BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading at Home

15 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He is rated best of the lot. Brilliant mentality too. Needs to keep filling out. Will compliment Trav brilliantly in CM.

By who? Cant see him playing in CM, seems a player who is more at home further forward running at players and picking the ball up on the half turn. With Rothwell, Holtby, Dack, Rankin Costello, Chapman etc and hopefully a natural winger to come I would loan Buckley out.

58 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

But Mowbray has shown nothing in his career to suggest that he is capable of managing Premier League players. He had one season managing in the Premiership and finished bottom. He had an good squad of players at Celtic and failed badly. Mowbray is a mid table of the Championship manager. 

Didn't have enough to save us from League One either. 

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah Rothwell getting the goal was optimistic at best. I guess it was on target tho but that looked more like an attempted clearance rather than a deflection.

Happy for him tho

Agree. If you don't shoot you wont score. I'm glad Rothwell took his chance. There was a couple of opportunities for Brereton during the game to pull the trigger but he opted to pass instead, wish he had the confidence and be a little more selfish and take on those shots.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I deffo wouldn't be loaning Buckley out at all. Part of the 1st team squad all day long IMO

Is he going to get game time? Dack, Holtby, Brereton etc ahead of him centrally. Coming from the wider areas where he isnt really comfortable anyway, Rothwell, Holtby, Rankin Costello, Chapman all ahead of him.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is he going to get game time? Dack, Holtby, Brereton etc ahead of him centrally. Coming from the wider areas where he isnt really comfortable anyway, Rothwell, Holtby, Rankin Costello, Chapman all ahead of him.

Yes for me he will get the time whether as number 10 or playing next to Travis

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes for me he will get the time whether as number 10 or playing next to Travis

Hes far too lightweight to play in CM, plus seems more comfortable further forward. Is he the type to sit and pass? Seems more of a dribbler on the half turn.

Hes well down the line to play as a number 10.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Ready made players aged 28/29 are every promotion / success chasing managers dream. There’s a reason that we don’t sign them and that’s because they’re very expensive.

I agree, I wouldn’t expect us to challenge for promotion if the likes of Buckley, Carter and Vale feature heavily. That’s kinda what the managers eluded to in his interview. The club either, A - spend more money and increase the chances of going up or B - fill the holes in the squad with young lads: Carter for Tosin, Fisher and Hilton for Walton and Leutwiler, Buckley for Downing, Vale for Samuel etc..

If I’m honest, I don’t know which option I prefer. Obv I want us to go up but we can’t go on forever in this insolvent way. 

I agree with your remarks regarding the cost of ready made players but £12 million would have got us a top striker and a very good centre half.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes far too lightweight to play in CM, plus seems more comfortable further forward. Is he the type to sit and pass? Seems more of a dribbler on the half turn.

Hes well down the line to play as a number 10.

Like I have said. He's stay in the squad. We have no idea Dack will be here or back to his best. Plus if we play 4-2-3-1/4-2-2-2 formation then he will be needed. 

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with your remarks regarding the cost of ready made players but £12 million would have got us a top striker and a very good centre half.

Seems to me that the managers at Rovers aren't allowed to spread the cost on players.

One minute we're counting the pennies, next we're splashing £7-8m on the likes of Rhodes and Brereton.

The right agent whispers the right things and suddenly the purse strings loosen.

Edited by Amo
  • Like 1

On 18/07/2020 at 15:51, Exiled_Rover said:

JRC clearly isn't a fullback. He's just doing a job there - the fear is that he continues to look reasonably good there and Mowbray pencils him in as the answer at LB next season.

True but if he is he is still a better option there than Bell or Bennett

8 hours ago, Prelude said:

True but if he is he is still a better option there than Bell or Bennett

Correct, always play the best player for any certain position. Obviously buying a proven left back would be ideal, but financially we may not have that option.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

By who? Cant see him playing in CM, seems a player who is more at home further forward running at players and picking the ball up on the half turn. With Rothwell, Holtby, Dack, Rankin Costello, Chapman etc and hopefully a natural winger to come I would loan Buckley out.

By coaches. Buckley is an 8 (Up and downer) all day. They think he’ll control games. He’s only playing as a 10 because of his size and a loan won’t make him grow any.

I think he’ll play a lot next year and his ability to deal with the physicality of the league and / or budget will decide if that’s him starting or coming on in games.

Medium to long term, two of Rothwell, Davenport and Buckley off Trav in a three would mean we have the footballers to play a possession based game.

They seem to like this 3 up top with Dack as a false 9 and two of Brereton, Armstrong, Gallagher and maybe Vale? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

By coaches. Buckley is an 8 (Up and downer) all day. They think he’ll control games. He’s only playing as a 10 because of his size and a loan won’t make him grow any.

