BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town away

Broke my voodoo by Rovers winning at Cardiff.

We lost at home to.Luton in a Mowbray horror show when selection tactics subs and motivation were all wrong to.set up this absolute must win game ... For Luton.

I fancy us to win this and get close to the 5 Reading scored at Kenilworth Road.

Luton are a very limited side and even with injuries we probably have two complete elevens who could beat them.

I would like to see yesterday's starting team with Buckley in place of Johnson.

I fancy Luton tactics will be to keep it tight and profit from the inevitable Rovers mistakes. Total dig in if Luton get ahead.

If we score first we will get lots of chances to add to the lead.

Well, at least we know that if Luton lob anything towards our goal there is a  42% chance it will go in if Walton is between the sticks.

Maybe we will see Gamst goal style of play, maybe it will be another horror story.  All we can know in advance is that for us it is a dead rubber, but for Luton it is a 6 pointer potential lifeline for staying in the division. Personally I don't care who drops, or whether we send Luton down or not, just as long as the Rovers play to win.

giphy.gif

Even though our season is dead, there is still a lot riding on this game for other teams, we still have our part to play.

Luton obviously need to win. They current sit in the relegation zone on GD but can get to 51 points with a win. With Boro, Charlton and Birmingham all on 50, they could overtake any of those should results go their way.

Wigan also still in the mix with the 12 point deduction looming. They can get to 61 points but then knock off the 12 and they are back down to 49. They do have a huge GD on Luton though.

With Hull already down, 1 place left for someone. A few teams in the mix.

Luton pulled off a must win victory yesterday and they’ll do the same against us. I can’t see any way we will win this as we always fold against teams with strong desire and will to win - examples since lockdown being Wigan and Barnsley 

Luton 2 Rovers 0 to complete a double for the Hatters and demonstrate why this season has been so disappointing yet again when a top 6 place should have been achievable in a poor division 

Yep. money on Luton for this one.

A MUST WIN game for Luton who will be too hungry and have too much desire for us - a great result for them yesterday.

Best thing Mowbray can do is pick a team with players with things to prove and who will bust a gut for us.  Tear into them from first whistle and give it a feckin good go.  Sadly, Mowbray being Mowbray, I doubt he will do this.

I'd go with: Hilton or Fisher / Nyambe, Carter, Lenihan, Thompson / Chapman, Travis, Rothwell, Rankin-Costello / Brereton, Armstrong

• Like 4

Such a bloody shame this is on a Wednesday night with no fans present as it could have been such an exciting final day of the season.

I don't usually want us to ever lose, but I'd much rather Luton stayed up than them rats from Birmingham, horrible horrible club.

They've only lost once since Jones returned, probably would be comfortably safe had he been there all season.

If I had to pick a score it'd be 2-2, which could keep them up too if Charlton lose.

• Like 1

They've put in their token last effort i think they switch off in this one and Mowbray will revert to type, one game of pressing every 5 or 6 remember. Too many is bad for the old nerves and comfort zone so back to trying to contain the opposition.

Danny Graham to get maybe his last ever Rovers goal.

Luton  3    Rovers   1

If yesterday is anything to go by, this could be any score in either direction. Luton won't be as open and won't let us create at will like we seemed to against Reading. Equally, they don't have the likes of Swift who will can pick out the bottom corner from 25 yards with their first shot.

I'd back both teams to score, other than that, no idea. 

As in most games it'll be the team that want's it the most that wins it. So I can't see beyond a Luton win but Rovers are pretty unpredictable at the moment. If Luton do win it will mean that they've done the double over us. Think about that for a minute. Our performances against the lesser teams have been woeful again.

• Like 1

Clearly there’s a lot more at stake for Luton than ourselves but after Huddersfield/Wagner gifted Birmingham points when we were relegated I hope we honour the spirit of fair play and try.

That said I hope we do actually play a lot of the kids mainly because I think we have a better chance of winning. I’ll be gutted if revert to Bennett and keep playing bloody Walton.

Although we have an inability to play vs relegation threatened sides as the dead rubber world champions Luton will be in for a game.

