BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town away

Play the same team as yesterday. Don't change it. 

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Carter Rankin Costello

Travis Johnson

Brereton      Holtby         Rothwell

Armstrong

Edited by chaddyrovers

Walton

Nyambe    Lenihan          Tosin     JRC

Travis          Johnson

Gallagher              Holtby            Rothwell

Armstrong

Whilst I would like to see more of our young players given a chance I believe that we have a duty to those other sides battling relegation to play our regular first 11.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Walton

Travis          Johnson

Armstrong

Whilst I would like to see more of our young players given a chance I believe that we have a duty to those other sides battling relegation to play our regular first 11.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Do you want us to field as strong a team as possible, or do you want us to field our regular first 11?

As much as I'd love to see the next generation of talent come through and cement themselves in the side, I'm sure it won't please the agents running the club.

There's a reason we've had a revolving door of players in the last decade.

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Play the same team as yesterday. Don't change it. 

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Carter Rankin Costello

Travis Johnson

Brereton      Holtby         Rothwell

Armstrong

Was Brereton on the wing? Holtby and Rothwell seemed to be coming in from the wings, Brereton more central.

Surely time to give Chapman a start after a wonderful match winning assist.

42 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Walton

Travis          Johnson

Armstrong

Tosin and Johnson shouldn't be anywhere near this team.

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Was Brereton on the wing? Holtby and Rothwell seemed to be coming in from the wings, Brereton more central.

Surely time to give Chapman a start after a wonderful match winning assist.

Did you not read my posts about the way that Brereton and Holtby interchange their positions during the game? More of the same please. 

The front 4 impressed me with their movement, roaming and interchanging positions of Holtby and Brereton. 

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Walton

Travis          Johnson

Armstrong

If we play our regular 11 we will get beaten. Play the players that will be here next season. We only have a duty to Blackburn Rovers. Your team doesn’t include Downing or Bennett who have been in our regular 11

Edited by rigger

Yeah, I’d like to see younger guys in the finale. Take off Johnson for sure. 
Are we persuaded Fisher is the better alternative over Walton? Heck, yeah, give him a try, let’s see what happens. 

anyone fancy Pearson? He’s available...

Edited by WacoRover

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

I don't think its a random coincidence that Sam scored with a winger whipping it in for him yesterday. Don't get me wrong he's not amazing but it would certainly benefit him playing in a team with Chappers

That's what happens when you get up the side of teams. A deep cross from wide, left full back gets turned around watching play, Gallagher comes steaming in out of sight and gets the drop on the defender to head a good goal. You can play in front of teams all day long and not much happens, get their back four turned around and it's another story all together.

Of course we'd usually prefer to play blokes out there who can't cross a ball or beat a full back with the ball at their feet so we don't create many chances like that one.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's what happens when you get up the side of teams. A deep cross from wide, left full back gets turned around watching play, Gallagher comes steaming in out of sight and gets the drop on the defender to head a good goal. You can play in front of teams all day long and not much happens, get their back four turned around and it's another story all together.

Of course we'd usually prefer to play blokes out there who can't cross a ball or beat a full back with the ball at their feet so we don't create many chances like that one.

Tony wants to play possession-football. You can't have those flighty wingers trying to get past defenders and giving the ball away with wayward crosses.

• Like 2

Just now, Amo said:

Tony wants to play possession-football. You can't have those flighty wingers trying to get past defenders and giving the ball away with wayward crosses.

That's the style today. As you suggest it can be wasteful, especially if your wide players can't cross a ball.   The top Prem teams prefer a possession based game because they're up against a better class of big defender by and large. I still think getting the ball out wide can be effective at our level.

was a great cross from chapman,when i played full back the worst opponent was a genuine quick wide player who tried to turn you round or beat you to get his cross in,it used to end up with me getting booked or sent off(hence i was never much use!!!)i could handle the clumsy big oafs that used to play there no problem,it must run true in the pro game as well,a full backs worst nightmare is someone running at him and getting crosses in

• Like 1

Even at top level it can work. The Giroud goal tonight is a classic example. The Chelsea full back gets to the bye line and puts in a low teasing cross. Giroud nips in from behind the centre half, who doesn't see him coming, to get to the ball first and flicks the ball goalwards. De Gea has no real reaction time because the play is so close and before he can react the ball is over the line and into the net.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

was a great cross from chapman,when i played full back the worst opponent was a genuine quick wide player who tried to turn you round or beat you to get his cross in,it used to end up with me getting booked or sent off(hence i was never much use!!!)i could handle the clumsy big oafs that used to play there no problem,it must run true in the pro game as well,a full backs worst nightmare is someone running at him and getting crosses in

Or the slow but clever " Wagstaffe " type of winger who never beat you once but ran the game by playing just outside of your zone. if you went deep to mark him you found the centre forward running into the space you'd just left.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

6 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Seems nearly everyone agrees we need to play the youth and drop players that arnt going to be here next season. I also remember plenty of our fans raging at Huddersfield for something similar the year we went down even hoping they were to get relegated because of it. It’s a funny old game isn’t it 

10 changes is not the same as dropping a few deadwood players and giving two or three youngsters a chance.

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

10 changes is not the same as dropping a few deadwood players and giving two or three youngsters a chance.

If you mean Huddersfield. The manager did the best for his club. I would hope that we have the same attitude.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did you not read my posts about the way that Brereton and Holtby interchange their positions during the game? More of the same please. 

The front 4 impressed me with their movement, roaming and interchanging positions of Holtby and Brereton. 

To me on saturday we played

Travis  Johnson Rothwell

Brereton   Holtby    Armstrong

With holtby dropping deeper and Rothwell floating when in possesion

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Seems nearly everyone agrees we need to play the youth and drop players that arnt going to be here next season. I also remember plenty of our fans raging at Huddersfield for something similar the year we went down even hoping they were to get relegated because of it. It’s a funny old game isn’t it 

If I remember correctly Wagner made 10 changes to his side that day from the previous match, which they'd won to guarantee their place in the playoffs. That changed team then lost 2-0 to a relegation-threatened Brum team that had a man sent off after 20 odd mins when it was 0-0. In the playoffs, Wagner then returned to a line up similar to that he'd selected in the previous match, and of course won the playoffs.

(Yes, it still hurts.)

That's very different to us using only players who will be here next season. I suspect Walton will play, then it'll be Nyambe or Bennett, Lenihan, JRC, Carter, Travis, Johnson or Davenport, Rothwell, Armstrong, BB or Gallagher or Graham, and Holtby. 

That's hardly the same as what Wagner did with his wholesale changes.

I have absolutely no doubt that Mowbray will respect the integrity of the competition, whilst also doing his job for this club by looking to next season. Whilst the latter was definitely true in respect of Wagner, the former definitely wasn't. 

Edited by Atko's Engine

Maybe Wagner wanted to have a look at the youth and fringe players to see who could cut it whilst resting players to give his team the best chance at the play offs and keeping his squad happy. 

If we lost to Luton with Hilton in goal ( which many are suggesting) carter at Cb and rankin Costello at left back , plus vale, chapman and Buckley coming off the bench, I don’t see the difference 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2