BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Elliott Bennett/Captaincy

Oh cry me a river. Man gets paid thousands to be crap at his job. He gets a few pelters on twitter and suddenly the club shills and ballwashers are out in force to detract from another non-performance.

• Like 1

proves what a shambles of a club we are when the manager bases the team around a journeyman who is`nt good enough for this level,obviously massive nepotism/favouritism going on,mowbray got rid of lowe and akpan because they wer`nt good enough,bennett is on a par with those two and yet he`s the bleedin captain and automatic pick??,ya canna make it up

• Like 1

So not for the first time people post tweets critical of Bennett’s performance and he finds out. Tweets start flying. He gets defensive. Everything is reimagined as him receiving abuse. The ludicrous messages of support start (I’ve just seen someone tweet him telling him he is one of our best ever signings), anyone suggesting he doesn’t possess as much ability as prime Pele is piled on by the masses, who are in the main hypocrites who have no problem slating Rovers players who don’t have a social media presence.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

End of the day if a footballer posts the usual ‘we go again’ after a stinker of a performance they are going to get pelters. Not nice, and of course would anyone say anything to his face? But unfortunately that’s the nature of the beast. It’s a cesspit of cranks and trolls, what does he think will happen?

He knew it, but posted the platitude anyway, but he also knew he’d get the ‘I apologise for all the scumbags, love you Benno’, ‘you’ve been a major part of our transformation back into that mid table Championship club we’ve been for a decade’.

All a bit of a  pathetic spectacle all round, but people need those serotonin inducing ‘likes’...

Oh and as for Myers, his ongoing doling out of patronising advice to fans of little old Rovers is wearing very thin.

Sick of the player sound bites I want them banned of social media to much pontificating! Get in with the job your paid to do!

Wasn’t  Myers engulfed in shall I say extra activities? Wasn’t he also the one who originally interviewed the raos on before premier relegation and hence how they struck up a friend ship?

14 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Sick of the player sound bites I want them banned of social media to much pontificating! Get in with the job your paid to do!

Wasn’t  Myers engulfed in shall I say extra activities? Wasn’t he also the one who originally interviewed the raos on before premier relegation and hence how they struck up a friend ship?

What were the activities? I’ve seen this hinted at before but I’ve no idea what they were!

• Backroom
30 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Alan was in Pune when the team were there during his Sky Sports days 

10 hours ago, DE. said:

Bennett's versatility is, from my perspective, a myth. He has been played in numerous positions but how many of them does he look decent in? Any player could be deemed "versatile" if they were played all over the pitch regardless of performance.

No, I think Elliott is definitely your man if versatility is what you are looking for. 

Midfield, defence or attack, Bennett will be reliably and equally inept in all of 'em.

You can count on him for that.

• Like 5

How have we got Graham leaving and Bennettt staying...?

I remember Dean Saunders once saying

" there's always a certain player at clubs,  first in training, last out, great character, nice lad, hard to drop, etc...they are the ones that get you sacked"

Not at this club though....its like a feckin old boys club where everyone is unsackable.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 6

For me the obvious issues with Benno aside (inept at full back, not much better in any other position given his advancing years, etc.), the galling thing is that as captain he’s meant to be leading the team on the pitch. How often do you see him barking orders, berating the ref or dragging the performances of those around him up?

Regardless of his ability or performance levels, as captain if he’s doing those types of things then his other shortcomings could be forgiven (to a certain extent), but for me he just doesn’t offer anything. He’s not inspiring his teammates to run through brick walls for him by any stretch of the imagination.

It’s a shame as he does come across as caring about the club and fans, and seems like a genuinely nice person but in TM bafflingly picking him regularly it’s obvious to most outsiders that it’s to the detriment of the team and is doing the player himself no favours. As others have said though you could almost bet your house on him starting at right back in the first game of next season...

• Like 2

For me the biggest problem with Bennett is the captaincy. If I remember correctly, when Mulgrew was shipped down the M6, the other players voted on a new captain didn’t they?

I don’t speak for anyone else, but I know for a fact if I was to vote who I’d want as my team leader at work, I wouldn’t be voting for the person who makes my life most difficult & demands the most out of me.

It should never have been the players’ decision who was temporary captain, that was doomed from the very start. They picked their mate.

What’s more worrying is the fact that TM didn’t have the conviction to make the decision himself!

If (and no doubt when) both TM & EB are still around on match day one next season, we will be regressing further.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The vast majority of people if not all are blaming Mowbray for it, so not sure what you mean by this?

It was a very mild tempered post not aimed at anybody on this forum. I started with "I do feel bad for". Not trying to "get at" anything or anyone. Reading way too much into that.

Luckily I agree, most people do seem to understand that a player can only play to the best of their ability, and it isn't their fault if they're continuously chosen ahead of other players in the squad by the manager. It doesn't mean that online, in the stands or out on the streets that supporters don't share the opposite view, which they do. Some have absolutely berated him, whether on here, on Twitter or just in normal talk in person - and I find it odd. 

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

End of the day if a footballer posts the usual ‘we go again’ after a stinker of a performance they are going to get pelters. Not nice, and of course would anyone say anything to his face? But unfortunately that’s the nature of the beast. It’s a cesspit of cranks and trolls, what does he think will happen?

He knew it, but posted the platitude anyway, but he also knew he’d get the ‘I apologise for all the scumbags, love you Benno’, ‘you’ve been a major part of our transformation back into that mid table Championship club we’ve been for a decade’.

All a bit of a  pathetic spectacle all round, but people need those serotonin inducing ‘likes’...

