitment!

13 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

That's an incredibly choice way of looking at it. You could just as easily say that he's given at least 8 debuts to academy players in his just over three seasons and our oldest player finishing the game today was 26. Neither account gives a proper reflection.

I forgot about Davenport as well who's been here 2 seasons but who can't get a chance either.

TM will play the youngsters if there's no other choice but he doesn't appear to trust them.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I was never in favour and I'm guessing now we don't have the funds to bring in a decent permanent replacement.

53 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

A manager lives or dies by his decisions... well, managers at normal clubs do. 

• Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I forgot about Davenport as well who's been here 2 seasons but who can't get a chance either.

TM will play the youngsters if there's no other choice but he doesn't appear to trust them.

Come on now, Davenport's injury record at Rovers has been horrendous, most of those two years he was on the treatment table! 

Travis, Nyambe and Raya are all examples of players who became first team regulars in their v. early 20s under TM. Loads of others have played significant numbers of games at a similar age. Not saying there aren't legitimate gripes with his selection policy (I'd like to see more of Chapman, probably like most others on here) but I don't think the aversion to young players thing stands up at all to be honest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

To be fair he was playing on the right of the 3. 

Great goal but strengthen mowbrays resolve in playing him there

Like we've said before it works now and again. Somewhere in the ratio of 1 in 5-10

Not justified in many ways really just the law of averages.

• Like 2