BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading at Home

1 minute ago, Atko's Engine said:

Would've been great to see Vale hit that shot 6 inches lower to round things off.

Try half an inch!

That aside your post is exactly how I saw today. Can't over interpret an end-of-season dead rubber, but it was an enjoyable game nevertheless, and there were promising cameos from young players, some of whom will need to step up next year.

• Like 2

His appearance was brief but I can tell Vale has a bit of intelligence about his play, sweet strike aside (unlucky not to score) I feel like he picked up pockets of space really well which is usually a very good sign. I do think Buckley will end up being cream of the crop out of our youngsters, real football brain and good technique to boot.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Many fans thought it was a sound decision by TM at the time. Reasonably enough, in my view, they assumed the replacement would be better and make fewer howlers.

It's a bit like when  we thought we could get a more progressive manager than Allardyce and ended up with K***.

...Salgado and ended up with Orr.

Perhaps we should know better by now ??‍♂️

Got to admit I couldn't see much in Buckley when he first got into the team. However, the more I see the more he impresses me. Comfortable in possession, always looking forward, finds good space and always has his head up.

The lad really has a chance if he gets game time next year and stays clear of injury.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Got to admit I couldn't see much in Buckley when he first got into the team. However, the more I see the more he impresses me. Comfortable in possession, always looking forward, finds good space and always has his head up.

The lad really has a chance if he gets game time next year and stays clear of injury.

He is rated best of the lot. Brilliant mentality too. Needs to keep filling out. Will compliment Trav brilliantly in CM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Not that I’m particularly arsed about either of them, but the Williams and Bell situation was a bit odd. From memory they were ‘touch and go’ for the Bristol City game, didn’t make it and not seen since.

Good fuck em, both shite.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Hahahahaha, that's always the funniest line.

It's like, "Yeah ok, Travis has grown and matured into one of the first names on the team sheet under Mowbray's leadership. But, let me try to invalidate that by somehow twisting it into TM being forced into playing him by that one suspension 18 months ago".

To be fair, there was enormous demand on here for him to play long before Tony picked him. Let's not rewrite history.

The lad came in and made himself indispensable but that was only what most expected.

Bit too slow and over-cautious is Tony.

4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Completely agree - it's a good day when we win and there is a particular reason to take pleasure from it.

True true true! But its also true that when we win when it doesn't matter and we fail when it does.

Heart of the problem really.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

He is rated best of the lot. Brilliant mentality too. Needs to keep filling out. Will compliment Trav brilliantly in CM.

Not in a promoted team he won't.  Put him in with Travis next season as first choice and relegation is on the cards.

Our squad is either very young and not quite good enough yet, and very old but with quality....he needs to sign some men, 28/29, proven, and will add a bit of scrap.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

It's a bit like when  we thought we could get a more progressive manager than Allardyce and ended up with K***.

...Salgado and ended up with Orr.

Perhaps we should know better by now ??‍♂️

You are seriously comparing Mowbray and Allardyce?

Any arguments in favour of Mowbray rather than ‘there’s nobody else’?

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You are seriously comparing Mowbray and Allardyce?

Any arguments in favour of Mowbray rather than ‘there’s nobody else’?

In fairness, if Mowbray had taken over from Allardyce (or any half decent manager had) he would have comfortably kept us up as a steady Premier league team.

But that's exactly our problem now in this league, being a comfortable, steady team isn't quite enough, we need to push onto the next level. I don't hate Mowbray, I have a lot of time for him, I just feel our ambitions as fans don't quite match his.

The team/bench selection was very interesting yesterday though and most likely an indication that we won't spend a penny this summer. A few loans and then blood the youngsters, which I'm absolutely fine with by the way. He's actually done well in the loan market more so than his permanent signings.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rigger said:

It looked to me as if it went over the wall.

It went through at head height I thought. It was a good free kick but there wasn't a lot of pace on it. My first thought was " Raya would have got a hand to that ". Walton is one of the most leaden goalkeepers we've ever had. If it's not hit right at him it's a goal.

How did Rothwell get awarded that goal, I thought their guy headed Rothwell's shot into the far corner of the goal. A clear OG.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

4 hours ago, Ossydave said:

In fairness, if Mowbray had taken over from Allardyce (or any half decent manager had) he would have comfortably kept us up as a steady Premier league team.

Seeing Mowbray has a 21% win record in the PL, I'm not sure you can state this with any confidence.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not in a promoted team he won't.  Put him in with Travis next season as first choice and relegation is on the cards.

Our squad is either very young and not quite good enough yet, and very old but with quality....he needs to sign some men, 28/29, proven, and will add a bit of scrap.

Ready made players aged 28/29 are every promotion / success chasing managers dream. There’s a reason that we don’t sign them and that’s because they’re very expensive.

I agree, I wouldn’t expect us to challenge for promotion if the likes of Buckley, Carter and Vale feature heavily. That’s kinda what the managers eluded to in his interview. The club either, A - spend more money and increase the chances of going up or B - fill the holes in the squad with young lads: Carter for Tosin, Fisher and Hilton for Walton and Leutwiler, Buckley for Downing, Vale for Samuel etc..

If I’m honest, I don’t know which option I prefer. Obv I want us to go up but we can’t go on forever in this insolvent way. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It went through at head height I thought. It was a good free kick but there wasn't a lot of pace on it. My first thought was " Raya would have got a hand to that ". Walton is one of the most leaden goalkeepers we've ever had. If it's not hit right at him it's a goal.

How did Rothwell get awarded that goal, I thought their guy headed Rothwell's shot into the far corner of the goal. A clear OG.

All four players in the wall jump in the air, but at different times this causes JRC to be lower than Johnson the ball passes the wall above JRCs head

5 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Based on what? He's only ever managed 1 season in the Premier League and finished bottom

Just now, Ossydave said:

As I've just stated, the squad we had then it was harder to get bloody relegated than stay up!

But Mowbray has shown nothing in his career to suggest that he is capable of managing Premier League players. He had one season managing in the Premiership and finished bottom. He had an good squad of players at Celtic and failed badly. Mowbray is a mid table of the Championship manager. 

• Like 2