Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not in a promoted team he won't.  Put him in with Travis next season as first choice and relegation is on the cards.

Our squad is either very young and not quite good enough yet, and very old but with quality....he needs to sign some men, 28/29, proven, and will add a bit of scrap.

Ready made players aged 28/29 are every promotion / success chasing managers dream. There’s a reason that we don’t sign them and that’s because they’re very expensive.

I agree, I wouldn’t expect us to challenge for promotion if the likes of Buckley, Carter and Vale feature heavily. That’s kinda what the managers eluded to in his interview. The club either, A - spend more money and increase the chances of going up or B - fill the holes in the squad with young lads: Carter for Tosin, Fisher and Hilton for Walton and Leutwiler, Buckley for Downing, Vale for Samuel etc..

If I’m honest, I don’t know which option I prefer. Obv I want us to go up but we can’t go on forever in this insolvent way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It went through at head height I thought. It was a good free kick but there wasn't a lot of pace on it. My first thought was " Raya would have got a hand to that ". Walton is one of the most leaden goalkeepers we've ever had. If it's not hit right at him it's a goal.

How did Rothwell get awarded that goal, I thought their guy headed Rothwell's shot into the far corner of the goal. A clear OG.

All four players in the wall jump in the air, but at different times this causes JRC to be lower than Johnson the ball passes the wall above JRCs head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Rothwell getting the goal was optimistic at best. I guess it was on target tho but that looked more like an attempted clearance rather than a deflection.

Happy for him tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amo said:

Seeing Mowbray has a 21% win record in the PL, I'm not sure you can state this with any confidence.

Seeing our squad then compared to West Broms, yes I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ossydave said:

In fairness, if Mowbray had taken over from Allardyce (or any half decent manager had) he would have comfortably kept us up as a steady Premier league team.

Based on what? He's only ever managed 1 season in the Premier League and finished bottom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Based on what? He's only ever managed 1 season in the Premier League and finished bottom

As I've just stated, the squad we had then it was harder to get bloody relegated than stay up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ossydave said:

As I've just stated, the squad we had then it was harder to get bloody relegated than stay up!

But Mowbray has shown nothing in his career to suggest that he is capable of managing Premier League players. He had one season managing in the Premiership and finished bottom. He had an good squad of players at Celtic and failed badly. Mowbray is a mid table of the Championship manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Seeing our squad then compared to West Broms, yes I can.

There is absolutely nothing to support this claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He is rated best of the lot. Brilliant mentality too. Needs to keep filling out. Will compliment Trav brilliantly in CM.

By who? Cant see him playing in CM, seems a player who is more at home further forward running at players and picking the ball up on the half turn. With Rothwell, Holtby, Dack, Rankin Costello, Chapman etc and hopefully a natural winger to come I would loan Buckley out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

But Mowbray has shown nothing in his career to suggest that he is capable of managing Premier League players. He had one season managing in the Premiership and finished bottom. He had an good squad of players at Celtic and failed badly. Mowbray is a mid table of the Championship manager. 

Didn't have enough to save us from League One either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah Rothwell getting the goal was optimistic at best. I guess it was on target tho but that looked more like an attempted clearance rather than a deflection.

Happy for him tho

Agree. If you don't shoot you wont score. I'm glad Rothwell took his chance. There was a couple of opportunities for Brereton during the game to pull the trigger but he opted to pass instead, wish he had the confidence and be a little more selfish and take on those shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I deffo wouldn't be loaning Buckley out at all. Part of the 1st team squad all day long IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I deffo wouldn't be loaning Buckley out at all. Part of the 1st team squad all day long IMO

Physically not up to the Championship yet. Send him out on loan and let him get used to the physicality of men's football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I deffo wouldn't be loaning Buckley out at all. Part of the 1st team squad all day long IMO

Is he going to get game time? Dack, Holtby, Brereton etc ahead of him centrally. Coming from the wider areas where he isnt really comfortable anyway, Rothwell, Holtby, Rankin Costello, Chapman all ahead of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is he going to get game time? Dack, Holtby, Brereton etc ahead of him centrally. Coming from the wider areas where he isnt really comfortable anyway, Rothwell, Holtby, Rankin Costello, Chapman all ahead of him.

Yes for me he will get the time whether as number 10 or playing next to Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes for me he will get the time whether as number 10 or playing next to Travis

Hes far too lightweight to play in CM, plus seems more comfortable further forward. Is he the type to sit and pass? Seems more of a dribbler on the half turn.

