BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Goalkeepers

So, after losing a goalkeeper capable of challenging for automatic promotion and replacing him with a season long loan, Mowbray has a decision to make again this Summer.

From the patter recently it seems that Brighton “want Walton back” - which is probably code for: we are looking to sign him for an undisclosed fee but want to make it look as though we had to work hard to get him because of how in demand he is. Personally I’d argue we need better. He has a decent stop in him on his day and when the ball is within arms reach. Sadly his day isn’t often enough and he seems to struggle to get over if the ball is played anywhere out of reach - particularly on free kicks, maybe a decent gk coach could fix this with foot work. In his defence, ironically, he is behind a pretty average defence, also with no depth, and has been for much of the season.

In terms of alternatives there are precious few noises. Joe Hart and Karl Darlow seem to keep coming around but other than that no strong rumours.

We also need to replace Leutwiler who didn’t push Raya and doesn’t push Walton, and seems more than happy to be a non-playing member of staff, so whatever happens it would be very surprising if we didn’t bring in at least one new man between the sticks. I wouldn’t be averse to bringing in Walton as a number two with an upgrade at number one but this seems unlikely.

With this in mind, let’s take a look at keepers who come from the stable of Rovers existing player agencies - which seems to be our default - as we can see, it’s a pretty incestuous business!

Unique Sports Management (Bennett, Graham, Bell)

James Montgomery - Flyde - age 26

Michael Cooper - Plymouth - 20

Daniel Graham (!) - Ayr United - 20

Max Johnson - Ex St Johnson (MU stock) - 21

Karl Darrow - Newcastle - 29

Jordan Archer - Fulham - 27

Seny Dieng - QPR - 25

Matija Sarkic - Villa - 22

Christy Pym - Peterbrough - 25

Dillon Barnes - QPR - 24

Nathan Bishop - Man U - 20

Major League Sports (Lenihan)

No keepers

Crown Football / Simon Conning (Gallagher, Magloire)

Christian Walton (!) - Brighton - 24

Chris Maxwell - Blackpool - 29

Midas Sports (Nyambe - Ex Crown ?)

Matt Macey - Arsenal - 25

Sam Walker - Reading - 28

Adam Parkes - Watford - 20

Stellar Football (Armstrong)

Many ridiculous names with upwards of £15m fees that I won’t list

Nick Pope - Burnley - 28

Fraser Forster - Southampton - 32

Sergio Romero - Man U - 33

Wayne Hennessey - Palace - 33

Jed Steer - Villa - 27

Runar Alex Runarsson - Dijon - 25

Eloy Room - Columbus Crew - 31

Caoimhin Kelleher - Liverpool - 21

Wes Foderingham - Sheff U - 29

David Marshall - Wigan - 35

Frank Fielding - Millwall - 32

Kieran Westwood - Sheff W - 35

Joe Fryer - Boro - 24

Nathan Trott - West Ham - 21

Robert Sanchez - Brighton - 22

Base Soccer (Samuel, Davenport, Butterworth)

Daniel Schmidt - St Truiden - 28

Lawrence Thomas - Melbourne - 28

Mark Gillespie - Newcastle - 28

Joe Lewis - Aberdeen - 32

Stefan Marinovic - Wellington - 28

Conor Hazard - Celtic - 22

Luke Southwood - Reading - 22

SEM Group (Smallwood)

Shwan Jalal - Chesterfield - 36

Florent Chaigneau - Montagnarde - 36

Wasserman (Downing, plus now Brereton and Chapman - both ex-Key Sports who also managed Peter Whittingham)

Zack Steffen - Man C - 25

David Button - Brighton - 31

Scott Carson - Man C - 34

George Long - Hull - 26

Nick Marsman - Feyenord - 29

Simon Moore - Sheff U - 30

Adam Bogdan - Ferencvaros - 32

Lee Nicholls - MK Dons - 27

Omni-Sports (Hart, Wharton, Carter)

Neil Etheridge - Cardiff - 30

Ben Amos - Charlton - 30

Jonathan Mitchell - Derby - 25

Jordan Smith - Forest - 25

Ben Wilson - Coventry - 27

Jack Walton - Barnsley - 22

Sam Hornby - Bradford - 25

Murdock Sports Group / Jackie Evans (Evans, Travis, Rothwell, also Travis ? )

Jason Steele - Brighton - 29

Side note Platinum One Group used to manage Derrick Williams, now managed by ‘relatives’ and now coincidentally out of the team.