Plus if Luton win and it results in that scouse dingle Cook going down or the big club. Sweet. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 1

• Backroom

It's all going to depend on how Luton handle the pressure. It may not technically be a 'must win' for Luton but they know a win is the absolute best chance they have of staying up and will obviously be aiming solely for that. We will be our usual selves with some good play and some bad play, and we'll give Luton opportunities to score as we do every team we play. It will be a case of whether Luton have the bottle to take those chances and put themselves on the front foot. If they don't then we have enough about us to punish them. A very interesting end to the season regardless and I'm glad we're involved in a match with some stakes rather than a dead-rubber.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

No it's not.

This is the table as things stand - without Wigan's points deduction:

table.gif.bfb1003aef8e0c436ead0a236b717bb2.gif

If Charlton get beat at Leeds, and Barnsley to fail to win both of their remaining two games, then a point would be enough for Luton.

Now let's look at the table as things stand, but this time with Wigan's points deduction:

table-wigan.gif.da4cb9b36b7adae707cce5debf13c9b1.gif

Looks quite different, doesn't it?! Even Hull could stay up on goal-difference if they managed a win at Cardiff, we beat Luton, and Wigan don't beat Fulham.

There are so many permutations, but I just wanted to dispel the "MUST-WIN GAME for Luton" claim, as it actually isn't.

And that's the attitude that gets mid-table or worse

No it's not.

If Charlton get beat at Leeds, and Barnsley to fail to win both of their remaining two games, then a point would be enough for Luton.

Now let's look at the table as things stand, but this time with Wigan's points deduction:

Looks quite different, doesn't it?! Even Hull could stay up on goal-difference if they managed a win at Cardiff, we beat Luton, and Wigan don't beat Fulham.

There are so many permutations, but I just wanted to dispel the "MUST-WIN GAME for Luton" claim, as it actually isn't.

It’s a must win game for Wigan. If they do not win, they are relegated. 

No it's not.

Luton “must win” for it to be in their hands. Anything else and they are relying on Fulham - who may rest players for the play-offs.

Same situation for Charlton really.

Having seen Luton several times they are a hard working, robust side with big lads up front and in defensive positions. I am not really concerned about Lutons or Wigans points but from our perspective it would do the seven Academy players we had out yesterday the world of good to play in this game. I don't want any sentimental team selections from Mowbray using players who won't be here next season. Our future is these youngsters.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, rigger said:

If Wigan don’t beat Fulham they are down and Luton are safe even if they lose. A bit like when we won the league

I like Luton and I’ve been hoping they’d stay up. Been on ana amazing run and they’ve some decent players like James Bree on loan from Villa, Pelly Ruddick in the middle and the winger front three man I like Harry Cornick.

Hope we send a lesser side out and go easy. It would be such a shame to lose this one and Wigan to get a -12 points given there love they showed us on both relegations, continued Venky’s and Cheering Dacks injury. How karma has a chance of biting back!

Seems nearly everyone agrees we need to play the youth and drop players that arnt going to be here next season. I also remember plenty of our fans raging at Huddersfield for something similar the year we went down even hoping they were to get relegated because of it. It’s a funny old game isn’t it 

• Like 3

Hope we send them down. Nothing personal but we've suffered too many relegations and seen too many promotion/championship parties for other teams for my liking.

I'd keep the same team as yesterday but swap Walton for Fisher.

Would go for a similar team but Chapman has to start, Davenport also should start over Johnson and id even be tempted to go with Brereton and Gallagher up top centrally together, perfect opportunity. Bring Armstrong on later on.

Fisher/Hilton

Nyambe Lenihan Carter Rankin Costello

Chapman Travis Davenport Rothwell

Brereton Gallagher

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would go for a similar team but Chapman has to start, Davenport also should start over Johnson and id even be tempted to go with Brereton and Gallagher up top centrally together, perfect opportunity. Bring Armstrong on later on.

Fisher/Hilton

Nyambe Lenihan Carter Rankin Costello

Chapman Travis Davenport Rothwell

Brereton Gallagher

I don't think its a random coincidence that Sam scored with a winger whipping it in for him yesterday. Don't get me wrong he's not amazing but it would certainly benefit him playing in a team with Chappers

• Like 2