Oh and as for Myers, his ongoing doling out of patronising advice to fans of little old Rovers is wearing very thin.

Re Myers, I could not agree more. I am sick to death of his general narrative that Rovers fans should somehow accept the dumbing down of the club and just "move on". A patronising pain in the arse!!

But -and here I own some inconsistency-I am very uncomfortable with the targeting of Bennett. All I have seen is a thoroughly decent bloke, who has agreed to his manager's repeated (misguided?) requests to play in a position well outside his comfort zone. I also feel that the justified dissatisfaction with our current "progress" is in danger of being channeled into scapegoating a classic, club man.

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It was a very mild tempered post not aimed at anybody on this forum. I started with "I do feel bad for". Not trying to "get at" anything or anyone. Reading way too much into that.

Luckily I agree, most people do seem to understand that a player can only play to the best of their ability, and it isn't their fault if they're continuously chosen ahead of other players in the squad by the manager. It doesn't mean that online, in the stands or out on the streets that supporters don't share the opposite view, which they do. Some have absolutely berated him, whether on here, on Twitter or just in normal talk in person - and I find it odd. 

I cant say ive seen anything on here that has made me "feel bad for" Bennett at all. Nothing for example that was any more critical than your fairly regular criticism of Chapman even when hes not playing and Gallagher when he is. 

Not that I have a problem with that by the way. If you feel that the inclusion of a player especially in a specifically uncomfortable position reduces our chances of winning, youve come to the right place on an internet messageboard to state it. And even though you havent specifically stated as such, just as in the Bennett criticisms (although most people do centre their arguments about why Mowbray keeps picking him) there is still that assertion that the criticism is of the manager.

Its people directly tweeting him whereby I just dont get it at all. Then again as @Mattyblue pointed out maybe everyone gets something out of that. Bennett gets his ego stroked by the majority charging in and telling him how great he is, they in turn get the likes they crave and those who have nothing better to do than angrily tweet footballers get to vent. All very bizarre but it all works out in the end! 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Its people directly tweeting him whereby I just dont get it at all. Then again as @Mattyblue pointed out maybe everyone gets something out of that. Bennett gets his ego stroked by the majority charging in and telling him how great he is, they in turn get the likes they crave and those who have nothing better to do than angrily tweet footballers get to vent. All very bizarre but it all works out in the end! 

That's true of Twitter in a general nutshell, from football supporters and the players on their team, to politics and discussion about COVID-19, nobody is trying to win an argument or convince someone to change their mind - everyone's trying to further their bubble and get some admiration in the form of a notification.

3 hours ago, CheshireRover said:

For me the biggest problem with Bennett is the captaincy. If I remember correctly, when Mulgrew was shipped down the M6, the other players voted on a new captain didn’t they?

I don’t speak for anyone else, but I know for a fact if I was to vote who I’d want as my team leader at work, I wouldn’t be voting for the person who makes my life most difficult & demands the most out of me.

It should never have been the players’ decision who was temporary captain, that was doomed from the very start. They picked their mate.

What’s more worrying is the fact that TM didn’t have the conviction to make the decision himself!

If (and no doubt when) both TM & EB are still around on match day one next season, we will be regressing further.

That's how it seems he operates though like he's frightened of some of them or their influence at least so he lets it go. 

11 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

How have we got Graham leaving and Bennettt staying...?

I remember Dean Saunders once saying

" there's always a certain player at clubs,  first in training, last out, great character, nice lad, hard to drop, etc...they are the ones that get you sacked"

Not at this club though....its like a feckin old boys club where everyone is unsackable.

Good quote

EB seems like a nice enough bloke and I do admire his openness & honestly on Twitter. However he is patiently not good enough for a promotion aspiring team in any position. One could easily argue that he didn't even particularly stand out in league 1 either.

This RN/EB debacle was the final straw for me with TM, who I've generally been very supportive of. Dropping our best right back to shoe horn the useless club captain into the team on a pretext of 'understanding the game/system' waffle (what was that? Loose and don't have a shot on target?) is one step too far. Get rid of the pair of them.

Well said, bennett contributes newt, just a brown noser who gets picked for being that just like Lowe, no quality just running round like a headless chicken 

Goes to show borebrays weak management, he renewed them contracts for players who are leaving until after the luton game why ? They ain't playing they know they ain't gonna be here so why would they care anyway? Just a waste of a wage 

Bennett needs to be moved on straight away and I doubt he ain't one of the highest payed players, would rather give a youth player a chance who had something to prove and will bring something to the table than him, smallwood and co, I've always said I would rather the bench be filled with upcoming stars than crap deadwood journeyman 

Bennett can't head, pass, cross or shoot he's utter garbage 

• Like 1

Will say I think EB is a genuinely nice bloke in a sport dominated increasingly my egos and mercenaries. I'll criticise him with the rest of us on here but replying to him just to tell him he's dreadful is too personal - you have to separate the individual from their job (however poorly executed). That, and you also end up with absolute belters wading in telling us he's the Second Coming. Funnily enough, these people never seem to be about when someone else gets torn a new one - see the replies on our Twitter timeline when Gallagher or Brereton make a hash of something. The former got annihilated when that chance v. Leeds went begging.

One thing that does rile me is some of those who leap to the defence of the present set up (in all its guises) to tell us to keep quiet and just support the team. The greatest disrespect you can have towards anything is to not have standards for it: just keeping quiet and nodding along with everything is piss weak indifference, not support. I get annoyed at a hell of a lot of things with this club and a hell of a lot of those on the field playing for us, but that isn't me giving it large, it's because I care so much.

• Like 5