Hes well down the line to play as a number 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Ready made players aged 28/29 are every promotion / success chasing managers dream. There’s a reason that we don’t sign them and that’s because they’re very expensive.

I agree, I wouldn’t expect us to challenge for promotion if the likes of Buckley, Carter and Vale feature heavily. That’s kinda what the managers eluded to in his interview. The club either, A - spend more money and increase the chances of going up or B - fill the holes in the squad with young lads: Carter for Tosin, Fisher and Hilton for Walton and Leutwiler, Buckley for Downing, Vale for Samuel etc..

If I’m honest, I don’t know which option I prefer. Obv I want us to go up but we can’t go on forever in this insolvent way. 

I agree with your remarks regarding the cost of ready made players but £12 million would have got us a top striker and a very good centre half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes far too lightweight to play in CM, plus seems more comfortable further forward. Is he the type to sit and pass? Seems more of a dribbler on the half turn.

Hes well down the line to play as a number 10.

Like I have said. He's stay in the squad. We have no idea Dack will be here or back to his best. Plus if we play 4-2-3-1/4-2-2-2 formation then he will be needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with your remarks regarding the cost of ready made players but £12 million would have got us a top striker and a very good centre half.

Seems to me that the managers at Rovers aren't allowed to spread the cost on players.

One minute we're counting the pennies, next we're splashing £7-8m on the likes of Rhodes and Brereton.

The right agent whispers the right things and suddenly the purse strings loosen.

Edited by Amo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2020 at 15:51, Exiled_Rover said:

JRC clearly isn't a fullback. He's just doing a job there - the fear is that he continues to look reasonably good there and Mowbray pencils him in as the answer at LB next season.

True but if he is he is still a better option there than Bell or Bennett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Prelude said:

True but if he is he is still a better option there than Bell or Bennett

Correct, always play the best player for any certain position. Obviously buying a proven left back would be ideal, but financially we may not have that option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

By who? Cant see him playing in CM, seems a player who is more at home further forward running at players and picking the ball up on the half turn. With Rothwell, Holtby, Dack, Rankin Costello, Chapman etc and hopefully a natural winger to come I would loan Buckley out.

By coaches. Buckley is an 8 (Up and downer) all day. They think he’ll control games. He’s only playing as a 10 because of his size and a loan won’t make him grow any.

I think he’ll play a lot next year and his ability to deal with the physicality of the league and / or budget will decide if that’s him starting or coming on in games.

Medium to long term, two of Rothwell, Davenport and Buckley off Trav in a three would mean we have the footballers to play a possession based game.

They seem to like this 3 up top with Dack as a false 9 and two of Brereton, Armstrong, Gallagher and maybe Vale? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don’t know what JRC’s best position is. TM seems to talk about him as a left side forward a lot? Coming in off the touch line and getting into the box?

Whats his goal scoring record like at youth level?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

By coaches. Buckley is an 8 (Up and downer) all day. They think he’ll control games. He’s only playing as a 10 because of his size and a loan won’t make him grow any.

I think he’ll play a lot next year and his ability to deal with the physicality of the league and / or budget will decide if that’s him starting or coming on in games.

Medium to long term, two of Rothwell, Davenport and Buckley off Trav in a three would mean we have the footballers to play a possession based game.

They seem to like this 3 up top with Dack as a false 9 and two of Brereton, Armstrong, Gallagher and maybe Vale? 

 

Ossy Ardiles wasn't much bigger than a jockey but he could run the show all day long. Size helps but it doesn't trump ability if you have plenty of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with your remarks regarding the cost of ready made players but £12 million would have got us a top striker and a very good centre half.

Agreed. But the full cost of the deal is the real focus here. Brereton and Gally were seven figure fees but their wages are in our structure and therefore FAR less than what the top players in the Champ are being paid.

I saw someone mention Bamford the other day at £7m. Aside from the problems he’s had there. The total cost, I’d say is prob around double. £2.5-3m a year on wages?

Im not defending Brereton and Gally btw who’ve both been poor. I just hope Sat is a sign of things to come. BB looked a really exciting prospect. Playing like that he’d play every week and scare the life out of teams. Gally wasn’t great but I was delighted to see him come from wide, rise high and steam into that header. He just needs to find a way to do it every week like Rudy did. It’s pretty impossible to stop once you get that right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.