Alan Manus - Shamrock Rovers - 38

(Taken from transfermarkt data)

Any standouts - or other suggestions?

One keeper who we could be looking to sign ex St Mirren's keeper Vaclav Hladky. Out of contract. 29 years old. 

Read an article online saying he had offers from Championship last week

We have been linked with WBA Jonathan Bond

Edited by chaddyrovers

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would look at ex St Mirren's keeper Vaclav Hladky. Out of contract. 29 years old. 

Read an article on loan saying he had offers from Championship last week

A question im sure youd ask others, how many times have you seen him play, and what are his strengths and weaknesses? A player released by St Mirren hardly gets people excited!

Etheridge stands out from the above list, a goalkeeper who has always impressed me at Cardiff but for some reason is second choice at the moment.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A question im sure youd ask others, how many times have you seen him play, and what are his strengths and weaknesses? A player released by St Mirren hardly gets people excited!

Etheridge stands out from the above list, a goalkeeper who has always impressed me at Cardiff but for some reason is second choice at the moment.

10 clean sheets in 30 league games this past season. 

I haven't seen him play but I read an article last week saying he had interest from Rangers and number of Championship club interest. That's why I have suggested him. I have asked @PeteJD13 about him who knows more than me about SPL and he said he is top keeper. 

Here is the article I read

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/vaclav-hladky-makes-rangers-transfer-20816060

But Hladky wants to find a club in the English Championship and use it as a stepping stone to the Premier League.

He said: “Rangers are interested in me and some negotiations are under way. But playing in England is the big dream. The biggest dream is to play in the Premier League but that is a big jump.

“I know I will need to make another step first on the way. I’m not crazy enough to think I can go from St Mirren directly to the English top division. Going to the Championship would be ideal for me. That is preferable to staying in Scotland.”

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

won't he be signing permanent for AC Milan where he was on loan

Im sure i heard a radio or tv interview where he was saying his family are all here etc...just a shout. Just checked, he doesn't get a game for milan. Probably the money he would want might scupper it

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Bloody hell, he thinks highly of himself and Brighton doesn't he?

He's really looking forward to going back to a great club and Premier League set up. Brighton..great? 

He showed glimpses of a Premier League keeper this season but in the main he's far from ready. Far too many mistakes and with less games, more money and harder competition it won't wash in the Prem. He'd be dropped by Christmas if he delivers just a fraction of the mistakes he has made here.

• Like 1

I would take Walton at £1.5 million, no more. Get another keeper in then as proper competition on loan or a free. He is only 24, which is young for a keeper. Probably (just about) more bad than good this season. What strikes me about him is that he isn't massively athletic. He looks cumbersome and slow coming out, even a bit akward. Still that's not a deal breaker for a keeper if they are tall , handle the ball well, kick well and can command their area(all of which he can do at times to be fair). I can't see him starting for Brighton next season. He could easily go back and realise that pretty quickly, before being loaned again. Us signing him on loan again would be the worst possible outcome. 

I would like to see us sign a keeper 30 plus who has a played a lot of games at this level. How we let Wigan sign Marshall last summer, I do not know. Would have been ideal. 

Weren't we linked with a loan for the Arsenal keeper last summer? He looks the business. Good thing he stayed there! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So Walton won’t be here next season, he is looking forward to leaving, reading between the lines the manager doesn’t rate him.

So he plays on Wednesday why, exactly?

We haven't got another goalkeeper anywhere near the standard. 

Leutwiler is worse. The young lads they .just not rate