I think he’ll play a lot next year and his ability to deal with the physicality of the league and / or budget will decide if that’s him starting or coming on in games.

Medium to long term, two of Rothwell, Davenport and Buckley off Trav in a three would mean we have the footballers to play a possession based game.

They seem to like this 3 up top with Dack as a false 9 and two of Brereton, Armstrong, Gallagher and maybe Vale? 

Ossy Ardiles wasn't much bigger than a jockey but he could run the show all day long. Size helps but it doesn't trump ability if you have plenty of it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Agreed. But the full cost of the deal is the real focus here. Brereton and Gally were seven figure fees but their wages are in our structure and therefore FAR less than what the top players in the Champ are being paid.

I saw someone mention Bamford the other day at £7m. Aside from the problems he’s had there. The total cost, I’d say is prob around double. £2.5-3m a year on wages?

Im not defending Brereton and Gally btw who’ve both been poor. I just hope Sat is a sign of things to come. BB looked a really exciting prospect. Playing like that he’d play every week and scare the life out of teams. Gally wasn’t great but I was delighted to see him come from wide, rise high and steam into that header. He just needs to find a way to do it every week like Rudy did. It’s pretty impossible to stop once you get that right.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Ossy Ardiles wasn't much bigger than a jockey but he could run the show all day long. Size helps but it doesn't trump ability if you have plenty of it.

Good point. There have been a lot of brilliant, small players but Ardiles was one of the best ever! The key here is that in spite of his size, they are trying to play him. He just literally needs to grow into his body. Pretty much like BB seems to have done.

Buck isn’t never gonna be a big strapping lad but once he meets his potential physically I think he’ll have as big, if not bigger impact than Trav. He’s certainly a much better footballer than Trav anyway. Can’t wait to see them playing together.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Agreed. But the full cost of the deal is the real focus here. Brereton and Gally were seven figure fees but their wages are in our structure and therefore FAR less than what the top players in the Champ are being paid.

I saw someone mention Bamford the other day at £7m. Aside from the problems he’s had there. The total cost, I’d say is prob around double. £2.5-3m a year on wages?

Im not defending Brereton and Gally btw who’ve both been poor. I just hope Sat is a sign of things to come. BB looked a really exciting prospect. Playing like that he’d play every week and scare the life out of teams. Gally wasn’t great but I was delighted to see him come from wide, rise high and steam into that header. He just needs to find a way to do it every week like Rudy did. It’s pretty impossible to stop once you get that right.

If you've played up front yourself you'll know that without good service it's an arse kicking job. Not many strikers thrive without it. You need balls you can attack, balls that play to your strengths not your weaknesses. I think we've become used to the Dack-Graham method and we're finding the new method hard going in terms of creating good chances.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Rudy did it because he had Conway dropping cross after cross on his head.

Who is offering that service here? (Chapman aside, who I doubt we’ll ever see much of).

It’s a great point. I have been frustrated a few times with Gally where we’ve hung crosses up to the back post and he hasn’t been aggressive enough. Downing played a few in early in the season as did Johnson from a deeper role in those first 10 games when he was playing out of his skin. I also remember Cunningham putting some great crosses in.

Maybe Rothwell played on the left of a three in midfield Cutting back or Arma as a left forward could put more in to the back stick? A new LB with a wand would work?

Gallagher hasn’t been getting into those positions in general. When he has he’s often been a bit airy fairy instead of literally steam rolling defenders at 6ft 4/5in tall.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you've played up front yourself you'll know that without good service it's an arse kicking job. Not many strikers thrive without it. You need balls you can attack, balls that play to your strengths not your weaknesses. I think we've become used to the Dack-Graham method and we're finding the new method hard going.

I was never a forward tbh mate but absolutely agree. Though I do think had Gally been better positionally and more aggressive he would’ve easily got 15 goals this season. Let’s hope he’s turned the corner and we can fully transition to thIs possession based game ASAP 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

It’s a great point. I have been frustrated a few times with Gally where we’ve hung crosses up to the back post and he hasn’t been aggressive enough. Downing played a few in early in the season as did Johnson from a deeper role in those first 10 games when he was playing out of his skin. I also remember Cunningham putting some great crosses in.

Maybe Rothwell played on the left of a three in midfield Cutting back or Arma as a left forward could put more in to the back stick? A new LB with a wand would work?

Gallagher hasn’t been getting into those positions in general. When he has he’s often been a bit airy fairy instead of literally steam rolling defenders at 6ft 4/5in tall.

He definitely needs to show the same level of aggression he showed scoring the goal on Saturday more often.  You've got to be prepared to get hurt now and again. He's got the size.

• Like 1