BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Elliott Bennett/Captaincy

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I wouldn't mind if he was industrious - someone with energy you can bring on with 15 minutes to go in midfield who shuts things down.

He can't even do that these days. He's playing at least a level too high. 

Your first sentence is what I think he could do, if used correctly. Not as a full-back!

• 2 months later...

I see that Bennett has done another very well received (and deservedly so) interview today. I have to say that he has always come across as such a good role model, totally deidcated, a brilliant professional, a hard worker and a credit to the club.

It does show the fickleness of football too. Playing devils advocate, if he wasnt such a good bloke, he would be criticised for sitting on a contract with little chance of playing like Mulgrew when they both offer equally nothing on the pitch anymore.

The question would be, can we afford a player as a high earner offering only off the field input considering FFP etc? I suppose a potential unwillingness to have that drive and ambition to move on, and play every week, which I dont in anyway judge negatively, makes that hypothetical. As a full back, well out of his depth even as back up. Once did a job in midfield against Shrewsbury which people cling on to, but ultimately even in League 1 that had no longevity and even Smallwood is a better CM and he has long since been left behind. And he offers nothing out wide. But he could be key off the field as a mentor if he is happy to do that and then part ways in the summer ideally in a blaze of glory and with a deserved send off.

• Like 1

He'll get used and play his part as always and if a player is doing that then his contract is justified.  Only issue as far as he goes is the manager leaving someone out or jumbling things around so as to involve him.  

Other than that i don't see a Smallwood or Mulgrew situation as i think if he's not involved and told he won't be this lad would sort some kind of move out. 

Edited by tomphil

21 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Always come across as genuine. Lot of haters on here but he's always given his all in Rovers shirt and he's better than people give him credit for. A big part of L1 success and our first season back up. Bit of a cult hero of mine?

Absolutely no one hates him on a personal level, his character is not one that can be questioned. It is possible to like him as a person/role model but not think he is capable from a footballing perspective.

• Moderation Lead

Absolutely no denying he’s a nice lad and he’s well liked around the place. 
The thing is though, our best eleven simply doesn’t contain him and quite honestly hasn’t done for a while. Can’t fault his attitude though!

• Like 1

There is no indication that Mulgrew or Smallwood have been anything other than professional whilst they themselves have spent the end of their contracts (ongoing in Mulgrews case) out of the team to be fair either. Indeed Mowbray has publically praised both for their attitude and hasnt stuck them with the kids.

• Like 1

I do sometimes wonder whether people realise how clubs at Championship level actually work. It's not the PL where there can be two superstars for every position. 

Some of the same people who want Bennett evicted from Rovers asap also complain about the lack of strength in depth at CM and full back.

He is the cover. His clear affection for the club can't be bought or loaned in as a replacement, you need the Bennetts (and previously Smallwoods) in the squad, if not on the pitch. 

Also, what about 11 v 11 training - for the first team to succeed it's really important that the likes of Bennett (and previously Smallwood) are in that mix. Just chucking in some kids to make 22 players doesn't work at this level. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

I do sometimes wonder whether people realise how clubs at Championship level actually work. It's not the PL where there can be two superstars for every position. 

Some of the same people who want Bennett evicted from Rovers asap also complain about the lack of strength in depth at CM and full back.

He is the cover. His clear affection for the club can't be bought or loaned in as a replacement, you need the Bennetts (and previously Smallwoods) in the squad, if not on the pitch. 

Also, what about 11 v 11 training - for the first team to succeed it's really important that the likes of Bennett (and previously Smallwood) are in that mix. Just chucking in some kids to make 22 players doesn't work at this level. 

But thats the point, he doesnt offer competent cover. He is a liability at full back, diving in and giving penalties away and we now have Nyambe and Rankin Costello ahead of him on the right and soon to be Douglas, Bell and Williams on the left. He couldnt maintain a midfield position in League 1 whereas Smallwood could, and we now have Johnson, Evans, Travis, Holtby, Rothwell, maybe Dack, Davenport and Buckley in central midfield. The "two superstars in every position" like a PL club is a strawman argument, but I personally would suggest that IMO he would warrant a place in the second team. No shame in that, like a few before he played a key role in making effort a minimum and has been left behind in quality.

You make it sound like Smallwood was tactically kept around to take part in 11 v 11 training. Ultimately a club in the Championship surely struggles to afford such a luxury, a senior wage for a player to make up the numbers in training.

His personality again has never nor ever will be questioned. His passion is not a unique trait, I dont think that the current squad lacks that at all nor does it warrant a senior wage alone. Ultimately seemingly no one has shown interest in him and he seems happy playing a father figure and I am sure he will continue to be an exemplary professional who hopefully wont be needed on the pitch.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

1. Its the same thing. Benno is the lack of depth..what are you on about?

2. Seriously we don't need Bennet or Smallwood on the pitch....Lewis does that job well and we need flair to complement (holtby, rothwell etc)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

He is the cover. His clear affection for the club can't be bought 

I'd be eternally grateful to a Club that kept giving me new contracts even though I'd been crap ever since I joined (with the exception of a handful of games in a lower division) as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

2. Seriously we don't need Bennet or Smallwood on the pitch...

This.

Surely no-one would like to see Bennett filling in  either full back position, if we sign a new LB I'd rather have Bell in reserve and if Nyambe gets injured I'd rather see JRC deputise. Who in their right mind would start him in central midfield either?

You might be able to make a case out that we need one of either Evans or Bennett as cover in the event of further injuries whilst Travis is out but even then I certainly don't think you need them both.

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

This.

Surely no-one would like to see Bennett filling in  either full back position, if we sign a new LB I'd rather have Bell in reserve and if Nyambe gets injured I'd rather see JRC deputise. Who in their right mind would start him in central midfield either?

You might be able to make a case out that we need one of either Evans or Bennett as cover in the event of further injuries whilst Travis is out but even then I certainly don't think you need them both.

Nobody would chose to have Rovers players injured suspended or sent off.

But when as we inevitably will get reduced to ten, Bennett would be my go to sub.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

There is no indication that Mulgrew or Smallwood have been anything other than professional whilst they themselves have spent the end of their contracts (ongoing in Mulgrews case) out of the team to be fair either. Indeed Mowbray has publically praised both for their attitude and hasnt stuck them with the kids.

This Mulgrew?

Your response to the above tweet in the Mulgrew thread "Bit petty but wont change my opinion of him which is a very fond one for what he has done for us"

If that was Bennett tweeting that you'd be going mental. Luckily Bennett is far more professional than Mulgrew. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

• Backroom

He’s a class act, remember when him and Nyambe were trading places at right back, he was always bigging up Nyambe on Twitter.

Recently seen giving Dolan a pep talk before kick off, you can see how the young lads respect and relate to him 

• Like 3